Flavourmons: what if you took the flavor text literally? (no OHKO or Auto-Win effects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just going to continue with more pokemon. I hope you don't mind, but there are a lot of them.

Noctowl
Its eyes are specially adapted. They concentrate even faint light and enable it to see in the dark.
Keen Eye. I'm starting to think Keen Eye should give pokemon permanent +2 accuracy as well as making accuracy drops impossible. What does +2 accuracy even do anyway? Meh, probably better in flavourmons than in regular pokemon.

Ledian
It uses starlight as energy. When more stars appear at night, the patterns on its back grow larger.
If fighting at night, outside, with no weather effects, Ledian gets +20% hp, special defense, special attack, and speed. (it's weak, so I'm giving it a sizable buff in specific conditions. I think the location of battles will have to be a factor here.)

Ariados
Ariados's feet are tipped with tiny hooked claws that enable it to scuttle on ceilings and vertical walls. This Pokémon constricts the foe with thin and strong silk webbing.
Um, Idk... webbing move have +1 priority? (String shot, constrict, spider web, sticky web?)

Crobat
It flies so silently through the dark on its four wings that it may not be noticed even when nearby.
Illlusion? This seems to be a common ability though. Either that, or Crobat gets +1 priority the turn it switches in.

Lanturn
It blinds prey with an intense burst of light, then swallows the immobilized prey in a single gulp.
Flash has +1 priority and a 50% chance of flinching the target. This move has a chance of failing if used consecutively.

Xatu (skipping togekiss because of later game evo)
Xatu stands rooted and still in one spot all day long. People believe that this Pokémon does so out of fear of the terrible things it has foreseen in the future.
Future sight does +50% damage. Between using future sight and when it hits, Xatu may not use any physical attacks.

Anyway, I'll work on more later. This is pretty fun. I hope you don't all hate me for hijacking this thread.
Maybe while Ariados is on the field sticky web can't be removed, and web moves have a -1 speed effect.

Hypno "Seeing its swinging pendulum can induce sleep in three seconds even in someone who just woke up"= If a pkmn wakes up while Hypno is on the field they go back to sleep in 1 turn.

Braviary "For the sake of its friends, this brave warrior of the sky will not stop battling, even if injured." = Braviary can't switch out, but if a 1 teammate has fainted Braviary gets a 5% increase to all stats, if 2 have fainted it gets a 10% increase to all stata, and so on. Each fainted pkmn=5% stat increase

Last edited:
I'm just going to continue with more pokemon. I hope you don't mind, but there are a lot of them.

Noctowl

Its eyes are specially adapted. They concentrate even faint light and enable it to see in the dark.
Keen Eye. I'm starting to think Keen Eye should give pokemon permanent +2 accuracy as well as making accuracy drops impossible. What does +2 accuracy even do anyway? Meh, probably better in flavourmons than in regular pokemon.
100% accurate toxic and hypnosis.

Stunfisk "When its opponent can't be paralyzed, it contorts itself away with unexpected speed and flops away" = if the pkmn Stunfisk is battling can't be paralyzed it auto-switches

Hmm, I like the Hypno one. I would give Braviary a bonus though to counter its downside. I would work on more of a system though, otherwise these suggestions for seemingly random pokemon will just get lost. If you want to start listing abilities though, just start down the pokemon from another region, 1 at a time rather than just doing the ones that pop out at you.

100% accurate toxic and hypnosis.

Still terrible.
Eeyup... That's honestly better than I realized though.

Hmm, I like the Hypno one. I would give Braviary a bonus though to counter its downside. I would work on more of a system though, otherwise these suggestions for seemingly random pokemon will just get lost. If you want to start listing abilities though, just start down the pokemon from another region, 1 at a time rather than just doing the ones that pop out at you.

Eeyup... That's honestly better than I realized though.
Braviary will now be equiped with a team of Magikarps xD, but seriously he would be great for late game clean up

Haxorus "its tusks are incredibly destructive. They can easily slice through a thick, sturdy steel colum every time. = if Haxorus uses a physical move that makes contact on a steel type it's SE, and ignores sturdy.

Eelektross "It latches on to prey with its sucker mouth, sinking in tis fangs and shocking the prey with powerful electricity" = Eelektross gets an ability similar to shadow tag

Tynamo "One alone can only emit a trickle of electricity, so a group of them gathers to unleash a powerful electric shock" = The more Tynamo on your team the more damage their electric-type attacks do.

All right, so I've changed up your document and added in the names of all the pokemon in between, to hopefully make it easier to write in abilities in the future. I added in everything in the first four gens, and asterisked fully evolved pokemon, because we should focus on them first.

When you add something, even if it's something completely out of any sort of system, add it in there. If you want to suggest an alternate ability for a pokemon, add it in there. If you don't like a current ability for a pokemon, add in an alternate ability on that pokemon, but do not remove the ability you don't like until there is a consensus on this forum.

Ah, very nice. Well, this certainly looks better than mine does, but it also misses out on organization. Mind if I change stuff around to get an order in there, so we know what pokemon we've done and haven't done?
What changes do you want to make? It is already in Nationaldex ID number order.

What changes do you want to make? It is already in Nationaldex ID number order.
Basically what I just did, sorry for going ahead before really recieving permission. This just will give us a better idea of what we need to do I think.

EDIT: This was just creating a list of all the pokemon in order in the document, instead of just having arbitrary ones in order. Now we have a better understanding of what else we need to do.

Last edited:
All right, everyone! You are now free to just post random pokemon you find and are interesting, but if you do, post it in the document that Mulan made. We can argue about abilities later, but for now, we need to fill out as many pokemon as we can.

I've got some:

Typhlosion HeartGold: "If its rage peaks, it becomes so hot that anything that touches it will instantly go up in flames."
If typhlosion uses rage, the next thing that contacts it faints.

Meganium Silver: "Meganium's breath has the power to revive dead grass and plants. It can make them healthy again."
When Meganium uses a breathing attack (like flamethrower or dragonbreath, neither of which it can learn), all grass pokemon are revived.

Feraligatr Silver: "It is hard for it to support its own weight out of water, so it gets down on all fours. But it moves fast."
Speed is halved in rain.

Dunsparce Gold: "It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there."
Since nothing can ever find dunsparce, it has 100% evasion.

Feebas Sapphire: "While Feebas's body is in tatters, it has a hardy and tenacious life force that enables it to live anywhere. However, this Pokémon is also slow and dimwitted, making it an easy catch."
Feebas can take any hits in any type of weather. The only way to defeat it is to fling a kind of poke-ball at it. (Take that magikarp)

Sunkern X: "It may plummet from the sky. If attacked by a Spearow, it will violently shake its leaves."
Sunkern gets sky drop and moody.
Goddamit, read my posts, people. Either bring up intelligent and balanced entries or don't bother showing up. Now, I don't want to come off as harsh and scare all these people trying to help away, but use some common sense. When mega im breathes it revives all grass types? Do you really think that is acceptable? And dunsparce. What the actual fuck?

/me glares at Redwings1340.

Anyways.

Articuno.
Silver: One of the legendary bird Pokémon, it chills moisture in the atmosphere to create snow while flying. If Articuno uses Fly it immediately starts hailing for five turns.

Moltres.
Gold: This legendary Pokémon scatters embers with every flap of its wings. It is a thrilling sight to behold. If Moltres uses Wing Attack or Steel Wing it immediately uses Ember afterwards at 50% power.

Snorlax.
Silver: Its stomach's digestive juices can dissolve any kind of poison. It can even eat things off the ground. Snorlax is immune to poison moves.

Sharpedo.
FR/LG: The ruffian of the seas, it has fangs that crunch through iron. It swims by jetting water from its rear. Biting moves are super effective on steel types. Fire fang is unaffected (if Sharpedo even gets it.) Also Thisisafakename we're trying to make balanced entries, aka none of the entries you posted except MAYBE Feraligatr.

EDIT: Ninja'd by S0L1D G0LD.

DOUBLE EDIT: Why the fuck did we allow an SSBB trophy description for Metagross?

I've got some:

Typhlosion HeartGold: "If its rage peaks, it becomes so hot that anything that touches it will instantly go up in flames."
If typhlosion uses rage, the next thing that contacts it faints.

Meganium Silver: "Meganium's breath has the power to revive dead grass and plants. It can make them healthy again."
When Meganium uses a breathing attack (like flamethrower or dragonbreath, neither of which it can learn), all grass pokemon are revived.

Feraligatr Silver: "It is hard for it to support its own weight out of water, so it gets down on all fours. But it moves fast."
Speed is halved in rain.

Dunsparce Gold: "It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there."
Since nothing can ever find dunsparce, it has 100% evasion.

Feebas Sapphire: "While Feebas's body is in tatters, it has a hardy and tenacious life force that enables it to live anywhere. However, this Pokémon is also slow and dimwitted, making it an easy catch."
Feebas can take any hits in any type of weather. The only way to defeat it is to fling a kind of poke-ball at it. (Take that magikarp)

Sunkern X: "It may plummet from the sky. If attacked by a Spearow, it will violently shake its leaves."
Sunkern gets sky drop and moody.
Feraligator's speed would be halved when its NOT raining

I have to ask, what kind of game are we trying to create here?

Are we trying to create something that's basically the same as before, only with a few minor changes, or are we trying to create something completely different and insane, but also balanced at the same time, with no absolutely ridiculous strategies that can win every time.

I'm aiming for the second option, because I don't really see the point of the first one. Pokedex descriptions are completely insane and ridiculous when you actually read them.

Now, I don't think what I've come up with so far is ridiculous with respect to this game. It is ridiculous with respect to current OU though. From what I can tell based on my initial reactions, accuracy based moves, priority moves, and weather based moves are going to be a lot more prevalent in this metagame, at least with what I'm doing. In OU, accuracy based moved are rightly either banned or useless, because they're really frustrating and luck dependent. With my change to Keen Eye and lots of new abilities having to do with accuracy and evasion (because lots of descriptions do), evasion is something you need to watch out for, but that has clear counters. Already, in what I've created so far, there are about 4 pokemon with Keen Eye, Blastoise has 100% hydro pump, aura sphere from the actual game... I really don't think this will be an impossible mechanic to play around in this game, even if it would be horrible in standard.

Also, I'm sorry for kind of hijacking everything, but I actually think this thread is an awesome idea, and I want it to go somewhere. Organization Member XIV, your ideas there are awesome, and you should post it on the pirate pad thing. I want this to be balanced, even if I think getting a draft should be a higher priority. I'm also on the side though that we should test borderline OP before rejecting it, because this game is not the same as the regular one.

Last edited:
Also, I suppose I'm breaking the rules people agreed to earlier, because I'm just choosing the pokedex entry that I find most interesting. It's still up to us to decide how to interpret it, so if we decide it's OP we can always change our interpretation.

I also definitely don't think a lot of the pokemon we have so far should be final.
Ninetales, Clefable, Muk, Tyranitar, and anything with the words OKHO should in my opinion be looked at before deciding on its finality. Also, all of my ideas are not final either, so if you have criticism, definitely discuss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)