Pokémon Forretress

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol @ "only". Immunity to Sleep Powder and residual damage from hail far encompasses the situational utility provided by Sturdy. The only time Sturdy would be of use is if you plan to sack Forretress to check something or if it needs to take a hit from a random fire move to set up Stealth Rock, both of which are rather questionable uses for it. Forretress will be switching into entry hazards to spin them away -- ergo, Sturdy is nullified and inconsequential in almost every situation. To be fair, both abilities don't necessarily have application in most scenarios, but at least Overcoat can find some actual use, whereas Sturdy conflicts almost entirely with Forretress's primary role.
I just said "Blocks Sleep Powder and Hail." also, not just fire attacks can OHKO forretress.
I'm just saying that you can use other pokemon for Overcoat such as Mandibuzz, or to block sleep powder/spore by Sap Sipper Ability. Overcoat kinda doesn't suit Forretress that good enough than Sturdy. :)
Sturdy Stealth Rock's also not just the point at using Sturdy. You can use Sturdy Red Card to ward off Boosted Sweepers.

I just said "Blocks Sleep Powder and Hail." also, not just fire attacks can OHKO forretress.
I'm just saying that you can use other pokemon for Overcoat such as Mandibuzz, or to block sleep powder/spore by Sap Sipper Ability. Overcoat kinda doesn't suit Forretress that good enough than Sturdy. :)
Sturdy Stealth Rock's also not just the point at using Sturdy. You can use Sturdy Red Card to ward off Boosted Sweepers.
You'll be very hard pressed to find an unboosted special move that can OHKO Forretress and isn't a fire move, and outside of a lead you won't be able to reliably switch into a boosted sweeper with your sturdy intact unless your opponent either doesnt use hazards or defogged his own hazards away. If you're not using Forretress to set up hazards and/or rapid spin then why are you using Forretress to begin with?

You'll be very hard pressed to find an unboosted special move that can OHKO Forretress and isn't a fire move, and outside of a lead you won't be able to reliably switch into a boosted sweeper with your sturdy intact unless your opponent either doesnt use hazards or defogged his own hazards away. If you're not using Forretress to set up hazards and/or rapid spin then why are you using Forretress to begin with?
It really depends on your team though... You would not want to have a Forretress if you already have Scizor right? :D
My point is, Forretress' OU viable and has many uses on competitive battling. that's all. :)

It really depends on your team though... You would not want to have a Forretress if you already have Scizor right? :D
My point is, Forretress' OU viable and has many uses on competitive battling. that's all. :)
The scizor thing is completely irrelevant to my point.

Yes forretress is OU viable, but many uses? It has exactly 2:
Rapid Spin
Setting rocks

The physical bulk and slow volt switch are nice but if you don't use it to spin and/or set rocks forretress is completely outclassed in OU.

Forretress can easily handle a Dugtrio as it is very fragile and fast which is perfect for Forretress as if can do shat it wants in setting up its hazards then proceeding to Gyro Ball.

252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 67-81 (18.9 - 22.8%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

0- Atk Forretress Gyro Ball (80 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 123-145 (58 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Sturdy is completely useless on Forretress. The only reason to have Sturdy is for a suicide lead that can lay down stealth rocks. With Defog users running around everywhere in OU, sacrificing a teammate to lay down rocks and then have to battle 5 vs 6 is not a viable strategy in the current metagame. Forretress should be used as a rapid spinner/ slow volt-turner this gen. Rocks and (lol) Spikes break his sturdy when he switches in to spin, which is the only reason to use him on a team.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is Assault Vest on Forretress viable at all? It could patch up that poor Special Defense stat, and 90 base Attack isn't too bad. I think this set might work :

Forretress @ Assault Vest
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

Last edited:
Is Assault Vest on Forretress viable at all? It could patch up that poor Special Defense stat, and 90 base Attack isn't too bad. I think this set might work :

Forretress @ Leftovers
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
You accidentally put leftovers instead of the AV :P. Anyway, I honestly don't think AV Forretress is a good idea. The only small niche it has in the metagame is spinning+hazards, and the AV takes away this niche. 90 base attack is in fact quite bad in this bulky metagame.

Anyone know any good team mates for Forretress? I've been using a Chansey because it can tank fire moves and Forretress can take fighting type moves but neither of them like Knock off.

This Pokemon isn't even worth it tbh. Every time I faced it last gen it always was set up bait. It's even more so now and additionally it cannot break past Aegislash making its spinning job much harder to pull off. Defog users such as Skarmory also give it competition as hazard remover. Seems way too underwhelming of a mon...

This Pokemon isn't even worth it tbh. Every time I faced it last gen it always was set up bait. It's even more so now and additionally it cannot break past Aegislash making its spinning job much harder to pull off. Defog users such as Skarmory also give it competition as hazard remover. Seems way too underwhelming of a mon...
Combine this with the fact that it was denied an OU analysis and removed from the Viability Ranking Thread, their is basically no reason to use this thing. A Pokemon who has utterly fallen from its grace.

Combine this with the fact that it was denied an OU analysis and removed from the Viability Ranking Thread, their is basically no reason to use this thing. A Pokemon who has utterly fallen from its grace.
I use Forretress on to counter boosted sweepers by using red card, then use volt switch just to make the match ups unfair for the opposing Pokemon. It still have some grace left inside it's hard shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)