Doubles Stage 3 — Suspect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
All right, I've been keeping out of this thread because I wanted to see if anyone could convince me to vote to ban (coming from an originally strong anti-ban position) without my yelling at them. This is what I'd like to say; the reality is that I have been distracted time and again from posting here by a variety of circumstances. That being said, the suspect test is wrapping up, so now is a good time to post my thoughts. This will get comprehensive so buckle your tldr seatbelts.

The first thing I want to address is the idea of alternative movesets on Kangaskhan. I don't think this can be put any better than Lolk said it. Go ahead and deviate from the standard set! Your kanga will not be as effective. Let's stop this silly "unless it runs crunch" hedging we're doing in our posts. If your opponent's kanga drops sucker punch or pup, it's simply a waste of a mega slot. If we want kangaskhan to be broken, you must convince me that the main set is broken. Any other set is nothing more than a lure—effective, perhaps, at securing certain one for one trades, but not much beyond that. The argument "threat of x is almost as good as x" is one i've personally tested many times, and each time found that it seems to almost hold water until you need x to win a game and don't have it, which happens way too often.

So let's evaluate the main set. Some people argue that it's too hard to bring answers to Kangaskhan. There are so many answers, as have already been covered by others, that I can't even this.

And it's clear that it doesn't have much effect on the overall shape of the metagame. The suspect ladder saw the same trends as the current ladder, and anyone who says otherwise is just fishing for things. SPL saw both Rain and Sun teams at over 10% usage; the ladder is just finally catching up. And to all the people saying that only offense can handle mega kangaskhan: um no?? Defensive teams have plenty of their own answers to Kanga. Rotom-W, Jellicent can burn it, Ferrothorn can chip away till it dies, Amoonguss can redirect its attacks or sleep it, Scizor and Mawile can both 2HKO and take little themselves. Jirachi absolutely manhandles its every option. There's a boatload of Intimidate users that fit on defensive teams (notably Landorus-T which fits on basically any team). And as some have said, Intimidate is not the ineffective answer others have painted it as. Unless your poke on the field can't do dick shit to Kangaskhan, intimidate buys you a free turn vs it, since -1 pup is piss weak, as well as reducing kanga's sucker from strong enough to ohko frail things at +2 to only ohkoes when SE at +1. Anything short of full-blown stall can handle Kangaskhan just fine. When it comes to defense, Charizard (both x and y) is actually the biggest threat it faces; Kangaskhan is small potatoes by comparison, and easily covered on accident.

One particularly insane argument worth addressing is AuraRayquaza's here and ones like it:
I dont particularly think mega kanga can be compared to other megas in what it provides for a team. Yes kanga provides immense offensive pressure like some other megas, but kanga provides fake out support, unlike any other mega bar the painfully frail mega medicham, on top of that.

Like i said in an earlier post, while char y has drought and a super strong heat wave, and garde has a spread hypee voice to boast. I believe kanga is better than other megas because players have the least to use by using it. Char y brings rock, electric and water (ish) weaknesses, and garde brings ghost, poison and steel weaknesses. They may bring resists, but kanga only has one weakness, and fighting has never been the hardest type to pack a resist of two for.
Basically, he states that Mega Kangaskhan is the best Mega Pokemon and should be used on most teams, and thus is overcentralizing. This is pretty flawed logic when it comes to teambuilding as a whole. It comes down to the idea of team support; a Pokemon with two effective weaknesses like Charizard (rock and electric) and six resistances (steel, bug, fire, fighting, ground, grass) can actually switch into a lot more things and threaten them than a Pokemon with one weakness (fighting) and effectively no resistances (all ghost types save aegislash carry Wisp, so...). This ability to switch in and threaten allows you to actually cover specific threats and build a solid mesh of Pokemon that back each other up instead of Kangaskhan's nebulous promise of "doing something." Yes, Kangaskhan's sole weakness is easier to cover than Charizard's two. But at the downside of being easy to support, he provides little support of his own. (As a side note, support is judged by a lot more than supportive moves, and I have better things for my Mega Pokemon to be doing than giving me Fake Out, a move which it hardly matters if it's being used by Kangaskhan or Magikarp).

In short: kangaskhan is not difficult to prepare for, it does not affect the metagame in any significant way, and it is not a Pokemon that should be run on every (or even most) teams. As a side note, I once replaced Mega Scizor on my RMT archived team with Mega Kangaskhan. I found that it greatly hurt the team to lose scizor's bulk; kanga simply could not switch in on anything.

That being said, there is still one additional facet to kangaskhan, which is its effect on actual battles. This is the only leg on which the pro-ban side can stand at all. Kangaskhan can often take a major role in setting the pace of the match until it is crippled (slept, burnt, paralyzed, or dropped to low hp). (Actually, I think this point is overexaggerated by most pro-ban users. +2 Kangaskhan is not so immediately game-ending that I feel pressured into running my strongest anti-kanga lead if it is not the overall best lead. I'd be an idiot to ignore it—but it's hardly impossible to stop). Once it has set up, it becomes the immediate priority. And with proper support, it can be very difficult to take down. However, some people are acting as if this is a trait unique to Kangaskhan, when in fact it is literally just a basic description of a set-up sweeper. Could not the same traits be ascribed to Zard X or Megabus (BellyJet Azu, for the uninitiated)? The opportunity cost of running a set up sweeper is always the same: centralization of win conditions. As you run more support for a sweeper, its effectiveness increases, but so does the amount riding on it not dying. This in turn means you can't harness whatever defensive traits the sweeper in question provides nearly as effectively, for fear of losing him. These two flaws have always been what kept strong setup sweepers (who would otherwise be absurdly powerful) in check. And though kanga beats doubles' other setup sweepers at game control, it falls absolutely flat in both of these categories. It struggles to do jack shit without a fair amount of support, meaning a lot of your game is riding on keeping Kangaskhan alive. And you are absolutely playing a five-mon defense when using kanga. Is Kangaskhan so successful as a setup sweeper that it deserves to be banned? I always felt that these two factors were enough to counterbalance his ability to manage the pace of the match. After the test, i still do. However, this is a subjective call, and everyone's votes will depend on their answer to that same question.

tl;dr: if this was tldr for you then just read that last paragraph

P.S. Everyone who's quoting tsunami's team, you're basically just casting your credentials into question. Shake's team will rarely beat a competent player. He himself admits that. It's a ladder team, and does not succeed in higher level play. So if you think that shake's team "does so well" then i would highly recommend facing some higher-caliber players in a battle before you vote so you can form your opinion from a non-ladder level of play.

Last edited:

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
just quickly a note for u pwnemon; the shake team reference I saw someone post was just a way of emphasising that, even if you do double target or spend the energy needed to take out Kangaskhan quickly, you can easily get fucked by a teammate (specs sylveon is a good on-paper example, but I'd say something like a Bisharp is better in practice)

and also I don't think anyone here has said that offense is the only way to beat it; just me and zach mentioning that it falls much easier to opposing offensive pressure than opposing passive play (unlike, let's say, sash terrakion which just has to switch out straight away after intimidate)

I'm still on the middle ground, and can't say if I'll make a decision before voting thread is up, but I know that if I do vote ban, It's gonna be because of the ridiculously high amount of offensive pressure it can place with use of the right teammate and prediction. If no ban it's cuz it's kinda easy to check or even counter with ghosts

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pwne's post is an awesome read - everybody should check it out. Although, he somewhat went overboard with statements such as "a 5-mon defense when using Kanga," or Kanga "doing jack shit without a fair amount of support," he does raise a good point about the need to play protectively with MK if you want to attempt a set up sweep. I also love his extensive list of checks to Kangaskhan - many people only mentioned Intimidate, Fighting-types, and Ghost-types, but let's not forget the handful of top-tier Steel-types that can put it in a rough spot (Jirachi, Ferrothorn, Escavalier/Scizor, Klefki/Mega Mawile, hell even Heatran), as well as powerful priorities that can checkmate Kangaskhan (Mach Punch, Talonflame).

People claim that there is more diversity in a ladder without Kangaskhanite, but it's not a particularly notable one that I would expect from banning an unhealthy element. When we ban an unhealthy/broken Pokemon that truly stifles the metagame, we see an expansion of viable Pokemon. I really didn't see that. What I saw instead was, "oh noes, all of my Kanga teams are unusable now, so I'm just going to swap out Kanga for <insert Fake Out user>/<insert another Pokemon that applies heavy pressure." or "fuck it, I'm just gonna use Trick Room / <insert teams without Kangaskhan>." It was as if we banned Aegislash from XY OU, and everybody was scrambling to fill this hole in their teams, or simply abandoning them. What you see isn't really "diversity," but simply people using second-rate mons to replace the top-tier mon. I guess it was good exercise for certain users to be a bit more innovative and start using teams without depending on Big Mama, but we don't ban things to stop people from using bog standard shit.

In fact, I think removing Mega Kangaskhan did more harm than good. I believe eliminating Kangaskhan hampered certain offensive teamstyles, forcing them to use subpar Fake Out / Pokemon that can apply high offensive pressure. So people are either forced to make do with this nerfed teamstyle or completely jump ship to a different playstyle like Trick Room, Sun, whatever. Eliminating Kangaskhan did not really save the viability of any particular playstyle or Pokemon, while it did end up hurting certain offensive builds that did NOT need nerfing (aka banning Kanga = doing more harm than good).

The fact that many people and I laddered successfully using the same team for both ladders is somewhat of a testament to how little Kangaskhan actually limits our metagame.

Pro-ban people mention that Kangaskhan is powerful "if you predict correctly." The quoted part is a reason why I am okay with a powerful tank/sweeper like Kangaskhan in our game. Kangaskhan requires heavy prediction, especially if it opts for Fake Out > Protect. The absence of powerful spread moves in its movepool only exacerbates this problem. Heavy prediction = inconsistent performance. Kangaskhan can Fake Out turn 1 only to have both Pokemon double Protect or have the opponent switch in a Pokemon that matches favorably against your Pokemon. Alternatively Kangaskhan can Power Up Punch, expecting Protect + switch, only to have both Pokemon double target it into the red. Kangaskhan can simply decide to throw out a powerful STAB Frustration or Double-Edge, but that can be risky for Kangaskhan and its partner, depending on who they're facing. The lack of Protect also does not help ease prediction.

We usually ban elements that give users an unfair advantage, where they can play sloppily and still be rewarded with a win, due to the intrinsically overpowered/unhealthy nature of the suspect. These uber-worthy suspects can usually spam a certain move with 0 drawbacks, without any need for prediction. If you play sloppily with Kangaskhan, it aint gonna do shit for you.

Another point that pro-ban people presented: Kangaskhan draws people's attention away from its partner and force people to double attack it; it will be applying major offensive pressure as long as it's around. Well it's really not going to stick around long, because Kangaskhan cannot evade the double attack even if it sees it coming, due to the lack of Protect. Switching Kangaskhan out poses serious risks as well, putting you in the defensive. Also I find Follow Me users, such as Togekiss, Jirachi, and Amoonguss a much worse offender of "drawing people's attention away from its partner and force people to double attack it," than Kangaskhan (and they often hold Protect to screw with you) x_x

Granted Kangaskhan can easily replace Fake Out for Protect to enhance its sweeping capabilities, but at the cost of the major momentum-grabbing utility of Fake Out. I believe the drawbacks of both deviations even themselves out.

We are still in the process of finalizing the voter pool, so now's the chance to say any last words or post if you haven't yet / haven't said enough

Last edited:
I totally aree with with what most people are saying. The only thing I disagree with is the statement that kanga can only run the standard FO/Return/PuP or Drain/Sucker. Many other sets can be used depending on your team. On TR Hammer Arm. For teams weak to burns, Facade. Just want to hit ghosts reliably, Crunch. Kanga has many options. This still doesn't change the fact that Kanga still has counters and things that stop it.

I like Protect, and use it over Sucker. I can normally do without priority and can outspeed most things. This also helps double targetting and burns. Overall, it's a good alternative

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I dont think there is much more to say. All of the pro ban arguments have been addressed. But i do disagree that the only good set it the standard one. Changing one move can be helpful, double edge can be used for power, drain punch is more reliable vs bulky steels, crunch is nice vs ghosts. But that isnt a reason to ban it, if a poke can defeat some of its best counters, fine, but if it has to loose a crucial move on its moveset which prevents it from doing the thing that makes it broken (sweeping a team), then that isnt broken. I feel that people arent realising what changing its set does, it can turn it from a sweeper, to a wall breaker. You are not sweeping much with power up punch or sucker punch, but you are breaking the walls by crunching/ice punch or double edging (those verbs tho). By adding ice punch and ko'ing lando, you are not suddenly going to sweep, you might if you had a second, standard kanga. Kanga is great at running different sets which just bait and kill certain threats, but youare not sweeping with out pup, sucker punch and return (i guess crunch could work depending of the ops team but sucker is overall better imo).
None of kangas sets are broken by themselves, unless you find a way to merge them into one, kanga is not broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)