XY UU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water Pulse actually gives you a chance to beat Florges, whereas Scald is better in most other situations. With the heavy use of Aromatherapy/Heal Bell in this tier from Mew, Vaporeon, Umbreon, and Florges, I'm more scared when I see Water Pulse than when I see Scald tbh especially when M.Blastoise is more of a wallbreaker (and confusion will break those walls much better than burn)

Remember, pulse gets STAB and Mega Launcher boost so it would be 60*1.5*1.3 + confusion so, it is a better surf, and is comparable to hydro pump in better accuracy, but slightly less powerful. So, it is pretty viable.

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
1000th post on this thread!!!!!
Anyway, wouldn't you want Water Pulse instead of scald if you are going for a reliable water STAB that nukes stuff? Idk, the burn may be be more important than I thought.
Factoring STAB and MB, water pulse is only 15 more power than scald and iirc it doesn't really net any notable KOs

I personally think Mega-Blastoise should go to A rank no lower than A-. He has an amazing set of moves, and is by far the best spinner in the teir since he has the ability to slaughter ghosts. I have had alot of success on the ladder with a Physically defensive mega blastoise (sorta like last gen but with more of a punch) He gained some great bulk while in mega, and still does quite a bit of dammage with his moves, all he needed was wish support (Unless you opt for rest talk ofc.) I used him on a spikes stacking semistall team where defog really wasn't an option. This is where he shines bulky or not. He can most of the time reliably spin, or just nuke something due to its wonderful ability. He is a good pokemon, just not one to throw onto every team like a suicune. For that he seems like a really good A rank candidate.

For those wondering heres that Blastoise set.
Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Roar/ Toxic/ Protect
I'd run zero attack ivs as well just for lower foul play damage but thats just a nitpick.

Scald is the only thing you should be using as stab as the burn will pressure florges into wasting aromatherapies while dealing nice chip damage. Water Pulse chance of causing confusion and of the confusion itself working is just too low.

Scald is the only thing you should be using as stab as the burn will pressure florges into wasting aromatherapies while dealing nice chip damage. Water Pulse chance of causing confusion and of the confusion itself working is just too low.
Beating Florges is a big deal for a special wallbreaker, which just doesnt happen with scald... you can wear down her pp but shes still going to win. I would run Water Pulse over Scald tbh for that sole purpose (also hits slightly harder)

Blastoise doesn't beat Florges if it carries Water Pulse. If Florges gets extremely unlucky, you can hax it to death with confusion. But saying Mega Blastoise with Water Pulse beats Florges is like saying that Machamp beats Suicune.

Beating Florges is a big deal for a special wallbreaker, which just doesnt happen with scald... you can wear down her pp but shes still going to win. I would run Water Pulse over Scald tbh for that sole purpose (also hits slightly harder)
Water pulse secondary effects arent reliable as it relies on both a 20% chance to confuse plus a 50% chance of the opponent to hit itself, scald on the other hand has a consistent 30% chance of burning florges which will completely screw its momentum.

I'm not sure how Water Pulse beats Florges and Scald doesn't. They both don't do jack shit to it, and Scald has the advantage of getting the burn chance. (water pulse also hits 4 percent harder, which is practically nothing.)

edit: oh thanks ninja'd by two people

Ununhexium

is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Not picking a side but I thought water pulse had 30% chance to confuse. Either way, I agree with the general opinion that blastoose is around A+ rank while suocume.is S

Blastoise doesn't beat Florges if it carries Water Pulse. If Florges gets extremely unlucky, you can hax it to death with confusion. But saying Mega Blastoise with Water Pulse beats Florges is like saying that Machamp beats Suicune.
What I mean is that Florges is going to be switching into you at various points in the match- if you get the confuse then that Florges is under a fair amount of pressure as to whether to stay in, moreso if she isn't at full hp. Its not like you can switch into Florges and just straight up beat her, but the confusion chance makes life more difficult and gives you a chance of winning vs her/forcing her out, which scald can't do whatsoever.
You can't rely on hax and scald is fine too, but the confusion chance on water pulse isnt worthless

Last edited:
It's 12.5% stronger. (where did you get 4?)

Hydro Pump is useful occasionally, but the most important thing about Blastoise is the boosted coverage moves
ah, i was using the shitty spread (252/252+ calm), sorry about that lel.

Yeah, Hydro is good, but sometimes the miss chance costs games so it's usually not worth it.

Ununhexium

BACK TO THE TPOIC blastoise can thrash spinblockers and spin on the entire tier. Its main flaw is that it is either just not bulky enough or not powerful enough. Also, it has no recovery outside of rest and I'm not exactly sure how viable restalk blastoise is. I like A+ rank for him.

Suicune can sweep any team lacking a phazer or water absorber. The problem is, it is completely cockblocked by toxicroak vaporeon etc. It can run an offensive calm mind or something like that, but it doesn't have the raw offense to really work, but it can boost into oblivion. Though it is against common opinion I believe A+ is the best for it, though I think S is also acceptable.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
People have been going on about CroCune for a while, but CM + 3 attacks Cune is still a thing, and is much harder for offensive responses to switch into, since they have to watch out for Ice Beam, Hidden Power Grass, or even Extrasensory. This makes it one of the better offensive Water-type sweepers of the tier, since Slowbro is too slow to outspeed anything and would face coverage issues since it must run Slack Off if using Calm Mind. Suicune has no right falling to A, and should be A+ at least.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
D Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who have a small niche in the current UU metagame, but have very noticable flaws that make them more trouble then their worth the majority of the time.
omg found the ultimate typo

Anyways, I wouldn't have pointed this out if there wasn't anything bugging me about it - How come is even in D rank? What are their current niches in the UU metagame? Shedinja dies to many things, considering sandstorm damage (Hippowdown), hail damage (Mega Abomasnow), stealth rocks (also Hippowdown), toxic (EVERYTHING), and 5 different move typings (Sucker Punch...). It does have base 90 Attack and access to Swords Dance, but still. I understand D Rank is supposed to mean that they're near useless in whatever tier they're in, but I feel Shedinja just shouldn't have a rank at all. I predict Shedinja to be going further down in the tiers.

Here's a complete list of pokemon Shedinja does well against, and what he doesn't:

PRELIMINARY XY UU Ranking tier list V.1

S Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost ("free turns"). Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths.

(Flamethrower)
(Any move, since it learns anything)
(AV with Fire blast)
(Shedinja Walls)

A Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame, but require some support or have some flaws that prevents them from doing this consistently. Supporting Pokemon in this rank may give opponents free turns or cannot create free turns easily themselves, but can still do their job most of the time.

A+ Rank

(Dark Pulse)
(Flare Blitz)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Can set up SR, but can't do anything else)
(Stone edge)
(Sand Stream)
(Sucker Punch/Brave Bird)
(Stone Edge)
(Fire Blast)
(Foul Play)
(V-Create)
A Rank

(Sucker Punch)
(Stone Edge/Crunch)
(Fire Blast)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Overheat)
(Pursuit is seen commonly, but not always. Either way, Metagross learns Stealth Rock)
(Fire Blast)
(Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse)
(Potentially Shadow Ball, but Shedinja can wall if Trick Room + Calm Mind + Psyshock + Focus Blast is used)
(Hidden Power Fire)
(Crunch)
(Sometimes Air Slash)
A- Rank

(Head Smash)
(Power Gem)
(Flare Blitz)
(Flamethrower)
(Shedinja Walls, except for Hidden Power Fire, which is more usually seen instead with Ice)
(Rock Blast)
(Brave Bird)
(Pursuit is almost never seen, so Shedinja Walls)
(Fire Blast or Stone Edge)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Foul Play)
(Stone Edge)
(Shadow Ball)
(Overheat)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Crunch)
(Shedinja Walls, and is a Spinblocker)
(Sucker Punch)
(Hurricane)

B Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given offensive/defensive niche. Support Pokemon in this category have flaws that prevent them from doing their job or are setup bait for dangerous sweepers. Pokemon who are partially outperformed by a Pokemon in A or S Rank, but are otherwise very dangerous, may also fall into this category.
B+ Rank

(Shedinja Walls)
(Spiky Sheild)
(Stone Edge)
(Transform + Choice Scarf)
(Stone Edge)
(Shadow Sneak)
(Crunch)
(Rock Slide)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Sacred Fire)
(Destiny Bond/Shadow Ball)
(Toxic)
(Leech Seed/Ghost STAB)
(Shadow Ball/WoW)
(Knock Off/Stone Edge)
(Shadow Ball)
(Flamethrower)
(WoW/Foul Play)
(Leech Seed)
(Shedinja Walls)
(WoW/Shadow Claw)
(Shedinja Walls)
B Rank

(Hail)
(Stone Edge/Crunch)
(Foul Play)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Shedinja Walls)
(WoW)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Toxic)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Psycho Boost + Flame Orb)
(Fire Blast Occasionally)
(Stealth Rock + Roar)
(Hurricane)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Air Slash)
(Dark STAB)
B- Rank

(Toxic)
(Stone Edge)
(Hurricane)
(Sucker Punch)
(Brave Bird)
(Sucker Punch)
(Shadow Ball)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Sucker Punch)
(Fire Blast)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Dark Pulse)
(Sucker Punch)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Toxic, or Shedinja Walls)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Toxic)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Stone Edge)
(Crunch)
(Shedinja Walls)
(If running Rock Tomb, else Shedinja Walls)
(Flamethrower)
(Crunch)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Usually runs Screens Pivot with only U-Turn, but can wall with a Flying STAB)

C Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who can be effective given the right support, but either have crippling flaws that prevent them from consistently executing their strategy or are completely eclipsed by a Pokemon in the above ranks.
C+ Rank

(Shedinja Walls)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Crunch)
(Leech Seed)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Hidden Power Rock)
(Dark STAB)
(Shadow Ball)
(Stealth Rocks, or Stone Edge)
(Shedinja Walls)
(Head Smash)
(Flamethrower)
C Rank

(Stone Edge)
(Heat Wave)
(Rock Blast)
(Dark Pulse)
(Flamethrower)
(Crunch)
(Shadow Sneak)
(Sucker Punch)
(Shadow Ball)
(Foul Play)
(Fire STAB)
(Ancient Power)
(Shedinja Walls)
(WoW/Ghost STAB)
(Leech Seed)
C- Rank

(Toxic)

D Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who have a small niche in the current UU metagame, but have very noticable flaws that make them more trouble then their worth the majority of the time.

(WoW)
(Fire Punch)

As unnecessary as this was, I had to prove Shedinja shouldn't even get a mention in UU. Shedinja walls 33 pokemon on this list potentially, but otherwise should not have a mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)