Pokémon Chansey

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Approved by alexwolf

Chansey - The Egg Pokemon

Base Stats : 250 HP/5 Attack/5 Defense/35 Special Attack/105 Special Defense/50 Speed

Abilities:

Natural Cure: Any status this Pokemon has is healed when switched out.

Serene Grace: The chance for added effects on moves is doubled.

Healer: In double battles, you may heal your opponent at the end of the turn (1/3 chance)

Pokemon Overview:

You can't say you haven't seen this pokemon on the OU ladder. Has access to all the moves it will ever need, including the classic toxic/protect set. Chansey can However, Chansey does have some glaring flaws. Chansey also learns Wish, making it have the ability to pass 179 HP wishes, which is amazing. On top of all this, Chansey gets Naturak Cure, negating WoW Sableye and other status causing pokemon. It has absolutely no offensive capabilities with the exception of seismic toss, which can do 50 damage in X/Y battles, and 100 damage in PS! It also suffers from 5 physical defense, making physical attack damage rely on its huge HP even after max defense + eviolite. Nonetheless, chansey can make good use of itself.

Potential sets:

Wish + Toxic + Stall

Chansey
Item: Eviolite
Nature: Bold
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

This is usually the default set for Chansey, AKA the most used one. This set pulls off great stall, being one of the better traits. The first move you go for is Toxic, to badly poison the opponent, and get poison counters running. The next move you go for is whatever seems fit. If you predict that you will lose a great deal of health the next turn, using wish is what you want to do. Protect copes with wish, giving you a free turn of recovery, and slowly wear down the opponent. Seismic toss does 50 damage in X/Y battles, and 100 damage in PS! battles, which is good for wearing down the opponent, as well.

Team Support

Chansey
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Counter/Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Basically the set above, but replacing protect with aromatherapy. However, this set doesn't focus as much on stalling as much as it does support the rest of the team. With Wish, you are found passing wishes to its teammates. Aromatherapy is awesome, as in the situation your sweepers are burned, or paralyzed, you can get rid off such a problem. Toxic is a nice filler. Seismic Toss is Chansey's only way to do direct damage. Counter is a good move that can OHKO most physical attackers. (Suggested by multiples people)

Other Options

Chansey gets Counter, and with such a crazy HP stat, can usually OHKO a physical attackers threats. Chansey doesn't get much options that can be used effectively, including ice beam and flamethrower. Skill Swap is very gimmicky, but can hurt magic guard alakazam and Unaware Quagsire.

Counters

Just pull in a physical fighting type on Chansey, and you'll have no choice but to switch. One notable counter that can be mentioned is Breloom, who resists Toxic, and can use a sick fighting types move on Chansey to OHKO.

Conclusion

You need to be pretty skilled to use a pokemon such as chansey effectively, without laying back and expecting to stall. Otherwise, Chansey is used very effectively and fits into any team.

Important Calcs:

Why decent investment in HP is important:

A few calcs i believe are important

252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 318-376 (45.1 - 53.4%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 570-672 (80.9 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 357-420 (50.7 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Mamoswine Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 570-672 (80.9 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As opposed to 4 hp evs

252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 318-376 (49.5 - 58.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 570-672 (88.7 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 357-420 (55.6 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Mamoswine Superpower vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 570-672 (88.7 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Creds to these calcs are Hail Magikarp

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 324-382 (50.5 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 324-382 (46 - 54.2%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 261-307 (37 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 261-307 (40.7 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 126-148 (37.7 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 135-160 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 169-201 (55.5 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The 252 HP on Chansey makes a pretty big difference when you use Chansey as a mixed-tank. Its true purpose is stopping Special Attackers, but do not forget the absolutely huge amount of defense it gets. 252 / 252+ Chansey has approximately the bulk of a Weezing (a pretty good RU wall), and is far-and-above 252/252 Rotom-W and Sableye(premier OU physical walls... but because of Volt Switch, Typing and Levitate)

Creds to these calcs are Dragontamer

Last edited:
However, Chansey does have some glaring flaws. Chansey also learns Wish, making it have the ability to pass 179 HP wishes, which is amazing. On top of all this, Chansey gets Naturak Cure

A few grammar errors in the prewiew as u can see

Aldo i didnt see any mentions of her glaring flaws

I greatly prefer the 252+ Def, 248 SpD, 8 HP spread. That gives you the most out of the Eviolite bonus and makes walling certain crucial special attackers like Manaphy and Charizard-Y much easier, which is primarily what Chansey is for. The small sacrifice in physical bulk almost never comes up because if you're leaving Chansey in against anything where that would matter, you're probably not using it right in the first place, and your Chansey will find itself getting bludgeoned by any sufficiently powerful physical attacker regardless. The slight reduction in Wish HP is also negligible, as 321 HP wishes are going to be healing almost anything to full health anyway. I'd add that spread to the OP.

I greatly prefer the 252+ Def, 248 SpD, 8 HP spread. That gives you the most out of the Eviolite bonus and makes walling certain crucial special attackers like Manaphy and Charizard-Y much easier, which is primarily what Chansey is for. The small sacrifice in physical bulk almost never comes up because if you're leaving Chansey in against anything where that would matter, you're probably not using it right in the first place, and your Chansey will find itself getting bludgeoned by any sufficiently powerful physical attacker regardless. The slight reduction in Wish HP is also negligible, as 321 HP wishes are going to be healing almost anything to full health anyway. I'd add that spread to the OP.
I honestly prefer 252 HP 252 DEF and 4 SpD, as not only does It allows it to get the most out of her Wishes but it adds to her overall bulk as well

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
However, Chansey does have some glaring flaws. Chansey also learns Wish, making it have the ability to pass 179 HP wishes, which is amazing. On top of all this, Chansey gets Naturak Cure

A few grammar errors in the prewiew as u can see

Aldo i didnt see any mentions of her glaring flaws
The flaws were its lack of offensive potential, and 5 physical defense.

I honestly prefer 252 HP 252 DEF and 4 SpD, as not only does It allows it to get the most out of her Wishes but it adds to her overall bulk as well
Not really:

+6 252+ SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 343-405 (48.7 - 57.5%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
vs
+6 252+ SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 8 HP / 248 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 274-324 (42.6 - 50.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

That calculation should be famous to stall players.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 202-238 (28.6 - 33.8%) -- 0.7% chance to 3HKO
vs
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 8 HP / 248 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 160-190 (24.8 - 29.5%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO (it can actually be a 5HKO, as can be seen from the numbers)

This one can certainly affect Chansey in the later stages of the game after it has been weakened and needs to be called upon once again to stop Y from wrecking your team.

The point is, Chansey is first and foremost a Special Wall, and 252+ Def is already enough to prevent moves like Psyshock from being able to screw her over. Her HP stat is already gigantic, so it's rather inefficient to use your second half of EV's to give her an extra 63 HP when she already starts with 641. Every point invested in a defensive stat is rewarded with another one thanks to the Item, so you tend to get more millage out of investing in both defenses instead.

You can't say you haven't seen this pokemon on the OU ladder. Chansey was worthless in the 1st generation, but became a big threat with the introduction of the eviolite - increasing the defenses of this tank by 50%. Chansey has access to all the moves it will ever need, including the classic toxic/protect set. Chansey can However, Chansey does have some glaring flaws. Chansey also learns Wish, making it have the ability to pass 179 HP wishes, which is amazing. On top of all this, Chansey gets Naturak Cure, negating WoW Sableye and other status causing pokemon. It has absolutely no offensive capabilities with the exception of seismic toss, which can do 50 damage in X/Y battles, and 100 damage in PS! It also suffers from 5 physical defense, making physical attack damage rely on its huge HP even after max defense + eviolite. Nonetheless, chansey can make good use of itself.

--------------------------------------
Chansey has always been a great special wall throughout the generations but was always overshadowed by her big syster Blissey, howeher this dramaticlly changed when B/W came along with the introduction of the beatiful item boosting all NFE defenses dramaticlly. This alowed Chansey to finnaly emerge out of ger sister shadow and become the premier special wall in the OU enviorment. With her extensively wide support movepool including moves such as heal Bell, wish and thunder wawe allowing her to be a great teamplayer. The most notable of them all is wish, due to her massive hp allowering her to pass titanic wishes and be a great teamplayer.

But evry pokemon has downfalls and Chansey is no exception, XY brought along many extremly powerful psychical sweeper such as Mega Pinsir, Mega Charizard X and Bisharp. The most notable of these there are Bisharp due it STAB knock off seriously denting Chansey and rendering her near useless due to the loss of eviloite.
Nevertheless Chansey makes a great addition to any team nedding a great special wall aswell as some titanic Wishes.

--------------------------------------

Just how i would write the prewiew but of course there are some grammar faults. If u wish to use this go ahead.

Not really:

+6 252+ SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 343-405 (48.7 - 57.5%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
vs
+6 252+ SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 8 HP / 248 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 274-324 (42.6 - 50.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

That calculation should be famous to stall players.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 202-238 (28.6 - 33.8%) -- 0.7% chance to 3HKO
vs
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 8 HP / 248 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 160-190 (24.8 - 29.5%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO (it can actually be a 5HKO, as can be seen from the numbers)

This one can certainly affect Chansey in the later stages of the game after it has been weakened and needs to be called upon once again to stop Y from wrecking your team.

The point is, Chansey is first and foremost a Special Wall, and 252+ Def is already enough to prevent moves like Psyshock from being able to screw her over. Her HP stat is already gigantic, so it's rather inefficient to use your second half of EV's to give her an extra 63 HP when she already starts with 641. Every point invested in a defensive stat is rewarded with another one thanks to the Item, so you tend to get more millage out of investing in both defenses instead.
Well i stand silenced

Approved by alexwolf

Chansey - The Egg Pokemon

Base Stats : 250 HP/5 Attack/5 Defense/35 Special Attack/105 Special Defense/50 Speed

Abilities:

Natural Cure: Any status this Pokemon has is healed when switched out.

Serene Grace: The chance for added effects on moves is doubled.

Healer: In double battles, you may heal your opponent at the end of the turn (1/3 chance)

Pokemon Overview:

You can't say you haven't seen this pokemon on the OU ladder. Chansey was worthless in the 1st generation, but became a big threat with the introduction of the eviolite - increasing the defenses of this tank by 50%. Chansey has access to all the moves it will ever need, including the classic toxic/protect set. Chansey can However, Chansey does have some glaring flaws. Chansey also learns Wish, making it have the ability to pass 179 HP wishes, which is amazing. On top of all this, Chansey gets Naturak Cure, negating WoW Sableye and other status causing pokemon. It has absolutely no offensive capabilities with the exception of seismic toss, which can do 50 damage in X/Y battles, and 100 damage in PS! It also suffers from 5 physical defense, making physical attack damage rely on its huge HP even after max defense eviolite. Nonetheless, chansey can make good use of itself.

Potential sets:

Wish Toxic Stall

Chansey
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

This is usually the default set for Chansey, AKA the most used one. This set pulls off great stall, being one of the better traits. The first move you go for is Toxic, to badly poison the opponent, and get poison counters running. The next move you go for is whatever seems fit. If you predict that you will lose a great deal of health the next turn, using wish is what you want to do. Protect copes with wish, giving you a free turn of recovery, and slowly wear down the opponent. Seismic toss does 50 damage in X/Y battles, and 100 damage in PS! battles, which is good for wearing down the opponent, as well.

Team Support

Chansey
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Basically the set above, but replacing protect with aromatherapy. However, this set doesn't focus as much on stalling as much as it does support the rest of the team. With Wish, you are found passing wishes to its teammates. Aromatherapy is awesome, as in the situation your sweepers are burned, or paralyzed, you can get rid off such a problem. Toxic is a nice filler. Seismic Toss is Chansey's only way to do direct damage.

Other Options

Chansey gets Counter, and with such a crazy HP stat, can usually OHKO a physical attackers threats. Chansey doesn't get much options that can be used effectively, including ice beam and flamethrower. Skill Swap is very gimmicky, but can hurt magic guard alakazam and Unaware Quagsire.

Counters

Just pull in a physical fighting type on Chansey, and you'll have no choice but to switch. One notable counter that can be mentioned is Breloom, who resists Toxic, and can use a sick fighting types move on Chansey to OHKO.

Conclusion

You need to be pretty skilled to use a pokemon such as chansey effectively, without laying back and expecting to stall. Otherwise, Chansey is used very effectively and fits into any team.
First of all, chansey was the one of the biggest threats in 1st gen and neither chansey nor blissey has been half as useful as chansey was in generation 1. It passes 352 hp wishes at level 100.

Both your sets are essentially same. Replace protect with softboiled. And slash heal bell / aromatherapy with toxic.
Also, chansey does not fit into "any team".

First of all, chansey was the one of the biggest threats in 1st gen and neither chansey nor blissey has been half as useful as chansey was in generation 1. It passes 352 hp wishes at level 100.

Both your sets are essentially same. Replace protect with softboiled. And slash heal bell / aromatherapy with toxic.
Also, chansey does not fit into "any team".
I dont understand why Chansey
isent easyli fit into any team. I have used One of almost half of my XY teams so far. So i dont understand why she isent easyli fit into any team

Last edited:
How useful is rest/natural cure over soft boiled?

Well it doesn't allow as good walking ability against special attacks as soft boiled, it can help against physical switch-ins that don't ohko if you toxic on the switch, rest and then switch out.

Rack up a little move passive.

I dont understand why blissey isent easyli fit into any team. I have used One of almost half of my XY teams so far. So i dont understand why she isent easyli fit into any team
i think you mean chansey. It fits perfectly on stall or semi-stall teams (and in "some" cases balanced). On offensive teams it is a great momentum killer which is what an offensive is entirely centered around. On balanced teams, while it can act as a good cleric and sponge, the fact that huge amounts of big threats can setup on her limits her effectiveness on balanced teams.

i think you mean chansey. It fits perfectly on stall or semi-stall teams (and in "some" cases balanced). On offensive teams it is a great momentum killer which is what an offensive is entirely centered around. On balanced teams, while it can act as a good cleric and sponge, the fact that huge amounts of big threats can setup on her limits her effectiveness on balanced teams.
Indeed i meant Chansey
Fixed

How useful is rest/natural cure over soft boiled?

Well it doesn't allow as good walking ability against special attacks as soft boiled, it can help against physical switch-ins that don't ohko if you toxic on the switch, rest and then switch out.

Rack up a little move passive.
I think if you're running a Natural Cure Rest on Chansey, you'll ended up switching every time giving you opponent enough time to set up.
Also, in my opinion, I prefer using
Soft Boiled/Wish than Rest because it gives you instant health without risking too much on switching out.

I like to run Counter on Chansey. Seismic Toss is more reliable and hits special sweepers but I find that many people switch into a physical sweeper into Chansey and I can take them out easily by Counter.

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 324-382 (50.5 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 324-382 (46 - 54.2%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 261-307 (37 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 261-307 (40.7 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 126-148 (37.7 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 135-160 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 169-201 (55.5 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The 252 HP on Chansey makes a pretty big difference when you use Chansey as a mixed-tank. Its true purpose is stopping Special Attackers, but do not forget the absolutely huge amount of defense it gets. 252 / 252+ Chansey has approximately the bulk of a Weezing (a pretty good RU wall), and is far-and-above 252/252 Rotom-W and Sableye(premier OU physical walls... but because of Volt Switch, Typing and Levitate)

As far as team synergy for chansey goes, Aegislash works really well with the pink blob. He's is able to take psyshocks like a boss, plus all those pesky fighting type moves that chansey attracts. he can also be used as a physical wall for a nice defensive core, or force switches to setup.

Another good option for a team memeber is ditto. The only real problem with chansey is her lack of offensive moves, which can be used for setup bait. If the opponent setups, chansey can be foddered in order to bring in a scarf ditto which can possibly sweep the rest of their team, or at least revenge kill.

One little point as well, if you run counter on chansey, bisharps do not become the be all end all for chansey.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 292-344 (41.4 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Bisharp is killed by counter, and with enough hp, chansey can still function as a good special wall without eviolite.

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Chansey: 191-226 (27.1 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

It's really a last ditch effort, but it can work if you need it to. 50% hp isn't too much to ask for for this special behemoth.

I like to run Counter on Chansey. Seismic Toss is more reliable and hits special sweepers but I find that many people switch into a physical sweeper into Chansey and I can take them out easily by Counter.
Counter's also good but has a pretty high risk on getting your Chansey into trouble. Well, It's true that Counter's a good move for Chansey but I think it will not be that helpful if Chansey's got 1HKO'd by a physical attack. It's also useless against Psyshock users and Physical Ghost Pokemon like Sacred Sword Aegislash. Seismic Toss' a play safe move for Chansey but Counter really gives a lot of stakes in battle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)