Media Metalheads Thread III

Opeth gave an album to someone who did a review, no screams, a very creepy/dark sounding mood, a fusion between Damnation for the clean sound and Ghost Reveries for the mood, and way better than Watershed / Heritage (Watershed is a pretty darn good album imo)

And it's produced by Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree who said that the album had one of the best guitar work of the band, so i'm pretty hyped for this.

i read that review. the review for Heritage was similarly intriguing on paper.

if it truly turns out to be a cross between Damnation and Ghost Reveries, i'll be over the moon, as i love both those albums.

i thought Watershed had a few brief good parts, but nothing fit together overall and it's a jumbled mess of an album.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've been listening to Dark Moor lately and holy shit I fucking love them. The album Tarot is especially good, its vocals just rape your ears in a good way. And I could swear I hear some piano classics (beethoven and mozart kind of shit) in some of their songs.

Last edited:
yeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhh not a fan of that sort of thing.

EDIT: power/symphonic metal in general, not "mozart/beethoven" in metal.

The Pagan Manifesto is the best thing Elvenking have done since The Winter Wake. After releasing some shitty records the last album and this really put them on the right track to be fucking amazing again.
I know you guys are more into heavier stuff, but this album is more energetic than anything I've heard this year. Definitely a dark horse AOTY candidate for me.

The Pagan Manifesto is the best thing Elvenking have done since The Winter Wake. After releasing some shitty records the last album and this really put them on the right track to be fucking amazing again.
I know you guys are more into heavier stuff, but this album is more energetic than anything I've heard this year. Definitely a dark horse AOTY candidate for me.

This is a really fun listen. Like unusually fun.

So apparently Sigh put out a demo of a song from the upcoming album like 3 weeks ago and no one told me.
It obviously rules, I would never expect anything not amazing from the band at this point. I've been looking forward to this for a loooong time, can't wait to listen to the whole album. So hyped I can't even talk about it.

Bongripper was so good at MDF. It's too bad their set was only 30 minutes long, they only had time to play two songs!

reminds me of my friend who went on a 5 hour road trip and was upset because he didnt get to finish his favorite dream theatre song

(bongripper are great, sounds like a good time)

Castevet, Mgla and The Ruins of Beverast were all fantastic, Agalloch was ok i guess, Limbs was the highlight, and At the Gates was pretty meh.

here's my CD haul:

I'm not sure which was my favorite thing: the old guy with a hawaiian shirt battle jacket, or the kid with Emporer/Burzum/Dark Thorne, et cetera patches and a Demon Hunter tattoo on his arm.

Also protip: if you're wearing nothing but booty shorts and a bra of spikes, crowd surfing probably isn't for you.

Deschain, did you catch Taake? I think we tend to like slightly different kinds of metal (I thought The Ruins of Beverast were ok, Necros Cristos was my favorite on Friday), but I thought Taake was awesome, and it sort of seemed to me like the kind of thing that you might like. Sorry I didn't try to find you out there, I didn't see your post until Sunday, heh. I totally would have walked around in the crowd and tried to at least shake your hand or something.

Okay, besides Bongripper and Necros Cristos, I really enjoyed Machetazo, Unleashed, Dark Angel, Gorguts, and Candlemass. My Dying Bride was cool (I didn't think they were as good as all those other bands), but it was neat because I noticed I was standing next to the three guys from Machetazo during their set. From what I could tell, their guitarist /really/ liked My Dying Bride.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE

Riot Games/League of Legends is pulling a Dethklok. My reaction is... "This is alright, I guess."

Deschain, did you catch Taake? I think we tend to like slightly different kinds of metal (I thought The Ruins of Beverast were ok, Necros Cristos was my favorite on Friday), but I thought Taake was awesome, and it sort of seemed to me like the kind of thing that you might like. Sorry I didn't try to find you out there, I didn't see your post until Sunday, heh. I totally would have walked around in the crowd and tried to at least shake your hand or something.

Okay, besides Bongripper and Necros Cristos, I really enjoyed Machetazo, Unleashed, Dark Angel, Gorguts, and Candlemass. My Dying Bride was cool (I didn't think they were as good as all those other bands), but it was neat because I noticed I was standing next to the three guys from Machetazo during their set. From what I could tell, their guitarist /really/ liked My Dying Bride.
we walked to Alewife before Taake came on. i'm a casual fan of his, but everyone is saying that it was one of the best sets of the weekend now, so i'm bummed about missing it.

Snowflakes

Dango Dango Daikazoku
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Riot Games/League of Legends is pulling a Dethklok. My reaction is... "This is alright, I guess."
it just reminds me of so many actually metal bands that I liked/respect. It's definitely more than I expected from them and I'd say they did quite an amazing job. I can see influences from btbam, king crimson, korn etc. there's all little aspects from a ton of metal bands here and it's.. a melting pot of a lot of my favourite aspects of metal.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)