Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Contest Halls appearing where the battle tents were, I wonder how this bodes for the Battle Frontier? It's scary to have this doubt that it might not be there. I'm hoping it is post-game and they're just waiting until close to release day to announce it. My favorite venue was the one where you rented your pokemon. It introduced me to some pokemon I never thought I'd use and had some fun movesets to play around with.

Also, the Frontier Brain theme is one of the best themes in pokemon...
It should since HG/SS despite being a gs remake has eusine in the story, so there's still a chance. If all else fails, it's going to keep maison.

With Contest Halls appearing where the battle tents were, I wonder how this bodes for the Battle Frontier? It's scary to have this doubt that it might not be there. I'm hoping it is post-game and they're just waiting until close to release day to announce it. My favorite venue was the one where you rented your pokemon. It introduced me to some pokemon I never thought I'd use and had some fun movesets to play around with.

Also, the Frontier Brain theme is one of the best themes in pokemon...
I have the Frontier Brain and the Contest Themes stuck on my head... Actually most RSE music is stuck on my head. Hopefully the remakes of all those themes are even better, or at least we get something such as the GB Sounds (I think that's how it's called, it's a thing to listen to the old-school GB sounds of GSC)

It should since HG/SS despite being a gs remake has eusine in the story, so there's still a chance. If all else fails, it's going to keep maison.
That's what I'm thinking. Some elements of the 3rd game make it into the remakes. It's one of the big things many fans want to see return so the wait for any confirmation is killing me.

That's what I'm thinking. Some elements of the 3rd game make it into the remakes. It's one of the big things many fans want to see return so the wait for any confirmation is killing me.
The hype is indeed scary. By looking at HG/SS they made a lot of things nostalgic, such as KingHeracross' mentioning GB sounds, or even something that wasn't even expected such as say the arrival of Pokemon Yellow's pokemon following you feature, we'll never really know what we will get.

The hype is indeed scary. By looking at HG/SS they made a lot of things nostalgic, such as KingHeracross' mentioning GB sounds, or even something that wasn't even expected such as say the arrival of Pokemon Yellow's pokemon following you feature, we'll never really know what we will get.
A GBA sounds would be a cool easter egg to find in-game. Would be awesome to combine it with wifi battles if the ability to change tracks before the match stays a thing.

I never did beat the battle frontier brains. I remember getting my butt whooped all the time. Heck, I didn't even know there were Brains because I never got to them. The frontier returning would let me finally have a chance to reach them and challenge them.

A GBA sounds would be a cool easter egg to find in-game. Would be awesome to combine it with wifi battles if the ability to change tracks before the match stays a thing.

I never did beat the battle frontier brains. I remember getting my butt whooped all the time. Heck, I didn't even know there were Brains because I never got to them. The frontier returning would let me finally have a chance to reach them and challenge them.
Or a feature that would let you change the title screen theme to the RSE one if you accidentally saved your game with GBA sounds on.

Return of frontier would be a very satisfying revenge for you then. I think the pokemon in frontier have flawless IVs too, which explains why they are quite bulky, especially if you haven't bred for 31 atk/spatk on your team with 252 evs added for the corresponding stat/set.

How many Corocoro issues are left between now and release? 3? Seems like they could easily dedicate 1 more to Mega evolution, a second issue to battle frontier, and the final issue to gameplay elements like the storyline and remaining gym leaders/E4.

Reactions: PME
The RSE Elite Four theme would like a word with you.
Ahem, you spelled R/S/E Gym Leader them incorrectly. When it comes to R/S/E, even the wild battle theme pumps me up.

Or a feature that would let you change the title screen theme to the RSE one if you accidentally saved your game with GBA sounds on.

Return of frontier would be a very satisfying revenge for you then. I think the pokemon in frontier have flawless IVs too, which explains why they are quite bulky, especially if you haven't bred for 31 atk/spatk on your team with 252 evs added for the corresponding stat/set.
True that. I think the only venue I never attempted was the Battle Pyramid.

It's just me or slapping a mega-evo in something which currently NEEDS an evo (audino, sableye, mawile) its feels really stupid?

An How about slowking? I mean, really someone its gonna used him now wit this? I don't know, currently the "mega-evolution" concept its cool aplicated in pokemon really strong or in a 3rd stage because its feels like one upgrade with interesting limitations (no item for not be broken, not HP increased and you can only have one in your team) but slapping in a thing like audino, sableye or banette... Just no.

An what about slowking... Anyone its gonna used him after this?

Really, anything its gonna a evolve in the regular way (except eevee... maybe) never more? I jus't don't feel right that evolution is replaced forever by the mega-evolution.
I think the entire reason Megas exist is due to the backlash against the Gen 4 evos to older Pokemon. They're trying to avoid that, so we likely won't see any more actual evos besides Eevee.

I think the entire reason Megas exist is due to the backlash against the Gen 4 evos to older Pokemon. They're trying to avoid that, so we likely won't see any more actual evos besides Eevee.
This. Plus, honestly, it's a MUCH better system because the one-per-team limit means they can create a boatload of powerful new mons without the game suffering as harshly from power creep.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Is it premature to discuss the likelihood of mega salamence's uber status? I mean, with its current attack and aerilate, it's already as strong as Mega Charizard X with Double Edge, or much stronger than any no-drawback attack Charizard X has with Return. It has the coverage and stats to easily plow through any would be counter, intimidate and a massive defensive boost will make it exceedingly easy to set up. It's less weak to stealth rock compared to Charizard, and probably going to become faster too. Granted Zard's typing is overall better, and its Dragon attacks are stronger, Salamence still would appear to be much stronger, and X-zard sits prettily in the S-rank.

What backlash? lol I can't recall anyone saying that they were upset that Togekiss or Mamoswine were evolutions of old and useless pokemon.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Only a handful of people on the internet complained.

And they made Megas because they actually wanted four-stage evolutions (!) but THANKFULLY realized that wouldn't work quite right.

Is it premature to discuss the likelihood of mega salamence's uber status? I mean, with its current attack and aerilate, it's already as strong as Mega Charizard X with Double Edge, or much stronger than any no-drawback attack Charizard X has with Return. It has the coverage and stats to easily plow through any would be counter, intimidate and a massive defensive boost will make it exceedingly easy to set up. It's less weak to stealth rock compared to Charizard, and probably going to become faster too. Granted Zard's typing is overall better, and its Dragon attacks are stronger, Salamence still would appear to be much stronger, and X-zard sits prettily in the S-rank.
I think it's premature. Aerialate is a scary prospect on Salamence, but it has far more weaknesses (and more severe weaknesses) than Zard X and its dual STAB is less complimentary. We also don't know what other stats are going to be raised (or potentially lowered).

Too early to say. For sure. Besides getting better Flying STAB that it will now use, it's coverage and general attacking types on it's Dancing Sets won't changed much I imagine. Dragon/Flying/Ground or Dragon/Flying/Fire with probable mixed sets and things. Life Orb is a 30% boost, a multiplier, so the higher your base stats are before you go mega the more base stat upgrade you need to avoid being one of those megas that get's out damaged by life orb itself. Like if your base atk is 100 then mega you needs +30 to keep up with life orb you. at +40 M-Salamence would be base 175 while Life Orb Salamence would be effective base 175.5 .....lol. And considering Salamence is getting it's biggest boost in def I question if it'll even get +40 (probably not) so while it's not gonna be taking Life Orb recoil it's raw power levels aren't gonna be some unheard of things that OU can't handle. And no matter what it's gonna be operating at base 100 speed the first time it comes out so it'll never be like OH GOD SALAMENCE THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO!!! It's also a set up speed boosting sweeper without priority in a game that is power creeping more and more towards just always operating in the +1 priority tier. (exaggerations I know, and obviously it's not like Charizard X has priority so it's not a requirement to wreck things but it is another reason I kind of doubt there will be a break)

My expectation for now is that Salamence will be welcomed as an alternative to Charizard X that makes your opponent regret trying to use M-Venusaur as the center of their defensive core. But even if it's just more powerful, faster, hella scary and aggressive and sets up easier, its x4 weakness, dependance on imperfect coverage moves, and lack of priority means they probably won't be able to break it with just one more powerful STAB attack and some 100 extra BST (which hasn't really broken any other pseudo legendaries... yet...)

Last edited:
I think it's premature. Aerialate is a scary prospect on Salamence, but it has far more weaknesses (and more severe weaknesses) than Zard X and its dual STAB is less complimentary. We also don't know what other stats are going to be raised (or potentially lowered).
Not to mention two big things against Salamence is that it's double weak to a priority move (Ice Shard), and unlike Charizard is susceptible to Will-o-wisp. Regardless, I can easily see it being suspect worthy.

Not to mention two big things against Salamence is that it's double weak to a priority move (Ice Shard), and unlike Charizard is susceptible to Will-o-wisp. Regardless, I can easily see it being suspect worthy.
It's also really going to have a bit of a problem covering all its bases, being either hard walled by Heatran (if it doesn't bring Earthquake to the party), Skarmory (if it doesn't bring Fire Blast), Mega Diancie (if it doesn't have steel wing), etc. Like 9 tales said, as well, unless it gets a ridiculously high attack buff, none of its attacks bar Return/ Double Edge/ Facade are going to hit as hard as its previous LO sets.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I don't wish to make any kind of extended debate here because it would be weak speculation and loudmouthing, but I still find it a bit interesting to discuss this so ill proceed. I want to establish some things for dicussion here.

1) Stop comparing Life Orb attackers to Mega Attackers. This was something that plagued discussion pre-XY, and I'm a bit frustrated it's still being bought into. The recoil that a life orb incurs is catastrophic in the cases of trying to preserve health to survive weaker priority, as well as residual damage coupled with damage taken on set up. Mega SAlamence already exceeds life orb Sally in power when using its Flying STAB, and isntead of losing HP it gains a lot of defense. This disparity here makes comparisons between the two rather wrongful, where Life Orb Salamence would fall to a Hippowdon's Ice Fang after Life Orb damage, and such and such, Mega Salamence kinda laughs at it. Look no further than Mega Gyarados, and Mega Tyranitar who are much weaker than their Life Orb counterparts, but for reasons similar to Salamence are far, far superior Dragon Dance attackers.

projecting 120 defense: 252 Atk Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 228-268 (68.8 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

Damn straight. Extrapolating, the lack of Life Orb lets SAlamence stand up to Brave Birds, Sucker Punches, Bullet Punches, and countless other priority attacks that it previously could not.

2) Life Orb Dragon Dancers have always been unpoluar anyways. This is because... the residual damage and lack of set up opportunity meant surviability items like Lum Berry or LEftovers were far better at doing the job of cleaning house, sweeping, if you will. Life Orbs are reserved for all out attackers, or Wallbreaking boosters that have a hole punching, or hit and run style of attacking that either keeps them out of danger, or sees it fit to let them be KO'd to remove the defensive keystone. Obviously Swords Dance > Dragon Dance for a wallbreaker. Because of this comparing LO sally to MEga Salamence is pretty misguided, because, yeah actually LO Salamence would destroy offensive teams like I project Mega Salamence will be able to, if it could stand up to some weak priority or attacks on set up without keeling over, but it cant, and mega Sally can.

Life Orb Salamence is as strong as Mega charizard X yet its a piece of crap in comparison. OFfensive calculations while ignoring the massive defensive and speed upgrade ignores an extremely important part of the game.

It's also really going to have a bit of a problem covering all its bases, being either hard walled by Heatran (if it doesn't bring Earthquake to the party), Skarmory (if it doesn't bring Fire Blast), Mega Diancie (if it doesn't have steel wing), etc. Like 9 tales said, as well, unless it gets a ridiculously high attack buff, none of its attacks bar Return/ Double Edge/ Facade are going to hit as hard as its previous LO sets.
A simple Return / Dragon Dance / Earthquake / Fire Blast set is sufficient for almost the entire metgame. Outrage can be used to muscle past Rotom-W if it needs to. Diance is easily dealt with with Earthquake, even if it does not OHKO (It probably does to all but physically defensive Diancie), Mega Salamence can probably live the Diamond Storm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)