Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now that these games have been announced, I'm seriously wondering if there will be a new area. I mean we haven't exactly seen any use for the Strange Souvenir item yet. I'm wondering what function it actually has now...

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rubbish. Even from the covers the games smack of pandering to nine year olds who just want more of the Pokemon we know and love to go super saiyan. And of course to the mental nine-year-olds on this forum who take stuff like competitive Pokemon far too seriously.
lol dude calm the fuck down. we're on a pokemon website. of course we're going to hype it. if you don't like it, get out.
I think it would be really cool if they nerfed weather in order to bring new abilities for Groudon/Kyogre that brought back permaweather only for them. . . Like, this whole time weather was nerfed so the weather legendaries could stand out. Who knows, though.
I seriously doubt that they would add any new ability (perma-weather ability) JUST for the sake of only letting Groudon and Kyogre having it. They wouldn't spend their time changing the game mechanics for two big abilities only to change them again for two Pokemon. It doesn't make any sense and is just a huge waste of time.

As for Mega pokemon... I would imagine that Sceptile and Swampert would receive them, as it wouldn't make much sense if they didn't. Everyone would just pick Torchic for Mega Blaziken... :( (I love you Blaziken, but I don't want you to be overused). I do not really want to many others though. Honestly, I feel like having to many kinda ruins stuff, as well as the specialty of a mega. If we have a large number, the are no longer unique and special.
Honestly, why is this? Mewtwo got a mega, so should Mew? I don't get why one starter getting a mega should mean that the rest should. It would be nice, but it doesn't "make sense" for the others to have them too. Tbh I'm going to pick Treecko because that's who I've always picked. It's just personal in the long run, IMO.

I'd like to see Mega Rayquaza also, but it might be just a fusion since you can see arrows from both Kyogre and Groudon to Rayquaza -> "Mega" Rayquaza which are slightly different from the "Mega Evolution arrows" of the Hoenn starters :(

Edit: I also don't see the katakana for mega

Last edited:
Anyone else think there's a strong possibility that we'll be seeing the Hidden Ability Pokemon from Kalos that ain't been released yet?
...huh. That does make me think how HAs will be incorporated into ORAS. I'm curious to see what method they'll use to allow us access to them in these remakes.

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I'm not a mod here, but please, don't post anything without a confirmed source. It's the same thing as writing a paper. You're not going to post something from Yahoo! Answers or something else sketchy, so why post something you are unsure about here?

So how do people feel the Champions will be handled? I feel that Steven may be booted out for good if this takes a more Emerald Spin (I love the 8th gym leader of that game Juan though, so I'm conflicted) but I'm hoping for it to be a double battle for variety's sake

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Okay, I'm not a mod here, but please, don't post anything without a confirmed source. It's the same thing as writing a paper. You're not going to post something from Yahoo! Answers or something else sketchy, so why post something you are unsure about here?
Just echoing this as an actual mod ;)

Please do NOT post anything which does not have a confirmed source. The images that are *already* circling are highly likely to be fake as Corocoro leaks are not expected until next week at the earliest (11th to the 15th). I (or the other mods) will be updating the OP with any Official information which comes from Nintendo (Or Corocoro) as soon as we get wind of it.

Also, please stop with the one line/one word replies... Replies like Redew's earlier ones and CobraRoll's are examples of good posts.

Honestly, why is this? Mewtwo got a mega, so should Mew? I don't get why one starter getting a mega should mean that the rest should. It would be nice, but it doesn't "make sense" for the others to have them too. Tbh I'm going to pick Treecko because that's who I've always picked. It's just personal in the long run, IMO.
In the case of legendaries, giving a bunch of them Mega evolutions would probably break the game or just make the game boring. People complaining about the new legendaries of each generation, will now be complaining about the new Mega evolutions of said legendaries. Can you imagine what Battle Spot in the game would look like, Mega Rayquazas or Mega Arceus everywhere. If this happens, reception of the game will probably be comparable to Digimon, giving creatures with already god-like appeal even more power.

I like the idea of giving the other two starters Mega evolutions. Blaziken got one out of sheer popularity, being the first Fire/Fighting poke and access to the game breaking Speed Boost. Similar reasons apply to how Greninja made it into the new SSB, and I have a seething hatred for both, being the one weirdo who picked Mudkip and Chespin among six friends who foamed at the mouth over Torchic and Froakie. I wouldn't call this reasoning biased, although it sure feels like it, but forgotten pokemon like Absol and Banette were blessed with Mega evolutions out of the blue so I guess Gamefreak made an attempt at randomizing (still, freaking Greninja in the new SSB, what the hell).

I'm really rooting for Swampert getting a Mega form; I don't care if it doesn't get Sap Sipper, it just needs to get rid of Damp. Mega Sceptile is okay with me too, just as long as he looks like a Velociraptor like everyone hoped for back then when they first saw Grovyle.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if they're going to the that thing they did in Soul Silver in which they keep the encounters exactly as they were in the original, pretty much locking off a good half of the Pokemon until after you beat the game. I didn't care for that much so I hope they don't do it this time around.
Though I swear if they do I'm totally going to make my own team in XY and transfer it to these games. I always wanted to beat a Pokemon game with guys like Porygon or Spiritomb.
Also, it's going to be interesting playing these games in a generation after the physical/special split happened.

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
You are right Redew. While I stand for my opinions, you make a good point (and use a good example). I guess they don't have too, and normally I wouldn't say that they would. The only reason I think that they probably will is because they are coming out with a Hoenn remake. If it wasn't a Hoenn remake, I wouldn't really think Sceptile and Swampert are getting megas. But you make a good point, and it has changed my view some. They don't have to and everything would still make sense if they don't. It wouldn't be confusing, so I contract my previous statement saying that it would "make sense."

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
I like the idea of giving the other two starters Mega evolutions. Blaziken got one out of sheer popularity, being the first Fire/Fighting poke and access to the game breaking Speed Boost. Similar reasons apply to how Greninja made it into the new SSB, and I have a seething hatred for both, being the one weirdo who picked Mudkip and Chespin among six friends who foamed at the mouth over Torchic and Froakie. I wouldn't call this reasoning biased, although it sure feels like it, but forgotten pokemon like Absol and Banette were blessed with Mega evolutions out of the blue so I guess Gamefreak made an attempt at randomizing (still, freaking Greninja in the new SSB, what the hell).
Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE for all of them to have a MEvo, as much as I dislike MEvos in the first place. I just don't see why they would, considering it doesn't seem integral to make all of them have a MEvo. I just can't see any logical reasoning besides maybe $$$ to give them a MEvo. Who knows? If you think there is one, I'd like to hear it!

I'm wondering if they're going to the that thing they did in Soul Silver in which they keep the encounters exactly as they were in the original, pretty much locking off a good half of the Pokemon until after you beat the game. I didn't care for that much so I hope they don't do it this time around.
Though I swear if they do I'm totally going to make my own team in XY and transfer it to these games. I always wanted to beat a Pokemon game with guys like Porygon or Spiritomb.
Also, it's going to be interesting playing these games in a generation after the physical/special split happened.
Imho that was something I loved. They only changed it a bit (some Pokemon you could get earlier than normal iirc), but it still kept the feel of the old game but with new graphics. I guess I wouldn't mind too much if they had some new ones, but the point of the main storyline (part of it, anyway) is to complete the Hoenn PokeDex while collecting gym badges. You can get the National Dex later on, and, of course, there will be new Pokemon during the post-game.
You are right Redew. While I stand for my opinions, you make a good point (and use a good example). I guess they don't have too, and normally I wouldn't say that they would. The only reason I think that they probably will is because they are coming out with a Hoenn remake. If it wasn't a Hoenn remake, I wouldn't really think Sceptile and Swampert are getting megas. But you make a good point, and it has changed my view some. They don't have to and everything would still make sense if they don't. It wouldn't be confusing, so I contract my previous statement saying that it would "make sense."
Hahaha, you're good! I don't think a remake will make them spontaneously give them MEvos, unless it's imperative to the main story line. Other than that, there's not really much to say they will get one (but, then again, there's nothing to say they won't!). Tbh I just think they wouldn't because it's the most likely reason.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Something that hasn't been brought up yet, but....what kind of development cycles is Gamefreak running on? I'm curious, not really complaining, but it makes you wonder if there are any features that are left by the wayside from the seemingly tight schedule (yes I am worried about Battle Frontier not making it in). I would assume the same team is working on all the main series games, but I never imagined them to be a super huge studio. There has been a main series game every year for the past eight years except for 2007 and 2011 (going by JPN release dates), which I suspect development for the subsequent generations began. Even so, it seems like they're working on a ton of things concurrently since Gamefreak isn't into the shitty rehash third version anymore and they have to create many new assets for each new game (compare HGSS to Platinum, BW2 to BW). It also seems that they are working to the wire because beta images taken mere months before the release may look very different from the final version, meaning that they are still actively working on the game close to release date. It feels like Gamefreak's development cycles for main series games are on similar timetables as expansions for other AAA games where most of the assets already exist.

Again, this is mainly out of curiosity and not accusing them of putting out a faulty product, or else I wouldn't be playing these games. I do give them a lot of credit, they seem to do a fine job packing in the features into every installment. In fact, I hope the staff isn't overworked....iirc Masuda had a form of writer's block (Pokeblock? appropriate pun!) in the development of XY. x_x

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
Something that hasn't been brought up yet, but....what kind of development cycles is Gamefreak running on? I'm curious, not really complaining, but it makes you wonder if there are any features that are left by the wayside from the seemingly tight schedule (yes I am worried about Battle Frontier not making it in). I would assume the same team is working on all the main series games, but I never imagined them to be a super huge studio. There has been a main series game every year for the past eight years except for 2007 and 2011 (going by JPN release dates), which I suspect development for the subsequent generations began. Even so, it seems like they're working on a ton of things concurrently since Gamefreak isn't into the shitty rehash third version anymore and they have to create many new assets for each new game (compare HGSS to Platinum, BW2 to BW). It also seems that they are working to the wire because beta images taken mere months before the release may look very different from the final version, meaning that they are still actively working on the game close to release date. It feels like Gamefreak's development cycles for main series games are on similar timetables as expansions for other AAA games where most of the assets already exist.

Again, this is mainly out of curiosity and not accusing them of putting out a faulty product, or else I wouldn't be playing these games. I do give them a lot of credit, they seem to do a fine job packing in the features into every installment. In fact, I hope the staff isn't overworked....iirc Masuda had a form of writer's block (Pokeblock? appropriate pun!) in the development of XY. x_x
See, I would think the same thing, but my obsession with Assassin's Creed helped me understand why companies do this. Assassin's Creed releases a new game every year. They're great games, so how can they do it that fast? Well, they've been in the works for a while now, and with XY, they could take those mechanics and graphics and just put everything into what it needs to be to be Hoenn. It is kinda sped up that way I think.

TL;DR, they work on it long before they announce it iirc.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
See, I would think the same thing, but my obsession with Assassin's Creed helped me understand why companies do this. Assassin's Creed releases a new game every year. They're great games, so how can they do it that fast? Well, they've been in the works for a while now, and with XY, they could take those mechanics and graphics and just put everything into what it needs to be to be Hoenn. It is kinda sped up that way I think.

TL;DR, they work on it long before they announce it iirc.
Indeed, but consider the following points:
a) X & Y have been in development since mid-last year, when the beta elements were finalized (source: pre-release material that looks different from final release). This means that they couldn't focus on AR/OS until then. Assuming that they have been in development since 2010/2011, they had to be working on BW2 at the same time because they work pretty much right up to release date.
b) they could use those mechanics and graphics, but they still have to recreate an entire region. Fortree, Sootopolis, and Mt. Chimney/Pyre are all examples of things that don't look anything like what was in XY and have to be created from scratch almost. They don't have to worry about sprites and move animations, but there is still a colossal amount of work to be done.
c) Add in "new" mechanics like contests, secret bases, and an updated Safari Zone (Friend Safari was a wonderful idea but I'd like another legit Safari Zone).

Even if they've been working on these games since 2010/2011, they have a lot on their table. I think it has a lot to do with skill, it's incredible what they accomplish with their tight schedule.

Last edited:

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
All true, but they have different teams working on it, I assume. I don't think they'd give one team at a time to work on something. It is more efficient to have multiple people work on multiple games than have one team work on multiple games.

If I misunderstood you then let me know! Sorry if I did!! :(

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What I like about this is the multitude of improved Pokemon in ORAS compared to RSE. For example, the Breloom now is going to be much better to use for the story compared to his past self, since he can use physical Grass-type moves now, and possibly Technician depending on how Game Freak addresses hidden abilities for ORAS. Same thing with Gardevoir, who always had a slim-ish movepool, usually just having Psychic and Thunderbolt, but now has special Shadow Ball, as well as a Fairy typing and Moonblast. But my favorite buffed Pokemon is Azumarill, who just screams broken with Huge Power, physical STABs, and Fairy typing. Playing through the game is going to feel so good.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The most worrying aspect of our tight schedule discussion is how we have yet to see anything. From past experience the less we see of a product, the more likely it will be delayed.

(Donkey Kong TF and Twilight Princess at least had footage)

But maybe Nintendo just wants more Christmas $$$ who knows?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
All true, but they have different teams working on it, I assume. I don't think they'd give one team at a time to work on something. It is more efficient to have multiple people work on multiple games than have one team work on multiple games.

If I misunderstood you then let me know! Sorry if I did!! :(
My bad if my posts are too rambling and confusing, but you understood my point perfectly :)

I haven't really gone through the staff rolls, but I do know that Gamefreak is not a large studio (according to Wikipedia, they have 73 employees) and the main people (Masuda, Sugimori, Morimoto, etc) have appeared on the credits for every game. There is reason to doubt all 73 of those people are actually game designers for Pokemon seeing how they have to have accountants, asset management, side projects, etc as they are an independent entity from Nintendo. Maybe they do have different teams, but the notable people are juggling a shitton of projects. Here's another article on how Gamefreak actually expanded for the development of XY, probably mostly for developing 3D models.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
Well, from a coding standpoint, I remember Mat/Bond697 going through the code of BW/BW2, and commenting on how just from the code, it appeared they had two different teams working on it. They had the main coders do important stuff, then the less experienced coders take care of the lesser things. So I imagine they'd probably have a similar system for other elements of the game.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I mean, they already have a lot of the game figured out really. Yes it's a huge visual update, but they have a giant starting block.
I'd say a big part too is how much they plan on reworking, while FR/LG were rather plain remakes with help features and islands, HG/SS had a huge list of new features and areas such as:
-New Johto Routes
-New Safari Mechanic
-Following Pokemon
-Reworked postgame level balance
-Re-added Pewter Museum
-Re-added Cerulean Cave
-Re-added Viridian Forest
-New Radio features
-Expanded Seafoam Islands
-Larger plot sections (murkrow catching, Rocket disguise)

I was never a fan of G/S but HG/SS blew a lot of it out of the water with the fantastic additions it made. If OR/AS goes the same route then we should be in for a treat. I really hope they add a few things like the Emerald Magma base, if Emerald Battle Frontier doesn't make it there must be riots.

I'm pretty sure when a product gets as successful as Pokemon, they are working on multiple sequels at the same time. It wouldn't surprise me if they started working on the RS remakes at the same time as XY and just focused mostly on XY at first. I read somewhere that Playstation already had preliminary designs for PS6 before PS4 was released. Especially with gen 3 remakes not clashing with XY lore-wise or anything for the most part, XY wouldn't have to be completed for them to start development.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Well, from a coding standpoint, I remember Mat/Bond697 going through the code of BW/BW2, and commenting on how just from the code, it appeared they had two different teams working on it. They had the main coders do important stuff, then the less experienced coders take care of the lesser things. So I imagine they'd probably have a similar system for other elements of the game.
That makes sense in light of the article I posted, where Watanabe and Sugimori reference a lot of younger staff members feeling like the Pokemon games weren't "theirs" and letting them brainstorm side projects.

if Emerald Battle Frontier doesn't make it there must be riots.
Battle Factory gen 6 - teaching a new generation of younglings what true fear means. Jesus, every facility will just become insane with the ridiculous shit that has been introduced in the two generation gap since having a proper Battle Frontier. I preferred the Emerald facilities to the Plat/HGSS ones because they actually had insane funhouse-style mechanics where you can't spam Mence or Chomp / Registeel or Latias / another pseudo legendary or legendary filler to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)