Pokémon Entei

Status
Not open for further replies.
if entei gets really common crocune will probably rise as well since it's a pressure users that can take sacred fires with ease

I've tried both the choice band and the assault vest sets and I find this set with a life orb to be just as good.

Entei @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Flame Charge
- Bulldoze

While it may seem a bit gimmicky, the benefits of switching moves and still being able to hit hard shouldn't be underestimated. Sometimes I hit with flame charge before sacred fire to attempt to get past whatever check or counter my opponent switches in and attempt a sweep. Other times certain counters who anticipate a band fall to Sacred Fire + Extreme Speed. I find that this set excels at taking a few pokemon down with it but can't pull off a sweep unless the other team is very weakened to begin with. I chose Life Orb over Assault Vest because that extra power really makes a difference netting a few 2HKOs on the switch although the recoil is a bit of a turnoff. A Flame Playe could be useful over Life Orb but then Extreme Speed becomes really lackluster and limits Entei's job in general.

Is no one running a defensive set? I wish it got intimidate
I don't know if a defensive set would be viable as it is almost utterly outclassed by Arcanine as he comes with Intimidate and a recovery move in Morning Sun. The Entei defensive set would really only have the one up on Arcanine as you would have an attacking move as the burn move in one as where Arcanine would generally carry Flare Blitz and Will-o-Wisp instead. Yet I still cant see running a defensive set with him though.

you can't run a full defensive setup anyway, entei is forced to run adamant. assault vest still works pretty well though. not like he gets any good non attacking moves anyway

Base 90 is not horrible. The set itself isn't fantastic, but a full-powered STAB Eruption won't not hurt Entei's usual checks. Except Rotom-W.

I am crazy enough to run Flare Blitz and Sacred Fire on the same set.

Entei@Choice Band
Adamant
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4 Def
- Flare Blitz
- Espeed
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge

I can't rely on the low pp of Sacred Fire too much. Having 2 physical Fire-Moves sound counterproductive (I spelled it wrong, didn't I?), but I often find the situation, where I can't rely on Sacred Fire burn chance (as high as it might be) and just go for the more powerful move. Stone Edge is the only coverage move I need. Rock Typs are mostly physical and should be useless after a burn.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
You are not going to run out of Sacred Fire PP

In like 100 games with Entei, I ran out once because they had a weak to it after rotom-w was down and i just cleaned shit up with Entei, and it didn't matter since they had only gene left when I ran out.

Bulldoze is useful. Flare Blitz isn't.

Well to be fair, on a Choice Set running Flare Blitz in addition to Sacred Fire isn't the worst idea if it's guaranteed to kill something a hit sooner than all your other moves. Bulldoze is less useful one a Choice Set specifically because it's primarily for Heatran. If Heatran is using the common balloon set then Entei can't touch Heatran if you predicted right with Bulldoze, or didn't and he absorbs Sacred Fire, and you're forced out anyway if he switched into Espeed because you can't switch moves. Outside of Heatran Bulldoze can be useful on AV sets to soften and slow down faster grounded threats giving Entei the leg up on them for his other moves. So no, specifically on choice sets I don't think Flare Blitz over Bulldoze is a horrible idea

You are not going to run out of Sacred Fire PP
In like 100 games with Entei, I ran out once because they had a weak to it after rotom-w was down and i just cleaned shit up with Entei, and it didn't matter since they had only gene left when I ran out.

Bulldoze is useful. Flare Blitz isn't.
I agree with UltiMario, Bulldoze ensures you won't be walled by the all too common Heatran. For some reason, most Heatran users don't expect Bulldoze, which is a OHKO with the choice band set. But anyways, I love Entei! With his great strength I was able to kill a Gyrados with Intimidate by running with Sacred Fire. He switched in to "check" me, but my first SF burned him, so he Mega evolved, but I killed him on my second attack, lol. I can't wake for Pokebank to open so I can transfer my Shiny Entei over :) Come on Nintendo I believe in you!

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Well to be fair, on a Choice Set running Flare Blitz in addition to Sacred Fire isn't the worst idea if it's guaranteed to kill something a hit sooner than all your other moves. Bulldoze is less useful one a Choice Set specifically because it's primarily for Heatran. If Heatran is using the common balloon set then Entei can't touch Heatran if you predicted right with Bulldoze, or didn't and he absorbs Sacred Fire, and you're forced out anyway if he switched into Espeed because you can't switch moves. Outside of Heatran Bulldoze can be useful on AV sets to soften and slow down faster grounded threats giving Entei the leg up on them for his other moves. So no, specifically on choice sets I don't think Flare Blitz over Bulldoze is a horrible idea
CB is kind of the only viable Entei set anyways, it's just too weak otherwise.

If you really expect Balloon Tran, you can go for Stone Edge. It still does a decent ~45% and pops the balloon, and if you have rocks up, it means Heatran is forced to switch out or die anyways since it doesn't have lefties to put it back in a safe range, which is also nice.

I don't know about you guys, but I find it depressingly hard to build a team that needs Entei. I have a team running Gene/Rotom-W/Lando-T and I never seem to have the chance to switch in Entei. I don't know if I'm using him wrong or just too afraid of it dying.

I don't know about you guys, but I find it depressingly hard to build a team that needs Entei. I have a team running Gene/Rotom-W/Lando-T and I never seem to have the chance to switch in Entei. I don't know if I'm using him wrong or just too afraid of it dying.
I run him as a bulky attacker. My EV's are 252HP/252Atk/4 Spe, these give the him the bulk to take quite a few hits. I also switch him in on predictable WoW attacks. And as long as they don't have Heatran (Or the rare-ish Flash Fire Arcanine) Just spam SF. Nothing can happily switch into it. If the mon resists it, he will still be burned, usually. And some other common fire types that switch in are Infernape and Talonflame, all of which can't take the sheer power of the attack.

252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Sacred Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 163-192 (55.6 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Sacred Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 163-192 (54.6 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

These are the two most common fire type switch ins that I find. Both of which fail to OHKO you back, even if the Infernape is carrying a Life Orb and Stone Edge:

252 Atk Life Orb Infernape Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Entei: 278-330 (74.7 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is just such an awesome set.

I really wish that Entei got Earthquake. I know it has Bulldoze, but EQ is much better in every way possible.

Other than that, Sacred Fire is Entei's saving grace, and for those who say that Entei's main issue is entry hazards, remember that they aren't as prevalent as they used to be now that Defog is a thing. With this, Mandibuzz, Scizor or Latios can make a great partner, especially with the fact that the only one out of these three that takes damage from spikes and Earthquake, and be affected by Sticky Web is Scizor, and he only takes neutral damage from EQ anyway and isn't affected at all by Toxic Spikes, something I hardly ever see anymore.

While Sacred Fire is the core reason why Entei has had a sudden surge in viability, that isn't the sole reason. There are a few factors in this generational step that has made some changes to using Entei. After a tremendous amount of games both on Wifi against many players including skilled uploaders on youtube and on ladder on Showdown I have come up with a these findings that has made Entei much better this gen:

[1] - The incredible buff to Defog. Entei loves support / walls with Defog such as Mandibuzz (which I've been testing with Entei). The ability to wall many physical threats, taunt hazard setters and easily defog all hazards is amazing. Being stealth rock weak and prone to both spikes and sticky web is a huge problem, but this gens defog and Mandibuzz makes it so sweet for this Volcanic Beast.

[2] - The addition of the Sticky Web hazard. While this effects Entei as well, if you are running him you should have a good rapid spinner or preferebly a defogger in your team and get rid of the opponents hazards and learn how to set yours after. Unless they have both a defogger and a setter like you which is rare they will usually lose out on the hazard battle, as I've found it easy to take out their rapid spinners. Having Sticky Web out on the field this gen greatly helps Entei's above average speed to great levels, outspeeding Infernape, Garchomp, Terrakion, Keldeo, etc which suddenly can't switch into your Sacred Fires anymore as not only did they already risk being burned, but now get outsped and KOed by Sacred Fire. Overall if you manage to have stealth rock or just sticky web support along with a good defogger to help entei with stealth rock, spikes, and opposing sticky web you will realise just how much powerful this guy is.

[3] - The extremely high usage of Aegislash, Talonflame, and Mega Lucario. Entei actually checks these in three different ways that you wouldn't expect but that I've found over many games. Aegislash is the easy one - there's almost nothing it can do and your sacred fire is not only OHKO but it doesn't make contact rendering King's Shield useless stall against Entei. Talonflame is a commong switch in but fails to OHKO and gets 2HKOed by sacred fire (once on the switch and second time after brave bird) so you don't even need to predict the switch into stone edge, which enables you to keep spamming Sacred Fire after without being locked into Stone Edge. All other situations Talonflame loses to either a Stone Edge after failing to OHKO Entei or loses to Extreme Speed. Finally, Mega Lucario's adaptability close combat has a measily 30% chance to OHKO with close combat against an Entei with completely no defense / bulk investment. With some investment which is completely doable because of the forced adamant nature, it almost never OHKOs and gets OHKOed back by Sacred Fire, so I've realised many of my opponents who have had this experience actually switch out when Entei is facing their mega Lucario.

The Numbers showing failure to OHKO:
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Entei: 170-202 (89 - 105.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Entei: 142-168 (74.3 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Entei: 94-112 (49.2 - 58.6%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO (with leftovers running perhaps Sword Dance)

[4] - Great options to allow Entei to enter the field. Volt-Turn Cores are a great idea to allow Entei to enter, and this gen there are some really powerful options that weren't present before. I've been having amazing success with Genesect, Mega Manetric, and even Noivern. The first two are definitely the two best new additions but Noivern's speed and niche lets it fit well if you know how to utilize it's strengths. You have the ever prominent Rotom-W just as strong this gen to help with slow Volt Switches as well. The point is you don't need to force half-viable volt-turn pokes onto your team for the nice entries with Entei, he has great powerful options that not only provide volt-turn but their own strengths. Genesect is a powerful attacker and cleaner that has it's only weakness covered by Entei, allowing to u-turn out of fire moves into safe entrance of Entei and Mega Manetric is a decent attacker that is amazing with Intimidating and Volt Switching out into a safe entrance of Entei especially if that poke is physical and just got intimidated.

[5] - Finally, we talk about Sacred Fire. As mentioned, this the core reason why Entei has more viability, but the reason's are more than what meets the eye. Sacred Fire on paper is already deadly enough, IMO one of the best moves in the game being 100BP almost max accuracy and packing a whopping 50% chance to burn. Backed by stab and choice band coming off 115 positive natured attack and you have a absolutely devastating ability that burns half the time. Incredible. It's good to send Entei in to deal with pokes vulnerable to Sacred Fire, this forces switches which we want when using the beast. This threatens switch ins to get hit hard even if resisted and spreads burns to the enemies teams. If played well, you will often cause several burns that cripple physical attackers / walls and wear down special attackers / walls.This not only puts pressure on the enemy team to ponder whether to make the switch in in the first place, e.g. switch in Terrakion, Tyranitar, Garchomp etc risking the burn. So against those that are neutral or weak to Sacred Fire Entei wrecks, and for those switch ins or checks the burn and sheer power behind the attack is still so damn difficult to deal with immediately making Entei a threat to any team.

Aside from burning, hitting hard and forcing switches, Entei while lacking great coverage, has a hard-hitting Stone Edge to deal with common switch ins and even flying types, and Extreme Speed is great for many situations with all the priority floating around in the tier (especially that damn brave bird). I do prefer Bulldoze as the last option to hit heatran, and if you predict wrong the 100% chance to lower speed is always beneficial to your team thereafter. All in all I'm pretty happy with the results I've been getting with Entei this gen, there's so much more to him now then there was before.

Pseudo quakeedge? Yes pls
Burnmania with 100bp stab? Yes pls
Faster than talonflame? Fuck yea
Gets the jump on rotomw+? Sweet!

Move aside birdies, the dogs are let out n' goin' to town BABY

So I have recently been given a Shiny Entei Via a Giveaway. Sadly, it is of a Quirky Nature, so no great boost to Attack or Speed, and (obviously) doesn't come with E-Speed or Flare Blitz. Thankfully, I have found that it does at least have near perfect IV's in Speed and Attack, so there's that.

With all this taken into account, what would be the best set to run? Im guessing Sacred fire/Stone Edge/Bulldoze are pretty obvious, and I still want to Run a choice banded set, but the 4th move? Bite? Return? Does it even matter, as I'll probably never use this 4th move anyways?

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread

So I have recently been given a Shiny Entei Via a Giveaway. Sadly, it is of a Quirky Nature, so no great boost to Attack or Speed, and (obviously) doesn't come with E-Speed or Flare Blitz. Thankfully, I have found that it does at least have near perfect IV's in Speed and Attack, so there's that.

With all this taken into account, what would be the best set to run? Im guessing Sacred fire/Stone Edge/Bulldoze are pretty obvious, and I still want to Run a choice banded set, but the 4th move? Bite? Return? Does it even matter, as I'll probably never use this 4th move anyways?

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread
Look up the ho-oh thread. SleepTalk is an excellent move if you have absolutely nothing else to slap onto him.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have no fucking idea why this thing isn't used more often. I'm running one on a team right now and it completely took me by surprise, it's dealing so much damage to shit with CB Sacred Fire. It's my #1 answer to fairies. Things like Sylveon, Clefable, and Gardevoir, they're all 2HKO'd (in Gardevoir's case, OHKO'd) with Sacred Fire. The fact that Entei's a fucking nuke with CB isn't the only thing making it so awesome, the real thing is Sacred Fire. Literally nothing likes switching into it, even things like Tyranitar and Lando-T, because they fear a burn. This alone gives me so much momentum to shuffle the opponent's team, spread burns, and put him into enough pressure to sacrifice a Pokemon or two.

That, along with arguably one of the best priorities in the game, Stone Edge, and Bulldoze, which can OHKO Heatran switch-ins.

Only problem is Sacred Fire's low-as-hell PP, but the only two times I ran out of PP were after Entei had already done his job, which is to burn shit and bring down walls. And another time, when I used it late-game to just spam sacred fire.

Last edited:
Man I really love the assault vest set. Laughs off so many special attackers, he's so monstrous I love it.

And the best part is, he's actually relatively easy to fit onto a team. Lack a physical attacker, he will not disappoint. Spreading burns like its his job (it is) and priority that beats talonflame. Counters his counters (heatran), and tanks more than one hit. Worst case scenario, he punches a bunch of holes into the opposing team and scores at least a burn.

He's awesome.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Entei simply lacks power with the AV set, meaning that you are gonna be praying for a burn more often then not, though AV's increased survivability is welcomed, even more so if hazards are dealt with.

Overall, the thing has one of the most spammable moves in the game, with a fantastic side effect, and good stats overall, so Entei definitely has what it takes to function well in OU with some support.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Heatran is a better bulky fire type with the ability to spread burns and Charizard X is a better physical fire type - Entei is essentially a combination of the two so it suffers from a middle child syndrome.

Entei also suffers from the same issues as Keldeo: it has a very, very good exclusive move that automatically makes it viable in OU, a secondary move that complements it well (Extremespeed in Entei's case, Surf/Hydro Pump for Keldeo) but its coverage moves are more or less complete crap.
Bulldoze is simply awful, Stone Edge has accuracy issues and Iron Head has poor coverage. That's the extent of Entei's physical movepool.

Been said that, it's easy to see why Entei isn't very common in OU. It can be good, but most of the time it's not easy to justify a team slot for it.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'd have to disagree with the above posters. Bulldoze isn't awful, as it lets it get by Heatran, who walks over most fire types. Stone Edge is a good move, and the mere threat of it is enough to keep Talonflame/Volcarona/Charizard far away. And it's been said already how good Sacred Fire + Extremespeed are.

The AV set is my favorite, as it's very specially bulky, hits hard (115 Attack is not really underwhelming), and makes physical walls less likely to come in with that 50% burn chance. Entei's one of my favorites this generation.

Heatran is a better bulky fire type with the ability to spread burns and Charizard X is a better physical fire type - Entei is essentially a combination of the two so it suffers from a middle child syndrome.

Entei also suffers from the same issues as Keldeo: it has a very, very good exclusive move that automatically makes it viable in OU, a secondary move that complements it well (Extremespeed in Entei's case, Surf/Hydro Pump for Keldeo) but its coverage moves are more or less complete crap.
Bulldoze is simply awful, Stone Edge has accuracy issues and Iron Head has poor coverage. That's the extent of Entei's physical movepool.

Been said that, it's easy to see why Entei isn't very common in OU. It can be good, but most of the time it's not easy to justify a team slot for it.
What are u talking about entei is a freaking wallbreaker and a late game cleaner, heatran's a tank and charx is a sweeper. All perform different roles so it is downright unfair to say that it has middle child syndrome.

Charizardx can't score the same 2kos that banded entei can, and loads of things are a full stop to it. However, there are very few things that can switch in safely on a banded sacred fire without risking the burn. Heatran burns stuff better, but as most run a defensive spectrum of ev spectrum it can't pose much of an offensive presence without losing it's walling and tanking ability.

Espeed is a godsend, and stone edge is practically being run on a third of physical sweepers for that coverage, despite it being 'downright terrible'.

U can't really call bulldoze terrible, as Entei really only needs it for heatran, period. Any other thing it faces, sacred fire will obliterate and cleanse.

Oh I'll take entei over charx and heatran anytime man. Even over darm and talonflame. Fuck momentum grabbing, cause WHEN YOU GET ENTEI IN FOR FREE, THE MOMENTUM IS GUARANTEED UNTIL SOMETHING DIES OR YOUR OPPONENT USES BURN HEAL

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
WHEN YOU GET ENTEI IN FOR FREE, THE MOMENTUM IS GUARANTEED UNTIL SOMETHING DIES OR YOUR OPPONENT USES BURN HEAL
Dididn't bother reading the rest of the post but I don't see why you'd emphatize this part when:

1. Good luck getting Entei in "for free";
2. Any half decent offensive pokemon lets you grab momentum, so Entei is nothing special in that regard.

I didn't say Entei is bad, I just pointed out that its UU usage is perfectly justified when it has competition from Heatran and Charizard X, both top OU pokemon who don't suffer from its middle child syndrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)