Flavourmons: what if you took the flavor text literally? (no OHKO or Auto-Win effects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did everyone suddenly stop liking flavourmons? Hey guys for some reason whenever I try to get on the pirate pad my computer will never finish loading it so I'm just not going to put anything in there

Last edited:
Hey guys for some reason whenever I try to get on the pirate pad my computer will never finish loading it so I'm just not going to put anything in there
That happened to me a couple of times to, but it works most of the time. Try to open it again in a few hours. If it still doesn't work then maybe we can convert it to a google doc.

Shaymin
Pearl and X: It can instantly dissolve toxins in the air to transform ruined land into a lush field of flowers.

Shaymin is immune to poison types and gets Grassy Terrain.

Jynx
Red and Blue: It seductively wiggles its hips as it walks. It can cause people do dance in unison with it.

When Jynx switches in, the opposing Pokemon is automatically infatuated, regardless of gender.

Goddamit, read my posts, people. Either bring up intelligent and balanced entries or don't bother showing up. Now, I don't want to come off as harsh and scare all these people trying to help away, but use some common sense. When mega im breathes it revives all grass types? Do you really think that is acceptable? And dunsparce. What the actual fuck?
I agree. Seriously. Take a look at the sorting out we've done involving balancing before you come in and grabbing random entries from random games to make your favorite pokemon overpowered tends to come off as slightly a little bit completely fucking obnoxious.

Also, I'm sorry for kind of hijacking everything, but I actually think this thread is an awesome idea, and I want it to go somewhere. Organization Member XIV, your ideas there are awesome, and you should post it on the pirate pad thing. I want this to be balanced, even if I think getting a draft should be a higher priority. I'm also on the side though that we should test borderline OP before rejecting it, because this game is not the same as the regular one.
If your sorry for hijacking then fucking stop. Honestly its awesome to have a bunch of people who want to help but the direction you're trying to take this in isnt going to work. Not to mention, you can't just come in here and start making decisions, we gotta do this as a group.

I have to ask, what kind of game are we trying to create here?
If you had read through the rest of the thread before you tried to take control of everything you would've answered your own question.

Also, I suppose I'm breaking the rules people agreed to earlier, because I'm just choosing the pokedex entry that I find most interesting. It's still up to us to decide how to interpret it, so if we decide it's OP we can always change our interpretation.
choosing the pokedex entry that I find most interesting.

This is a group project. We agreed to rules to make this shit balanced, so please act like a normal human being about this.

I definitely do want this to be balanced, and I'm definitely open to criticism. I also would much rather work with everyone here than have flame wars back and forth. I'm sorry if a lot of the way I was talking indicated any sort of finality to any abilities I've been talking about, and I'm sorry if I've, well, gone in different directions than you wanted. I really didn't mean to derail this thread. Good luck pushing forward!

I definitely do want this to be balanced, and I'm definitely open to criticism. I also would much rather work with everyone here than have flame wars back and forth. I'm sorry if a lot of the way I was talking indicated any sort of finality to any abilities I've been talking about, and I'm sorry if I've, well, gone in different directions than you wanted. I really didn't mean to derail this thread. Good luck pushing forward!
You by no means have to quit the program.

It's definitely okay, and by all means, please continue to help out with the project. It's just important that we make decisions as a group, and keep to our established structure.

Thanks everyone. I was honestly unsure if you all just wanted me to leave. I'll try to work with you all more in the future. I think I kind of took over the thread because last weekend was my last weekend before the spring semester of school, and I had nothing better to do other than post here and think of stuff for those last couple days. Sometimes I get like that, because I could just simply reply faster because I was looking at this thread constantly. It wasn't that I didn't want input or to work with you, but that my ideas and free time just outsped anyone else's response times to tell me I might have been doing something wrong.

I understand that what's currently on the pirate pad is pretty bad right now. It's a draft. Probably a terrible draft. One that will definitely need all of our combined efforts to fix. I'm thinking about at least 50% of what is there, including of what I have written, will get changed before the final product. I don't want to do this alone. I still think that the pirate pad is a very useful organizational tool though that will absolutely be necessary for everyone to use if we want this to be finished. I have very intentionally not changed anyone else's entries in that, and have only entered in stuff that aren't already taken.

I do have a question though. Has it been my tone over the past couple of days or my entries that have elicited some of these responses, and if so, what could I do differently to work with you all better? If it's the tone, I'll try my best to be a little more clear that I definitely do want your help, and that not everything I say is valid. If it's the entries, I'll try my best to change it to the kind of format you want me to do it in. Even in the pirate pad I've made some changes to some of the entries I've posted here earlier for practical reasons. Everything I said earlier involving location of battle I have changed a bit, because that's not really a practical consideration while making a team. Also, I'm still on the fence about whether the accuracy/evasion aspect of this game will work. A lot of pokedex entries have stuff about accuracy and evasion in them, and I think it could be an interesting mechanic to play around with. We don't need to though, so my entries for Lanturn/Typhlosion for example can be completely changed, and we could replace keen eye back to normal, and so on and so forth. I think that aspect of the game could work and be interesting, but I could try my best to tone that mechanic down in future entries if you all don't want to explore it.

Malamar, Pokemon Y: It lures prey close with hypnotic motions, then wraps its tentacles around it before finishing it off with digestive fluids.

When Malamar uses Hypnosis, the move also counts as Wrap and Acid Spray.

Thanks everyone. I was honestly unsure if you all just wanted me to leave. I'll try to work with you all more in the future. I think I kind of took over the thread because last weekend was my last weekend before the spring semester of school, and I had nothing better to do other than post here and think of stuff for those last couple days. Sometimes I get like that, because I could just simply reply faster because I was looking at this thread constantly. It wasn't that I didn't want input or to work with you, but that my ideas and free time just outsped anyone else's response times to tell me I might have been doing something wrong.

I understand that what's currently on the pirate pad is pretty bad right now. It's a draft. Probably a terrible draft. One that will definitely need all of our combined efforts to fix. I'm thinking about at least 50% of what is there, including of what I have written, will get changed before the final product. I don't want to do this alone. I still think that the pirate pad is a very useful organizational tool though that will absolutely be necessary for everyone to use if we want this to be finished. I have very intentionally not changed anyone else's entries in that, and have only entered in stuff that aren't already taken.

I do have a question though. Has it been my tone over the past couple of days or my entries that have elicited some of these responses, and if so, what could I do differently to work with you all better? If it's the tone, I'll try my best to be a little more clear that I definitely do want your help, and that not everything I say is valid. If it's the entries, I'll try my best to change it to the kind of format you want me to do it in. Even in the pirate pad I've made some changes to some of the entries I've posted here earlier for practical reasons. Everything I said earlier involving location of battle I have changed a bit, because that's not really a practical consideration while making a team. Also, I'm still on the fence about whether the accuracy/evasion aspect of this game will work. A lot of pokedex entries have stuff about accuracy and evasion in them, and I think it could be an interesting mechanic to play around with. We don't need to though, so my entries for Lanturn/Typhlosion for example can be completely changed, and we could replace keen eye back to normal, and so on and so forth. I think that aspect of the game could work and be interesting, but I could try my best to tone that mechanic down in future entries if you all don't want to explore it.
As a general rule of thumb, it's usually a smart idea to not mess around with evasion. I wouldn't mind exploring accuracy mechanics, though.

Hitmonlee
Silver: If it starts kicking repeatedly, both legs will stretch even longer to strike a fleeing foe.
All its moves hit a pokemon before it switches it out... wow that is OP.

Hitmonlee
Silver: If it starts kicking repeatedly, both legs will stretch even longer to strike a fleeing foe.
All its moves hit a pokemon before it switches it out... wow that is OP.
How about having its kick-based moves hit opponents before they switch provided it has used a kick-based move the turn prior?

I'd still say our new hitmonlee is still outclassed by trapping abilities, so I doubt it would even be used in regular OU (shadow tag, arena trap). I like the change though, although I would argue that double kick should activate this ability all the time, since it's a repeated kick move.

EDIT: Actually, if we want to make it simpler, we can say that only double kick hits pokemon on the switchout. That would make the ability simpler and basically give it a fighting type pursuit option.

Last edited:
I'd still say our new hitmonlee is still outclassed by trapping abilities, so I doubt it would even be used in regular OU (shadow tag, arena trap). I like the change though, although I would argue that double kick should activate this ability all the time, since it's a repeated kick move.

EDIT: Actually, if we want to make it simpler, we can say that only double kick hits pokemon on the switchout. That would make the ability simpler and basically give it a fighting type pursuit option.
I do doubt that Hitmonlee would see regular use with this boost, but we can't expect to make a metagame with wholly balanced options, especially in one as silly as this. =P

If the Double Kick buff only applied to Hitmonlee I'd definitely agree with it. There's nothing suggesting that it should work that way for other Pokemon, so if/when this sees implementation (I'd certainly like to see it happen, but I can't really help outside of the idea-making phase, which is admittedly easy,) Hitmonlee should be the only Pokemon for whom Double Kick has Pursuit-properties.

Also, just looking at his other Dex entries...

DPP Dex said:
Its legs can stretch double. First-time foes are startled by its extensible reach.
Would this mean that Hitmonlee has an Intimidate or Unnerve effect against first-time foes?

Yellow Dex said:
When kicking, the sole of its foot turns as hard as a diamond on impact and destroys its enemy.
I don't think "kicking moves destroy foes," is really a great idea for a healthy metagame. =P

I do doubt that Hitmonlee would see regular use with this boost, but we can't expect to make a metagame with wholly balanced options, especially in one as silly as this. =P

If the Double Kick buff only applied to Hitmonlee I'd definitely agree with it. There's nothing suggesting that it should work that way for other Pokemon, so if/when this sees implementation (I'd certainly like to see it happen, but I can't really help outside of the idea-making phase, which is admittedly easy,) Hitmonlee should be the only Pokemon for whom Double Kick has Pursuit-properties.
Yeah, definitely. That's what I meant when I was talking about double kick. Only for Hitmonlee, not changing the move itself. Also, not going to OU is not necessarily a bad thing, just saying that I'm pretty sure this option isn't too powerful to be in this game if I wouldn't use it in standard.

Serperior:
Black:
It can stop its opponents’ movements with just a glare. It takes in solar energy and boosts it internally.
Serperior's Glare prevents the opponent from moving that turn. It can use Solar Beam without a charge turn, regardless of weather, and it has 120 power regardless of weather.

Tyranitar:
Gold: Its body can't be harmed by any kind of attack, so it is very eager to make challenges against enemies
Silver: Extremely strong, it can change the landscape. It has an insolent nature that makes it not care about others.
Crystal: In just one of its mighty hands, it has the power to make the ground shake and mountains crumble.
I'd add Moxie or Defiant to its Sand Stream.
And even if its body can't be harmed by attacks, it's probably going to get fed up with being targeted and eventually refuse to fight. Nothing states that its psyche can't be damaged, so...

I think Moxie is better than Defiant for that purpose. Also, we just decided on a damage reduction for physical moves (like a weaker Fur Coat that does not consume an ability).

Serperior:
Black:
It can stop its opponents’ movements with just a glare. It takes in solar energy and boosts it internally.
Serperior's Glare prevents the opponent from moving that turn. It can use Solar Beam without a charge turn, regardless of weather, and it has 120 power regardless of weather.
Or maybe Glare could make Pokemon sometimes not move, like paralysis or something. And it can use Solar Beam when the sun isn't impeded and charges faster when it's super sunny, because it takes in solar energy.

Sorry to single you out, but these sorts of posts are everywhere in this thread and it's ridiculous. The flavor provided in Serperior's pokedex is already perfectly well-displayed by its movepool. Out of all the goofy dex entries (for instance, Golem can't be damaged by dynamite, which mean's Magikarp's tackle, which damages Golem, is stronger than dynamite) there's no need to stretch for strained ideas like yours. Be creative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)