Centerpiece

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Centerpiece

Introduction:

Hey guys, I'm Dat Blast, and welcome to my first Gen VI RMT! This has been by far my most successful team since the tier went official, performing very well in both ladder and tournament matches alike. It's currently peaked #18 on the ladder with a ELO of 1629, and even managed to win me the last few rounds of the most recent UU minitour, going 4-0. So I figured I'd take the time now to share it. The team's strategy is relatively simple: it utilizes multiple dangerous setup sweepers to maintain heavy pressure on the opponent, with the hopes of sealing a win with one of them. Strangely enough though, the team actually ended up forming its own strategy more than I did--I didn't base it around anything in particular so there's no real "centerpiece" ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ . I kind of just built it out of boredom one day and brought it against the ladder not expecting much, but as I played, the team kind of just developed more or less on its own, and to my surprise very well. Without further ado, let's get on with the team!

The Team at a Glance:

A Closer Look:

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SDef / 24 Spd
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled

Mew is basically here to serve as the team’s specially defensive pivot, disruptor, and hazard control. I’m using the Defog set mostly because I’m paranoid as fuck about Sticky Web (SR removal is neat for Houndoom too, but mostly Web). The main reason I chose it over other Defoggers was because of I needed a secondary check to Mega Manectric; without it there’s just way too much pressure on Nidoqueen to check it throughout the match, especially considering its lack of recovery. Outside of that, Mew is an excellent mixed wall thanks to heavy SpD investment and WoW, and provides ever-so-useful support in the form of burns and Knock Off, crippling opposing Pokemon and paving the way for a teammate to sweep. EVs are standard, outspeeds Adamant Honchkrow and burns it so you can stall it out with Soft-Boiled.

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 160 Spd / 96 HP
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Gunk Shot

Toxicroak is one of the more recent additions to my team, though it’s proven its worth multiple times. It was added mainly because of the sheer amount of threats it could at least feasibly check: Mega Blastoise, Heracross, Mienshao, the move Scald, etc, but outside of that it’s a really great and underrated sweeper and great at punching holes into a lot of teams. I’m also using a bit more bulk over the standard fully offensive spread because I often rely on this guy to check stuff like ScarfCross locked into Megahorn, so I customized this to outspeed Honchkrow + a bunch of creep for defensive base 100s and the rest in HP to hit an LO number. But yeah Croaker is really really anti-meta rn and definitely deserves a lot more love.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Slowbro was the first Pokemon I added to the team, so it’s probably the closest you’ll get to the “focus” (though like I said, it wasn’t ~really~ build around anything in particular). There’s not a whole lot to say about Slowbro in general; it’s a fantastic defensive wall / bulky sweeper all at once, and it’s just awesomely reliable at what it does. On this team, it serves as my physically defensive pivot as well as my main answer to stall, being able to switch in on a ton of dangerous stuff like physical Fire-types, Flygon, Mega Aerodactlyl, etc. and burn stuff or rack up boosts. Though easily the main reason Slowbro fits on this team so well is Regenerator; it can pivot into attacks so many times over the match and just Regenerate up when it’s low on health, which only enhances its role as a defensive pivot.

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Destiny Bond

Mega Houndoom is easily one of the top offensive threats in UU today. It provides my team with Speed, power, and most importantly a check to Ghost-types, which would have a pretty easy time wrecking me otherwise. It’s the primary offensive sweeper on this team, generally either cleaning up late-game or punching holes mid-game with boosted attacks and Destiny Bond. Destiny Bond is also pretty useful to serve as sort of a “threat control” if something on the opposing side gets too out of hand, so I almost always have a backup plan if something goes wrong. I never play too recklessly with it though, as Doomer is my main check against a lot of Pokemon (most notably Chandelure), so often I don’t pull a DBond off unless I absolutely have to.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SAtk / 156 Spd / 100 HP
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam

If you’re asking me, a Ground-type (or at least an Electric immunity) is honestly necessary on most teams just because of how insanely good the move Volt Switch is. The Electric-types in this metagame (Mega Manectric, Mega Ampharos, etc) are particularly amazing, which just makes it that much more important. Nidoqueen was the chosen Ground-type mainly because it can serve as an additional Heracross check (admittedly though, that was more important in an earlier draft of the team), and for its ability to just punch general holes in a lot of teams with its great coverage. And, of course, it handles Electric-types with relative ease thanks to its great bulk and typing, making it a prime choice for a bulky offensive SR setter. I will say this, though: in more recent runs I’ve had with the team, it’s probably my most expendable member since outside of absorbing Volt Switch it doesn’t really do much the rest of the team can’t, but it’s still performed well so I’m not complaining. EV spread outspeeds defensive base 95s like bulky Krookodile and Roserade and takes them out with Ice Beam.

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace

Last but not least, Scarf Mienshao serves as the revenge killer as well as a partial momentum grabber (I say "partial" because no STAB U-turn). It was chosen for this role for a few reasons: it’s incredibly fast, resists Sucker Punch, and can lure in its counters and grab momentum with U-turn. The resistance to Sucker Punch is particularly important, as it allows it to RK stuff like Mega Absol and Honchkrow, making it a vital member of the team. It also happens to be very fast, even for a Scarfer, as it can revenge kill nearly every other common Scarfer in addition to all unboosted threats, making it a top Scarfer for just about any team. The moveset is pretty self-explanatory: HJK is STAB, U-turn for momentum, Knock Off for coverage + utility, and Aerial Ace to revenge kill Heracross. Regenerator is used to make it basically impossible to wear down, which is important since it needs to be at high health to take a boosted Sucker from M-Absol or Honchkrow.

Threatlist:

Bulky boosters: CMBro and Curselax are the main offenders here. I simply can’t muscle through them if they get too many boosts up, and each are capable of boosting against several members of my team. If they get too out of hand I can always rely on Houndoom’s DBond to take them out, though obviously that’s not the most reliable or optimal method more often than not. OTR Cofagrigus can also be an issue if Houndoom gets too low, though it’s slightly more manageable.

Dark-types: Mega Absol and Mega Houndoom are really dangerous to face. NP Doomer as well as Absol running Sucker Punch / Knock Off / Superpower / Psycho Cut can basically destroy my whole team, since nothing can switch in safely and nothing likes having their items removed by Absol’s Knock Off. I usually have to play smart around them and try to pressure them with my attackers, since Absol is frail and Doomer is SR weak, though they’re definitely not to be taken lightly. Krookodile is also a bit annoying but luckily it's a bit easier to play around since it's slower if it's defensive / locked into a move if it's Scarf.

Scarf Heracross: Normally Scarfers aren’t much of a problem because they’ll naturally not very strong, but Heracross is an exception due to its ability to snowball up boosts and hit my team where it hurts. It’s not unmanageable, since I have several ways of checking it, but from experience I’ve learned not to underestimate it. Tbh I don’t get why some people bash it so much since I personally have hardly found it underwhelming, but that’s just me.

Status: Random Toxics against my defensive Pokemon and TWaves against my offensive ones are pretty annoying for me, since they more often than not ruin their chances to sweep. I don’t have a cleric either, so I mainly just have to proceed with caution when I see my opponent doing something like bring their Swampert into my Slowbro. Sleep is also a bit problematic from the likes of Vivilion or Roserade since I have no absorbers. Not exactly the hugest flaw in the world from my experiences, but at least something to note.

Conclusion:

So yeah, that’s the team. I’m more or less retiring it at this point since it's definitely served its purpose at this point (plus Hydreigon is about to be unbanned soon and I get buttfucked by that lol). Thanks for reading, feel free to rate / like / steal / whatever you please. Hope you enjoyed, and I'll see you guys next time!

Importable:
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SDef / 24 Spd
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 160 Spd / 96 HP
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Gunk Shot

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Destiny Bond

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SAtk / 128 Spd / 128 HP
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace
Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-108307602 against Mazz, pretty much a rematch on the ladder since we're using the same teams we used in the minitour n_n
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-110720232 against Kitten Milk, really great game that comes down to the wire

Last edited:
What a (BAN ME PLEASE) team ew. But seriously how do you even deal with flying types. CB Bat (any flying type really) literally buttfucks you to hell and back. CM Slowbro also penis fucks you hard. Outside of that this team is s00per awesome, and is one of the best UU teams cause ILY DAT BLAST <33. Also you are super ground weak, with 3 Weaknesses and not a single resistance, making you take serious pressure from any relavant ground type threat, such as Scarf Krookodile or LO Nidos.

I am going to make a couple of suggestions. Firstly, to deal with the ground types I mentioned, I highly reccomend using Stallbreaker Crobat over Mew, because they literally do the same thing, but a ground immunity, higher speed, and yet maintenance of a great fighting resist is what puts it apart. It also can control hazards for your team still through defog, and can put in hurt when necessary.

The next thign I want to suggest to deal with Flying Types as well as slightly lower the pressure of bulky sweepers is to run Calm Mind Jirachi (Offensive CM or SubCM both work) over Toxicroak. Both pave the way for your Houndoom, but Rachi stays around a lot longer, can sponge the flying type hits you had issues with, and can setup alongside the sweepers you stated earlier were an issue such as Slowbro, easing a lot of pressure off of your team. It also becomes an alternative Psychic check, which your team occasionally has issues with, basically checking every psychic type in the current metagame.

Minor Changes:
Nidoqueen: 156 Speed to outspeed common threats such as Roserade and Xatu, Ice Beam > Thunderbolt or else Flygon and shit like that is mean.
Mienshao: Stone Edge > Aerial Ace, since I gave you crobat, which completely wrecks Heracross

You always make good teams Dat Blast <33...........But ur still f3g. Hope u still love me.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 176 HP / 192 Atk / 4 SDef / 136 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog / Taunt
- Toxic / U-Turn

Jirachi @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spd or 4 Def / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Psyshock / Flash Cannon
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt / Grass Knot
- Substitute / Hidden Power [Fire]

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
>is wrecked by malamar (but that's just counterteaming)

I like your team a lot. I noticed you like nidoqueen as you suggest a lot and use it here.

One thing I noticed about nidoqueen, if it dies, you are left with no checks to mega ampharos. Actually, your team bar nido is weak to electrics in general. But seriously, watch out for raikou and jolteon.

Not many issues. Nice job man.

Dat blast doe...

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What a (BAN ME PLEASE) team ew. But seriously how do you even deal with flying types. CB Bat (any flying type really) literally buttfucks you to hell and back. CM Slowbro also penis fucks you hard. Outside of that this team is s00per awesome, and is one of the best UU teams cause ILY DAT BLAST <33. Also you are super ground weak, with 3 Weaknesses and not a single resistance, making you take serious pressure from any relavant ground type threat, such as Scarf Krookodile or LO Nidos.

I am going to make a couple of suggestions. Firstly, to deal with the ground types I mentioned, I highly reccomend using Stallbreaker Crobat over Mew, because they literally do the same thing, but a ground immunity, higher speed, and yet maintenance of a great fighting resist is what puts it apart. It also can control hazards for your team still through defog, and can put in hurt when necessary.

The next thign I want to suggest to deal with Flying Types as well as slightly lower the pressure of bulky sweepers is to run Calm Mind Jirachi (Offensive CM or SubCM both work) over Toxicroak. Both pave the way for your Houndoom, but Rachi stays around a lot longer, can sponge the flying type hits you had issues with, and can setup alongside the sweepers you stated earlier were an issue such as Slowbro, easing a lot of pressure off of your team. It also becomes an alternative Psychic check, which your team occasionally has issues with, basically checking every psychic type in the current metagame.

Minor Changes:
Nidoqueen: 156 Speed to outspeed common threats such as Roserade and Xatu, Ice Beam > Thunderbolt or else Flygon and shit like that is mean.
Mienshao: Stone Edge > Aerial Ace, since I gave you crobat, which completely wrecks Heracross

You always make good teams Dat Blast <33...........But ur still f3g. Hope u still love me.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 176 HP / 192 Atk / 4 SDef / 136 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog / Taunt
- Toxic / U-Turn

Jirachi @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spd or 4 Def / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Psyshock / Flash Cannon
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt / Grass Knot
- Substitute / Hidden Power [Fire]
Tbh I think Crobat would hurt the team more than help it. If I run Crobat then I become way too weak to Electric-types, since my only check would be Nidoqueen which is easy to wear down, so that’s a no unfortunately :[. Jirachi sounds interesting though, and I’ll probably try that but not over Toxicroak. Toxicroak is my main (and more or less my only) check to Mega Blastoise, and if I get rid of that then it’ll pretty much run over me. Might try it over Houndoom though and use some other Mega over something else, ty for input bb <3

Oh yeah and I'll definitely make the EV spread change on Queen + Ice Beam, though I'm keeping Aerial Ace on Shao since I'm not using Crobat.
>is wrecked by malamar (but that's just counterteaming)

I like your team a lot. I noticed you like nidoqueen as you suggest a lot and use it here.

One thing I noticed about nidoqueen, if it dies, you are left with no checks to mega ampharos. Actually, your team bar nido is weak to electrics in general. But seriously, watch out for raikou and jolteon.

Not many issues. Nice job man.

Dat blast doe...
I've never really found Malamar an issue just because it's not that great of a Pokémon due to its rather low stats and predictability, though maybe that's just me. As for the Electric-types, Mew checks them pretty well if Nidoqueen dies, though obviously it can't stop them from Volt Switching out it still forces them to switch and take more hazard damage.

Also it's not really that I like Nidoqueen ~that~ much (I do like it, but it's not like my favorite mon to use or w/e lol), it's just that it's really useful in the current meta imo. And thanks.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Tbh I think Crobat would hurt the team more than help it. If I run Crobat then I become way too weak to Electric-types, since my only check would be Nidoqueen which is easy to wear down, so that’s a no unfortunately :[. Jirachi sounds interesting though, and I’ll probably try that but not over Toxicroak. Toxicroak is my main (and more or less my only) check to Mega Blastoise, and if I get rid of that then it’ll pretty much run over me. Might try it over Houndoom though and use some other Mega over something else, ty for input bb <3

Oh yeah and I'll definitely make the EV spread change on Queen + Ice Beam, though I'm keeping Aerial Ace on Shao since I'm not using Crobat.

I've never really found Malamar an issue just because it's not that great of a Pokémon due to its rather low stats and predictability, though maybe that's just me. As for the Electric-types, Mew checks them pretty well if Nidoqueen dies, though obviously it can't stop them from Volt Switching out it still forces them to switch and take more hazard damage.

Also it's not really that I like Nidoqueen ~that~ much (I do like it, but it's not like my favorite mon to use or w/e lol), it's just that it's really useful in the current meta imo. And thanks.
I was just joking as malamar is super effective against your team between superpower night slash and psycho cut.

You do seem to suggest nidoqueen everywhere though. You are correct, it is very good in the meta.

Also, watch out because I'm going to start running signal beam on m manectric. It is really antimeta and can do some nice damage to a lot of threats.

Still though, very nice team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)