Data Candles of Known Brightness: OU edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thisisafake name Sash Blissey probably has some sort of niche.
Idk if i'm being nitpicky here, but honestly i can't think of any reason to use Focus Sash blissey in any situation at all :/. If i'm using Blissey at all, i'm definitely going to be using it as a clerical support Pokemon, where Leftovers would always be 100% superior, especially over Focus Sash, which would be relatively useless on a set like that, given you want to provide clerical support as long as possible and don't want to take a move that'd knock you down to your sash anyway, any kind of team blissey is used on will certainly have a teammate to take those moves either way.(this is all assuming i'm using Blissey over Chansey in the first place, tbh i prefer the latter lol).

Sleep Talk is another reason to use less than 4 moves on a set for the increased chance to pick the move you want.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Does Mawile-Mega not do this better? Intimidate still activates before the MEvo, and with BP teams you don't tend to switch stuff back in.
No. Mawile needs Intimidate and Leftovers on Baton Pass teams, as the BP set lacks any attacking move to take advantage of the MEvo, while regular Mawile has better initial bulk with Intimidate, which is what matters as then you can boost with Iron Defense, and also has recovery in Leftovers, outclassing Mega Mawile in this certain role.

They might want to use a different mega; Mega Absol gets Magic Bounce and Baton Pass, for example.
Ah. Good point. I'll remove this one!

Idk if i'm being nitpicky here, but honestly i can't think of any reason to use Focus Sash blissey in any situation at all :/. If i'm using Blissey at all, i'm definitely going to be using it as a clericalsupport Pokemon, where Leftovers would always be 100% superior, especially over Focus Sash, which would be relatively useless on a set like that. (this is all assuming i'm using Blissey over Chansey in the first place, tbh i prefer the latter lol).
Yeah, okay. I'm convinced.

Sleep Talk is another reason to use less than 4 moves on a set for the increased chance to pick the move you want.
That would make your problem worse when combined with Rest, and without Rest you are making a huge sacrifice just so you have a slightly easier time switching into a sleep inducer.

Even if you include Sleep Talk, the fact is that there's no reason to run less than 4 moves if one of them isn't Transform, Last Resort or Sleep Talk.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No. Mawile needs Intimidate and Leftovers on Baton Pass teams, as the BP set lacks any attacking move to take advantage of the MEvo, while regular Mawile has better initial bulk with Intimidate, which is what matters as then you can boost with Iron Defense, and also has recovery in Leftovers, outclassing Mega Mawile in this certain role.
No. Mega Mawile is better because it can actually attack, allowing it to do some real damage as a supplementary attacker on BP. You Mega Evo late, and get large damage off because Mega Mawile is strong af.

I suppose the list can add any physical move except Focus Punch for Gengar.

Antar, using your standard candles, how many teams have one of the aforementioned criteria that would surely exclude it from being competitive? I do not think it is a large number.

---

I am sorry if this had been mentioned earlier.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No. Mega Mawile is better because it can actually attack, allowing it to do some real damage as a supplementary attacker on BP. You Mega Evo late, and get large damage off because Mega Mawile is strong af.
Sometimes, Mawile will want to use all of Taunt + Iron Defense + Sub + Baton Pass, and Leftovers is the superior item on those sets. Idk and idc if Mega Mawile is viable on BP teams, the point is that regular Mawile is not completely outclassed in the sense that the OP stated.

Idk if i'm being nitpicky here, but honestly i can't think of any reason to use Focus Sash blissey in any situation at all :/. If i'm using Blissey at all, i'm definitely going to be using it as a clerical support Pokemon, where Leftovers would always be 100% superior, especially over Focus Sash, which would be relatively useless on a set like that, given you want to provide clerical support as long as possible and don't want to take a move that'd knock you down to your sash anyway, any kind of team blissey is used on will certainly have a teammate to take those moves either way.(this is all assuming i'm using Blissey over Chansey in the first place, tbh i prefer the latter lol).
You could use Counter on any physical move with a Focus Sash Blissey.

It has some competitive value.

Toljik, <4 moves isn't a candle in any case.

And re: Mawile--as I said, if you have to argue about it, it's not a candle.

Antar, using your standard candles, how many teams have one of the aforementioned criteria that would surely exclude it from being competitive? I do not think it is a large number.
I'm looking at the data before I reach any conclusions. There will probably not be a hard & fast limit, and likely what will be important is fractional changes.

Re: Sash Blissey--that's probably the niche case of why it's used. Taking Sash Blissey off the list again.

Thank you so much for tagging me on this topic Antar, I've been waiting for this.

Since a decent majority of the posts (not all obviously) seem to be on the "candle" side, I'm going to start making arguments for "not candle". Starting from earliest post to latest post.

1. No Item: This one is actually kind of tricky, because of the existence of one move and one move only, Knock off. Knock off deals tremendous damage to item holding pokemon, and a decent majority of megas not named venusaur are offensively oriented, meaning they'd prolly would rather not take a knock off, esp not repeated knock offs. I think that in this case, it may be worth it to run itemless on semi bulky pokemon or mons with reliable recovery such as Tornado-T or Skarm for the purposes of absorbing knock offs. This is very relevant to OU because Bisharp.

2. Megastoneless megamaw: It's a fairy steel with intimidate and pain split, meaning it may be able to function as a phys wall. It also gets foul play. Feel free to debate me on this one, but I think that's a largely unexplored possible niche for it.

3. Jolly Talonflame and offensive-ish smeargle have been addressed. I see no reason to elaborate.

4. Regigigas is a massively underrated pokemon, and here's why.

a. Slow start only effects attack and speed, meaning that regigigas' titanic 160/110/110 bulk is untouched. This kind of bulk is borderline unheard of for any normal type.

b. Even with slow start, regigigas still has 80 base attack and base 80 sp attack, which while bad is not unusable.

c. his support movepool is not bad, sporting things like block, gravity, weather moves, thunderwave, toxic, and safegaurd. It even has the bulk to use psych up for possible counter sweeping capabilities.

5. Grasswhistle has use on whimscott

6. One stat lowering moves: Wobb loves tickle (dunno if that counts as a single stat lowerer or not) Also, parting shot is very viable on smeargle and one of pangoro's only viable moves.

7. Air Slash Charizard does NOT count, it's his best special STAB and can be used situationally to get past flash fire mons and a few others. Also, it's more accurate then fire blast which is sometimes relevant.

8. first evo mons: There are a few semi-viable first evo mons due to FEAR builds and eviolite. I can't think of a good list off the top of my head.

9. Ninjask: Ninjask has one set that outclasses sclopede, his band set. Adamant CB ninjask has one of the hardest hitting u-turns in the entire game and outspeeds all but a choice few of the unboosted meta (outspeeds + natured base 130s, if only barely). As an added bonus, infiltrator has the ability to hit through subs, which is very relevant against the likes of sub-CM latias and sub trenevants.

Quick calc just to show off how strong his u-turn is.

252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Latias: 320-378 (87.9 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+1 4 Atk Genesect U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Latias: 288-342 (79.1 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And it ignores subs, so that's a guaranteed ohko if used after subs.

10. Fly, unnerve ttar, soundproof snow have been addressed. I see no need to comment on them

11. bite Gyara: I actually don't have much of a problem with bite gyara being a candle, I can't think of a good reason to use it besides flinch hax. Hitting trenevant maybe?

12. FF ninetails is outclassed by both unmega and mega houndoom, nothing wrong with that being a candle imo.

13. flying charge moves: Sky Attack w/o power herb is prolly bad, bounce is def not a candle due to para chance and lack of flying physical STABs. Fly is prolly also not a candle, but I don't have a strong argument one way or the other.

14. confusion causing berrys are definitely a candle

15. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that protect is a move that never has ZERO competitive value. It is a useful scouting move that assists in figuring out your opponent's moveset with relatively little risk to the user. In a meta filled with stupidly hard hitting threats that can come out and deal heavy damage to punish even the slightest of mispredictions, I'd say it has competitive value. Also, defensive megazards exist, esp megazard-x with his phenomenal typing.

16. Tflame has some serious baron movepool syndrome, especially CB talonflame. Steel Wing is prolly just being used as a filler move due to a complete and utter lack of better choices. If you can find a fourth move to take over steel wing besides maybe roost or WoW (lol CB support moves), I may reconsider.

17. Azu resists both fire and ice, so thick fat azu is prolly a candle just because it doesn't have any trouble taking those moves in the first place.

18. Not entirely sold on payback ttar having no competetive value. It's pretty slow, so min speed ttar could be used to better break certain walls such as skarm.

19. SE coverage on chansey? Not entirely sure on this either.

20. Scarfed Bisharp can be used to revenge a few boosted priority threats like boosted mega pinsir and tflame (can "outspeed" normal bisharp's sucker punch) as well as boosted mons that resist sucker punch like terrakion.

21. Yeah, screw synchronize espeon

22. Effect Spore Breloom: I was gonna argue this, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work thru subs and breloom can't take enough hits to get it to proc anything resembling reliably. So yeah, it's a candle.

23. Black Belt cuz you dislike LO recoil? Maybe not the best reasoning, but sharp beak tflame and water plate azu are things, so whynaut?

24. Agreed on spike cannon anything

25. Neutral Natures: Can't think of a single instance where I would use one except for simply forgetting to set it (I think we've all done that). It's a candle.

26. Pluck is not a legitimate reason to run confusion berries, bug bite maybe slightly moreso due to scizor. Trick users have better things to cripple their opponents with like flame orb and scarf.

27. Agent Gibbs Here's why ur politoed argument fails, there are blatantly superior mons with water absorb, like Jellicent (who has most of toeds moves and more), vaporeon, and even Mantine. It's a little more difficult then you are implying (not much though, and it's not supposed to be).

28. specific status condition curing berries: What if you really hate one status condition but don't mind the others? For example, outrage mons prolly don't mind toxic, but they hate the self inflicted confusion, so persim berry would be nice. Also, I know you didn't mention it, prolly on purpose, but chestorest is a legit thing.

29. shell bell: yeah, can't think of any good reason to use it. It's a good concept, but the numbers are just too dang low.

30. inner focus bisharp: granted

31. Big Pecks Mandi: overcoat is better for anything except fighting tickle wobb, and taunt works better for that anyway.

32. Ketsuban You are making the same fallacy Agent Gibbs made with his toed statement. Don't look at mons in a vacuum, compare it to other mons. So you want to use sableye for negetive priority payback? Try lagging tail ttar, hits harder, more bulk, and can fling it later.

33. Evioliteless NFEs: I actually agree on this one. You may make an argument for evioliteless chansey, but at that point just use blissey.

34. Fringe uses for poison point and swarm scolopede: Focus Sash is a thing, making both of these semi worthwhile. Scolopede is fast enough, so it's worth considering (swarm moreso then poison point)

35. doubles abilities: prolly candles, unless no other abilities are available

This is taking much longer then I thought it would. I'll be back on later tonight, cya guys.

-Item that's not Banettite on Banette
-Giga Impact on ANY Pokemon
Gona sound nitpicky here but Banette does have its trick room suicidical set and giga impact works on Slaking and only on Slaking, really.
While as how viable these two guys are in OU is very low tho, I still think they shouldn't be completely shut off.

Giga impact is bad on Slaking. Slaking can switch out on traunt turns, but not on giga impact turns, meaning he can hammer arm/double edge pivot a bit. Giga impact isn't viable.

| Protean 97.189% |
| Torrent 2.811% |
| Choice Specs 3.930% |
| Choice Scarf 3.306% |

Using Choice items on Protean Greninja should be on the list. Changing Greninja's type on the fly is the whole point of Protean and Choice items ruin that whole concept. The extra power/speed aren't worth being locked into a defensive typing that leaves it vulnerable to easy revenge killing like Ice or being unable to U-Turn away from things when needed.

/vp/'s argument for Shell Bell being off the list: "Unlike Leftovers, this triggers immediately after doing a recoil move. It can help things like Skarmory stay out of OHKO range long enough to roost."
And yes, /vp/ has a thread because of this thread.

I suggest we that we include Litwick and Lampent.

Thank you so much for tagging me on this topic Antar, I've been waiting for this.

a. Slow start only effects attack and speed, meaning that regigigas' titanic 160/110/110 bulk is untouched. This kind of bulk is borderline unheard of for any normal type.

b. Even with slow start, regigigas still has 80 base attack and base 80 sp attack, which while bad is not unusable.

c. his support movepool is not bad, sporting things like block, gravity, weather moves, thunderwave, toxic, and safegaurd. It even has the bulk to use psych up for possible counter sweeping capabilities.
Slow Start doesn't work that way. It cuts its total Attack, not its base Attack, so it's actually closer to base 60. Besides, Lickilicky and Porygon2 can do pretty much everything on that list and more, while Regigigas can't even stall out Toxic with Protect. I do think that it's not a candle, though, under the strictest definition.

/vp/'s argument for Shell Bell being off the list: "Unlike Leftovers, this triggers immediately after doing a recoil move. It can help things like Skarmory stay out of OHKO range long enough to roost."
And yes, /vp/ has a thread because of this thread.
A pretty blatant b8 thread, to boot.

Drean Eater Gengar is at around 1.8%, and I think it's safe to say that's a candle.

Hustle Togekiss also catches my eye at 3.3%. There is exactly no reason to use Hustle Togekiss; you don't even get to say "b-b-but STAB Hustle Extremespeed!" any more.

For that matter, I'd be fine with "any ability but Serene Grace on Togekiss" as a candle. Super Luck is at 4.9%, and while it's more likely to produce results than Hustle (not a high bar) it's still totally luck-reliant. There's no niche it fills; there's no niche it can fill. Both abilities are totally at odds with any role Togekiss can actually play.

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Regigigas's base hp stat isn't actually base 160, that's its base attack stat pre slow start, it really only has 110/110/110 defenses, which is a pretty significant difference if you ask me, although admittedly 110 all around bulk is still pretty good, the complete lack of resistances and regi's lack of reliable recovery of any form (nope, not even rest or protect to get extra lefties, drain punch doesn't count) waters that down a bit. Also take into account regi needs attack investment to hit anything at ALL for the first 5 turns :/.

Slow start cuts Regi's total attack, not base attack, even with maximum investment it still only has 230 attack for the first 5 turns, which is equivalent to base 55 attack, not 80, signficantly worse.

Regigigas doesn't have enough room to run all those support moves at once and still be able to actually hit things once slow start ends (if it ever gets the chance for it to end), really. Not to mention that out of those moves, weather is better set up by things such as Politoed, Ninetales, TTar, Hippo, Even Aboma really. Safeguard isn't really that useful in the long run compared to other things you could be doing with your time, and Psych Up, Block, and Gravity are extremely gimmicky and not worth using 99% of the time imo. As for toxic, it might seem nice with the bulk, but the lack of protect, resistances, or reliable recovery really cuts into this.

I really don't see any reason to use Regigigas in competitive play, especially in the OU tier, and i'd probably label it as a candle :/.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Most "let's attempt to salvage this pokemon" Regigigas sets in NU involve Knock Off and Thunder Wave spam. Is there a pokemon with similiar bulk that can do that?

Using Choice items on Protean Greninja should be on the list.
Can't do cross-correlations (read: too complicated)

I actually buy this.

Eviolite is used 2.66% of the time on slowbro. That has to be a candle.
Whaaat. YES, DEFINITELY A CANDLE.
Drean Eater Gengar is at around 1.8%, and I think it's safe to say that's a candle.
I'm thinking straight-up Dream Eater should be a candle. Unless Gothitelle gets Hypnosis + Dream Eater?

itt: we justify terrible sets you should never be using/only the low ladder uses with terrible excuses "but but it has a niche"
The point is, if you have to argue about it, it's not worth it, because this isn't the "use this, don't use that" thread--this is just a compilation of things that there is NO CONTROVERSY about them being bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)