Other Better Battlers Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preface
One of the most important exercises to become a better player at chess is to review your matches after you play them. In doing so, we find the mistakes, positions, and techniques that could have turned our loss into a win. In Pokemon we seldom review our matches, often due to the to the frustrating implications of a loss. Well, what if we applied the practices of chess to Pokemon?

In this community wide exercise, together we can develop our skills to become better battlers! Whereas most OU forum projects focus on the team-building aspect of Pokemon, this project intends to develop the battling skills of everyone around the forum.​

Here is how it works:
  1. You post a replay of your PS! battle, the importable for the team you used in that battle, and a brief summary of what happened in that battle.
  2. Another experienced user will analyze your battle and critique the moves you made in that battle. The analyzer will not only tell you what you did wrong, but what you should have done instead. This includes what you lead out with, what plays you made, how your strategy / play should have changed throughout the battle, how to seek out a win in losing circumstances, etc.
  3. If the analysis is particularly good, it will be put into the collection below this post. The collection will have analysis for different situations (ex. Deo-D HO vs Stall)

Rules:
  • In this thread, we are aiming to provide constructive criticism in order to improve our battling skills. If you can not give constructive criticism, whether it be with your attitude or skill, refrain from posting in this thread. Likewise if you can not take constructive criticism do not post in this thread.
  • In order to prevent an imbalance of battles to analyses, you can only put one battle in your post, and try to post a battle(s) sparingly (eg. once a week) so others may get a chance.
  • If you are using an alt in the battle please specify who you actually are in relation to your username.
  • You must include the complete team you used in the battle in your description in your post eg. EV's, movesets, items, and natures.
  • OU battles only
  • Pokemon Showdown replays and Pokemon Online logs only
Guidelines:
  • If you are newer to the game and not a experienced battler, refrain from posting an analysis of another battler.
  • Even if you are experienced in OU, feel free to submit a battle where you think it could act as a good learning experience for yourself and the OU community. No battler is infallible!
  • The quality of a critique is directly linked to a quality of a battle. Ideally the battle you submit should be one where the loss was closer, lacking hax, and where no obvious pitfalls were made. An example of a bad submission: "When I played Trinitrotoluene he froze 3 of my pokemon and beat me 6-0. I used Explosion on my only Pokemon who could beat pokemon X on his team".
  • Giving information about what you were trying to accomplish with your team or what your goal was for the battle will allow you to put context on what you were thinking. This will make the analysis of the battle better.
  • To those giving critiques, remember that you are giving advice to possibly newer and more inexperienced players. Thus, try to remain as concise as possible in your explanation. In addition, use the terms of your post correctly. For example, the difference between a check and a counter.
  • However, to those who are receiving the critique, it is your responsibility to understand the definitions and explanations used by the critic. Therefore, perusing the Gen 5 Pokemon Dictionary can be a great asset to get what your critic is saying.
  • Flaming other users on their skills, teambuilding, and/or intelligence WILL NOT be tolerated.
  • Previous thread for examples of analysises can be found here.
Template for Posting Battles
Code:
Battle: Put your battle link here
[HIDE=Team]copy and paste your team into here[/HIDE]
Username: Put your username for the battle here
Summary: Put the summary of the match and the description of your team's strategy here
Leaders:
Doughboy
Trinitrotoluene
Subject 18
Gary2346

Last edited:
I played this game just this morning. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-97689773

I understand where I massively underestimated Ice Fang in Turn 4 (I was also expecting a Mega-Gyarados evolution too, but whatever) but what I'm really curious is to hear what other people think I should have done in Turns 11 and 15, where I switched out to let a different pokemon die, rather than lose my Mawile or Keldeo. Given the moves that the other guy used (Knock Off vs Mawile and Earthquake vs Keldeo) do you think I should have just sent them in to tank the hit in the first place? The game wouldn't have been as down-to-the-wire in that case.

The things I think I did well:
  • Lead with Gliscor expecting to stomp Galvantula
  • Stall Gyarados out with Heatran/Trevenant defensive core
Things I wish I had done differently:
  • Obviously not lose Dragonite so stupidly
  • Not let Heatran and Trevenant fall to stupid OHKOs, even though I knowingly sacrificed them
  • Used Knock Off as the killing blow against Mega-Aggron. I hadn't expected him to use Thunder Wave (brilliant in retrospect) but I risked being paralyzed the next turn and giving him the win. If I had used Knock Off, I would have still hit first (due to speed advantage) and killed him before the Thunder Wave went off.

Code:
Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Roar

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Horn Leech

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Last edited:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-96983806

Alt: Bernstein Bear

Team Sheet:
http://pastebin.com/VPCGZ9Xn

This is a team I've been working on for a while now that has been doing pretty well for me, I made it as a stall team that wouldn't rely on entry hazards since they're now much easier to get rid of this generation. So far its worked well, but this team needs a defogger/rapid spinner, and I feel that my Clefable is very replaceable since it doesn't have the best bulk(compared to the rest of the team that is), and I have mixed emotions about Gastrodon.

I played this game just this morning. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-97689773

I understand where I massively underestimated Ice Fang in Turn 4 (I was also expecting a Mega-Gyarados evolution too, but whatever) but what I'm really curious is to hear what other people think I should have done in Turns 11 and 15, where I switched out to let a different pokemon die, rather than lose my Mawile or Keldeo. Given the moves that the other guy used (Knock Off vs Mawile and Earthquake vs Keldeo) do you think I should have just sent them in to tank the hit in the first place? The game wouldn't have been as down-to-the-wire in that case.

• Not let Heatran and Trevenant fall to stupid OHKOs, even though I knowingly sacrificed them
  • Used Knock Off as the killing blow against Mega-Aggron. I hadn't expected him to use Thunder Wave (brilliant in retrospect) but I risked being paralyzed the next turn and giving him the win. If I had used Knock Off, I would have still hit first (due to speed advantage) and killed him before the Thunder Wave went off.
There were a few definite mistakes in this game. Firstly, it's really not a good idea to lead with a Gliscor against a Galvantula, as the best Galvantula set by far is the one that includes Hidden Power Ice - so always expect that.

If you wanted the WP boost for Dragonite, you should have switched to Dragonite straight after he brought Gyarados in. No good was going to come from staying in with Gliscor and using Protect, it gives your opponent a free set up opportunity in exchange for a tiny amount of Poison damage.

The way you outpredicted your opponent to wear his Gyarados down was very good.

You definitely should have switched to Mawile when Conkeldurr came out. Conkeldurr doesn't have any moves to do major harm to Mawile, especially considering Mawile's Intimidate. As a general rule, you can anticipate most Conkeldurr to use Knock Off on the first turn, as it is considered a safe move in the sense that it will remove an item even if the opponent does switch to a resist.

You were also going to be quite safe to switch Keldeo into Aggron. Keldeo resists both Aggron's STABs and is decently bulky to survive an Earthquake, which was obviously coming as it was Aggron's best shot against Mawile, which up until that point was clean sweeping your opponent's team. When Keldeo came out against Aggron you should have used Hydro Pump, as M-Aggron's Defense is far higher than its Special Defense (and it has Filter), meaning Hydro Pump would have been an OHKO while Secret Sword only managed to 2HKO, which gave your opponent a chance to paralyse you. Also, using Hydro Pump would have stopped your opponent being able to safely switch into Thundurus as well (not that they did, but it's something to bear in mind). As Thundurus and Mega Aggron were the only two Pokémon he had left, Hydro Pump would have been the better choice in that scenario no matter what choice your opponent made.

Your team actually looks really solid to me, it'll do very well if you apply it right. Hope I helped.

Rosebud

Turn 8: There was absolutely no reason to stay in on Scizor at all. At this point you did not know whether or not it was an SD or CB Scizor, but either way it is a bad choice to stay in. SD Scizor can set up all over your Porygon2, since you do not have any move to hit it hard with. The next turn a +2 Scizor could wreck you with Knock Off or Superpower. In the case of CB, Superpower has a good chance to OHKO at 90% or heavily cripple you with Knock Off (takes away Eviolite). Switching into Aegislash, a hard counter, was your optimal play. Klefki is a decent response to Knock Off if you heavily suspected it.

Turn 9 and 10: You decide to boost with Aegislash, but given your moveset (which is pretty bad will go into latter), you have absolutely no way to break through Gliscor or Rotom-W. It was pretty obvious the Scizor was not going to Superpower again, so you could have pulled a safe double switch into another Pokemon (Mamoswine or Conkeldurr were your best options). On turn 10, you continue to boost in front of Gliscor and take nearly 1/2 for EQ. You couldn't have broken through so the damage was pointless. In the end you didn't do anything by boosting but take 40% and then giving momentum to the opponent.
Ultimately what led to your victory was a lot of hax and some pretty bad plays but your opponent. Eg. Crit on Mienshao with Tri Attack, Ice Punch freeze on Blastoise that could hit all of your teammates hard, opponent not sacking Azelf to Conk (it did its job and blastoise wouldn't need to take damage) and the opponent burning your Conkeldurr.

On your team:

Your team is using a lot of suboptimal movesets and spreads. Your Aegislash can't break through any Steel-type and most defensively oriented Pokemon because Shadow Sneak is so weak, especially with no attack investment / LO boost, and they are immune to Toxic. Very few teams are going to get swept by Shadow Sneak because it is so weak, even after Swords Dance(s). What is the HP investment on Mamoswine for? It isn't allowing it to survive any more attacks than without it because it has so many weaknesses. By not using max speed, you are missing out on targets you could OHKO that are not OHKO'ing you, such as Heatran and Dragonite with Multiscale intact. Ice Beam > Tri Attack on Porygon2 (hits important Dragons) and EQ > Iron Head on Dragonite because a. Steel-types are more common and b. the Fairies that are prevent are hit harder by EQ (Mawile / Azumarill). Check out OU CC for examples of good movesets you should be running on your Pokemon

Announcement:

I have included a template for people posting battles in the OP. There is no need to put your team on pastebin, just put it into the hide tags in your post. It makes it a lot easier to see.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
kaygil

Code:
Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Mawile @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Roar

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Horn Leech

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Okay so no offence, your opponent made some really dumb plays that could have potentially won him the match had he played otherwise, so you got pretty lucky. For example, why he didn't just go for Waterfall on Trevanent is beyond me, because if EQ was doing that much at +3, Waterfall would have definitely killed or brought it down to a range where something else could revenge it. But anyways, I'm here to rate your plays not the opponents.

Turn 1: First off, leading with Gliscor probably wasn't the best play. I would have just led with Heatran because Galvantula can't do much to you with Thunder anyway, and you could have potentially gotten up your Stealth Rocks to put immense pressure on a bunch of his Stealth Rock weak Pokemon, as he lacked a spinner. Besides, he was definitely going to get up Sticky Web first turn as well because you also lack a way to remove hazards, so leading with Heatran was definitely the safest play.

Turn 3: I'm not sure why you Protected on Gliscor. I mean I understand that you were trying to wrack up extra Toxic damage, but you gave him a free opportunity to set up a Dragon Dance, and you don't really have anything that can reliably switch into a +1 Gyarados, because Ice Fang easily 2HKOes Trevanent. I know you said that there's always the possibility that he could have been running Mega Gyarados, but looking at his team, Mega Aggron is most likely the Mega Evolution, so it wouldn't have been THAT risky of a play. You should have just gone straight into Dragonite, because even if he went for Ice Fang, Dragonite would have gotten a free +2 boost and could have easily destroyed Gyarados the following turn with Dragon Claw, or just got off enough damage with E-Speed that Toxic would have killed the following turn. Because he went for Dragon Dance, if you would have brought in D-Nite, you could have used Dragon Dance as he Ice Fanged (Dragonite lives a +1 Ice Fang through Multiscale), gotten to +3, and then wrecked his life with E-Speed and then done some serious damage to Mega Aggron assuming he brought that in afterward. Going into Dragonite would have kept you from having to rely on your opponent's pretty subpar skills to hopefully play around Gyarados.

Turn 10: I'm not sure why you went into Trevenent here against the Conkeldurr. Trevenent can't do jack shit Conkeldurr, because after the Sticky Web speed drop, Conkeldurr could just KO it with Knock Off or Ice Punch. Besides, you needed to keeping Trevenent as healthy as possible for that Thundurus and Mega Aggron would have been really nice. You should have just gone straight into Mawile, because after an Intimidate, two Drain Punches aren't going to be doing much at all to Mawile and then Mega Mawile the following turn. Then you could have just gotten off a Play Rough on something.

After turn 10 is when the opponent made horrible plays and sacked every single one of his Pokemon on Mega Mawile instead of going into Mega Aggron, which walls the living hell out of it and can just retaliate with Earthquake. Like, there was no reason at all for him to do that. If he would have gone into Mega Aggron in the first place, he could have had a decent chance at winning the match with the combination of Thundurus and Conkeldurr. I'm not going to comment on the rest of the battle because the rest of it is just your opponent making awful plays. All in all, this match wasn't the best, no offence to you at all. Your opponent clearly had no idea what he or she was doing, their team was pretty oddly built in general, and the plays they made were just so odd and predictable. You did a good job coming out on top, but admittedly, you were very lucky at times because your opponent made some very pivotal plays multiple times in the match that kept him for winning, and any decent player would have never done that.

Anyways, I hope some of my suggestions helped you understand how you could have potentially won the battle easily and not by the skin of your teeth. Something I would recommend for next time if you decide to post another replay, is to post one where your opponent was a bit more experienced. I don't know if you couldn't tell or not, so if that's the case, it's definitely not your fault. Just take my advice next time and you'll be fine! Have a nice day!

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-96983806

Alt: Bernstein Bear

Team Sheet:
http://pastebin.com/VPCGZ9Xn

This is a team I've been working on for a while now that has been doing pretty well for me, I made it as a stall team that wouldn't rely on entry hazards since they're now much easier to get rid of this generation. So far its worked well, but this team needs a defogger/rapid spinner, and I feel that my Clefable is very replaceable since it doesn't have the best bulk(compared to the rest of the team that is), and I have mixed emotions about Gastrodon.
you start the match off well, but it is very obvious you have little expeience against Bisharp, thankfully your opponent was equally as inexperienced. King's shield has on effect on bisharp thanks to defiant, trying to fish for a drop against bisharp to check it with Aegislash is completely pointless, don't attempt such a thing. Your team is pretty weak to bisharp and you could have gotten totally sept there should your opponent have had a brain (why would you sucker against a sub agis when youre faster and knock off kills ?_?). Unaware quagsire is quite good at dealing with Bisharp, and has about the same physical bulk as Gastrodon. Unaware is a fantastic ability in general, I suggest you make that change to deal with Bisharp.

Against Volcarona you also appear to be a bit inexperienced, and youre lucky your opponent lacked fiery dance for some reasn. Special aegislash isnt going to scratch a quiver dancing Volcarona, however, toxic blissey is nearly a perfect counter. If you are fighting Volcarona, immediately switch to Blissey and toxic it, or you will lose against a decent user.

Other than that, you played alright, however, your opponent was awful.

As far aset changes, I would go and try soemthing like

Gastrodon -> Quagsire

Quagsire @ leftovers
Ability: unaware
Nature: Relaxed / Bold
Evs: 252 hp / 252 def / 4 Sdef
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Earthquake / Haze

Haze is an auto win against baton pass teams, which is useful for a stall team like yours, but EQ hits shit I guess

On gliscor, change roost to substitute, it means the opponent can never hit you if theyre slower or you already have a sub up leting you stall against slower users of strong moves like rotom's hydro pump or something.

On AEgislash, change flash cannon to toxic, your team is full stall and aegislash inst that strong without offensive investment, toxic lets you hassle nearly anything quite well. That's two sub toxic users on your team, what a nightmare.

Your team lacks hazards in any way which is useful to stall, and because you have so much god damn toxic spam, you really need something that can reliably beat many steel types like Scizor. I recommend specially defensive heatran over clefable. Clefable doesnt contribute much to your team because you already have aegislash and venusaur to beat many fighting types and options to fight dragons.

Heatran @ leftovers
Evs: 252 hp / 252 sdef / 4 satk
nature: Calm
- PRotect
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic

look, even more toxic. The amount of toxic on your team might be overkill now, and now you have a better volcarona counter. At that, you can change BLissey's toxic to Aromatherapy to protect your team agaisnt status.

You can also try Earthquake > Giga Drain on Venusaur to improve your teams match up to steel types in general. Giga drain is nice and all, and it protects your team pretty well from mega gyarados, but Venusaur is total steel type bait without it.

Last edited:
Battle:http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-ou-293389

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 Atk
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Hammer Arm

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Latios (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- Iron Head

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Magic Coat
- Shadow Ball

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Dragon Pulse

Username: JSND

Summary: While this one is a pretty old game, I want to know where and how much I did wrong on this game. My opponent runs a semi Double Bird(or is it?) team with Excadrill support and CB Talonflame + Mega Pinsir. My team is a IMO poorly thought team based on mostly Chesnaught + Aegislash as my core. Cofagrigus and Heatran is used as a tech against some threats(The original version of the team was Chesnaught, Spooky Plate Aegislash, Kyurem - B, Latios, Sash Terrakion, and Landorus Therian as Scarf).

I think the biggest mistake in my plays was
- during Aegislash vs Conkeldurr, where i should have used Toxic instead, which could completely change the switch-on-Chesnaught portion in the late game.

- I mispredicted with Chesnaught, taking Will-o-wisp as a result

- Using Cofagrigus. Composition wise, A Stealth Rock could REALLY help here

Hey JSND :) I'm just going to run through the turns, and then give you some more general advice at the end.

Switching from Heatran -> Aegislash against Conk is always a bad idea. You can't hurt Conk in the slightest, so 9 times out of 10, he's going for the Knock Off. This is just as much of a teambuilding flaw, because your team lacks any safe way to switch into Knock Off (i.e. either a Mega or a Poison Heal mon).

Spiky Shield was unacceptably risky here. You expose yourself to a potential boost and sweep, banking on being able to outpredict him.

There's a period here of you making solid plays, and your opponent outpredicting consistently for only minor gains. Then he makes a poor play, bringing Pinsir into Chesnaught's Leech Seed. While this is a prediction battle, it's one slanted in your favour, and he definitely shouldn't have risked Pinsir's health at this stage (I would have gone to Rotom and WoW'ed). He SD's, predicting the Spiky Shield, and ends up knocking 90% health off your least useful mon, in exchange for crippling one of his most important.

You still don't know if his Talonflame is SD, so I don't like the couple of turns you've Spiky Shielded against it - especially given that Heatran is Scarfed, can't take much of a beating from Brave Bird, and is also one of your few checks to even his weakened Pinsir.

Hidden Power here made no sense. Thunderbolt or Focus Blast.

Letting Rotom-W burn Chesnaught was a misplay that ended up costing you the match. It's your most valuable Pokemon at this point; you should have switched to Latios, especially given that its checks are weakened.

Your opponent misplays for a bit here trying to deal with Chesnaught. Drain Punch and BU should have been used instead of repeated Ice Punches and switching.

You should just be spamming Leech Seed here.

Summary

You almost pulled out the win against a pretty strong opponent, and overall it was a well played and engaging battle, so congrats. You know that the team you were using was terrible, and you were lucky he lacked any solid answer to LS Chesnaught. In terms of your battling, though, the main things to work on would be:

• Recognise the key Pokemon in the position, both yours and your opponents, and work to conserve their health and wear them down respectively. The biggest example was letting Rotom-W WoW your Chesnaught - you call it misprediction in your post, but you literally gambled the match away for very small potential reward. This is the kind of prediction which should never be made. From your opponents perspective, trying to batter through Chesnaught with Pinsir instead of trying to wear it down with less important team members almost cost him the match.
  • If you're not sure if your opponent carries a set up move, don't spam Protect-type moves against them until you've scouted them.
  • You also seemed to have a slight predisposition to making the most obvious and solid play when threatened. Always look for alternate moves which might have a better risk/reward.
Hope that helps :)

you start the match off well, but it is very obvious you have little expeience against Bisharp, thankfully your opponent was equally as inexperienced. King's shield has on effect on bisharp thanks to defiant, trying to fish for a drop against bisharp to check it with Aegislash is completely pointless, don't attempt such a thing. Your team is pretty weak to bisharp and you could have gotten totally sept there should your opponent have had a brain (why would you sucker against a sub agis when youre faster and knock off kills ?_?). Unaware quagsire is quite good at dealing with Bisharp, and has about the same physical bulk as Gastrodon. Unaware is a fantastic ability in general, I suggest you make that change to deal with Bisharp.

Against Volcarona you also appear to be a bit inexperienced, and youre lucky your opponent lacked fiery dance for some reasn. Special aegislash isnt going to scratch a quiver dancing Volcarona, however, toxic blissey is nearly a perfect counter. If you are fighting Volcarona, immediately switch to Blissey and toxic it, or you will lose against a decent user.

Other than that, you played alright, however, your opponent was awful.

As far aset changes, I would go and try soemthing like

Gastrodon -> Quagsire

Quagsire @ leftovers
Ability: unaware
Nature: Relaxed / Bold
Evs: 252 hp / 252 def / 4 Sdef
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Earthquake / Haze

Haze is an auto win against baton pass teams, which is useful for a stall team like yours, but EQ hits shit I guess

On gliscor, change roost to substitute, it means the opponent can never hit you if theyre slower or you already have a sub up leting you stall against slower users of strong moves like rotom's hydro pump or something.

On AEgislash, change flash cannon to toxic, your team is full stall and aegislash inst that strong without offensive investment, toxic lets you hassle nearly anything quite well. That's two sub toxic users on your team, what a nightmare.

Your team lacks hazards in any way which is useful to stall, and because you have so much god damn toxic spam, you really need something that can reliably beat many steel types like Scizor. I recommend specially defensive heatran over clefable. Clefable doesnt contribute much to your team because you already have aegislash and venusaur to beat many fighting types and options to fight dragons.

Heatran @ leftovers
Evs: 252 hp / 252 sdef / 4 satk
nature: Calm
- PRotect
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic

look, even more toxic. The amount of toxic on your team might be overkill now, and now you have a better volcarona counter. At that, you can change BLissey's toxic to Aromatherapy to protect your team agaisnt status.

You can also try Earthquake > Giga Drain on Venusaur to improve your teams match up to steel types in general. Giga drain is nice and all, and it protects your team pretty well from mega gyarados, but Venusaur is total steel type bait without it.

Thanks, I've gone ahead and made most of the changes, but I'm having one serious problem. Blissey can't use Aromatherapy along with Wish, PS says that the moves are illegal together, this was the original reason that I brought Clefable onto the team for, having a viable cleric to relieve statuses.

Other than that the changes have been great, Heatran is just fun to bring out on steel types in general and Quagsire's Haze has made a few baton pass teams rage quit already.

Battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-86221130
Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 148 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Heavy Slam
- Roar

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Def
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Ice Beam

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Roost
- Defog

Forretress @ Leftovers
Lax Nature
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake

I'm obviously Salt the Flesh in this match.

This was a round one match for the round 80 tutee tournament. Aside from getting absolutely annihilated by Volcarona in the end, I feel like I played this game a bit poorly. I feel like the beginning was pretty solid, though giving Terrakion a Justified boost was potentially dangerous. The biggest fuck up was letting Tyranitar get killed by Garchomp on turn 44, which was my only answer to Volcarona at that time. I played rather rashly in the end mostly because of real-life circumstances causing me to rush a match that was looking stally at the time. I feel the team is also not very good; teambuilding in standard has always been one of my weaknesses.

EDIT: Unrelated to my battle, but I'll point out to Thanks Brock Obama that you can use Heal Bell and Wish legally on Blissey, so the Aromatherapy illegality isn't an issue.

Last edited:
Battle: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-97896939

and team:
Scotty Backwoodz (Whimsicott) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- U-turn
- Moonblast

Manicero del norte (Heatran) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ancient Power
- Will-O-Wisp

Medi H.A.M. (Medicham-Mega) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Where are my arms? (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 30 Atk / 226 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Brave Bird

Killer (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Magic Coat

Crusty (Crawdaunt) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Swords Dance

Username: payjay
Summary: I'm pretty new to competitive battling, so feel free to rip into my strategy and/or team building. The match started off poorly, as I was outpredicted badly and played around with Tran and LandoT then stupidly left my Skarm in to die (I was thinking he'd earth power predicting a switch to my scarf Tran). In general, I think I often lost the prediction battle, but a few mistakes by the opponent (like healing my porygon when it had traced water absorb) and some luck (focus miss and parahax when vaporeon attempted to wish recover) let me win surprisingly after a poor start. Have at it, and thanks for the input.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-86221130
Aggron @ Aggronite
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 148 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Heavy Slam
- Roar

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Def
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Ice Beam

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Roost
- Defog

Forretress @ Leftovers
Lax Nature
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake

I'm obviously Salt the Flesh in this match.

This was a round one match for the round 80 tutee tournament. Aside from getting absolutely annihilated by Volcarona in the end, I feel like I played this game a bit poorly. I feel like the beginning was pretty solid, though giving Terrakion a Justified boost was potentially dangerous. The biggest fuck up was letting Tyranitar get killed by Garchomp on turn 44, which was my only answer to Volcarona at that time. I played rather rashly in the end mostly because of real-life circumstances causing me to rush a match that was looking stally at the time. I feel the team is also not very good; teambuilding in standard has always been one of my weaknesses.

EDIT: Unrelated to my battle, but I'll point out to Thanks Brock Obama that you can use Heal Bell and Wish legally on Blissey, so the Aromatherapy illegality isn't an issue.
Hi Salt,

From what I can tell, this seems like a combination of bad matchup, bad luck, and one major misplay. First of all, your team doesn't really have a great answer to Volcarona (or powerful Fire type Pokemon in general). Your only check was Tryanitar. You also had no real way of beating Mega Venusaur, so the loss seemed inevitable to me, especially since your opponent had a great defogger and your Stealth Rocker was easily forced out by Garchomp, and weakening said Rocker made it all the likelier that your opponent would sweep with Volc. The real turning point I think was on turn 44. You left your Tyranitar in on Garchomp to get the KO when both Mega Aggron and Sylveon were fine switch-ins. And obviously the crit on Mandi sucked :/

If you want to avoid situations like this, I would start every battle by pinpointing your opponent's win condition, figure out what Pokemon you need to stop that wincon and make sure to play extremely cautiously with it. There was no real need to sac your Tyranitar just to KO Garchomp, since you only really needed Garchomp dead to PRESERVE Tyranitar. On the team building aspect, you may want to revise your own team's win condition. Figure out exactly how it is you plan on beating teams with common pokes (seriously Mega Venusaur can steamroll your team).

Anyway, I hope my advice was at least somewhat helpful. Good luck in future battles!

Battle:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-97932402

Alt: Stuffy cud

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 192 HP / 64 Def
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover
Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- Taunt
Regirock @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Explosion
Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Play Rough
- Crunch
- Wild Charge
Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

I've got a pair of very strong wallbreakers in my team in the form of Mawile and Reuniclus, yet I often struggle with dedicated stall teams like my opponent was running. I think my major mistake in this battle was playing too conservatively with Reuniclus and always going for Trick Room and Recover when I should've just hammered his MVenusaur with a Psychic when I had the chance.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is other members are allowed to comment replays too ? In order to help of course.
Anybody is allowed to offer feedback to the people that ask for it. However, that being said, it helps a lot if you're an experienced battler with at least a little bit of high-level/tournament experience so that you know what you're talking about. If you think that you can provide a logical and helpful response for feedback for one of the people that post a replay, then go ahead.

Last edited:
Battle:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-97932402

Alt: Stuffy cud

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 192 HP / 64 Def
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover
Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- Taunt
Regirock @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Explosion
Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Play Rough
- Crunch
- Wild Charge
Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

I've got a pair of very strong wallbreakers in my team in the form of Mawile and Reuniclus, yet I often struggle with dedicated stall teams like my opponent was running. I think my major mistake in this battle was playing too conservatively with Reuniclus and always going for Trick Room and Recover when I should've just hammered his MVenusaur with a Psychic when I had the chance.
You're right about the Venusaur part. Looking at team matchup, you had no real answer to Gliscor, which is a teambuilding issue I'll address later. You heavily relied on Mandibuzz and Reuniclus to beat your opponent, and while you played well overall, you made some heavy mistakes. I'll pick a few turns and comment.

Turn 1: Matchup turns out great, not sure why your opponent chose sleep powder, but you made the right play.
Turn 7: As you said, you should've just gone for Psychic here. A switch to Greninja was unlikely since he didn't really seem like a good player judged on his play turn 1. Mega Venusaur gone means a way easier time sweeping for Mawile. Also, after you were put to sleep, you let Reuniclus die, which was not a smart play since now MVenusaur was free to put another pokemon to sleep. Also, Mandibuzz walls that thing hard, so there was no reason not to switch.
Turn 19: You played pretty well between 7 and 19, dealing with Rotom-W, which was a threat to your team, and with Dragonite, which can't touch Mandibuzz. However, on turn 19 you switch to Mawile, and while it turned out fine, it was a big risk. You should just have Taunted, which had no big risks. You did switch back to Mandi immediately and taunted, so it wasn't really a big deal, but I still think it was odd.
Turn 23: You didn't really have an answer to Gliscor any more, which is a big deal here.
Turn 24: You switch to Regirock, which is again odd. Mandibuzz was the best play.
Turn 31: Crucial play here. Sacking your most valuable player at this moment was really game-changing. You really should have sent in something that wasn't so valuable this match. Regirock probably. You did send in Mawile and set up SD, which was a good play. However, you missed the Play Rough, which then cost you the game. Hax :(

In general: You had no 'good plays' you could have made when Gliscor was on the field, since you had no real answer to it. You had chances to win, but the matchup was not in your favor (also because he had a lot of checks & counters to your main sweepers Mawile and Stoutland).

Now, addressing teambuilding: Imo, Regirock needs to go. This battle is the perfect example to show how useless it is. You lacked answers to water types (greninja) and bulky grounds (gliscor). I suggest you find a pokemon that can deal with those pokemon to replace Regirock. (tip: try a bulky grass type like Celebi or Roserade, who can both also deal with Toxic).

Battle: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-98017191
Espeon (F) @ Tanga Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SAtk / 244 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Baton Pass

Arcanine (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 220 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Will-O-Wisp

Greninja (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Lilligant (F) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 60 Def / 252 SAtk / 196 Spd
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Aromatherapy

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Stone Edge

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
Serious Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Username: /TenKen/
Summary: Strategy for the team is a bit of a stretch, it's more a "see how far can I go with my favourites" kind of team, with a hyper-offensive approach, I mostly plan to hit my opponent till it dies however didn't quite work this time. I have a couple idea what was wrong (aside for the squad itself) but I want someone to confirm my doubts.

Battle: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-98017191
Espeon (F) @ Tanga Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SAtk / 244 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Baton Pass

Arcanine (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 220 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Will-O-Wisp

Greninja (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Lilligant (F) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 60 Def / 252 SAtk / 196 Spd
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Aromatherapy

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Stone Edge

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
Serious Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Username: /TenKen/
Summary: Strategy for the team is a bit of a stretch, it's more a "see how far can I go with my favourites" kind of team, with a hyper-offensive approach, I mostly plan to hit my opponent till it dies however didn't quite work this time. I have a couple idea what was wrong (aside for the squad itself) but I want someone to confirm my doubts.
I feel like you played fine considering you had a tough matchup with this team. The biggest mistake I see was not saving Mawile for the Clefable.

Turn 8: This was your biggest mistake that kept you from winning the game. I think letting Garchomp die here was the better play since Zard Y was gone and it already took the Fire Blast you needed it to. After letting Garchomp die, sending Mawile and going for a Play Rough would have been better. Since he doesnt really have much that will appreciate taking a hit from your Mawile.

Turn 29: After getting the Intimidates on Excadrill, and Liligant died, you should have gone to Greninja rather than Arcanine. Greninja is always going to be faster than Excadrill barring Scarf Exca, which it wasnt. Going to Greninja and going for a Hydro Pump would have taken out the Excadrill.

Barring the big misplay of not letting Garchomp die, to bring in Mawile safely, I think you played fine. Not doing this was the reason you lost since your team can't really break Clefable without Mawile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)