Greatest (or your favourite) Video Game of all time!

This thread is pretty straightforward. Discuss and show the community what is the greatest Video Game you have ever played and why. I am curious to know the different opinions of the Smogon community.

I will start it off. I have just replayed the first Metroid Prime this week and for me it is the greatest game ever made. It is amazing how well this game has aged (many wii titles pale in design and graphics compared to MP), and the level designs and fluidity of Tallon IV is simply outstanding. But for me the best aspect of the game is the atmosphere. This game just blows away everything else I have ever played in terms of sucking you in and making you feel that you are actually inside the Tallon IV. The sound design and soundtrack is amazing, complementing the great and epic boss battles in the game.

This is, for me, the greatest game of all time. What is yours? :)

Super Mario Galaxy 2, although the breadth of my gaming repertoire is probably narrower than many other people's here. I know most people say that the first Galaxy is better, on account of actually having a plot (sort of), but for me Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the absolute pinnacle of video game level design and that's what I care about most. In particular, the designers made sure to put 1-ups and the like in every place that requires a little lateral thinking to reach, in such a way that the game almost flatters you for your efforts to explore the levels a bit. In addition the soundtrack is incredible, going from deliriously happy tracks in the first few worlds to surprisingly epic backing music as the game progresses, and it always fits the mood of the level spot-on.

Super Mario Galaxy 2, although the breadth of my gaming repertoire is probably narrower than many other people's here. I know most people say that the first Galaxy is better, on account of actually having a plot (sort of), but for me Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the absolute pinnacle of video game level design and that's what I care about most. In particular, the designers made sure to put 1-ups and the like in every place that requires a little lateral thinking to reach, in such a way that the game almost flatters you for your efforts to explore the levels a bit. In addition the soundtrack is incredible, going from deliriously happy tracks in the first few worlds to surprisingly epic backing music as the game progresses, and it always fits the mood of the level spot-on.
I really liked both SMG 1 and 2. However, I have much fonder memories from SMG 1 than from 2. I believe this is because SMG2's gameplay was very similar to SMG1, thus loosing a bit of the "wow" factor SMG1 had. Both are great games though! But for me, the best mario is SM64. It is quite amazing that you look back and this game is almost 20 years old now... No game at the time had such design and detail as SM64.

I really liked both SMG 1 and 2. However, I have much fonder memories from SMG 1 than from 2. I believe this is because SMG2's gameplay was very similar to SMG1, thus loosing a bit of the "wow" factor SMG1 had. Both are great games though! But for me, the best mario is SM64. It is quite amazing that you look back and this game is almost 20 years old now... No game at the time had such design and detail as SM64.
Yeah, in Europe the N64 and especially the GameCube pretty much didn't exist, so I've missed out on a lot of great titles. As a kid I had a PlayStation and so grew up on Rayman and Spyro platformers, which, in retrospect, are kind of meh. Regarding SMG 1 v 2, I think I had the opposite feeling - feeling so much hype for SMG2 after having played SMG1 made me enjoy it that little bit more when it was finally released.

As regards SM64, yes it pretty much invented 3D video games, of course it's a masterpiece. I suspect if you were ten years older you would have been talking about Super Mario Bros instead - let's be honest, the Mario series has always been a trailblazer.

Yeah, in Europe the N64 and especially the GameCube pretty much didn't exist, so I've missed out on a lot of great titles. As a kid I had a PlayStation and so grew up on Rayman and Spyro platformers, which, in retrospect, are kind of meh. Regarding SMG 1 v 2, I think I had the opposite feeling - feeling so much hype for SMG2 after having played SMG1 made me enjoy it that little bit more when it was finally released.

As regards SM64, yes it pretty much invented 3D video games, of course it's a masterpiece. I suspect if you were ten years older you would have been talking about Super Mario Bros instead - let's be honest, the Mario series has always been a trailblazer.
That is true... In fact, Nintendo is kind of a trailblazer: it set the standards for 3d gaming, introduced proper motion controls, and is constantly trying to inovate... Too bad this gen they are not doing so well with the Wii U... that is a big shame.

I've played so many great games, but some personal favorites include the mass effect trilogy, anything final fantasy, dragon quest VIII, Golden Sun, Soul Caliber 3, and the Ratchet and Clank series

I've played so many great games, but some personal favorites include the mass effect trilogy, anything final fantasy, dragon quest VIII, Golden Sun, Soul Caliber 3, and the Ratchet and Clank series
Mass Effect, especially number 2, is one of my favourite also... Shame 3 was a bit underwhelming compared to 1 and 2

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Iunno about anyone else, but I've always been fond of the Paper Mario series. The first two Paper Mario games (Paper Mario, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door) are extremely deep in both story and gameplay, having more mature elements than what was expected of a Mario game. Super Paper Mario, while inverting the "RPG w/ platformer elements" mold of the first two Paper Mario games, provided its own unique experience, hosted just as good a story as Paper Mario and The Thousand-Year Door, if not better, and introduced quite a few mechanics that I have yet to see replicated elsewhere. Sticker Star, while completely diverging from the first three games, provided an experience that put a lot more emphasis on the "paper" in Paper Mario than what we've seen in any Paper Mario game previous.

To make things short, I think the Paper Mario series as a whole hold some of the best games I've ever played.

Last edited:
This thread is pretty straightforward. Discuss and show the community what is the greatest Video Game you have ever played and why. I am curious to know the different opinions of the Smogon community.

I will start it off. I have just replayed the first Metroid Prime this week and for me it is the greatest game ever made. It is amazing how well this game has aged (many wii titles pale in design and graphics compared to MP), and the level designs and fluidity of Tallon IV is simply outstanding. But for me the best aspect of the game is the atmosphere. This game just blows away everything else I have ever played in terms of sucking you in and making you feel that you are actually inside the Tallon IV. The sound design and soundtrack is amazing, complementing the great and epic boss battles in the game.

This is, for me, the greatest game of all time. What is yours? :)
Funny, when I saw the thread, I immediately thought of Metroid Prime.
It is hands down the best game available on the Gamecube, maybe alongside Melee and both Zeldas of that era.
That title set a bar so high, neither of its sequels couldn't compare to its perfection.
Not to forget that MP Trilogy is the single most valuable Wii game of all time (I was a moron for not picking it up when it was still sold everywhere for 30€).
Let's also not forget to mention that this title is singlehandely responsible for Retro's rise to fame and its superb reputation among game studios.

Iunno about anyone else, but I've always been fond of the Paper Mario series.
I have mixed feelings about Paper Mario games. I love the visual style and the sense of humour, but I just felt that too much of my time while playing them was spent figuring out what to do next, which meant they dragged on a bit. (Admittedly I've only played SPM and Sticker Star, having never owned the GameCube or N64).

Any Portal fans around here by the way? It's one of those few games where both the gameplay and the plot are totally original and brilliant.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Play Paper Mario TTYD via whatever means possible. Its one of a very select few games worth digging through the past for a long forgotten console in order to play. I can't say that I liked (or finished) Sticker Star, but I will say that I also had a great time with Super Paper Mario.

Sephirona

t-t-t-tubearrific. (✿≖ᴗ≖) ・゚✧*:・゚✧
is a Top Artist Alumnus
I find it hard to choose my favorite game because I like games from many different genres that should probably all be rated based on different criteria. I think RPGs should focus on good plots above all, so my favorite RPG in terms of storyline would have to be Chrono Trigger, with Kingdom Hearts 1, the Mass Effect trilogy (despite the 3rd one's ending, yes), FFVII, and Persona 4 ranking next in line.

But in terms of most fun I've ever had blowing things up, setting things on fire, sniper rifling AI goons from afar, and collecting flowers, I'd have to say Far Cry 3. Precious Vaas.

I had a lot of fun in Mass Effect 3's multiplayer mode, too.

Banjo Tooie is my favorite game and I am so disappointed that 3D collecto-fest platformers seem to have evaporated off of the face of the earth as of recent years.
I think the problem is that focusing games on exploration became a little antiquated as players started to look up where everything was on the Internet.

This is one toughie of a question. I want to say Paper Mario 2, but on my most recent playthrough, I found the game to be very easy. That's not a bad thing per say, but it's a thing that kinda bugged me. I guess I could just list off all the other games I find exceptionally good. I really enjoy Mario Galaxy 1-2, Super Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros Melee/Brawl, Sonic CD, Sonic Colours, Pokemon (Heart)Gold and (Soul)Silver, the original Phoenix Wright trilogy, Ghost Trick Phantom Detective, MGS 1-3 (haven't played 4 yet) and Fire Emblem Awakening. Yeah, that should cover it.

Hard to say, but my top 5 are probably Melee, TTYD, Persona 3(FES>>P3P), Fire Emblem 4 and Mother 3. Just below those (and excluding series repeats, sorry P4, Earthbound and like half the FE series) would be Animal Crossing GCN, Valkyria Chronicles, Skullgirls, Etrian Odyssey 4 and Majora's Mask.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would say Final Fantasy Tactics, as it's pretty much infinitely replayable and you basically get a new experience every time (minus the story)

breh

強いだね
Mother 3 is tied with SMB3 in my heart. Soulsilver places somewhere along the line and so does the under-appreciated Rhythm Heaven.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For me, it's between Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Super Mario 3D World. I think that Super Mario Galaxy 2 has higher highs than 3D World, but I think that Super Mario 3D World is the more consistent game. There isn't any sort of "wow this sucks" moment like say, the fluzzaard levels in Galaxy 2. Also, both games have freaking amazing final levels.

My top 6 (because there's two ties atm) are: Super Mario Galaxy 2 = Super Mario 3D World > New Super Mario Bros U > Super Mario Galaxy > Super Mario Bros 3. = New Super Mario Bros Wii

Okay my top 5 being Mario games is super predictable, so lemme tell ya my favorite non Mario game: Super Metroid

Iunno about anyone else, but I've always been fond of the Paper Mario series. The first two Paper Mario games (Paper Mario, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door) are extremely deep in both story and gameplay, having more mature elements than what was expected of a Mario game. Super Paper Mario, while inverting the "RPG w/ platformer elements" mold of the first two Paper Mario games, provided its own unique experience, hosted just as good a story as Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door, if not better, and introduced quite a few mechanics that I have yet to see replicated elsewhere. Sticker Star, while completely diverging from the first three games, provided an experience that put a lot more emphasis on the "paper" in Paper Mario than what we've seen in any Paper Mario game previous.

To make things short, I think the Paper Mario series as a whole hold some of the best games I've ever played.
Certainly the Paper Mario series is in the top of my favourites list! Really enjoyed 1 and 2... The two most recent were a bit disappointing I think, but still great games and an excellent series overall!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)