Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Multiscale
Hasty
4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
~Hone Claws
~Iron Tail
~Thunder
~Extreme Speed/Hurricane/Agility

This Dragonite lures in and absolutely destroys its regular counters while still not being a slouch at standard sweeping, either. The EVs and Nature force a Speed Tie with Togekiss and Pre-MEvo Gardevoir, giving you a 50% chance to take it out even if your Scale is broken if you haven't gotten Sticky Web or Agility. Of course, with Scale Hyper Voice only does ~80% (Dazzling Gleam does even less) and it procs your WP for you. Calcs:

+1 4 Atk Dragonite Iron Tail vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 396-466 (142.4 - 167.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+3 4 Atk Dragonite Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 484-570 (129.4 - 152.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Dragonite Thunder vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 478-564 (118.3 - 139.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Dragonite Thunder vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 534-630 (159.8 - 188.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+3 4 Atk Dragonite Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 406-478 (103 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Dragonite Thunder vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 418-492 (98.5 - 116%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+3 4 Atk Dragonite Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 556-656 (131.1 - 154.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(252+ Atk Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Multiscale Dragonite: 168-200 (52 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

+3 4 Atk Dragonite Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 428-504 (105.9 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Dragonite Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 391-462 (93 - 110%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Dragonite Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 264-312 (75 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (can't do anything to you besides maybe Leech Seed/TWave, but you've done your job by taking it out)

+2 252 SpA Dragonite Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 381-448 (107.6 - 126.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

etc etc

To test it I threw together a quick HO team built around an AnglerDragon/SDMGarchomp Double Dragon core. I'll add proof of concept replays as they come:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-104614282 (forgot to put EVs on DNite (whoops o_O) but he still puts in work here)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-104757545

Last edited:
Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Multiscale
Adamant
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Spd

-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Extreme Speed
-Thunder Punch

Dragonite has the perfect ability to abuse WP. However, most competent players are aware of this threat and send walls called Fairies and Skarmory. If they don't and try to hit you for neutral, Dragonite will still do it's job thanks to DD. The keymove is thunderpunch which is super effective against those pesky dragon immunized pokemons like Azumarill and Togekiss or even Skarmory. If you manage to get a +3 boost by activating WP and/or DDancing, you will have enought power to 2HKO even toughest steels like:
+3 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 157-186 (47 - 55.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+3 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 163-192 (46.3 - 54.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 261-308 (67.6 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
When it happens, you basically won the game. But if you still struggle against those steels you can go for classical options, just switch TP for Earthquake, Superpower or Fire Punch depending of what your team absolutely need to bypass to be successfull.

Dragonite @ Damp Rock/Life Orb/Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Modest/Timid Nature
-Rain Dance
-Thunder
-Hurricane
-Roost/Surf/Dragon Pulse/Ice Beam
I like this set a lot. Might I suggest running aqua jet in place of surf? I think the priority outweighs the fact that dnite would be special. Don't use LO, as it takes survivability down a notch and makes multiscale useless when going up against slower mons.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok so I was originally going to make a set which was...
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Nature: Careful
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Att
-Roost
-Toxic
-Heal Bell/Defog Fire Punch
-Dragon Claw/Tail
I then found out that Heal Bell is an Event Move and can't be used with the other moves :C I replaced it with Fire Punch to hit those Steel types that wall me and honestly I don't regret the decision, I guess I could find Skarmory as a support Pokemon.

Anyways I felt I really needed to show calcs to be hitting/defensive Pokemon of Pokemon it may come into contact with in OU that usually think they can come in against it. Roost + Toxic of obvious reasons. Being able to Toxic Stall and then Roost of all your damage to the point where your Multiscale ability is active again. Fire Punch as explained to hit those Steel types which can easily come in without it.. Dragon Claw is just because I need an attack which can hit hard and has STAB. Tail is also STAB and avoids Pokemon setting up against me, just have to take into account the - priority when it comes to 1 on 1. Can play around with it with hazards on opposing side.
Defensive Calcs of threats in OU
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 165-195 (42.7 - 50.5%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
4 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 72-85 (18.6 - 22%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 229-271 (59.3 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Goodra Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 99-117 (25.6 - 30.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 265-315 (68.6 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Attacking Calcs of issues in OU
4 Atk Dragonite Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 168-200 (47.7 - 56.8%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO
4 Atk Dragonite Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Scizor: 208-248 (60.4 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 270-318 (89.4 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 222-264 (56.6 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Battle replays of Toxic+Roost Dragonite.
These battles were from a Tournament in the Tournaments room on PS.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-104725334
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-104734819 (This battle, the guy was raging about Roar on Heatran ^_^ ???)

If you ever plan on using this I do suggest getting some support from Pokemon such as...
Skarmory - Able to take Mamoswine attacks and after it has been Toxic'd you can pretty much stall it out with Roost.
Conkeldurr - Can deal Ice Types with priority Mach Punch and Drain Punch to get back the damage it has received previously in the battle.

Threats in OU
Greninja - Still does WAY too such damage with Ice Beam even after the 252 HP / 252 SpD+ (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-104738703)
Kyurem B - Can run different sets to throw the Dragonite off.
Heatran - Can't touch this thing.
Gliscor - It enjoys a good Toxic :] Then fires back with its own and your method is used against you.

Thanks for reading. (May add more battles/delete battles if I find better ones. Will defiantly get some Ladder matches, just haven't found any good ones yet)

Last edited:
Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Att
-Roost
-Toxic
-Heal Bell Fire Punch/Defog
-Dragon Claw
I then found out that Heal Bell is an Event Move and can't be used with the other moves :C I replaced it with Fire Punch to hit those Steel types that wall me and honestly I don't regret the decision, I guess I could find Skarmory as a support Pokemon.

Anyways I felt I really needed to show calcs to be hitting/defensive Pokemon of Pokemon it may come into contact with in OU that usually think they can come in against it. Roost + Toxic of obvious reasons. Being able to Toxic Stall and then Roost of all your damage to the point where your Multiscale ability is active again. Fire Punch as explained to hit those Steel types which can easily come in without it. I was how ever considering of using it as a hazard remover, Defog is always nice but haven't tried it. I'm more lenient towards Fire Punch. Dragon Claw is just because I need an attack which can hit hard and has STAB.
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 165-195 (42.7 - 50.5%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
4 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 72-85 (18.6 - 22%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 229-271 (59.3 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Goodra Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 99-117 (25.6 - 30.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 265-315 (68.6 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 Atk Dragonite Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 168-200 (47.7 - 56.8%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO
4 Atk Dragonite Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Scizor: 208-248 (60.4 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 270-318 (89.4 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 222-264 (56.6 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-104734819 (This battle, the guy was raging about Roar on Heatran ^_^ ???)

If you ever plan on using this I do suggest getting some support from Pokemon such as...
Skarmory - Able to take Mamoswine attacks and after it has been Toxic'd you can pretty much stall it out with Roost.
Conkeldurr - Can deal Ice Types with priority Mach Punch and Drain Punch to get back the damage it has received previously in the battle.

Threats in OU
Greninja - Still does WAY too such damage with Ice Beam even after the 252 HP / 252 SpD+ (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-104738703)

Thanks for reading. (May add more battles/delete battles if I find better ones. Will defiantly get some Ladder matches, just haven't found any good ones yet)
Your set is very similar to one of mine I posted. I would recommend 248 HP EVs to hit an odd number, and you would have to tell me why Dragon Claw is superior to Sky Drop for the purpose of Toxic stalling. Also, isn't Defog incompatible with Multiscale? And yeah, Fire Punch is good for a few Steel types but Heatran is still immune and you won't be hurting Gliscor much either, and you at least do neutral damage to Scizor and Ferrothorn with Sky Drop and Aqua Tail/Waterfall, which I recommend personally. It is good for Skarmory though, but you'd be better off with Fire Blast anyway.

I think OP should post a warning to inform people that Defog and Heal Bell are incompatible with Multiscale because now everybody and their mother are wasting their time writing whole sets that uses both of these moves. :/

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Your set is very similar to one of mine I posted. I would recommend 248 HP EVs to hit an odd number, and you would have to tell me why Dragon Claw is superior to Sky Drop for the purpose of Toxic stalling. Also, isn't Defog incompatible with Multiscale? And yeah, Fire Punch is good for a few Steel types but Heatran is still immune and you won't be hurting Gliscor much either, and you at least do neutral damage to Scizor and Ferrothorn with Sky Drop and Aqua Tail/Waterfall, which I recommend personally. It is good for Skarmory though, but you'd be better off with Fire Blast anyway.
Sorry if I make any mistakes, I'm on my phone. I guess Heatran would be another problem. I should remember to add that, the reason I picked Dragon Claw is just because of the things that THINK they can OHKO my Dragonite such as other dragons and you respond back with Dragon Claw, fair enough Sky Drop is nice for stalling with the Toxic, I just thought of the first combo that came in my head. As far as I know Conkeldurr with this Dragonite can support it when faced with Heatran/Gliscor, however I'm getting at your point of trying to resist relying on other Pokemon too much. I'll be sure to change the HP though but I really don't feel like sharing out Att and SpA EVs for Fire Blast/Dragon Claw when I'm little on the attacking side anyway. I rather just keep it.

If another Dragon type comes in against you, you go for Toxic correct? Then what do you do knowing that you can't outspeed to then proceed with Sky Drop? You're forced to switch out into Skarmory, you never know when the odd Latios could have HP Fire or Garchomp with Fire Blast ;)

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Att
-Roost
-Toxic
-Heal Bell/Defog Fire Punch
-Dragon Claw

Anyways I felt I really needed to show calcs to be hitting/defensive Pokemon of Pokemon it may come into contact with in OU that usually think they can come in against it. Roost + Toxic of obvious reasons. Being able to Toxic Stall and then Roost of all your damage to the point where your Multiscale ability is active again. Fire Punch as explained to hit those Steel types which can easily come in without it.. Dragon Claw is just because I need an attack which can hit hard and has STAB.

Threats in OU
Heatran - Can't touch this thing.
Gliscor - It enjoys a good Toxic :] Then fires back with its own and your method is used against you.

Mebbe you could toss Dragon Tail on there over Dragon Claw? With some prediction, you can force out things that try to switch in and drag them through hazards, which is pretty nice.

Darnell

Respected.
Mebbe you could toss Dragon Tail on there over Dragon Claw? With some prediction, you can force out things that try to switch in and drag them through hazards, which is pretty nice.
:O True. I guess I could try that and post some battle replays of my results from it, I can see which I prefer and it avoids other Pokemon setting up against me. I'll give it a shot and I've changed it to Dragon Claw/Tail. Nice suggestion! :]

michaeloche I would aim for a more bulky spread and Roost. that way, Dragonite can set up rain dance more throughout the match for SS teams. A bulkier spread would align with its role as a tank, as opposed to what you have which is like a sweeper. You should leave enough special attack EV's to 2HKO Mega-Venusaur.

@ All the people posting hone claws sets + in accurate moves

Hone Claws is objectively worst than Dragon dance. Unless the 1.2 boost in power from using Dragon Rush vs Dragon Claw is netting you some critical KO's at +1 (use of accuracy boost), then the speed boost from Dragon Dance is going to be much more critical and useful. Even then, by using inaccurate moves, especially as your main STAB, Dragonite's ability attack will be limited if you don't get the chance to set up. The possibility of not setting up is very real with an applying heavy offensive pressure with SR down.

From my understanding at least, the point of this project was not to try to make viable all the options in Dragonite's / any poke's moveset, but to find sets that can realistically replace the standards on some teams. MixNite for offensive teams, CrashinBoomBang 's specially defensive set for bulky offensive / balance teams, and michaeloche 's rain dance set (with some EV tweaks) for rain Swift Swim teams have shown the most promise so far and demonstrate this point.

Edit: no offense but wrap Dragonite is the perfect example of a set that should never realistically take a spot on any sort of team over any other Pokemon. This shouldn't be what we are aiming for

Last edited:
If you're including my set, hone claws is the option because speed is irrelevant when your opponent is paralyzed, and Dragon Rush's repaired accuracy and 30% flinch chance make it a physical Togekiss that trades a little hax for Multiscale.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Alright, Doughboy explained it much more clearly, but I put an update in the OP & would advise everyone to read it before submitting sets. You can use Doughboys post for reference if needed, but PLEASE read the OP first.

Trollonite
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Calm
252 HP, 252 SpDef, 4 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Surf
- Roost

This variant of Dragonite is exceptionally bulky. With Multiscale up and this investment, it can survive a Protean Greninja's Life Orb Ice Beam. The way to use this set is to come in on something that can't harm you much, and immediately paralyze the switch in. Then, resort to using Hurricane, which hits quite hard off 100 Base Special Attack. Fire Blast and Flamethrower are good for ridding the field of Skarmory and Ferrothorn, however Surf can be used to eventually beat Heatran lacking Toxic and Roar. In case you don't predict the switch in, if you can survive the attack, paralyze the switch in and continue roosting until they get full paralysis. This set is quite difficult to deal with if the team lacks powerful ice or dragon attacks. This set is useful to irritate switch ins that would normally beat it, such as Gardevoir - Mega.

Alright, I think I'll give my two cents of my set here:

Dragonite @ Assault Vest
EVs: 232 Atk / 252 SDef / 24 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Waterfall
- ExtremeSpeed
- Earthquake

Okay, during the time when Knock Off got a huge buff in this gen, I was getting a little bit bored of using Conkeldurr as an Assault Vest user, so I took my time to search around and see what other pokemon can be use to fulfill Conkeldurr's role, and then I saw Dragonite. Now, looking at it's base 100 Special Defense, this set hear presented is meant to abuse Dragonite's ability: Multiscale. Dragon Claw is one of Dragonite's Main STAB move, nothing else to say about that except for Waterfall in which is rare for people to use. I know what you might be thinking, why would I run that particular move on this poke here? Mainly to like have a coverage move due to some Steel types walling Dragonite, and to get off some damage to to some bulky ground types including Toxic Stalling Gliscor in which can be a pain to deal with. ExtremeSpeed is one of Dragonite's priority move, managing to finish off any kind of pokemon that are low on health. Lastly, Earthquake is to deal with Steel types that Dragonite has trouble with in case Waterfall doesn't work in favor, OHKOing Heatran, rarely seen Magnezone, and Aegislash if barring Weakness Policy.

As for the EVs, I'm running Jolly nature so that I can outspeed Gliscor as mentioned, Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar, and Excadrill. 232 Atk to hit hard, and lastly 252 SDef to mainly live a hit, even though that's probably not gonna happen.
So, I hope this set wasn't too gimmicky. IMO, this set should be used only for tanking hits if you're planning on using this on a team to ladder on PS/PO. Even though this won't get nominated, doesn't matter cause I just want to show my particular set for this thing.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Voting for the best set is now open! Simply respond with the name of who you think should win this week! Voting will last for 3 days, then a new Pokémon will be chosen.

MAMP

MAMP!
Voting for CrashingBoomBang's set, I tried out a few of these and his was the best, a really great pivot in the current meta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)