Pokémon Hawlucha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prankster Swagger+Lum Berry is not necessarily a new thing on doubles. Hawlucha does it quite well, though.

Swap SD or Roost for Rock Slide, though, so you have an area-hitting move.
That would help because I see a lot of Charizards on Battle Spot Doubles and maybe if Klefki or another pokemon could learn Quick Guard it would help with the priority Brave Bird from Talonflame:)

Edit: Maybe Meowstic-M could help, it has Quick Guard and Prankster aswell as Swagger so it can pull of the same thing my
Klefki did.

Last edited:
I think Hawlucha is like the Weavile of Gen 6. Both have great Speed and Attack , are rather frail , have access to Swords Dance and can wreck your opponents. Personally i think the Admant Unburden set is PERFECT on him because he can boost his speed and attack , however he is frail so maybe Focus Sash??

I think Hawlucha is like the Weavile of Gen 6. Both have great Speed and Attack , are rather frail , have access to Swords Dance and can wreck your opponents. Personally i think the Admant Unburden set is PERFECT on him because he can boost his speed and attack , however he is frail so maybe Focus Sash??
Unburden with Focus Sash? I don't think that's a good idea. Anything that doesn't OHKO you or causes damage when switching in (rocks/spikes) would make Hawlucha's ability useless. You'd have to predict the OHKO move to switch into and that's providing they don't have entry hazards. Even then, they could easily have a priority move or weather damage that finishes Hawlucha before it can do anything.

I haven't read through this thread extensively, but have many people tried Power Herb + Sky Attack? It's only a one turn use, so you'd have to predict well, but it hits incredibly hard. With Flying Gem unreleased I think this is the closest thing we're going to get at the moment.

I haven't read through this thread extensively, but have many people tried Power Herb + Sky Attack? It's only a one turn use, so you'd have to predict well, but it hits incredibly hard. With Flying Gem unreleased I think this is the closest thing we're going to get at the moment.
You should read through the thread extensively <_<

Power Herb+Sky Attack is one of the more standard sets that have been posted here for Unburden Hawlucha. There's also been Sub+Red Card sets and suchlike.

Yeah it seems one of Hawlucha's most popular sets atm, but I personally prefer using Sitrus Berry + Swords Dance set, as it allows for more coverage and longevity. Power Herb is definitely most consistent though.

Too bad flying gem is not available in Kalos (yet), now it has to use power herb+sky attack combo and lose it's coverage move.
On the other hand, it can use substitute+liechi berry set (if eating berrys activates unburden), and have substitute/SD/Acrobatics/HJK

17 pages of near-useless discussion. The only way that hawlucha will ever be viable is once flying gem gets released; without this amazing item, it's crippled immensely and not worth using at all. It'll be pretty good once flying gem gets released, but before then, it's not worth using in any capacity.

17 pages of near-useless discussion. The only way that hawlucha will ever be viable is once flying gem gets released; without this amazing item, it's crippled immensely and not worth using at all. It'll be pretty good once flying gem gets released, but before then, it's not worth using in any capacity.
Which is why it got quickbanned from UU pending a retest, right?

I've been claiming for a long time, including much earlier in this thread, that Hawlucha stood a good chance of winding up in the BL tier. It can't compete in OU, where Aegislash, Mega-Pinsir, and Talonflame are running rampant, but UU is a different story altogether.

There are Pokemon with better base stats, but Fighting/Flying STAB coverage is unique to Hawlucha. It's also perfect neutral coverage outside of the Aegislash line. Hawlucha is resistant or neutral to all priority, including a Mach Punch and Sucker Punch resist, except for priority Flying from MPinsir and Talonflame. And while its unboosted attack is a bit low, at +2 its neutral hits are nothing short of devastating.

Coming in here and pooping all over the discussion of a Pokemon by saying it's not viable, when the lean of 17 pages of discussion is that it's at least potentially viable in OU and devastating in any tier below that, is not really helpful. Or correct, for that matter.

Sure this is the OU board, but this thread and much of the discussion therein predates the formation of the UU tier.

We'll handled in the right team, it is certainly viable. I've certainly run across one memorable example of that.

Hawlucha is a brilliant Mon, crippled by the current meta. if not for Aegislash and Talonflame, and to a lesser extent Pinsir and Thundurus, he would wreck shit up. He still does well on common threats such as T Tar and Bisharp, forcing them out, but his playstyle kind of demands the two most potent OU members are gotten rid of before he can Unburden and sweep. He works well with Rotom-H, who handles both, and Pursuit trappers do well too.

Unburden with Focus Sash? I don't think that's a good idea. Anything that doesn't OHKO you or causes damage when switching in (rocks/spikes) would make Hawlucha's ability useless. You'd have to predict the OHKO move to switch into and that's providing they don't have entry hazards. Even then, they could easily have a priority move or weather damage that finishes Hawlucha before it can do anything.
Well I mean either that or Weakness Policy.

Hawlucha is the definition of a great physical sweeper but lacks coverage which gets it walled. If Hawlucha had Earthquake it would be so much better as it can break through almost anything. Zapdos will be a problem for it has it is for Mega Pinsir. If Hawlucha got Earthquake I'd be leaning towards a set of something like this:

Hawlucha @ Fighting Gem / Flying Gem (Once They are released) / Lum Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Earthquake

Hawlucha is the definition of a great physical sweeper but lacks coverage which gets it walled. If Hawlucha had Earthquake it would be so much better as it can break through almost anything. Zapdos will be a problem for it has it is for Mega Pinsir. If Hawlucha got Earthquake I'd be leaning towards a set of something like this:

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Earthquake
It has Rock Slide for things other than Aegislash that are resistant to Fighting and Flying.
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 326-384 (101.2 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus-T: 380-448 (126.6 - 149.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
The Power Gem set won't be able to fit it, but Sitrus Berry and Lum Berry can definitely have room for it and Flying Gem too, once it is/if it gets released.

It's a shame that Hawlucha doesn't get Endure. It would work perfectly with a berry or Weakness Policy. Power Herb and Sitrus Berry work well enough for now though.

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Earthquake
if it had earthquake you would use mold breaker as it ability it gets dig and mud sport that is all it gets for ground type

if it had earthquake you would use mold breaker as it ability it gets dig and mud sport that is all it gets for ground type
That makes no sense whatsoever. I would still use Unburden, I would just have Earthquake as coverage against Aegislash. Dig and that other move is shit. I said if it got it. Not saying it does have it.

This is the problem with it. It survives some hits making Focus Sash/ Weakness Policy iffy.
The trouble is it can't usually survive an SE hit but often can survive a neutral hit.

That makes no sense whatsoever. I would still use Unburden, I would just have Earthquake as coverage against Aegislash. Dig and that other move is shit. I said if it got it. Not saying it does have it.
Mold Breaker has its uses. At +2 it guarantees a 1HKO on Multiscale Dragonite and Mega Aggron, and can 2HKO Unaware Quagsire or 1HKO Unaware Clefable. It's not as good as Unburden by itself, normally, but there are ways to use it, such as by receiving a Baton Pass. Hawlucha can sweep without needing a full BP chain to be set up, if you can just give him Rock Slide/HJK/Acro/SD and pass him a speed boost.

Soooo does Flying Press really even matter? There might be something I'm not seeing here but Hi Jump Kick and Acrobatics seem for have better coverage separately

Here are some damage calcs against some physically bulky Pokemon that are currently OU using the current Attack stat (which is actually confirmed to be exact now from multiple people catching hawlucha and comparing stats iirc) to try and get a feel for Hawlucha's power. All damage calculations will be at +2 and assuming a Jolly nature, Calcs also include both Flying Gem Acrobatics and non Flying Gem Acrobatics.

Vs Hippowdon

+2 252 Atk Flying Gem Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 273-322 (65 - 76.66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 214-253 (50.95 - 60.23%) -- 89.06% chance to 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 183-216 (43.57 - 51.42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Vs Skarmory

+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Hi Jump Kick vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 190-225 (58.1 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs Forretress

+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 190-225 (53.67 - 63.55%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 160-190 (45.19 - 53.67%) -- 1.95% chance to 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Flying Gem Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 241-285 (68.07 - 80.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs Landorus-T

+1 252 Atk Flying Gem Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Landorus-T: 289-342 (75.85 - 89.76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Landorus-T: 195-229 (51.18 - 60.1%) -- 89.06% chance to 2HKO

So what do you think? does +2 Hawlucha's damage output look impressive, decent, or underwhelming?

As for getting Brave Bird, that seems like it'll be a decent option on Hawlucha. At first it might seem like Acrobatics is better because of Unburden and the recoil Brave Bird causes, but having a powerful Flying-type STAB Outside of Acrobatics gives Hawlucha the ability to hold another item such as a Life Orb or Lum Berry, the former of which increases its damage output pretty significantly despite the recoil. Just take a look at how much a +2 Life Orb Hi Jump Kick does to hippowdon o_O.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Hawlucha Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 278-329 (66.19 - 78.33%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Thats a little more than even a Flying Gem Acrobatics!
These are amazing! I might actually try using hawlucha now. Even so in an actual game vs hippowdon or landorous-T or skarmory wouldn't they be able to OKHO hawlucha most of the time? Especially since Still I reckon hawlucha has a place in UU. Thanks for the calcs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)