2014 April Friendly

The ratings are up on the PGL.

I had a final total of 1757, and placed 208th, 85th in the US.

Considering I was just outside of the top 1000 in the Beta, I am very happy with my improvement!

How did everyone else do?

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Proof I was at the tour.
At the button "My ranking" I keep pressing that and nothing happens. My name is not in the ranking.

Last edited:

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Antar spoils us so much, I wish Nintendo provided us with weighted usage statistics....

Several notable Pokemon at high ratings, such as Ferrothorn, Mawile, and Rotom-H (presumably, Rotom's place is Rotom-W only given that it records 99.4% of Rotoms using Hydro Pump), are missing from the top 12 overall. I can understand why Kanga is at #6 - not everyone is going to run the same Megas. Greninja at #2 pretty ridiculous, I mean I did see it a lot but as mentioned before, I don't understand the craze behind it. It's fragile, weak to common threats, and there are faster and stronger revengers available.

Strangely, I did not see a single Charizard Y throughout the tournament but as mentioned, the Charizard usage quite surprised me and Charizard X was an absolute monster to face. I wonder if this will cause a shift in the Battle Spot meta as people realize that Charizard X is a boss and Charizard Y is more appropriate as support.

Apparently I was one of the 9.7% of people who did not run Geomancy on Xern while Specs was run 0.7% of the time.....lol. A lot of sets that were used often according to the stats, such as PuP Kanga and SD Aegi, were almost never seen in higher ratings.

These are just my impressions, I may post more on the topic.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Nintendo completely trolled me... It looks I was at the tour but I can't see my ranking... anyone with the same problem?

I finished 1753, but I only had 28 battles total lol. My team was;

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Adamant, Rough Skin
252atk/4def/252spd
Outrage
Earthquake
Rock Tomb
Iron Head
-Easily my MVP, no one seemed to expect a scarfed chomp to hit as hard as this adamant one did. I just smashed mega khan in the face, and by the time it hit me back and suffered from rough skin, it was more or less done. Outspeeding and OHKO'ing the strangely popular Greninja was fun too.

Rotom W @ Rocky Helmet
Bold
252hp/252def/4spdef
Will O Wisp
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Hydro Pump
-Good ol' Rotom, not much to say. My second most useful pokemon this tournament.

Ferrothorn @ Lum Berry
Sassy, 0 spd iv
252hp/4def/252spdef
Gyro Ball
Power Whip
Leech Seed
Stealth Rock
-Used this guy for the first time ever this tournament, and loved it. Laughed at Xerneas, who could only threaten it with focus miss.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Adamant
252atk/4def/252spd
Brave Bird
Will O Wisp
Tailwind
Flare Blitz
-um, yep.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Adamant
4hp/252atk/252spd
Return
Earthquake
Sucker Punch
Crunch
-Crunch was useless, I was just worried about the grass/ghosts.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Adamant, Intimidate
252atk/4def/252spd
Play Rough
Fire Fang
Brick Break
Sucker Punch
-Did well, but I hardly used it, chose khan more often. If I had the time to do more battles I'm sure I would have used it more.

This was the first online competition I've ever been in, I enjoyed it, but I had so few battles I don't think my score really means much. Hopefully I get more time to myself next time.

Congratulations Ying for winning the tournament!

Overall, I am happy that I got to the top 10 in the tournament and #2 in the US. Will the results be posted on the Smogon Battlespot leaderboard?

1722, not bad. Definitely got room to improve as I learn more about 3v3. I was a little surprised at Aegislash being #3, since I don't believe I saw more than 2 or 3 in my 61 battles.

And congrats to all the top 10 players!!

Don't mind me in 1302nd out of 1620..
But seriously, I had fun with the competition, and I'm pleased to hear other Smogoners did so well, so congratulations, everyone.

We thought that much but don't understand the appeal behind Greninja. Why do people like it so much? It cannot check Mewtwos properly because they have access to Aura Sphere and it is setup bait for Xerneases (duh). It may have something to do with our team being Xerneas-centric but can someone explain why Greninja is good or at least popular? Maybe we are missing something.

There were a total of six Jumpluffs in the tournament, one in Junior and five in Master. Amusing.

Last edited:
I'm shocked to see Greninja so high. Most of the 1700+ people I saw didn't use it and it was generally dead weight at that level. I think the stats were somewhat weighted, but they took all battles (why Greninja was so high). Talonflame on the other hand, deserves all the mention and credit. It's pretty broken with that Gale Wings ability.

Damn you Focus Miss for costing me more ranking! Ended up with 1760. Placed 192'nd.

Also, the loss of points at the top of the ladder is horrific! You pretty much couldn't lose if you were over 1700, I lost 22 ranking points to a 1707, and that's why I threw in the towel at that point. I felt it would be better to place than move on and risk everything.

Overall trends:

1. Yveltal works better as a staller with Assault Vest. Life Orb variants just aren't that strong, and it showed in the rankings and usage. I think it's going to become a "smart uber" rather than a "used uber".
2. Special Attacking Aegislash is just awesome. I had no counter to it all tournament and it kinda made mincemeat out of me. You didn't see it at the bottom of the ladder very much though.
3. I love you Talonflame, though you are a broken piece of shit. :)
4. Lead Kangaskhan worked as a great Mewtwo/lead Xerneas counter. 99% of those died without landing a hit.
5. I mostly play Doubles (and to some degree Rotations), so my general strategy is to build more around combos than prediction. The prediction at high levels is a skill for rather high intellectual/IQ people, and I feel to some degree this is a bit of a turnoff to Single Battle compared to Doubles. It was getting maddening in some spots. "Do you play the odds, or do you go against the grain?"
6. "Why did you run coverage Mewtwo over Aura Sphere Mewtwo? It doesn't make sense." Well, here's my take on it. Tyranitar most of the time throws Sand Stream, which means even with Aura Sphere you're not KO'ing it, so you need to switch out anyway to something that can handle Tyranitar. So I opted for more coverage with IB/Flamethrower/T-Bolt. It catches a lot of people on Passerby Battles by surprise and forces them to ragequit, and it worked pretty well here too for the most part. I only faced 2 Tyranitar, and I didn't get into trouble either time. Also, if Bisharp doesn't have Sucker Punch, Flamethrower works just as nice.

Ciao

-James

5th overall, 1st in US. I guess I'm satisfied with that! Especially good to know that I wouldn't have gotten first even without my losing streak at the very end. Can't help but wonder if I would have done better if I didn't make some questionable moveset choices though since I ended up regretting at least one of the 4 moveslots/items on 5 of my 6 Pokemon.

Ended up 3rd overall, 2nd in Canada. Here's my team and the logic behind it:

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Adamant, Gale Wings
4HP/ 252Attk/ 252 Sp
Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
U-turn
Sleep Talk
Everyone already knows Talonflame is a good pokemon. Most battles was just trying to get everything down to a manageable HP so that talonflame could clean up. And one piece of advice that seemed to win me a ton of battles - use brave bird on M-Mawile, as it will try to sucker punch you every time and can't hit you otherwise. And a choice banded BB still does ~25%, so its good for revenge killing it if its around half.

Yveltal Life Orb
Lonely, Dark Aura
80Atk/ 172 SpA/ 252Sp
Oblivion Wing
Dark Pulse
Sucker Punch
Taunt
This was not the nature or spread I wanted but its the only yveltal I had, and let me tell ya, this was actually my mvp. Led off most battles and got around 90% usage from me. Could take any one hit, then got most of its hp back with a life orb OW. Plus it OKHO'd any Aegislash I faced with a dark pulse, or made sure to leave a hefty dent before it died with a sucker punch. I had no idea how valuable this guy would be, but he came through.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Timid, Fairy Aura
80HP/ 172 SpA/ 252 Speed
Moonblast
Tbolt
Psyshock
Geomancy
Not much to explain here. With a chance to set up, it was sweeping time. I was fortunate to get a Timid Xerneas with max speed IVs, so I maxed them out to outspeed other xerneas and get the jump on them. I went with psyshock, which was weirdly not used often, for pokemon like M venasaur.

Rotom H @ Sitrus Berry
Modest, Levitate
252 HP, 200 Def, 48 SpA, 4 Spe
Overheat
Volt Switch
WoW
Light Screen
Way underused IMO. He deals nicely with Xerneas and Yveltal, counters M-Mawile, Scizor, Talonflame and (most) Charzaird Y, does work on Aegislash. Just a great choice in this specific tournament.

Mawile @ Mega
Adamant, Intimidate
252 HP/ 180 Atk/ 60 SpD/ 16 Spe
Play Rough
Iron Head
Sucker Punch
Sub
The legendary Counter. The extra Sp.D investment was to take hits from the legendaries and could OKHO them with a stab or super effective move. Intimidate forces lots of switches which makes Sub a boon for ease of prediction (and forcing rotoms into attack moves). The 16 speed to outspeed other mawile, naturally.

Scizor Focus sash
Adament, Technician
252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Spe
U-turn
BP
Aerial Ace
Sleep Talk
This guy was deadweight and only saw about 5% usage from me. I originally wanted a mewtwo counter with pursuit, with the sash being a safeguard for flamethrower and I also wanted him for xerneas. Yet I also wanted ace/sleeptalk for the many sleep inducers. In the end, the only role he had was killing the (too many) vivillons and other sleep inducers. Not bad, but I think I would have been better served with a mewtwo with sub, a pokemon that i really wanted by the end.

My team was quite weak to M-Kang as it could fake-out and return/EQ KO my whole team, so Kang was always a team effort. I also lost to a few more gimmicky, luck-based strategies which is fine in a tournament of 80 games. I also got swept, 3-0 by an assault vest ryperior who set up with rock polish at one point, haha!

Three notes:
1) I don't understand people complaining about legendary pokemon. That was sort of the point of this tournament. If you don't want to see them, participate in another tournament! I for one relished the opportunity to finally use the guys that have been shelved all year, and I see nothing unfair in that because everyone had the choice to use them also.

2) I also found it funny how hard it was to gain points at the top of the ladder. I was at 1940 at one point, and lost to a guy with 1850 and lost 40 (!) points. I won five in a row to get back to 1940, then lost again and went back down to 1900. I also battled a guy with a 1450 rating and gained a total of 1 rating point. Why would they even make us battle, it was not a benefit to either player! Just found that funny.

3) Does anyone know if winners benefit from these types of tournaments? I did this for fun, but was curious if we got anything for placing, as I have not seen anything.

Anyways, thanks for reading. I had a lot of fun battling for 3 hours straight into the middle of the night for a couple days. I had a lot of good games against people here.

congrats ying! I ended in 78th :) not bad considering I finished the game one week before the tournament and only had that time to build the team

I don't really understand the Greninja hype train either. Protean is a cool ability, but after the "it gets STAB everything!!!" newness wears off, you're left with a paper-thin jack-of-all-trades that only lives for one turn... two if it's sashed.
Maybe it's the lure of "hey, I'm a Water type! Whoops! Now I'm a Ground type! Are you confused? Try to keep up!" that led lesser-experienced players to use him. Whatever the reason, he was #2 in Masters and #1 in Junior/Seniors. I used him on my in-game team and very early on in Battle Spot, but once I got the hang of breeding and building a competitive team, I found so many better tools to work with.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Finnaly get an answer from Nintendo. They said the ranking will be updated every four days... Their first answer was very poor and obvious; they stated I either didnt play enough matches or disconnected too much matches. I answered saying that I did play enough matches and got few losses with less than half of them being disconnects... Hopefully I can see my ranking :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)