Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
M-Audino has a rather good defensive typing IMO. Being immune to both Ghost and dragon is something that only it can boast. Resistances to bug and dark moves, A new neutrality to fighting, and only being weak to poison and steel. (unless i missed something) gives it more of a shot at being an extremely good defensive pokemon. It's offensive typing is less good, but then again this thing is probably going to be used defensively anyway.

That stat distribution on M-Audino is what I really really REALLY want to see at this moment in time. Darn it..
Wigglytuff exists bro. Sorry man :P However, Mega Audino will be infinitely more useful than Wiggles will be, I agree there. It's support movepool is already big, let alone anything extra ORAS is going to give to it. It has tonnes of offensive options due to lolnormal typing and we all know it might get a boost to its Special Attack (which would be nice and not make it total bait).

Wigglytuff exists bro. Sorry man :P However, Mega Audino will be infinitely more useful than Wiggles will be, I agree there. It's support movepool is already big, let alone anything extra ORAS is going to give to it. It has tonnes of offensive options due to lolnormal typing and we all know it might get a boost to its Special Attack (which would be nice and not make it total bait).
DAMN IT I KNEW I MISSED SOMETHING. Wigglytuff will always be overlooked due to how shockingly outclassed it is at everything it can do. But yes, I predict big things for our little exp-mule.

As somebody who's a part of the design community, these kinds of comments can get under my skin with little effort. What you're insinuating is that they may have invented and implemented the newly-released megas in-between the release of XY and the announcement time of ORAS. While it's not completely outside the realm of possibility, it would be a weird use of time to have somehow picked another 10-some-odd Pokemon to MEvo, reinvent their stats, create a design, model/rig/animate it and put it into an existing engine that's in the middle of getting translated into a new game. Really, they probably had about 90% of all the technical/artistic work done for all the megas that they're just now revealing and merely had to code them into the games for ORAS as additional content to what Pokemon data was already in XY.

The way GameFreak, and most other game companies actually work, they've more than likely been putting their art and design concept talent to work on Gen7 for the last 9 months while keeping their programmers busy fixing up the games getting ready for launch, which are likely to begin getting shipped out to stores in about 4 weeks.
Uh... I said the opposite was plausible. I didn't mean to insinuate anything.

And I'll go a step further and say that not only I find your theory plausible, but I also agree with it. It makes a lot of sense, especially when you consider how little time they had between XY and ORAS release. But it doesn't have to be true, it's just the way we read the facts we know - an educated guess. That could be wrong. For instance, remember when some people were really skeptical about the introduction of new megas in ORAS given the fact only Mega Lati@s data could be found in XY. Especially when we take in account our shared premise - that is, that GF plans way in advance - we couldn't account for the fact they would put in Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion and the mega Lati@s but leave other possible megas out and run into all the issues of having to update XY cartridges for compatibility. So the facts we knew led us to believe there would be no more megas other than the ones in XY. Yet we were wrong. For some reason we can only speculate about, GF preferred to leave many mega evolutions out and deal with compatibility issues later. (I'm not trying to revive the discussion, just using it as an example that our educated guesses might be wrong every now and then - without implying I think this is the case about the current topic, since I agree with MarioWithLasers and Yveltal).

Given we're on the same page when it comes to the development of new mega evolutions, I think the only thing I might have done to "get under your skin" was using the word "opinion", which you interpreted as a way of downplaying MarioWithLaser's view. It wasn't. Opinions don't have to be silly and subjective. Opinions can be well-founded and convincing - just like yours and MarioWithLaser's. But we can't mistake them for a fact, since GF might decide to go an unexpected way, breaking patterns and making our safest bets turn out to be wrong - just like in the case of new mega evolutions in ORAS.

Edit: And actually, I like the way I see things now. First I was upset they might be ruining ORAS and the mega evolution mechanic by overpopulating the remakes with random mega evolutions. Now I realize they might've had tons of megas planned all along and just saved some Hoenn-related ME for the remakes along with a couple others that don't really have anything to do with the them but were planned anyway and meant to come out eventually. If that's so, hopefully there will be a third batch for X2/Y2/Z!

Last edited:
Not necessarily. In Emerald is possible to obtain one of the Johto starters from Professor Birch, and if ORAS do like HGSS and borrow elements from the third version (aka, Emerald) then we may get the Johto starters with their Mega Stones at some point.
To be honest I still see megas as pretty unlikely. Birch gives them to you for completing the Hoenn dex. Which is essentially a post game accomplishment. For the last 2 games the regional dex accomplishment gets you an Oval Charm. Also part of getting them as a reward in Emerald was that there was basically no other was to get them (Besides trading from a gamecube) Where as now you can trade all three onto your game whenever.

Johto starters are hecka popular and I'm sure they'll get megas but I just don't see it happening in a "remake" game that isn't the next iteration of 2 gen remakes. My reasoning for this is based on three concepts that, I mean, are just GF patterns that no one holds them to, but just seem like they won't be broken:
1) The majority of mega stones are not obtainable until post game
2) You will only be getting gen 3 starters in ORAS pre-championship
3) the concept of a streamlined 1 mega or "playthrough mega" experience that is linked to starters

1 is just based on the fact that they seemed to want to streamline the "mega" experience in XY and make it so your team really only had one mega on it in playthrough, your second starter. It also makes all the cool new megas your reward for beating the game. Showing your friend your mega Tyranitar is proof of your awesomeness. Mega evolution is only for the best trainers after all. I deem it VERY likely the majority of mega stones will still be post game ORAS for the same reasons.
2 is based on the fact that they just never give out two sets of starters before you beat the game. The obvious exception being the most recent games however they did this because that way you get your streamlined mega experience. It lets them feed you your mega starter for the playthrough. Also, while the Hoenn dex is clearly gonna expand I just don't see them pumping that much non-Hoenn content onto your team during the playthough.
3 is just the side effect of 1. We might be able to find one or two other megas (or take our event Beldum for people who buy the game early) but really the game is designed so that you play through with your starter as your mega. The starters are the pokemon that are supposed to be "garanteed" to be on everyone's team in playthough. The ones everyone playing "bonds" with and grows to like. A huge part of why they're so popular. It just kind of makes sense that they will be your one mega as you become champion. So after gen 1 and 3 starters get to be your mega for a whole playthrough. It'll suck for gen 2 starters to end up as this sort of "tacked on" addition that doesn't get that much in game love and attention. I would full on expect gen 2 starters to be "playthrough megas" in a later game where we don't already have others.

That's just my take on how they seem to be treating megas for starters. but it's based on a 1 or 2 assumed "patterns" that so far has only happened in one game. lol, so it's not like it's THAT grounded. But it still makes sense to me. Trust me I WANT a Mega Meganium. But I just think game freak will give it to me to be my only mega on my team for an entire game playthrough like it seems they are doing with every other starter.

Last edited:
Also part of getting them as a reward in Emerald was that there was basically no other was to get them (Besides trading from a gamecube) Where as now you can trade all three onto your game whenever.
Eeeeexcept Johto Starters have been available in absolutely no format to us since 2009. Even the Sinnoh starters were distributed in Dream World events; but there has literally been no way to get Johto Starters since being a starter in HGSS. So... even if they don't get Megas or Hidden Abilities, I would most definitely be expecting them to be given out by Birch.

Eeeeexcept Johto Starters have been available in absolutely no format to us since 2009. Even the Sinnoh starters were distributed in Dream World events; but there has literally been no way to get Johto Starters since being a starter in HGSS. So... even if they don't get Megas or Hidden Abilities, I would most definitely be expecting them to be given out by Birch.
Sure, sure, although maybe for an alternative accomplishment? I just kind of imagine all games moving forward are gonna give oval and shiny charms as the regional and national dex rewards respectively.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this at all, but with misty terrain on audino, is it possible that the terrain moves are tutor moves? Maybe more viable setters could make these moves viable in doubles. Grass pelt gogoat seems to good to go to waste like it currently is. Any thoughts?

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this at all, but with misty terrain on audino, is it possible that the terrain moves are tutor moves? Maybe more viable setters could make these moves viable in doubles. Grass pelt gogoat seems to good to go to waste like it currently is. Any thoughts?
I suppose it's possible? Unless I'm missing something it was never confirmed HOW Audino learns Misty Terrain. Of course, it is entirely possible that Audino just now magically is able to Misty Terrain, similar to how Blastoise magically learned how to fire off Aura Spheres to give its Mega more viability in X/Y. But you never know! I'm sure everyone here would appreciate Tutors in ORAS.

I suppose it's possible? Unless I'm missing something it was never confirmed HOW Audino learns Misty Terrain. Of course, it is entirely possible that Audino just now magically is able to Misty Terrain, similar to how Blastoise magically learned how to fire off Aura Spheres to give its Mega more viability in X/Y. But you never know! I'm sure everyone here would appreciate Tutors in ORAS.
Has a pokemon ever gotten a new level up move or egg group in a remake?

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All the time! Pokemon gain new moves almost every game. I mean, Scizor got Bullet Punch in Platinum and Diamond/Pearl. Tons of Egg moves were added in HGSS! It's pretty much a guarantee that we'll be seeing mvoeset changes

Some moveset changes were indeed made to certain Pokemon in order to accommodate their new Megas in X/Y, yes, so I would say its a likely possibility we will see the same thing happen in ORAS, especially for Megas who get a drastic change in typing. For example, Mega Lopunny was confirmed to get High Jump Kick when it was revealed. Since Lopunny already learns the lesser Jump Kick naturally by level-up, I imagine the move will just be added to her level-up move list. Just a guess, though.

EDIT: lol these three ninjas

Lumari

thinking of a place
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
1 is just based on the fact that they seemed to want to streamline the "mega" experience in XY and make it so your team really only had one mega on it in playthrough, your second starter.
I don't really understand what you're saying here. I agree we're probably not gonna get the majority of the stones until after the game because it would be a complete overkill otherwise, but even in XY there were some other stones we could get before that, for some very playthrough-viable mons. (Heck, at one point a friend of mine had Mega Charizard Y, Mega Gengar, and Mega Aerodactyl on his party, and I was strongly considering taking Mega Ampharos despite already having Mega Venusaur, which I only didn't do because I felt bad for muh Raichu. So I don't really get your point of them kinda pushing us into only taking one mega on our team, when some really good mons for playthroughs also had their megas available before the postgame. Please let me use both Mega Sceptile and Mega Manectric in ORAS :p)

Last edited:

I don't really understand what you're saying here. I agree we're probably not gonna get the majority of the stones until after the game because it would be a complete overkill otherwise, but even in XY there were some other stones we could get before that, for some very playthrough-viable mons. (Heck, at one point a friend of mine had Mega Charizard Y, Mega Gengar, and Mega Aerodactyl on his party, and I was strongly considering taking Mega Ampharos despite already having Mega Venusaur, which I only didn't do because I felt bad for muh Raichu. So I don't really get your point of them kinda pushing us into only taking one mega on our team, when some really good mons for playthroughs also had their megas available before the postgame. Please let me use both Mega Sceptile and Mega Manectric in ORAS :p)
In that post you listed EVERY single other mega you can put on your team. 80% of megas are post game only (more if you count the 2 starters you didn't pick, which you should) and half of the non post game ones are out of the way or very rare Pokemon. The average player did not have mega Aerdactyl during their playthorugh without having also looked stuff up online. If I was gonna argue against me I would actually point at Lucario since it's the other mega that gets fed onto your team. (though I think that just makes him your alternative "Playthrough Mega")

They don't give you many option and the few they have are not super straight forward (except maybe Gengar) they're all rare Pokemon or stones that are out of the way/ not on the main paths of the game/ you have to back track. The games don't FORCE you to only use your one starter Mega. But yeah, I think they REALLY streamline it. The game mostly expects the majority of players to be using their starter as their mega. And I expect a very similar experience in ORAS where maybe 3 other mega stones are available before you're champion but even those three aren't gonna be land mark obvious things to average players not looking everything up. So most people will go through the game with their one "playthrough mega" that was fed to their team, their starter. And my expectation beyond that is that all starters will get that "playthourhg mega" treatment in future games so i doubt two sets of starters will get megas in one game.

So all this is just arguably poor assumptions. but I do think they beat out an "obvious path" in terms of the megas on your team during the playthrough and that most players end up just following that path.

Last edited:
Sure, sure, although maybe for an alternative accomplishment? I just kind of imagine all games moving forward are gonna give oval and shiny charms as the regional and national dex rewards respectively.
Oh I'm sure he'll give out the charms, but I don't see why the Johto Starters can't ALSO be given out. It doesn't have precedent, but I don't think it'd be too outlandish for Birch to say "Here's an Oval Charm and also take this adorable crocodile"

Lumari

thinking of a place
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
In that post you listed EVERY single other mega you can put on your team. 80% of megas are post game only (more if you count the 2 starters you didn pick, which you should) and half of the non post game ones are out of the way or very rare Pokemon. The average player did not have mega Aerdactyl during there playthorugh without having also looked stuff up online. If I was gonna argue against me I would actually point at Lucario since it's the other mega that gets fed onto your team. (though I think that just makes him your alternative "Playthrough Mega")

They don't give you many option and the few they have are not super straight forward (except maybe Gengar) they're all rare Pokemon or stones that are out of the way/ not on the main paths of the game/ you have to back track. The games don't FORCE you to only use your one starter Mega. But yeah, I think they REALLY streamline it. The game mostly expects the majority of players to be using their starter as their mega. And I expect a very similar experience in ORAS where maybe 3 other mega stones are available before you're champion but even those three aren't gonna be land mark obvious things to average players not looking everything up. So most people will go through the with there one "playthrough mega" that was fed to their team, their starter. And my expectation beyond that is that all starters will get that "playthourhg mega" treatment in future games so i doubt two sets of starters will get megas in one game.

So all this is just arguably poor assumptions. but I do think they beat out an "obvious path" in terms of the megas on your team during the playthrough and that most players end up just following that path.
Did I really? Whoops X_X Well, except Lucario then.
dw, I wasn't arguing against you, I was just wondering how you arrived at that conclusion. But yeah, I see your point of the other megas being 'off the beaten path' and I agree with it (I would also argue this for Gengar, even more so than Aerodactyl/Ampharos, as he requires a trade to evolve, which is pretty much the reason I never use him on my teams if I don't have two consoles. The exception is Lucario, but story-wise he's required to explain the concept, so he doesn't really count). Guess that Altaria's mega stone could be available in the storyline this way, as Swablu is not a really straightforward pick for a team and they'll most likely find some unaccessible place to leave the stone - Abandoned Ship? idk (just a hypothetic example that would fit the mould of Ampharosite etc.)

Exhibition explanation
My driving point behind my first reply was just that GameFreak had their chances to hype planned out really well by treating MEvo accessibility like expansion/booster packs of new tools for competing against friends. They wanted everyone to get used to the new gameplay mechanic and then continually treat it like a major deal to make CoroCoro and Pokemon Get-TV more exciting every month

Sneaky genius marketing bastards

Did I really? Whoops X_X Well, except Lucario then.
dw, I wasn't arguing against you, I was just wondering how you arrived at that conclusion. But yeah, I see your point of the other megas being 'off the beaten path' and I agree with it (I would also argue this for Gengar, even more so than Aerodactyl/Ampharos, as he requires a trade to evolve, which is pretty much the reason I never use him on my teams if I don't have two consoles. The exception is Lucario, but story-wise he's required to explain the concept, so he doesn't really count). Guess that Altaria's mega stone could be available in the storyline this way, as Swablu is not a really straightforward pick for a team and they'll most likely find some unaccessible place to leave the stone - Abandoned Ship? idk (just a hypothetic example that would fit the mould of Ampharosite etc.)
Due to the focus of Lisia's Mega Altaria, I'd be very surprised if Altarianite wasn't gifted to you or had some sort of not-random way of getting it. Then again, Gyaradosite was off the beaten path, oddly enough...

It used to be that way. Whether a move was a physical or special attack depended on its type. So all Fire attacks and Ice attacks were special, for example. Flareon was even more ridiculous back then as it could never have a STAB attack that used its best stat.

Anyway, Mega Audino will probably be pretty bulky. Its HP is already great, it gets a nice secondary type (FAIRY) and it could end up with really nice defenses since they're already decent at base 86 and there are 100 stat points to spend (44 each puts it at 103/130/130 with 12 points to spare).

Was initially disappointed with no Regenerator on MegaSlowbro but I guess they were afraid of brokenness. As others have said, Shell Armor, reliable recovery and buffed Def sounds like a CMer.

I felt weird about MegaSalamence until I saw where the front legs were hidden. After that I liked it. It'll probably be a beast. Base form can have Intimidate then it has a beefed up Def stat on evolution. You can't tell me it won't find the opportunity to DD. Oh, and I can't fail to mention that it has Flying STAB stronger than Brave Bird now thanks to Aerilate Double Edge and nothing is immune to it unlike the nerfed Dragon STAB. It will also have the option to run Facade too to make opponents think twice about burning it. All the single types that resist Flying are also weak to Ground so it will have almost all the coverage it needs with Flying + Ground and can afford to run a situational last move (Fire Blast, Roost, etc). It'll probably play more like a brutal Flying type than the Outraging Salamence of old but Salamence is back!

MegaAltaria seems cool and the typing is unique. It will be quite the anti-Dragon Dragon (laughs at Charizard X). Bulky DD will probably be a thing as it already has good defenses and it will be getting a boost to Atk. It has Heal Bell to keep itself free of status (laughs at Charizard X) and support the team, Roost, and 130+ base power Pixelate Return.

MegaLopunny is hilarious. I love it just for that. It scares the trainer because it rips its tights and becomes warlike! LOL! It will need heavy base stat investment in Atk to become potent. Thankfully it's already quite fast so it can easily get up to ~150 base attack and ~130 speed theoretically with the 100 extra base stat points it will gain. Surprisingly it's not terribly frail as is and if GF is kind and pilfers some points from SpA it could end up with nice stats where it matters. Spammable Scrappy HJK sounds kind of intriguing and will set it apart from Mienshao who can carry items and doesn't take a Mega slot. I'm assuming it gets HJK as suggested as it will be quite pointless otherwise. Scrappy Return gives pretty good coverage along with HJK. Facade is also interesting with Scrappy in mind and the fact that Lopunny gets STAB. It would somewhat discourage burn and Toxic Spikes if Lopunny becomes known for running Facade and is seen in team preview. Even in the case of burn, trading a 130BP STAB for a 140BP STAB with less SE coverage wouldn't be too bad. PuP might also be viable depending on how much oomph Lop will need to sweep. The punches are there but they are weaker than Return unless 4x effective. I'll be trying Lopunny out just for how unexpected MegaLopunny is.

Last edited:
The megas I'm most excited about in ORAS are Mega Lopunny, Mega Swampert, Mega Sceptile, and Mega Diancie. It seems like Lopunny's going to get the boosts it needs in Attack and Speed. Mega Swampert has the potential to be extremely dangerous when paired with rain support. I'm anticipating Mega Sceptile to be fast enough to be able to run a Modest nature (like Mega 'Zam and Mega 'Dactyl with Adamant). But if Mega Diancie gets 150/150/150 attacking and speed stats like I theorize, it's going to be brutal. Although, Diancie suffers from coverage issues (it can't really touch Steels) and gets murked by Bullet Punch...

Which brings me to Mega Metagross. Being able to go through the normal gameplay with the event Beldum is going to be wicked. It'll need some help early on, but I think it's worth an in-game teamslot. This is especially true since early game in RSE, the only 'mon I wanted to catch was Ralts. Hopefully the expanded dex changes that though.

I don't know if this has been posted already, buuut.
it's so fluffy mega alteria image.jpg

Also...when I first saw mega slowbrow from my facebook feed from pokebeach, I thought it was a joke image someone made. O_O

In HeartGold and SoulSilver you get a Kanto starter, a Hoenn starter and the Red/Blue Orb all for beating Red, so I wouldn't discount the possibility of multiple rewards for something.

And then the Johto starter Birch gives you has its Hidden Ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)