Other OU Teambuilding Competition Round 5 [Entries OPEN See Post #294]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
I vote for AlexDJi. His team seems pretty airtight, although he'd probably be better off with a less stally set on Skarmory =P

AustinJ

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I vote for AlexDJi. Top 100 rank doesn't lie and I've tried out his team which turns out to be very solid.

My vote goes to finncent1, he clearly thought long and hard about the core, and what issues he would be facing by identifying the top threats in OU. Plus it's cool to see some lesser used Pokemon in OU.

I apologize for the delay. Round 4 Voting is over.

Voting results:
Subject 18: 18
finncent1: 5
AlexDJI: 2
Scotti: 1
Dr Ciel: 1

I am the winner for Round 4 and I will have my vote doubled in future voting rounds and my team will be added to the Hall of Fame.

The core for Round 5 of OUTC will be:

Mega Mawhile and Garchomp

+

Entries are due Sunday, March 23th.

Discussion of the core is highly encouraged and welcome. Good luck to everyone and have fun.

Last edited:
Oh I'm sure I can make a stall team out of this core :/

From checking, this core's ability to wall break is out of this world... The indication is that you need to go mixed chomp or get a strong special attacker. In all honesty, the overlap here is fire types walling Mawile can be wrecked by garchomp, And chomp doesn't care about fairies anyways... Mawile only cares about fire from the point that they outspeed. Same with Ground types. Perhaps investing to break Landorus-t would be a beneficial option.

But I'm not much of an HO/BO user so this is something that I wouldn't possibly be able to win. I guess neither have bad physical bulk if I really wanted to try some odd stall team. Mawile also has pain split, so the recovery is real.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.

Importable:
Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Focus Punch

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Def
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Psyshock

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Foul Play
- U-turn

Explanation:
I thought that the most obvious route given the choices was bulky volt-turn to give mawile and chomp the best switch-in opportunities possible to do their thing. Rotom and Landorus served as the foundation to this while mandibuzz was added because bisharp sucks and I needed something real bulky to not only defog but also pivot a bit. Gothitelle is probably my fav on this team because it has so much fantastic utility alongisde mawile and chomp. It can easily trap and eliminate skarm, lando, (insert wall here) because of the volt-turn nature of the team. Especially with scarf lando, the opponent is placed in a very frequent "switch to skarm and risk geting trapped or stay in and die" 50/50. Once the counters are eliminated, I can volt-turn right to mawile or chomp to wreak havoc.

I chose a sub mawile set so that it isn't useless early game when things like skarm still exist. It can sub up on obvious switches and do quite a bit of damage. It's much easier than trying to guess the opponent's playstyle/skill level on the ladder and then risk double switching and the like. Chomp really only required 2 move coverage with goth support, and so he was given an early-game purpose as well with stealth rock. Without these two quirks, mawile and chomp would have been useless, if not a liability until later on the match.

Scarf lando provides a bit of speed to the rather slow team and lends itself to creating many of the aforementioned 50/50s involving goth. Rotom packs twave instead of willo because mawile and chomp both appreciate the paralysis support greatly. Mandibuzz is probably the most passive member of the team, but it gets the job done. It can deal with bisharp moderately well and defogs if need be, though the team itself is not incredibly vulnerable to hazards to begin with. It also provides a well needed counter to things like breloom who otherwise tear away at a slower team like this

Here's a replay from around the 1800's. iffy playing from both sides, but you get the idea.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-100053202
Note: the whole end debacle is because lando can only ko from below like 78%. also I didn't mean to kill swampert at the beginning.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-100065709
Here's another one. More one sided, but mawile gets extra play time.

Last edited:
A very fun looking core.

When teambuilding, I think it would be important to have team mates that can take care of Mamoswine. Mamoswine poses a huge threat to this core being able to almost get an OHKO on garchomp with ice shard, and able to have a good chance to OHKO Mega Mawile with earthquake. Even after an intimidate from normal Mawile, Mega Mawile will be taking a minimum of 65.1%.
252+ Atk Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 304-360 (84.9 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 296-350 (97.3 - 115.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 198-234 (65.1 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Another threat to this core would be air balloon Heatran. Even though air balloon is a one time use, Heatran can take any hit from either of them, kill Mega Mawile with fire blast, or severely hurting Garchomp with HP ice.
252 SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 374-444 (123 - 146%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Heatran Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 300-356 (83.7 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Defensively, Skarmory can take any of Mega Mawile's hits barring fire fang, and can take any of Garchomp's hits barring fire blast. With this in mind, I think it would be important to make Garchomp mixed or include a pokemon on your team that can handle Skarmory, because without it you would have a bunch of hazards on your side of the field.
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 80-94 (23.9 - 28.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 95-112 (28.4 - 33.5%) -- 96.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 156-184 (46.7 - 55%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Scarfed Landorus-T can be an issue too. Neither pokes want to be intimidated, and Garchomp can't switch in on earthquakes because it's 2HKO'd.
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 186-219 (51.9 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 294-348 (96.7 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Rotom-W would make a very great addition to this core because it handles all the threats to this core listed above, barring HP grass from Heatran, but then Garchomp can take care of Heatran with no worries. Rotom-W also provides burns that can help Mega Mawile or Garchomp with setting up. It also resists or is immune to all of this cores weaknesses also, except dragon.

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Focus Punch
- Substitute

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 242 Def / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Defog

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Here is my team, it's basicly an offensive team using rotom-W/Landorus such as pivot and Latios/bisharp/mawile as sweeper.

• In the current meta, the scarf chomp is really good, being able to check both zard, outspeeding most of other mons (even with +1 Spe) is amazing. That is why i decided to go for that set. This said, i needed to find partners that take fully advantage of that check job.
  • Mawile, is an amazing good sweeper, the point is i wanted to play on its bulk instead of trying to outspeed every low check. That is why i chose a substitute set with max HP investisment. The substitute protect Mawile from status (burn) and give a free turn to sweep. Focus Punch is such wonderfull with substitute, it can surprise threat such as scizor or heatran behind the sub or even on the switch.
  • Latios came here mainly for the venusaur issue, it can serve also as a wallbreaker with its ability to hit both specially and physically. It is also a very good check against common threats such as landorus, keldeo, rotom-w, ... It is walled by chansey/heatran and have trouble with bisharp but all of them are struggle by the starting core.
  • Rotom-w is a very important pivot, it is able to check pinsir/talonflamme/azumaril/mamoswine-which otherwise would be dangerous for my other pokemon- and to give momentum for its teamates. The Evs are used in order to have a good defensive bulk and to outspeed max speed jolly azumarill.
  • Bisharp was choisen in order to check aegislash, and more generally to put pressure on the opponent. It has some checks in common with mawile, then they will be able to weaken them one to the other. Black Glasses are used because i hate the recoil damage of LO and it's still enought for OHKO aegislah with knock off.
  • Last but not least, Landorus-T comes naturally here to fulfil the well known pivot core with rotom. It checks a lot of threat as well and can set up the SR. Rock Tomb is just amazing, first it can hit hard some rock weak mons, but it also can outspeeding every pokemon slower than a max speed 102 BS (chomp) after a speed decrease. Moreover the precision is a bit better than rock slide. Landorus-T ckeck as well aegislash on a predicted sacred sword ( which happens often with the bisharp presence.

Last edited:

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Dulcis In Fundo
SnowCristal Presents... ♥

ImPoRtAbLe
Garchomp (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Mawile (M) @ Mawilite
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Substitute

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Defog

Aegislash (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 172 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Conkeldurr (F) @ Assault Vest
Trait: Guts
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch

Explanation
Very great core! There is a cute sinergy between the two mons. Obviously I pick Mawile and Garchomp first.
I need support to defeat Flying Monsters Like Talonflame, M-Pinsir, Landorus-T so i choice a very useful mon, Rotom-Wash, that using Will-o-Wisp can be annoying to physical threaths. To reduce the power of Thundurus and Electric mons I inserted Assault Vest Conkeldurr with Guts to take every status condition with benefits.
I used chomp like a setter so it can't tank Charizard Y and for this I pick Latias, also my defogger, with an offensive spread to counter using Psyshock Mega-Venusaur. Dulcis in fundo is Aegislash, my tank for Latwins, Dragons etc with a mixed spread.

Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Trick Room
- Knock Off

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

Mawile (M) @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Fire Fang

Crawdaunt (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Waterfall

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Phantom Force
- Destiny Bond
- Will-O-Wisp

First try to make a trick room team,I don't really need more than 2 trick room setters since Deo-D is bulky as heck,Onto the pokemon,Garchomp is a late game sweeper once trick room ends,also stops set ups like megazardx,Mega mawile is the MVP of the team,It uses the standard Set up set with Fire fang>Iron head for ferrrothorn/skarmory,Magnezone takes care of Steel types which can annoy the sweep and also a hard special hitter with it's high SpA,While heatran is really intimidating,Adding it would increase the amount of steel types to 3 which can annoy this team,While fighting types are more manageable thanks to cresselia and trevenant,About the trick room setters,Deo-D is the most bulkiest shit in ou,Knock Off for annoying,I choosed Trevenant to help with the fighting type problems and i don't want more psychic types in my team.

For the message above , I accidently hitted enter while thinking of copying the above team template and modifing it to sort my team,But it turned out easier to try it on showdown

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 12 Atk / 252 SAtk / 244 Spd
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Garchomp (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast

Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Waterfall

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang
- Iron Head

Deoxys-S: This is obviously the clear-cut lead for my team, with an offensive twist, as most people expect Spikes as well, are surprised when they get smacked by a super-effective hit. Deoxys-S provides immediate offensive pressure & applies it to the opponent, usually attacking after the Stealth Rock is set, after that, I can grab the momentum & ride it straight to victory.

Thundurus: The set that I'm running is the absolute best Chansey & Blissey lure in the entire game, imo. Now, while most people expect a specially oriented Thundurus set, they naturally switch in their Chansey or Blissey in order to eat a Focus Blast (Which only 3HKOs both), they are surprised when I smack them with a Knock Off, which takes away their precious Leftovers / Eviolite, then get smacked with a huge Superpower to KO them. Overall, this set is a fantastic lure for most metagame threats.

Rotom-W: It's no argument that Rotom-W is the best check for so many threats in the meta, which aptly explains why he is used so much. For my team, Rotom-W is my check for so many threats to my team, such as Talonflame, Mamoswine (Bar Freeze-Dry), & it's a good check to Mega Pinsir as well. He acts as one of my pivots, while also providing momentum with Volt Switch.

Garchomp: Choice Scarf Garchomp has fallen from grace in Gen VI, as it can no longer spam Outrage due to the newly added Fairy Typing in the game. However, this doesn't mean that he still can't check the top threats in the meta. Important things that he revenge kill include Mega-Charizard X, Dragonite, & opposing Garchomp, in addition to many, many others.

Azumarill: Choice Banded Azumarill is solid for punching holes in the opponents team, providing much needed priority for revenge killing such Pokémon like Volcarona, Landorus-I, & the lot. This is also my main switch in for Dragon types, thanks to a saving grace in that added Fairy typing, so I can KO them with Play Rough, dare they stay in for some crazy reason, otherwise, their switch in will get hit hard, no matter what, unless it's a really bulky resist.

Mega-Mawile: Finally, we come to the centerpiece of my team, the first Pokémon added to my team, All-Out Attacking Mega-Mawile. This little thing has the equivalent of Base 259 Attack, which is absolutely ridiculous. Her typing is another saving grace, giving her some absolutely fantastic resistances. Her coverage is the main selling point here, as I run Iron Head in order to KO Mega Venusaur, which is usually a huge pain for her to face.

Last edited:

Knight of Cydonia

I COULD BE BANNED!
Dr Ciel - You have a good idea with HO since the core fits excellently on to this style. However Scarf Jirachi is absolutely horrible just now, it is very weak and fails to revenge the boosting threats you will see in this meta. For example ice punch does 51 percent max to mega pinsir, iron head does 53 percent max to mega tyranitar and it can't touch mega zard x.
I would make Garchomp scarf as it is a far superior revenge killer and cleaner. I would drop Jirachi all together for something else (I'm not going to tell you what or I'd submit my own team). Also you can make Thundurus Defiant since you aren't using T wave and can boost of off defog.
If you make these changes I (and I'm sure others) would vote for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)