Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

mmmmm...... it's hard to justify for any reason other than people would like Ridley in the game. (guilty) Still, there could always be a somewhere in between compromise and just give Ridley the title of largest character in the game.
EDIT: Oh, I guess there's always this:

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^Well, if realistic sizes were to be kept, Olimar would be approximately half as tall as Mario's shoes. His Pikmin would possibly be too small to be visible on some screens.

But that isn't a concern because the games imply that the fighters aren't the characters themselves from their respective games - they are figurines come to life. In that case, they would all be scaled to fit the same size. A ridley the size of Samus wouldn't be a concern then - after all, the last main Mario game to come out before Melee was Sunshine, in which Bowser is approximately thirty metres tall. I didn't see anybody complain back then.

Kumatora, Jeff, and Flint would be my top 3 mother additions

I think it's safe to say that Ike will return, and if we get a new FE character it would most likely be from Awakening... that said, from a gameplay standpoint it would be so much less interesting to have another Falchion wielder or even another pure sword fighter :/. Morgan and Robin on the other hand have practically infinite moveset potential, or failing that even Tharja is fairly popular and having a tome-based moveset would be a pretty interesting deviation from the norm if you ask me.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This is a fanservice game. For fans. Of which Metroid fans have only one character, and there's only other one that could be added.

You have to be some kind of stupid asshole to suggest that Ridley shouldn't be in the game because of size. Seriously, Open Letter here, you are douchebag. Stop being so pedantic. Just let people have fun with their fun game about dolls.

They're not dolls, they're action figures! >:(

Seriously, the "Ridley is too big" argument is really stupid.

I'm not too surprised Lucario is back, he actually played a pretty big role in XY.

Technically they've been trophies since Melee.

As for the whole Ridley thing, size isn't his biggest issue. He's very skinny and lanky, has never walked or ran (to my knowledge) and he's only ever attacked you by flying off-screen. They have nothing to work with in terms of a moveset and it will be a challenge to animate him in a way that doesn't look silly, but if they can pull it off, I'd have no problem with it.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
B - Fireballs
Down B - Tail Pogo
Forward B - Lunging Grab
Up B - Flight

The grab and air games really design themselves. If he's anything but based around his air game, it wouldn't be true to the character. So he can be as lanky a fucker as he wants on the ground, that's like 3/4 of his artistic design.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Hit things with tail and claws and bite. I don't see the problem. I'd say they have to get creative, like they did with almost every other character on the roster, but that'd be an exaggeration. If he was a large character with a good air game, you probably couldn't expect him to also be awesome on the ground anyway.

Last edited:
"When Lucario shoots out Aura from its hands to fly with ExtremeSpeed, you can control its flight direction. If Lucario's Aura is fully charged, it can fly extremely far, so be careful not to accidentally launch out of the area."

Damn, Aura nows buffs Lucario's recovery too? He could be top-tier at this rate.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
RODAN is too big but I want him in smash
Is Ridley's size really a problem when Kirby and Olimar are like ten times bigger than they should be in Smash Bros?
Pretty much this whenever people say Ridley is too big. Kirby is like 8 inches tall and Olimar is only 3~4... Makes sense they fight with the 6ft Captain Falcon and the 10ft Bowser on equal footing... :|

@Above: No real shock Falco is back :P They differentiated him pretty well in Brawl so...

Lucario looks good, I never really liked him though :|

EDIT: Oops wrong quote :P Hi TheMantyke <3

Last edited:
What I take away from the whole "Ridley is too big" argument is that Ridley being very large in his own games isn't the problem. Rather, I think people are just concerned that a smaller Ridley would look ridiculous. His character design is a tad more complex than Kirby and Olimar after all, and trying to shrink him down into a reasonable size for a playable character could make him look off. That being said, it's far from impossible to make small Ridley look right. If they can find a good way to make it happen, then sure, I'll take playable Ridley. If not, well I'm not a Metroid fan so no huge loss on my end.

There are more people arguing against the idea of Ridley being too big than there are people actually saying it. I'm regretting posting that joke video, this is always a circlejerk.

They differentiated him pretty well in Brawl so...
I completely disagree. Falco has pretty much all of Fox's moves and only a select few of them are different or significantly altered (jab, down throw, neutral special, down special, and most of his aerials). On the ground, they're almost identical.

Also, never link directly to 4chan. Threads and images always 404 eventually, your image will never be permanent. Re-host on a site like imgur.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I completely disagree. Falco has pretty much all of Fox's moves and only a select few of them are different or significantly altered (jab, down throw, neutral special, down special, and most of his aerials). On the ground, they're almost identical.
How can you say they are almost identical when on the ground? Falco has a far different moveset and much different hitboxes. It's not like you instantly switch between them and expect them to play the same way. Falco's FSmash is far stronger than Fox's.

How can you say they are almost identical when on the ground? Falco has a far different moveset and much different hitboxes.
His up tilt is the only one that's significantly different in both usage and function. Their smashes and other tilts are identical in usage, and the only functional differences are that sometimes one is a straight upgrade over the other (forward smash, for example). Hell, even their recovery moves and uair/bair are like that.

It's not like you instantly switch between them and expect them to play the same way.
That's because Falco has, like, 3 broken moves that you abuse the hell out of. If they were literally identical in every other regard, Falco gameplay wouldn't change that much.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The biggest problem with Fox/Falco similarity isn't how they play, but how they appear to play to the average player.

Your ordinary kid playing Brawl would see Fox, Falco and Wolf as slight variations of the same character. Press B, and they shoot their gun. Up+B, and they stand still for a bit before rocketing up. Side+B, they flash sidewards. Down+B, they activate their shields. Their final smashes are the same. Yeah, some of them will feel more sluggish than the others, some will fall faster and some have different hitboxes, power or animation for the same moves, but ultimately they appear to do exactly the same as one another. "Professional" players know that this is not the case, but to those not bothering to go as deeply into the game, the three are quickly scoffed off as "lame clones". I really hope they will try to differentiate them more in the next game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)