Other PranksterSwag Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I'm coming off a really disappointing loss from this strategy used against me, and I thought we might discuss it and the various ways to make it less effective from a team-building perspective. Given the number of people using this strategy lately, including, as many on here know personally, at least one person using the strategy exclusively with all six pokemon, I figured it might be interesting to bring it into the limelight. I'll go through the basics for those who are perhaps not as familiar with the strategy, and then cover some ideas I had for making it less effective, in the hopes that other people can come up with even more.

Also, please, let's not talk about "ban this strategy" or "ban confusion" or things like that (or, I guess, the opposite, i.e. "stop being a baby and play the game"). I'd just like to talk about team building ideas. Obviously nobody is going to build a team around combatting this strategy, but the idea is that perhaps one of your pokemon slots is chosen with a thought to this strategy.

Basics: I'm not sure that this is an "official name," but I call it T-Swag because at it's core, the strategy comes down to pokemon with the moves thunder wave and swagger, almost always on a pokemon with prankster so both moves are generally guaranteed to move first. It's essentially a more dangerous parafusion: thunder wave to paralyze the opponent, swagger to confuse and boost attack making confusion more dangerous. Combined, you end up with a 37.5% chance of actually doing something--but failing to do something is more painful than standard parafusion thanks to the increased attack.

Additional moves: Outside of the core thunder wave and swagger, the stereotypical companion moves are substitute and foul play. Substitute makes it so that if the target does not move, they have to move twice afterward to do any actual damage, and foul play because after a swagger, the target's attack stat is doubled, in turn doubling foul play's power. So once you're safely behind a sub, you're guaranteed a likely-painful foul play hit.

List of common pokemon to use the strategy:

(I haven't actually seen M-Banette do it, likely because it doesn't get prankster until turn 2, but it's got the movepool to do so. I also didn't list Purrloin despite that I have seen it in a team, but it's basically a worse Liepard as anyone might have guessed.)

Potential monkey-wrenches: Ways to make the strategy less effective include:
Own Tempo: This ability blocks confusion. However, it's poor distribution means it will never realistically be seen.

Safeguard: Protects against both thunder wave AND confusion. But, unless you have prankster yourself and are faster than the opponent, they'll get one of the two and possibly both if you hit yourself/get fully paralyzed.

Multi-hit moves: If you can hit through the confusion and paralysis, you can potentially KO the opponent even if it has a substitute up. Unfortunately this gen's premier multi-hit move user is 3HKOd by its own confusion hit after swagger, and 2HKOd by foul play. Cloyster may work okay due to its great defense, but it can't break through Klefki and won't fare that well against defensive sableye.

Ground and electric types: Obviously, thunder wave won't work, increasing the chance of moving. I'm not aware of anyone using body slam for paralysis in this strategy like they do for paraflinch, but if they did an electric type would still block it.

Reducing foul play's power: Fairy, Dark, or Fighting types. Also, a 0 Attack IV and -Attack nature on anything that doesn't use its attack stat.

Volt-turn: Especially between Pokemon immune to t-wave, e.g. Rotom-W and Landorus. Only a 50% chance each time, and you get to have the repeated 10% chance that swagger will miss since switching out will force them to re-swagger. Also, they can't predict and re-swagger like they can with just switching out directly. The downside is that you can't get a non-confused hit in by waiting for the confusion to end naturally.

Lum berry: Absorbs one status, but won't work for teams with more than one t-swag user or against a pokemon that you can't OHKO. If the opponent goes swagger first, though, and you're a physical attacker, you might be able to take advantage of that and OHKO something you wouldn't be able to OHKO otherwise.

Taunt: An outspeeding prankster taunt can shut down the whole strategy. Unfortunately, Liepard and Thundy have very high speed stats (base 106 and 111, respectively), making the "outspeeding" part much harder.

Magic Guard status absorber: E.g., Clefable with a toxic orb. Can't be paralyzed, but can be confused. In Clefable's case though, it probably won't hurt much, and Clefable resists foul play.

Priority: Obviously, faster priority could help to hit before being statused, except that Thundy resists all common priority moves, Sableye is immune to some and probably takes little damage from the others, Klefki doesn't mind bullet punch or extreme speed and probably takes little in general from the fighting priority or shadow sneak. This is all assuming they're unboosted by swagger, since the idea of priority is to outspeed the opponent's prankster.

Physically defensive special-attacking tanks: Something like bold Sylveon/Clefable or bold Rotom-W. Takes little from confusion damage and foul play. Rotom has the advantage of being immune to paralysis, while Sylveon/Clefable have the advantage of taking even less damage from foul play.

Any other ideas to make this less effective? Any other variants of this? Perhaps in-battle strategies I missed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, if anyone came to this thread wondering how to USE this strat:
  1. Close out of Pokemon Showdown
  2. Delete any and all browsers you have
  3. Uninstall PS if you have it installed
  4. Never play again
On a more serious note, Sylveon is amazing versus these teams, many of them are dark type and Hyper Voice hits straight through Substitute. It OHKOs things like Liepard and Murkrow. Strong ExtremeSpeeds from things like Lucario, Dragonite, and Genesect can screw over these teams because of its +2 Priority that ignores Prankster.

Sylveon alone combined with a VoltTurner or two is alone enough to beat this strategy, IMO if you're looking for a very easy way to combat Prankster Swagger while using a 100% viable Pokemon and moveset, Sylveon is your best bet.

How to deal with Swagplay:

Continuously switch between two Pokemon that take minimal damage from Foul Play, and can recover off any damage. Even better if one of them can remove hazards.

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Pre-Contributor
A couple more things that help vs. this strategy:

Sound Based Moves: Thank god gen VI gave us this change, as sound based moves are a great way to hit silly pranksters behind substitutes. Most users of sound based moves have quite low attack, which can be lowered even further with 0 atk ivs if you feel like it. It also helps that the two sound based moves that get a lot of usage are Pixilated Hyper Voice and Bug Buzz, which have the potential to wreck at least half of the available T-swag users.

Magic Coat: Since Deoxys-S might be getting the banhammer, deoxys-d is probably the most viable hazard lead up next, and Magic Coat is a move I love on it. Magic coat allows it to beat T-swag klefki handily, while also allowing for taunt bounce backs or hazards against ferro. There's nothing more infuriating than getting paralyzed and confused, so why not turn it on your opponent?

In terms of mons that are good against it, Sylveon is my go to. I also find bitching them out and telling them to GTFO showdown to be a viable strategy.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Mental herb is also an option on your own taunter, but outside of facing teams like this I don't think it would be very useful (except maybe on other dedicated leads)

You missed the obvious hard counter called MAGIC BOUNCE. Espeon or Mega Absol single handedly rapes those kind of teams. Apart from that, VoltTurn works wonders. Same goes for substitute if you manage to get it up, prankster taunt can ofc stop this. Or you can just play around it by smart switching. Honestly it's not the brightest players behind the ParaSwag Klefki and they will most likely spam T-wave or Swagger like it came from a textbook.

Bulky special-attacking electric types work well, it seems, since they're immune to paralysis and take relatively few damage from Foul Play. Stuff like Rotom-A, Mega Ampharos, and Zapdos seem to be good examples, although I have seen a Rotom-W taken down by repeated hax from Swagger confusion :\

You missed the obvious hard counter called MAGIC BOUNCE. Espeon or Mega Absol single handedly rapes those kind of teams. Apart from that, VoltTurn works wonders. Same goes for substitute if you manage to get it up, prankster taunt can ofc stop this. Or you can just play around it by smart switching. Honestly it's not the brightest players behind the ParaSwag Klefki and they will most likely spam T-wave or Swagger like it came from a textbook.
Mega Absol can't get past Klefki, and Espeon goes down to Klefki and Thundy (who can't be reverse paralyzed by a bounced t-wave). Although, you're right that a well-timed switch-in to Espeon could work, but in that sense it's more similar to a check than a counter. Mega Absol also can't bounce on the switch in, though once he's Mega it works but then like I mentioned he still can't get past Klefki.

Sound Based Moves
Indeed, this could work very well. Getting past the sub without having to sacrifice a slot to an unwanted multi-hit move is definitely nice, although once again Klefki doesn't mind the most commonly used sound moves (hyper voice and bug buzz). Would work great against all the others though (except bug buzz on Thundy).

Magic Coat:
Magic Coat is a possibility, though again Deoxys-D can't really hurt Klefki. Klefki just kind of screws up lots of these anti-strategies. What are some ways perhaps to deal with Klefki specifically? I can't really think of any because many of the ones that can really damage it like Excadrill and YZard. 0Atk Modest Heatran maybe?

For those interested, I recently posted a RMT that used Swagplay alongside things I found to be useful alongside it where I later dedicated a post to Pokemon my Swagplay core had trouble with. Take it as you will.

On Klefki / Swagplay Bans- No, don't. I noticed a few people calling for swagplay / klefki bans in the Klefki thread in OU. Against competent players with a decent tank or wall on their hands (preferably specially oriented), this team really struggles. There is a frustrating luck aspect to swagger, but it's not the primary focus of Swagger's effectiveness and is not anywhere near as powerful as other strategy with a central focus on luck like Moody. Most of the time, you have yourself and not luck to blame for swagplay getting set up for somehow giving it a free turn off of setting up entry hazards or something. If you're really sick of swagplay and want to use something that's fairly viable in OU to deal with it, here's a quick, non all-inclusive list of a few things that have given my team trouble as answers to swagplay.
  • Bulky Rotom-W- The #1 Pokemon in the metagame cares very little about swagger and can Volt Switch out to break subs and stop confusion.
  • Double Volt Switch- In addition to Rotom-W, any duo of pokemon relying on Volt Switch for a Volt-Turn team give swagplay massive problems.
  • Mandibuzz- Barring Thunderbolt on Thundurus, there is nothing that swagplay can do to mandibuzz (and I only remember thunderbolt doing like 50% to mandibuzz since I'm not invested). Any swagplay user completely dependent on Foul Play gets destroyed and eventually Whirlwinded out.
  • Knock Off and status on the switch- Swagplay's on a timer once the leftovers are gone. If you can knock them off, you only have to deal with the for a little while longer. Knock Off pretty much forces a swagplay user to keep subbing, or there's a 55% chance the next hit they take from risking the swagger will take them out of the game very soon.
  • Clefable- Any Clefable with Cosmic Power is a nightmare. Unaware Clefable makes Swagplay complete set up bait. I guess Quagsire also fits this bill, but it's kind of underwhelming / I have actually broken through the one I fought since it didn't resist Foul Play

Really hope I don't sound pretentious or just a general moron with these points, but this was all enjoyable to think reflect on. Hope people using / going against this team find this info helpful.

Basics: I'm not sure that this is an "official name," but I call it T-Swag because at it's core, the strategy comes down to pokemon with the moves thunder wave and swagger, almost always on a pokemon with prankster so both moves are generally guaranteed to move first.
Just. Keep it simple. It has had a name since Gen 1/2 and it is simply Parafusion. Yes I'm aware it aims at utilizing Swagger mainly but that doesn't change the fact the underlying strategy is still the same as it has been for over 6 Generations just with Prankster thrown into the mix and it is still simply Parafusion.

(I haven't actually seen M-Banette do it, likely because it doesn't get prankster until turn 2, but it's got the movepool to do so.)
No it's because it has better things to do and not being able to recover health or equip Leftovers does not really help your cause with such a passive strategy.

Yes, go on. Ignore the best Magic Bounce user who actually can make a difference with it's reliable recovery and higher defenses, not like Xatu exists or anything. Not like it can't slap on a Rocky Helmet and take minimum damage from even STAB Foul Play and do damage back. Nope. Not at all. Back to the depths of the Caterpie tier with you!

How to deal with Swagplay:

Continuously switch between two Pokemon that take minimal damage from Foul Play, and can recover off any damage. Even better if one of them can remove hazards.
And this is what most people actually do, even better if you have a Elec type and/or cleric as well.

Yes, go on. Ignore the best Magic Bounce user who actually can make a difference with it's reliable recovery and higher defenses, not like Xatu exists or anything. Not like it can't slap on a Rocky Helmet and take minimum damage from even STAB Foul Play and do damage back. Nope. Not at all. Back to the depths of the Caterpie tier with you!
Well, Xatu is still 3HKO by Foul Play same as Espeon, which does get Morning Sun.

+2 Foul Play 2HKOs 0 ATK IV Calm Xatu with leftovers. (On mobile can't copy the calc)
Foul Play 3HKOs 0 ATK IV Timid Espeon with leftovers.
Foul Play has a 94.6% chance to 3HKO 252 ATK Jolly Mega Absol.

I'm not seeing these as counters really. None of them can risk switching into a foul play.

Well, Xatu is still 3HKO by Foul Play same as Espeon, which does get Morning Sun.
Xatu doesn't have half the PP on a recovery which likes to occasionally not work nor a wasteland of a support movepool and more resists.

+2 Foul Play 2HKOs 0 ATK IV Calm Xatu with leftovers. (On mobile can't copy the calc)
1. Rocky Helmet Xatu's don't use Calm, why exactly would you think something running Rocky Helmet would run no defense?
2. Pursuit and U-Turn are the bane of Xatu's life, all the more reason to run physical defensive to scrape away from those encounters.
3. Even a STAB Foul Play does not 2HKO a physically defensive Xatu except maybe once in a blue moon.

Was using the standard Xatu set if you want a dedicated counter lol.

Physical Defensive Xatu gets 4HKOed with rocks up and can do 19% max to Klefki. I'm not seeing what it can do except by a few turns...

I mean you could roost stall but against thornadus and sableye? Good luck.

Mega Absol can't get past Klefki, and Espeon goes down to Klefki and Thundy (who can't be reverse paralyzed by a bounced t-wave). Although, you're right that a well-timed switch-in to Espeon could work, but in that sense it's more similar to a check than a counter. Mega Absol also can't bounce on the switch in, though once he's Mega it works but then like I mentioned he still can't get past Klefki.
Absol can't get past Klefki?

0 SpA Mega Absol Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Klefki: 202-238 (63.5 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Klefki Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol: 87-103 (32.1 - 38%) -- 94.6% chance to 3HKO

Yes, it can be made much bulkier than Espeon, but then it's not really useful for anything else. Essentially the ONLY reason to have one on your team (especially instead of Espeon) is to "counter" T-Swag/PranksterSwag/Swagplay/whatever you call it. According to January's stats, it was used on 0.64075% of all teams. The point of this thread was to identify ways you could make team building choices that would make the strategy less effective against you without having to devote an entire pokemon slot which "rocky helmet physically defensive Xatu" just screams. Overall its defenses aren't that great; if the opponent isn't just running 6 swagplayers, it'll die to even a moderately powerful SE special move. Even on teams with 6 swagplayers Thundurus can just run t-bolt over substitute and Xatu is out of luck: 0 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Xatu: 314-372 (94 - 111.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO.

Absol can't get past Klefki?

0 SpA Mega Absol Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Klefki: 202-238 (63.5 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Klefki Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Absol: 87-103 (32.1 - 38%) -- 94.6% chance to 3HKO
I wasn't aware that Mega Absol ran fire blast...or could even learn it for that matter. I never use the thing and I've never seen it fire blast any time I've encountered it, but upon research it does seem to be fairly standard. So it could work, but it does mean you use up your mega slot, unless Mega Absol happens to fit in your team otherwise.

I run mega absol and it is a pretty common coverage move since a lot of people love to send in Scizor and Ferrothorn on Absol.

Yeah, I'm sorry to say that I lost to one of these teams. Thunderus, Klefki, and Liepard were all running T-Wave/Foul Play/Swagger/Substitute. It was a close match, but the final showdown was his Garchomp vs. my Mega Charizard X. I had a DD up, but his Klefki had also managed to get off a T-Wave on him before going down.
Ground walls are pretty effective against these types of teams. Donphan and Gastrodon specifically help quite a bit. Anything with Magic Bounce also helps, but unfortunately most of them are psychic types and can't take a Foul Play. Mega Absol, as people have already mentioned, is pretty much the best stop to these kinds of teams.

Soul-Red, you missed substitute. A well placed sub will shut down this strategy completely.

Because of confusion making it 50/50, there is not really a 100% counter against such a strategy. Other than using 0 Attack IV's on things that don't need Atk, using a lot of these" counter measures" in a team is just going to make it weaker against the other teams. See, the swagg team player already knows that he is going to lose some percentage of battles just because of luck, so adding your team to the losses list doesn't bother him too much. His troling will be successful when you lose againt some other team because you are using something mediocre like Xatu.

I used this strategy in ubers and I actually got to the top 8 before the ladder was restarted:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-74860560 It works better in ubers than in OU because of the lower variety of pokemon and the fact that most sweepers are special.

lol at cofragigus above. So you are coming in on a super effective hit just to temporaly remove the prankster ability, which doesn't matter since most prankster users are faster than him anyway? If you are going to nearly sacrifice a pokemon just to force the prankster out you may as well just use red card.

Last edited:
Soul-Red, you missed substitute. A well placed sub will shut down this strategy completely.
The only problem is that prankster means you're getting some status one way or another, unless you're prankster sub as well.

Because of confusion making it 50/50, there is not really a 100% counter against such a strategy. Other than using 0 Attack IV's on things that don't need Atk, using a lot of these" counter measures" in a team is just going to make it weaker against the other teams. See, the swagg team player already knows that he is going to lose some percentage of battles just because of luck, so adding your team to the losses list doesn't bother him too much. His troling will be successful when you lose againt some other team because you are using something mediocre like Xatu.
You're 100% right. My primary hope for this thread though was just to find "tweaks" for your team, to make the strategy less effective, kind of like "put roar/whirlwind on something to more easily deal with baton pass." In other words, the less it messes with the rest of your team's synergy, the better, so things like Xatu or Own Tempo Slowbro won't really work.

lol at cofragigus above. So you are coming in on a not very super super effective hit (take a gander at the calcs below) just to temporaly remove the prankster ability force a switch or risk getting their lefties knocked off, which does matter since most prankster users are faster than him anyway? require a myriad of team support to remove threats that would otherwise wall you nearly completely (sylveon) or neuter your strategy with a knock off, etc. (Bisharp) If you are going to nearly sacrifice a pokemon just to force the prankster out you may as well just use red card. Don't ever do this. Unless you're running Deo-D, it just makes planning your own switches that much riskier, which with Cofa is bad b/c of his shaky SpD.
8 Atk Liepard Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 66-80 (20.6 - 25%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 8 Atk Liepard Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 132-156 (41.2 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Aside from Thundy (which admittedly does suck) and the rare Mega Banette (who you shouldn't be switching in on anyway and doesn't even run the parafusion set), Cofa nerfs the entire PranksterSwag playstyle.

So how would you counter the counters of this strategy? What stops Rotom-W, Sylveon, Absol, Espeon and Cofagrigus?

I used this strategy in ubers and I actually got to the top 8 before the ladder was restarted:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-74860560 It works better in ubers than in OU because of the lower variety of pokemon and the fact that most sweepers are special.

lol at cofragigus above. So you are coming in on a super effective hit just to temporaly remove the prankster ability, which doesn't matter since most prankster users are faster than him anyway? If you are going to nearly sacrifice a pokemon just to force the prankster out you may as well just use red card.
Lol, you just pwned that Uber team. One can ask: why use Shaymin-S, which is actually Uber. Does Shaymin suck in Ubers while Klefki is better at haxing away to victory there?

Why didn't you opponent use Moonblast? I think a +2 Moonblast would at least be enough to break Klefki's sub.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)