Pokémon Hawlucha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh. Sorry didn't know that. Do you know why it was banned?
Because Wrassleburd is pure awesome.

No, seriously, here's why. It's because he's blazingly fast. Very few Pokemon outspeed him naturally, and a fair chunk of those are OU or Ubers or terrible. He has Unburden, which will put him ahead of any unboosted Pokemon in the game and virtually any scarfer. He has virtually perfect neutral coverage with two frighteningly powerful STAB moves in Acrobatics and High Jump Kick, and he can score clean 1HKOs on a wide variety of enemies with just neutral coverage; anything with a Fighting or Flying weakness is just going to be a smoking crater. And on top of that, he's resistant or neutral to most priority, including Sucker Punch and Mach Punch, two of the most common. Finally, less important but still icing on the cake, Hawlucha is one of the very few users of Flying STAB who is also neutral to Stealth Rock damage.

Hawlucha has exactly two flaws that keep it from being a holy terror in OU as well. First of all, its base stats besides Speed are slightly lackluster; it's a touch frail, and its damage isn't quite good enough to justify using it without a boost.

Second, aside from enemies like Prankster WoW users, there are a few Pokemon that do hardcounter it. Mega Pinsir can very nearly 1HKO with Quick Attack, Talonflame can guarantee a 1HKO with Brave Bird, and Aegislash walls it fairly hard.

Or, in other words, OU is effectively crawling with major threats, and UU... isn't.

Hawlucha is outright walled by too many of the top OU threats like Aegislash and Thundurus, requires set up while being frail compared to other sweepers, and a weakness to Flying and Ice priority do it no favors either. He's just too hard to set up and can't muscle past enough threats despite having great STABS to abuse.

Those stats are a bit underwhelming, but this thing can wreck with a Chesto-Rest set. With what is listen I'm thinking.

Hawlucha@Chesto Berry
Unburden
EVs (Depending on its speed with Unburden it only needs enough to outrun, say, base 120 with scar but that depends on the meta. Focus on HP and SpD)
~ Bulk Up
~ Acrobatics
~ Rest
~ Flying Press/Fighting Move/Substitute

This is sort of a reverse Conkeldurr but with better coverage. Bulk Up to get great offense and defensive levels, then Rest to heal off and activate both Acrobatics and Unburden. Roost is viable too but Rest can alleviate status. Getting a better understanding of this guy's base stats and move pool will allow for a finer tuned set. You could potentially also just opt for Acrobatics and brute force your way through a team with Substitute and Bulk Up. Flying fortunately has no immunities.

This thing has awesome design I hope we find some utility.
I've been testing this set and it has been working really well for me. A lot of people use will-o-wisp and slowly try to take him down before I use rest. After that I usually sweep the rest of the team. I havn't ran into Thunderous or Aegislash yet though which will both probably give him a lot of problems

Ha! Irony.

Yeah, in a vacuum that set I concocted sounds good, but the meta is too well prepared for Flying offense these days, and Aegeslash and Thundurus are both in the top 10 in usage I believe, so you'd best bet it wouldn't be able to hold its weight on the upper ladder.

Hawlucha is outright walled by too many of the top OU threats like Aegislash and Thundurus, requires set up while being frail compared to other sweepers, and a weakness to Flying and Ice priority do it no favors either. He's just too hard to set up and can't muscle past enough threats despite having great STABS to abuse.
Hawlucha is more of a lategame pokemon though. He can easily clean up once the threats that wall him are gone. Most teams usually only have 1 or 2 pokemon that wall Hawlucha heavily. He also has reasonable bulk and a reasonable defensive typing meaning he can usually take 1 hit of anything even from the most powerful attacks. This way you can either boost your attack or speed in that turn.

This is all speaking from personal experience of using him in OU so I might be wrong on some parts but I think Hawlucha can still be a solid pokemon with the right support.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hawlucha definately has a niche in ou, being the only baton passer with mold breaker. Both unaware quag & clefable are getting popular, both problems to bp, hawl can easily break through both with a +4/6 acrobatis or shit like that. Unless your running celebii, it should be a must for bp teams
sd / hone claws
roost
baton pass
hjk / acrobatics

+4 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 441-520 (111.9 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 403-475 (102.2 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+4 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 357-420 (90.6 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Not great but pretty valuble

Hawlucha definately has a niche in ou, being the only baton passer with mold breaker. Both unaware quag & clefable are getting popular, both problems to bp, hawl can easily break through both with a +4/6 acrobatis or shit like that. Unless your running celebii, it should be a must for bp teams
sd / hone claws
roost
baton pass
hjk / acrobatics

+4 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 441-520 (111.9 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 403-475 (102.2 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+4 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 357-420 (90.6 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Not great but pretty valuble
However both of those 'mons are very well known for carrying unaware so those +'s aren't very relevant. Magic guard is fairly popular as well though, so does make it a 50/50 for Clefable to carry Unaware. Most of the Clefables I've seen also run max Def as well. I'm a dumbass, lol.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
However both of those 'mons are very well known for carrying unaware so those +'s aren't very relevant. Magic guard is fairly popular as well though, so does make it a 50/50 for Clefable to carry Unaware. Most of the Clefables I've seen also run max Def as well.
did you not read the post, i was talking about how MOLD BREAKER hawlucha is the best at breaking through unaware walls, smh

Hawlucha is more of a lategame pokemon though. He can easily clean up once the threats that wall him are gone. Most teams usually only have 1 or 2 pokemon that wall Hawlucha heavily. He also has reasonable bulk and a reasonable defensive typing meaning he can usually take 1 hit of anything even from the most powerful attacks. This way you can either boost your attack or speed in that turn.
Not really. The defensive typing I'll concede, but at 78/75/63, his defenses are pretty mediocre. You have to be careful about letting Hawlucha take a hit, since even after the Unburden boost he's vulnerable to all forms of priority. Though it does help that he's resistant to Mach Punch and Sucker Punch, two of the most popular priority moves.

Mediocre? That's beyond being generous. Not one of Hawlucha's defenses are above BST 80 and you are not likely to invest in them either. Trust me, we are currently calling Mew's 100/100/100 defenses average in this day and age. Hawlucha's defenses are downright subpar.

That.
Sweep http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-108285082 Just shows how deadly this thing can be if used correctly
Huh.

I was not expecting that.

And the best part was that Sucker Punch wasn't even a threat, though it feels like sending in Bisharp was a misplay for your opponent.

(calcs)

nnnnope even at +1 Hawlucha had glorious 1HKOs over everything your opponent had left. Forgot Keldeo was part-Fighting.

of note:

+3 252+ Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 1836-2164 (658 - 775.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

you could have done less damage just dropping a tactical nuclear strike on the battlefield y'know

This Pokemon is OP from what I have seen. Unburden keeps this thing in the meta because there are quite a few ways of using it. I bet you ol' Huevo Libre over here can land a spot in upper RU or even lower UU. I really want one of these to try it out myself.

This Pokemon is OP from what I have seen. Unburden keeps this thing in the meta because there are quite a few ways of using it. I bet you ol' Huevo Libre over here can land a spot in upper RU or even lower UU. I really want one of these to try it out myself.
It's banned from UU and completely walled by one of the most common OU pokemon (Aegislash) and revengekilled by another of the most common OU pokemon (Talonflame) it doesn't have great coverage without having to resort to crap like Fling and it actually has to run Power Herb + Sky attack or Fling + (most likely) Dread Plate in order to make use of it's Unburden ability.

Honestly it's pretty terrible in OU (I'd go as far as to say probably the least OU viable BL mon) and banned in UU so yeah, this thing won't see much usage anywhere.

It's banned from UU and completely walled by one of the most common OU pokemon (Aegislash) and revengekilled by another of the most common OU pokemon (Talonflame) it doesn't have great coverage without having to resort to crap like Fling and it actually has to run Power Herb + Sky attack or Fling + (most likely) Dread Plate in order to make use of it's Unburden ability.

Honestly it's pretty terrible in OU (I'd go as far as to say probably the least OU viable BL mon) and banned in UU so yeah, this thing won't see much usage anywhere.
frankly, when I first saw its character design, once I got over the whooping and cheering, I scarcely dared to hope that Hawlucha would be above Delibird-tier thanks to Trollfreak.

Unviable in OU because its two hardest counters are two of the top-usage OU 'mons and banned from UU because in the absence of those hardcounters it pretty much couldn't be stopped once it started? I'll take it. Wrassleburd's usage may not be great but we had a good run!

frankly, when I first saw its character design, once I got over the whooping and cheering, I scarcely dared to hope that Hawlucha would be above Delibird-tier thanks to Trollfreak.

Unviable in OU because its two hardest counters are two of the top-usage OU 'mons and banned from UU because in the absence of those hardcounters it pretty much couldn't be stopped once it started? I'll take it. Wrassleburd's usage may not be great but we had a good run!
Well Doublade hard countered it in UU but it's a little less common than Aegislash in ou.

Hawlucha might drop down to UU at some point honestly, it does have checks and counters, especially prankster mons can really mess with it and the unburden set only really has one chance to sweep.

Last edited:

Will Doublade hard countered it in UU but it's a little less common than Aegislash in ou.

Hawlucha might drop down to UU at some point honestly, it does have checks and counters, especially prankster mons can really mess with it and the unburden set only really has one chance to sweep.
I really do think the ban was uneccessary. It had a fair share of counters like the former mentioned Evio Doublade, and maybe Sableye if Fairies prove too much for the Gem Goblin. Due to its good speed, it does do decently with revenge kills, and has High Jump Kick. It does fair well in the lower parts of OU, but gets wrecked by Talon and Aegi, the op beasts of OU itself. Overall, it can fight fairly against most of the other Pokemon in the tier, but gets decimated by a good amount of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)