Doubles Stage 3 — Suspect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your calcs are truthful, but you know mega lucario has vaccum wave and is faster, right?
While that's true, physical Lucario-Mega is far more common (from what I've seen at the least) since Close Combat can KO even the bulkiest Kangaskhan-Mega sets and is in general far more powerful than Aura Sphere (even after Intimidate a 252 Jolly CC only does around 5% less than a 252 Timid Aura Sphere to a Rotom w/ equal defenses). Regardless of that special variants will prefer to use Aura Sphere because it nets a OHKO on Mega-Kanganskhan (bar the bulkier 252 / 0 sets).

Yes, there are counters to Mega Kangaskhan (I will use Khan from now on) all over the place. A Jolly Mienshao has a 90% chance to OHKO Khan using a High Jump Kick, and is faster, and will through a sucker punch. Double targeting can also beat Khan. Intimidate and Will O Wisp can cut Khan's attack. And yes most of these strategies can be used against most other teams. The only problem is that Khan is a very easy mon to support.
252 Atk Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 414-488 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (I dunno where this calc of yours came from but this is what I wound up with; regardless its not hugely significant but just pointing it out)

If we're going to throw the "easy to use (or support) out there" may I also mention some special deals:
  • Scarf Landorus-T to EQ things, U-turn and cause immense mind games, or just spam cheap Rock Slides
  • Azumarill who can Belly Drum with support (and a ton of useful resistances) and then proceed to Aqua Jet your team for heavy damage
  • Heatran who you switch in on Cresselia, Ice-types, Scizor and Mega-Mawile, Fire- and Fairy-types that aren't scared enough to run HP Ground, and a lot of other things, then proceed to use Substitute and be incredibly annoying to get rid of
  • Togekiss who spams Follow Me, Air Slash, and Tailwind while doing all sorts of crazy things with its last moveslot
  • Thundurus who uses Thunder Wave on everything
  • Amoonguss who Rage Powders and Spores to troll you all day every day
  • Any of these can be yours today for a wonderful price of $0!
My basic point here is that "easy to use" hardly means anything at all. Regardless of that, please play a really good player with Kangaskhan and try not to think all day long about who he might Protect with, whether PuP will actually accomplish something (maybe you should try Return instead?) or whether he'll attack so Sucker Punch will successful hit (and there's more). I've said this three times now, Kangaskhan creates mind games that work against you just as much as they work for you. Your chances of actually sweeping with it are very slim bar late-game, where you typically will either have it won anyway or are already done for.

Yeah, Kangaskhan is easy to snag wins with against the lower level players (not to hate on them; we're all bad at some point and that includes me; losing to things like Kanga is how we get better). Hooray. When you start getting up there in terms of player skill, Kangaskhan becomes very difficult to play with if anything.

The rest of a team on any successful Khan team is all about supporting Khan. Any competent user can easily slap together a team that can destroy most other teams using Khan and a few support mon. Like Totem said, he is way too easy to weaponise. Mienshao can be countered perfectly using Talonflame. Mienshao will never be able to take both on at once, and most counters to Talonflame can be easily countered in turn by Khan. An intimidator that switches in trying to cut Khan's attack will in turn be countered by a support mon with Defiant or Competitive, or any fast special attacker while Khan recovers using PuP. A mon trying to counter Khan using Will O Wisp will be countered in turn by a simple Safeguard.
Heatran (who will probably be used as an example a good few other times) will be supported by things that kill Ground-, Water-, and Fighting-types as without those it can typically take matches. So what does Landorus-T do when Keldeo comes in to get rid of it? It switches out.

A huge concept in Doubles is switching around (you mention this later but I'm going to say it anyway) or getting things in safely through a less important partner fainting in order to create a favorable position in which you take control of the momentum, allowing you to snag KOs, set up Substitutes/Dragon Dances, and so forth with the proper play. When the opponent has the momentum, you are typically trying to get it back in a similar manner (yes this happens really fast but it still happens).

The word I'd really like to point out is "position". You need Bisharp to be on the field to stop Intimidate, you need Talonflame on the field to stop Mienshao. Unless the opponent has no checks to Bisharp, Safeguard Cresselia, or Talonflame you cannot keep them on the field (and with the momentum the opponent will have Mienshao on the field before Talonflame comes in and since Mega Kang doesn't even have Protect it basically amounts to "switch out or risk fainting"). And the moment they aren't on the field, the opponent can take advantage of it.

Even then a team built all around one Pokemon is very inconsistent, as if the given Pokemon faints, you lose (see: Full Perish Trap). So essentially you still have to use any normally effective support Pokemon that can still be useful with Kanga fainted (Bisharp, Togekiss, Amoonguss) and that could support any other sweeper just as well. There's nothing unique in the way most players support Kangaskhan-Mega (unless they feel like changing it up and using Magmar).

The only way to consistently counter a Khan and his team is to run a combination of these strategies, and that involves running 2-3 mons dedicated to anti Khan. I do believe that is the definition of over centralizing. That is, of course, seeing only 2 types of teams in the meta: Khan teams and anti Khan teams.
Firstly, "her".

Secondly, Fighting-types, Intimidate, WoW, and Ghost-types are all really good choices regardless of Kangaskhan. If countering Kangaskhan took completely unorthodox strategies like Gravity, then maybe you'd have a point. As it so happens, it does not.

You might say that is what doubles is all about, trying to find a synergy of mons that work together to cover each other's weaknesses. But then by that reasoning, no mon is broken, and we should allow Xerneas, Palkia, Kyurem-W, Rayquaza, Lugia and Mewtwo into doubles each one of them has a very easy to use counter. We don't use them outside of Double Ubers because they can be weaponised too easily, and with very little support, can easily sweep most opposing teams.
The reason Ubers are in Ubers is because it takes Ubers to beat Ubers. Lugia can't be taken out by any single threats in the metagame that aren't also banned (it'd take around 3 that would need to consistenly batter away at it to break through its Multiscale + Roost shenanigans and then there are partners to worry about.

More importantly, Kangaskhan cannot sweep opposing teams with "very little support". You yourself listed three entire team members that were needed and I don't even believe they alone would be nearly enough for a Kangaskhan to "sweep most opposing teams". There is a very clear difference in strength between Kangaskhan-Mega and Kyurem-W, believe it or not.

tl;dr Stop saying Kangaskhan is ban worthy because its "easy to use (in lower level play)", "overused", "annoying to play against", or any other typical trait of a top tier =/

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have found an argument which brings me on to the pro-ban side of kanga and has destroyed my con-ban argument. It restricts team building, i know i have said 'thats not a problem, its checks have other niches and are highly used' - thats the exact reason why i think its broken; it stops people from using less used pokes with smaller, but nice niches. I would rather have a slightly more balanced meta with a higher range of pokes than an ever so slightly less balanced which allows one more poke in (stone) but has a much less range of pokes. Why use doe-a if it gets shat on by kanga? might as well use landorus-t over landorus-i because it beats kanga . better. I know these arent the best of examples but you should get the general message; kanga stops the usage of lower tier, but decently niche mons, eg deo-a. Most people have been replacing mega kahn on there team with megacham, nape or even mienshoa, these are somewhat eclipsed by kahn, worse bulk, weaker fake outs, unable to settup, some dont have reliable stabs, others dont have the raw power. Banning kahn makes the meta a lot better, only with a suspect ladder you can see how centralising it is, the meta is half based around kahn, most playstyles have to base there team around kahn (rip my old arguments). Yes you can outplay can, but you need to outplay more than the kahn user as Pup is a guarantied boost and will-o-wisp/close combats are predictable.

tl;dr there are ways to beat kahn, but that involves centralising the meta to 20 mons, and that is unhealthy and less enjoyable. I wanna use megacham for a change>:(

I have found an argument which brings me on to the pro-ban side of kanga and has destroyed my con-ban argument. It restricts team building, i know i have said 'thats not a problem, its checks have other niches and are highly used' - thats the exact reason why i think its broken; it stops people from using less used pokes with smaller, but nice niches. I would rather have a slightly more balanced meta with a higher range of pokes than an ever so slightly less balanced which allows one more poke in (stone) but has a much less range of pokes. Why use doe-a if it gets shat on by kanga? might as well use landorus-t over landorus-i because it beats kanga . better. I know these arent the best of examples but you should get the general message; kanga stops the usage of lower tier, but decently niche mons, eg deo-a. Most people have been replacing mega kahn on there team with megacham, nape or even mienshoa, these are somewhat eclipsed by kahn, worse bulk, weaker fake outs, unable to settup, some dont have reliable stabs, others dont have the raw power. Banning kahn makes the meta a lot better, only with a suspect ladder you can see how centralising it is, the meta is half based around kahn, most playstyles have to base there team around kahn (rip my old arguments). Yes you can outplay can, but you need to outplay more than the kahn user as Pup is a guarantied boost and will-o-wisp/close combats are predictable.

tl;dr there are ways to beat kahn, but that involves centralising the meta to 20 mons, and that is unhealthy and less enjoyable. I wanna use megacham for a change>:(
Some I agree with, some I don't. That last paragraph is wrong entirely. I can name much more than 20 mons that are viable. Nothing is stopping you from using mega medicham too. Many pokemon can be fit on a team to stop kanga, and I find it as a fun challenge that makes it more enjoyable

Reactions: AM

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Maybe I'm just weird, but I've never in my life looked at a team after building it and wondered whether I had enough Kangaskhan checks, so personally I'm not buying an argument that it restricts teambuilding. I'd be willing to bet that the metagame would look almost exactly the same, with a few mons rising to fill the role of Fake Out user or popular Mega Pokemon or something, but certainly not any significant enough changes to suggest that it is somehow forcing people to build teams a certain way.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Some I agree with, some I don't. That last paragraph is wrong entirely. I can name much more than 20 mons that are viable. Nothing is stopping you from using mega medicham too. Many pokemon can be fit on a team to stop kanga, and I find it as a fun challenge that makes it more enjoyable
Looking at the pokes in b-c rank, the only ones i see who can check kanga are gourgeist, jelli, klefki, lucario, saybelye, trevenant, dusclops and nape (machamp and hariyama can die to a double edge). 4 of these heavy damage from crunch, and die if kanga is at +2 and all of those only belong in tr. Only megaluke and nape properly ko. There are enough checks, but most of these 1. cant fit into every team 2. are standard. I personally, out of those checks have only seen klefki, trevenant, jellicent and dusclops in kanga era, 3 were on trick room teams, which naturally have the bulk to check kanga.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I've never in my life looked at a team after building it and wondered whether I had enough Kangaskhan checks, so personally I'm not buying an argument that it restricts teambuilding. I'd be willing to bet that the metagame would look almost exactly the same, with a few mons rising to fill the role of Fake Out user or popular Mega Pokemon or something, but certainly not any significant enough changes to suggest that it is somehow forcing people to build teams a certain way.
It wont restrict teambuilding on more standard team which pack lando-t and top ect or trick room teams who have cress or dusclops but will affect teams with less used mons. One of my suspect team would be semi-recked by kanga and that has pokes likes zygarde.

I know i suck at getting my point across, but i have seen much more of a variety of pokes is the suspect ladder, even though they are lower tier pokes. A trick room bouffalant nearly destroyed me and i have a scrafty (head smash i very stronk, doesnt help that i forgot about sap sipper). I prefer seeing more pokes in the meta even if they are not as good. (the argument makes sense in my head)

Looking at the pokes in b-c rank, the only ones i see who can check kanga are gourgeist, jelli, klefki, lucario, saybelye, trevenant, dusclops and nape (machamp and hariyama can die to a double edge). 4 of these heavy damage from crunch, and die if kanga is at +2 and all of those only belong in tr. Only megaluke and nape properly ko. There are enough checks, but most of these 1. cant fit into every team 2. are standard. I personally, out of those checks have only seen klefki, trevenant, jellicent and dusclops in kanga era, 3 were on trick room teams, which naturally have the bulk to check kanga.

It wont restrict teambuilding on more standard team which pack lando-t and top ect or trick room teams who have cress or dusclops but will affect teams with less used mons. One of my suspect team would be semi-recked by kanga and that has pokes likes zygarde.

I know i suck at getting my point across, but i have seen much more of a variety of pokes is the suspect ladder, even though they are lower tier pokes. A trick room bouffalant nearly destroyed me and i have a scrafty (head smash i very stronk, doesnt help that i forgot about sap sipper). I prefer seeing more pokes in the meta even if they are not as good. (the argument makes sense in my head)
Why are you talking about b-c ranks? Why not talking about S-A ranks? You also forgot rachi and keldeo

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have found an argument which brings me on to the pro-ban side of kanga and has destroyed my con-ban argument. It restricts team building, i know i have said 'thats not a problem, its checks have other niches and are highly used' - thats the exact reason why i think its broken; it stops people from using less used pokes with smaller, but nice niches. I would rather have a slightly more balanced meta with a higher range of pokes than an ever so slightly less balanced which allows one more poke in (stone) but has a much less range of pokes. Why use doe-a if it gets shat on by kanga? might as well use landorus-t over landorus-i because it beats kanga . better. I know these arent the best of examples but you should get the general message; kanga stops the usage of lower tier, but decently niche mons, eg deo-a. Most people have been replacing mega kahn on there team with megacham, nape or even mienshoa, these are somewhat eclipsed by kahn, worse bulk, weaker fake outs, unable to settup, some dont have reliable stabs, others dont have the raw power.
It is not our mission to dumb down the power level of Doubles so UU mons can shine - we have Doubles UU for that. In addition, our metagame is already diverse, where less used mons can kick butt. Overcentralization is NOT an issue for Doubles. If you check last month's stats, we have 57 mons above the UU cutoff and there are only 5 Pokemon above 10% usage. Doubles is the most decentralized and diverse metagame Smogon has to offer. Mega K has failed to overcentralize Doubles around itself
Yes you can outplay can, but you need to outplay more than the kahn user as Pup is a guarantied boost and will-o-wisp/close combats are predictable.
You really should read Nollan's response, because it's spot-on:

"...play a really good player with Kangaskhan and try not to think all day long about who he might Protect with, whether PuP will actually accomplish something (maybe you should try Return instead?) or whether he'll attack so Sucker Punch will successful hit (and there's more). I've said this three times now, Kangaskhan creates mind games that work against you just as much as they work for you."​
Again, you're completely wrong about our metagame being overcentralized by Kanga, because the metagame is diverse and balanced. Mega Cham is bad NOT because of Mega Kangaskhan's presence, but because it is 1) frail, 2) not fast, 3) vulnerable to speed control without any strong priority, and 4) gets walled by Cresselia. Banning Kangaskhan wont miraculously make Mega Cham good in Doubles.

Anty

let's drop
Ok, i see that my arguments have had a lot of responce...
Firstly, i know megacham is viable with kanga meta, but imo it is a bit eclipsed by kanga. What i tried to say about it got misunderstood, and i apologise for my unclearness. i regret typing that.
Secondly, this is just my opinion, bur from what i have seen the nonkanga meta is more diversed, which is much better imo as sometimes it is fun to play less standard. The suspect ladder has been much funner as previously my kanga would put in a lot of work, but now i am finding i need to predict more rather than 2hko'ing most of the meta
Thirdly, i do agree with nolans power up punch argument.

Ive just been having more fun in a no kanga environment and only after playing without kanga i have seen how good and how nice it is, it feels much better knowing you still have your kangaskahn that can come in, and fake out/double edge or return. I am still pretty much on the fence, although i am slightly pro ban,
i hope i have cleared anything that is unclear in my argument

Mega Cham is bad NOT because of Mega Kangaskhan's presence, but because it is 1) frail, 2) not fast, 3) vulnerable to speed control without any strong priority, and 4) gets walled by Cresselia. Banning Kangaskhan wont miraculously make Mega Cham good in Doubles.
While not largely relevant I do disagree with the assessment of Medicham here.

I think Medicham-Mega is a very good (and underrated at that) choice the right team. Ice Punch OHKOs Lando-T after Intimidate. With Drain Punch, it can OHKO Mega-Khan itself, as well as Bisharp and Heatran (this is all assuming Jolly nature as well). Rotom-W cannot switch into it very safely since Drain Punch can always 2HKO a 252 / 0 variant when factoring in Sitrus Berry. It even has some nice support moves like Quick Guard, Helping Hand, Dual Screens, and Feint. Yeah its frail, but it has some pretty nice niches. Definitely not "bad" at all.

Well that was fun. Reqs in under an hour. 10th on ladder by just opening 5 battles and clicking Heat Wave spam on all of them.

The ladder is less desirable without Kanga BECAUSE Kanga is so strong. 90% of the ladder you can just steamroll through, so if you give them an easy to use weapon like Kanga it will present more of a challenge and be more fun. Heck, it would probably be a lot more entertaining to go up against Arceus on the ladder, so I don't think how fun the ladder is will be a good measure.
I don't have much to add after the test besides the fact that my old ladder team has a much easier time without Kanga because it is super HO to the point where Sucker Punch and Fake Out scare it. Charizard is a crazy powerful choice right now.

Braverius

snowls
is a Past SPL Champion
Alright, since I promised Pwne I would post...

First, I have to put this in every suspect post that I make, because I think people trying to say there's a certain way things SHOULD BE in a format and implying there's no opinion involved are horribly misinformed, and it happens in every single suspect discussion I've read on this site. Suspect testing is a way to do more than just visualize how things would be with or without something in the format. It tells us what the majority of the involved and knowledgeable community would prefer to have in their format based on their opinion, whatever that may be based on. There is nothing that defines "competitive balance", each player has their own preference of what they'd like to see more or less of.

tl;dr we are not fucking robots, we have different ways of enjoying the game, use this thread to get a better understanding of each perspective to make a more educated suspect vote.

And now, for the topic at hand...

On the subject of Kangaskhan, at first I was actually sort of surprised it was brought up for suspect testing before a few other things in the format (Landorus-T anyone?) due to it not actually being that big of an issue as far as dealing with goes from the outside looking in. However, I do understand this coming up because of how people in this community prefer to play the game. There was a running joke for a while that every non-VGC Doubles player was born with a need to use Cresselia and Substitute Heatran. As much of a joke as it was, well, those two Pokemon kind of defined this format because a lot of players did use that combo extremely effectively in 2013. However, with Mega Kangaskhan and its mega pals coming in, things are going to change.

So, what does this mean? Well, to put it bluntly, I don't think Kangaskhan is overpowered; I think that people are not wanting to adapt and learn to play differently than last year. Kangaskhan punishes passive, slow-moving teams such as Cresselia + Heatran cores and bulky Pokemon that were meant to deal with a Special Attacking meta. The Mega Evolutions have brought a bit more of a physical balance, and with people still stuck on using 2013 concepts that are more built around taking Dragon Gem Dracos and Electric Gem Thunderbolts, it's prone to give Kangaskhan a window of opportunity to, well, SHIT ALL OVER EVERYTHING.

I think most of the people arguing that Kangaskhan is overpowered began playing competitive doubles in 2013 and were raised in that era. That's not a bad thing at all, and I don't think we should be outright lambasting people for being newer or being more familiar with a different style of play. However, to the people who fit into that category, try learning from people who have played in more fast-paced formats and see what you can pick up that could help you in the Kanga minefield that apparently is currently Doubles. I promise you that it is beatable, and I promise you that it is balanced. I can't guarantee that you will enjoy playing that style to beat the new threats, and if you really don't enjoy it and have given it a really good shot, then so be it. Vote to ban Kangaskhanite. That's a completely respectable stance. However, don't simply give in because you haven't learned. Take the time, put in the work, and see if you can get a knack for playing more up-tempo.

I think we have not given Kangaskhan enough time. The metagame has only been stable for 2-3 months. It's beatable in VGC with a lot less options. On a personal note, it's never given me an issue playing against it, and I've never felt like it was unbelievably broken while using it. The meta may have to shift ever so slightly to beat it, and people will have to play slightly differently to get around it, but there is a way the meta can shift and be very balanced with Kangaskhan in the format. Whether or not you enjoy that shift is up to you; that is what you are going to be voting on. Try to educate yourself as much as possible before the vote, though, so we get the most accurate community vote possible. If that leads to Kangaskhanite being banned, so be it, but I feel like if people give it a little more of an effort, it won't end up being a big deal.

I don't want to impose my opinion too much as I don't want to scare away any conflicting thoughts (which I'm open to hearing of course), but I do want to state this coming from someone who has to deal with this Pokemon in VGC and absolutely drools at the thought of having things like Terrakion, Jellicent, Landorus-T, and Togekiss to help deal with it, all of which are very usable Pokemon regardless (and all of them do relatively well against a lot of other megas as well.) I don't have a wealth of experience laddering against it, but in SPL it was not an issue for me and that hasn't changed much whenever I've played on ladder between then and now.

ok so i think i need to post here now.

i am going to vote to ban kanga (and i have been playing dubs since before 2013 Braverius) since i feel that while it has a list of checks/counters, it is a limited one and all of the pokes on the list can be most defintely handled.

when you look at other megas, you see that lots of them have many more ways to be beaten than kanga. i think many people put it on their teams not only because they gain a lot of offensive power and support (char y is also very powerful and provides sun support) but also because they lose the least from it. while charizard y is weak to a whole playstyle (rain) as well as the common rock and electric types; and mega gard is weak to ghost, poison, steel; kangaskhan is weak to fighting. thats it. it provides support, power and only one weakness with one immunity (ghost being a very potent attacking type with steel nerf) and great bulk.

i also believe that kanga restricts teammbuilding, but to a very small extent. most of the pokes that counter /check kanga are good anyway and people can get away with using their old teams on the ladder still. however, in the kanga metagame, i felt the need to run 2 intimidators in every team and a will o wisper just to never lose to kanga. i do not buy that intimidate alone can stop kanga, because on the turn you switch in on kanga to get it to -1, kanga has PuP'ed to +1 and can hit something for stupid damage. without kanga, no other physical attacker demands that level of attack drop to be handled. scizor loses to a WoW and terrakion is walled by lando t at -1.

finally, i have no idea if this is an argument anymore, but kanga is not at all predictable. it can run the standard fake out/return/sucker punch/PuP, or it can run nollans set which includes protect and ice punch for lando. body slam is an option (extremely annoying) to para something. double edge screws the pokes that are ev'd to live return. fire punch rapes ferrothorn/scizor. hell, it can even go trick room mode and run hammer arm over PuP to get to -2. an effective strategy because with brave nature and 0 speed ivs, kanga underspeeds base 50 pokes after hammer arm. this makes kanga in now way easy to beat and you never know what you might see on each different kanga.

Fangame10

DOU Master of Snow-based Trick Room teams
is a Tiering Contributor
Kanga imo is indeed a powerful pokemon, a single return can knock out most pokemon that don't resist. and it also just makes focus sash useless making pokemon like Espeon and deoxsy (all except for D) at it's mercy. though there are plentiful counters to it (ie: intimidate, wil-o-wisp, that one guy who puts ion deluge on his ampharos >.>...<.<) As I feel that these counters though apply to all physical attackers as well so those aren't really counters. also Kanga's ridiculous bulk and power outshines any other physical attacker. so imo, it's like an Uber pokemon, Stronger than other pokemon naturally without many drawbacks (at least mawile has 55 speed and low defense) and I mean...at least Lugia has low attack stats :/. so I think it should be Ubered because of this reason.

when you look at other megas, you see that lots of them have many more ways to be beaten than kanga. i think many people put it on their teams not only because they gain a lot of offensive power and support (char y is also very powerful and provides sun support) but also because they lose the least from it. while charizard y is weak to a whole playstyle (rain) as well as the common rock and electric types; and mega gard is weak to ghost, poison, steel; kangaskhan is weak to fighting. thats it. it provides support, power and only one weakness with one immunity (ghost being a very potent attacking type with steel nerf) and great bulk.

i also believe that kanga restricts teammbuilding, but to a very small extent. most of the pokes that counter /check kanga are good anyway and people can get away with using their old teams on the ladder still. however, in the kanga metagame, i felt the need to run 2 intimidators in every team and a will o wisper just to never lose to kanga. i do not buy that intimidate alone can stop kanga, because on the turn you switch in on kanga to get it to -1, kanga has PuP'ed to +1 and can hit something for stupid damage. without kanga, no other physical attacker demands that level of attack drop to be handled. scizor loses to a WoW and terrakion is walled by lando t at -1.

finally, i have no idea if this is an argument anymore, but kanga is not at all predictable. it can run the standard fake out/return/sucker punch/PuP, or it can run nollans set which includes protect and ice punch for lando. body slam is an option (extremely annoying) to para something. double edge screwsruins the pokes that are ev'd to live return. fire punch rapesbeats ferrothorn/scizor. hell, it can even go trick room mode and run hammer arm over PuP to get to -2. an effective strategy because with brave nature and 0 speed ivs, kanga underspeeds base 50 pokes after hammer arm. this makes kanga in no way easy to beat and you never know what you might see on each different kanga.
This is probably one of the best (if not the best) arguments I have seen against Kanga so far in this thread, and it makes a few very solid points. I definitely admit after a good few posts that (in my eyes) basically kept repeating the same arguments along the lines of "Kanga is overused" and what not (arguments I personally didn't think made any actual points about why Kangaskhan ought to be banned), I was more or less set on "let's not ban this and get it over with already". This post has made me reconsider that somewhat.

It is very true that outright KOing other Mega-Pokemon is easier, because they have a more wide array of weaknesses defensively. This can make Kangaskhan very dangerous from a support perspective (sweeping not so much given it can be walled by Ghosts, bar giving up its precious Sucker Punch for Crunch), as it can keep those Fake Outs coming for much longer then Hitmontop or Medicham-Mega could, for instance. This also makes it very good at chipping away at things, as bar Ghost-types and Ferrothorn (probably a few others) Return is going to rack up a respectable amount of damage at least. I do think it is worth noting it lacks resistances as well (reasonably harder to switch in repeatedly) and it STAB lacks super-effective coverage. Still, Kanga's job isn't usually to sweep through entire teams (which a lot of people seem to think; though maybe it does sweep teams and I just haven't payed enough attention), it is typically to provide Fake Out support and rack up heavy damage (and pick off things w/ Sucker Punch), so this trade-off definitely works in Kangaskhan-Mega's favor. At the same time the one type it is weak to happens to be very good in the Doubles metagame (and anyone coming from a Gen V standpoint knows this was true before Kangaskhan came into play) so there's always that to consider.

While this next "restricts teambuilding" argument is nothing new, with the argument prior to it, it actually makes a bit more sense. Since Kanga can typically last for awhile it can rack up damage against said checks (bar Ghost-types bar Crunch), which means if it can repeatedly nail those checks on the switch in, you're going to need more. At the same time this does apply to a lot of things, but I personally see it being a bit more notable for Kangaskhan due to that ability to stay alive longer and the raw power of Return. I definitely wouldn't agree that it requires two WoWs and Intimidate to consistently beat with solid play, but I do think we can agree things like Lando-T and Rotom-W might not be quite as high up there (Landorus-T was used 39 times, or on 43% of all teams, in SPL for instance) in terms of usage if Kanga wasn't around. Sure they'd probably still be at the top of the usage stats, but they'd definitely not be as necessary for a given team (not to say other things can't check Kangaskhan, but these two have a habit of being frequent choices that can slow it down), which I can agree limits teambuilding at a small margin.

This last argument is sensible as well. While we can all agree that if the opponent always knew Kanga's set, the standard moveset would be the optimal choice. However, the surprise value that unusual sets can come with allow Kanga to typically pick up unexpected KOs when played right. Even Protect preys on the fact that people will double target Kangaskhan with the assumption it won't have Protect. You can mindlessly switch a Ghost-type in and get caught by an unexpected Crunch. Imo, this is the best argument of the three AuraRayquaza mentions.

I also think a reason as to why someone should (in a sense of "if they are voting to ban it this would be why", not "everyone should vote to ban Kanga because of this") be voting to ban Kangaskhan is the concept of Fake Out + Power-Up Punch. A play I have never seen anyone in the Smogon Doubles community make is to Power-Up Punch their partner on Kanga's first turn on the field. The concept behind this is that Fake Out will almost always provoke a Protect, double Protect or switch (back in Gen V I saw double Protects a lot and still do in SmogDubs to be honest). Power-Up Punching your partner allows you to avoid any Protect mind games whatsoever and get a +2 boost. If they double Protect (or Protect + switch) they are almost guarenteed to lose something to one of Kanga's attacks, if they Protect with one Pokemon and attack Kanga with the other its not usually going to work out for you all that well. It's risky and its bold, but it does a great job when utilized properly. It also removes almost any "safe play" from the opponent's realm of possibility. This is basically saying that Kangaskhan can limit your safe options on its first turn on the field to more or less 0, with a few exceptions. I've said the mind games go back to the Kangaskhan player as well, but it remains true that they will usually have a "safe" option that you won't have turn 1, which does give them a slight advantage. I definitely think everyone who ends up voting should keep these four arguments in mind when doing so.

Kanga imo is indeed a powerful pokemon, a single return can knock out most pokemon that don't resist. and it also just makes focus sash useless making pokemon like Espeon and deoxsy (all except for D) at it's mercy. though there are plentiful counters to it (ie: intimidate, wil-o-wisp, that one guy who puts ion deluge on his ampharos >.>...<.<) As I feel that these counters though apply to all physical attackers as well so those aren't really counters. also Kanga's ridiculous bulk and power outshines any other physical attacker. so imo, it's like an Uber pokemon, Stronger than other pokemon naturally without many drawbacks (at least mawile has 55 speed and low defense) and I mean...at least Lugia has low attack stats :/. so I think it should be Ubered because of this reason.
I probably wouldn't reply to this (given I've already made my point on a lot of these arguments already) if it weren't for the fact I can see a lot of people thinking "oh Nollan agrees w/ AuraRayquaza's post, so he must agree with this as well (I also don't completely agree with AuraRayquaza's post as a disclaimer, I just think his points are a lot more thought out and reinforced then most I've seen, which I like)".

Let me be clear, Return is not a OHKO move (252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 253-298 (83.2 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). It hits nothing for x2 damage, and will only outright OHKO frail Pokemon that in most cases shouldn't be used without Follow Me support, if used at all (with the exception of high speed which is the typical reason to justify the use of frailer Pokemon). Its great at nabbing 2HKOs on things that don't resist it, but that remains true for Terrakion's Close Combat, Heatran's Eruption, Mega Blastoise's Water Spout, Skymin's Seed Flare, etc. Additionally, punishing the use of frail Pokemon regardless of whether they are Sashed is (in my eyes) nothing overpowered in any way. Doubles is a metagame with speed control, priority, and so on all over the place. Frail Pokemon typically are not effective in Doubles and those that are need a fairly large amount of support to work.

This is basically amounts to "things that counter it counter everything like it so they don't counter it" (unless it was misworded in which case my apologies). Yeah they still counter it =/

Its bulky yeah, it has power yeah, but it lacks both super-effective coverage and resistances. Beside that point, it is a Mega Pokemon. This means it can't have an item. Scarf Kyogre, for instance, I see as far more potent if it were in the standard Doubles metagame than Kangaskhan would ever be (normal Kyogre too for that matter). I also think you can't really compare Kangaskhan to Lugia, as they fulfill completely different roles on a team. "Stronger than any other Pokemon naturally" is fairly inaccurate as well. People have said this before, but I definitely find myself much more concerned as to whether I have a good Heatran, Lando-T, or Rotom check when teambuilding than Kangaskhan. If Kanga was naturally stronger this wouldn't be the case.

So much to read Nollan! its nice to see that my points are being acknowledged.

I also think a reason as to why someone should (in a sense of "if they are voting to ban it this would be why", not "everyone should vote to ban Kanga because of this") be voting to ban Kangaskhan is the concept of Fake Out + Power-Up Punch. A play I have never seen anyone in the Smogon Doubles community make is to Power-Up Punch their partner on Kanga's first turn on the field. The concept behind this is that Fake Out will almost always provoke a Protect, double Protect or switch (back in Gen V I saw double Protects a lot and still do in SmogDubs to be honest). Power-Up Punching your partner allows you to avoid any Protect mind games whatsoever and get a +2 boost. If they double Protect (or Protect + switch) they are almost guarenteed to lose something to one of Kanga's attacks, if they Protect with one Pokemon and attack Kanga with the other its not usually going to work out for you all that well. It's risky and its bold, but it does a great job when utilized properly. It also removes almost any "safe play" from the opponent's realm of possibility. This is basically saying that Kangaskhan can limit your safe options on its first turn on the field to more or less 0, with a few exceptions. I've said the mind games go back to the Kangaskhan player as well, but it remains true that they will usually have a "safe" option that you won't have turn 1, which does give them a slight advantage. I definitely think everyone who ends up voting should keep these four arguments in mind when doing so.
i agree that PuP'ing your partner is a very potent strategy when it pays off, as it forces the opponent to choose which poke to sack. it also makes sucker punch much more reliable, as kanga has a tendency not to be left alone at +2. i think the reason it is never seen/has never been done is because of the risk factor associated with it. At higher level play, i dont think the opponent would double protect on a fake out, when they could predict the poke that you want to fake out and hit kanga with the other poke. this would then leave a weakened kanga, a weakened ally who has just been used to boost, and 2 full health opposing pokes.

Braverius

snowls
is a Past SPL Champion
(and i have been playing dubs since before 2013 Braverius)
I read this and was like OH GOD HERE WE GO
(doubles was "official" sometime in early 2013)

since i feel that while it has a list of checks/counters, it is a limited one and all of the pokes on the list can be most defintely handled.

finally, i have no idea if this is an argument anymore, but kanga is not at all predictable. it can run the standard fake out/return/sucker punch/PuP, or it can run nollans set which includes protect and ice punch for lando. body slam is an option (extremely annoying) to para something. double edge screws the pokes that are ev'd to live return. fire punch rapes ferrothorn/scizor. hell, it can even go trick room mode and run hammer arm over PuP to get to -2. an effective strategy because with brave nature and 0 speed ivs, kanga underspeeds base 50 pokes after hammer arm. this makes kanga in now way easy to beat and you never know what you might see on each different kanga.
And then I read this and was actually also pleased with your argument, even though I may not completely agree with it. I have class in 20 minutes so I'm not going to elaborate as much as Nollan did (and I'd pretty much be saying the same thing anyways), but something that caught my eye was this part of it:

Something I definitely didn't catch myself doing right away but realize now is that while Kangaskhan is very good in VGC, it does not have the plethora of options that it does in Doubles. Body Slam and Ice Punch are not available, and both would greatly change the landscape of it in VGC (Ice Punch in particular would be stupid broken good).

On the part that I bolded, though, I think that it's also important to think through why you think that's a good or bad thing for the format. Is diversity good, or does the surprise factor that comes with it offset it too much? I think the most consistent way to run Kangaskhan is going to be PuP / Return / Sucker Punch / filler regardless of the circumstances, but the alternative ways it can be run, if seen a lot, make this a valid reason for wanting to ban it if you don't really like the idea of dealing with 8 different types of the same Pokemon.

Though, there is one thing that I think sort of supports the suggestion that I made above to try playing more fast-paced:

i also believe that kanga restricts teammbuilding, but to a very small extent. most of the pokes that counter /check kanga are good anyway and people can get away with using their old teams on the ladder still. however, in the kanga metagame, i felt the need to run 2 intimidators in every team and a will o wisper just to never lose to kanga.

i do not buy that intimidate alone can stop kanga, because on the turn you switch in on kanga to get it to -1, kanga has PuP'ed to +1 and can hit something for stupid damage. without kanga, no other physical attacker demands that level of attack drop to be handled. scizor loses to a WoW and terrakion is walled by lando t at -1.
The first bolded part really stuck out to me. You were trying to not lose to Kangaskhan, and although I understand that wording has to be taken with a grain of salt, you said it pretty much how everyone is playing it. "Not lose" is not the same as "curbstomp" or "effectively deal with". I think the mindset of "control the field passively" is good in certain formats and metagames, but right now it is definitely not appropriate.

I do respect, however, that you have realized this and noticed how things that are supposed to "counter" Kangaskhan really do not do that at all. WoW is useless after Kanga PuPs, so it only grants you one turn. Intimidate is honestly only a very short-term answer to it. You have to have immediate answers at hand that can deal significant damage to Kangaskhan and pressure it immensely (i.e. Terrakion, Keldeo, Lucario, Conkeldurr, any Ghost type, Mawile, DD / SD setup + redirection, hard offensive rain). The current way of dealing with problems doesn't work for Kangaskhan, and when people realize even the things that are supposed to "check" Kangaskhan aren't working, it's sort of hard to visualize anything else.

Also stealing this and applying it to my post as well even if the context is wonky because this is gr8, thanks Nollan:
I can see a lot of people thinking "oh Nollan agrees w/ AuraRayquaza's post, so he must agree with this as well (I also don't completely agree with AuraRayquaza's post as a disclaimer, I just think his points are a lot more thought out and reinforced then most I've seen, which I like)"

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
On the topic of Kanga being more versatile than it gets credit for, I'd been using a team with Drain Punch Kanga for a while and LOVING the recovery. People frequently think they can just wear Kanga down with a few neutral hits, but Drain Punch Kanga makes that a lot harder, almost forcing Will-o-Wisp or something like Terrakion in order to take it down efficiently.

Even within the expected coverage Kanga typically covers (Normal, Fighting, Dark) it has options that cover different things. Crunch does what Sucker Punch can't, while Hammer Arm and Drain Punch are great options if you don't want PuP. Even Body Slam is great. Then you get to things like Ice Punch and you realize that saying Kanga has merely one set is just an observation of lazy people who C/P the set from memory and never try new things.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, Mega Kangaskhan has other options, we can all agree on that. However, these "other options" can only be used if Mega Kangaskhan forfeits one of its already-standard attacks, and this often creates more holes in its defenses than it covers. Mega Kangaskhan really relies on every single one of its coverage moves to help it cover a large group of possible opponents- and that's what makes it so powerful. Power Up Punch is pretty necessary for Mega Kangaskhan to muscle past defensive teams by threatening to set up on them. Sucker Punch is needed to let it check frailer, faster glass cannons that would be able to check it very quickly otherwise. And there is no way Return is ever going to swapped out unless it's replaced by a different STAB attack. Removing any one of Mega Kangaskhan's coverage moves forces it to lose against a whole group of possible opponents at once. Sure, you can run Ice Punch to cross Landorus-T off of the counter list, but then you have to swap out PuP or Sucker Punch. To prevent Mega Kangaskhan from being worn down too quickly, you very well could use Drain Punch or Hammer Arm, but then you'll hit a flat tire against more defensive teams that don't mind MK sticking around for a while as long as it can't boost its power.

The "it can just use coverage" argument to try to prove that Mega Kangaskhan can muscle past its counters is not very valid. Yes, it can pull out attacks from its wide movepool, but doing so will force it to let go of the ability to counter a whole lot of other things. You can't say that Mega Kangaskhan has a shorter list of counters just because "it can use Ice Punch to beat Landorus-T" and "it can use Drain Punch to prevent itself from being worn down". Having the ability to do this is one of the many things that make Mega Kangaskhan powerful, but that doesn't make it broken, and there is no way it can ever run a set that covers all or even most of its counters at once. Its 4MSS restricts it quite a lot, so let's not forget that.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm just going to post short about how to effectively counter kangaskhan (btw im still on the undecided part about kanga)

Intimidate is a terribly overrated way of "countering" Kangaskhan. Seriously, if you think that you can complain about how broken Kangaskhan is because it killed half of your team - with Landorus-T on it - then you're wrong in every way possible. Even double intimidate can't really completely stop Kangaskhan, because you just wasted your turn switching while Kangaskhan literally gets back up straight away with a PuP, while it's partner's spot has a completely free turn. This also gets completely DESTRUCTED by Kangas + Bisharp so don't be using Intimidate for the sole purpose of countering Kangaskhan.

Will-O-Wisp is only really a counter if it's on a Ghost-type, and it's generally a move that is only run by a few Ghosts and Rotom-W/H, so not really that common (definitely not as common as intimidate), and rotoms get destructed by chip dmg + return.

General offensive pressure is the best way to keep in in check and keep it from setting up. Teams packed with Charizards and Latios (powerhouses) will force it to choose which one to target, and fall to the other; plus the musketeers (terrak, keldeo) are the best at this, since they do super effective stab dmg :)

Ghosts with WoW or Sub are huge counters, and pretty much the only complete surefire completely COUNTERS (not the only checks, duh) The most notable one is definitely Mega Gengar – because if you have it trapped, burned, and unable to use PuP very easily, then Kanga just becomes a complete liability.

REAL LIFE REPLAY OF WHAT I JUST SAID =]

Last edited:
I'm just going to post short about how to effectively counter kangaskhan (btw im still on the undecided part about kanga)

Intimidate is a terribly overrated way of "countering" Kangaskhan. Seriously, if you think that you can complain about how broken Kangaskhan is because it killed half of your team - with Landorus-T on it - then you're wrong in every way possible. Even double intimidate can't really completely stop Kangaskhan, because you just wasted your turn switching while Kangaskhan literally gets back up straight away with a PuP, while it's partner's spot has a completely free turn. This also gets completely DESTRUCTED by Kangas + Bisharp so don't be using Intimidate for the sole purpose of countering Kangaskhan.

Will-O-Wisp is only really a counter if it's on a Ghost-type, and it's generally a move that is only run by a few Ghosts and Rotom-W/H, so not really that common (definitely not as common as intimidate), and rotoms get destructed by chip dmg + return.

General offensive pressure is the best way to keep in in check and keep it from setting up. Teams packed with Charizards and Latios (powerhouses) will force it to choose which one to target, and fall to the other; plus the musketeers (terrak, keldeo) are the best at this, since they do super effective stab dmg :)

Ghosts with WoW or Sub are huge counters, and pretty much the only complete surefire completely COUNTERS (not the only checks, duh) The most notable one is definitely Mega Gengar – because if you have it trapped, burned, and unable to use PuP very easily, then Kanga just becomes a complete liability.

REAL LIFE REPLAY OF WHAT I JUST SAID =]
What you countered was a weak player on autopilot. Will-o-wisp only checks Kangaskhan's without Seismic Toss, +2 after Power-up Punch nullifies the damage reduction of burn status anyway.

A scary Kangaroo is one that is more concerned with abusing that absurd Fake Out, patiently waiting until mid-late game to get it poppin'.

It's even ironic that the pokemon that can comfortably OHKO Kangaskhan are actually frightened by more pokemon than they threaten.

What you countered was a weak player on autopilot. Will-o-wisp only checks Kangaskhan's without Seismic Toss, +2 after Power-up Punch nullifies the damage reduction of burn status anyway.

A scary Kangaroo is one that is more concerned with abusing that absurd Fake Out, patiently waiting until mid-late game to get it poppin'.

It's even ironic that the pokemon that can comfortably OHKO Kangaskhan are actually frightened by more pokemon than they threaten.
Seismic Toss Khan is p bad. Yes I know it like 2HKOs everything with Parental Bond but 99% of the time forgoing a coverage move for Seismic Toss sucks. :(

Also how is something like Terrak frightened by more Pokemon than Pokemon they threaten....

Last edited:
I would just like to say this: Mega-Kangaskhan is not an overpowered Pokémon, much to the dismay of a large number of Doubles players. Although MegaMom has only a Fighting-type weakness and is very versatile, there are numerous ways to counter her effectively. Referring to what Laga said earlier about Ghost-types with Substitute, I believe Substitute Aegislash is absolutely the best counter to Mega-Kangaskhan; it evades an incoming Sucker Punch while putting up a decoy, and can proceed to take out Mega-Kangaskhan with STAB Flash Cannon or Sacred Sword. Even in the rare occasion she is carrying Crunch, Aegislash always the opportunity to use King's Shield to protect itself and cripple MegaMom's offensive efficiency. Heck, even Mega-Mawile couldn't do crap to Sub Aegislash.

I'd also like to note that in my opinion, using T-Wave on Kanga is much more effective when compared to Will-O-Wisp. The reason for this being that one PuP can nullify the attack drop and proceed to deal significant damage once again. A paralyzed Mega-Kanga on the other hand loses its ability to outspeed the majority of the Pokémon in the Smogon Doubles metagame, not to mention a 25% chance of not attacking. Even without the paralysis, common threats such as Terrakion and even Keldeo mentioned makes for an easy counter to Mega-Kang, outspeeding and defeating her with STAB Fighting-type moves in Close Combat and Sacred Sword.

Finally, removing Kangaskhan from the ladder very minimally increased diversity. Most players, if not all, simply replaced her with another Mega-Evolution such as Mega-Medicham who also provides Fake Out support. Yes, people can argue Mega-Kangaskhan can virtually fit onto any team and thrive, but I could say the same thing about Cresselia as she can function in many different types of teams as well. The argument of banning Kangaskhan is based on a player's preference or their personal benefit in terms of winning with or without her.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)