Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
One reason is because it wouldn't be consistent. Blaziken being the only Hoenn starter to get a mega is kinda a strange move. Starters are usually equal so why does only he get the advantage? It would also be a great marketing point.
Starters are equal except when they are popular. That is the only reason Blaziken got a mega evolution and Charizard got 2.

It was never really stated where RSE and XY took place in the timeline. We can take an educated guess based on the pattern of the timeline and game releases so far, but nothing that's solid fact.

I don't think this has been discussed much, but I want to see more Friend Safaris.

Assuming Friend Safaris make a return in ORAS, whether it replaces/is an addition to the normal Safari or is its own entire thing - someone earlier mentioned Lilycove, and that's a great place to put it. The Friend Safari was probably the best thing added this generation, in terms of overworld interaction - well, okay, hordes either tie it or outright beat the FS. Regardless, it was, and still is, an amazing feature! The only immediate downsides I can think of are that you're not able to access your own FS and both parties must have beaten the game and been online at the same time at one point to unlock Hidden Abilities.

The 'mons we have available right now are [mostly] great, but several of them can be found in hordes or just plain suck... Seriously, who the hell wants a Volbeat, when Illumise is available (in hordes AND the FS)? Or Ledyba? There are several other Bug types that deserved that spot, but got screwed. Sure, it's nice to have access to hidden abilities pretty much at will, but some things just don't cut it. What the hell are you going to do with an Iron Fist Ledian? Nothing, especially with that 35 Base Attack.

With the introduction of ORAS, now would be the time to release the Johto and Unova starters. Hell, even the Hoenn and Sinnoh ones, if just for the ball combos (Repeat Ball/Quick Ball Blaziken, and Nest Ball Torterra!). What better time to release these guys than now? Sheer Force Feraligatr is so close, yet always just out of reach. As for Damp Swampert... Well... You can force out CB Self-Destruct Snorlax, I guess (yes, I know that Swampy has technically been released... I just hate GLAN events - if it even counted as one, seeing as it was an Entree 'mon).

Except there is an established time line, it goes gen 1/gen 3, gen 2/gen 4 2 years later, then gen 5 after that, and gen 6 at least 2 years later (occurs after b2w2), and they've never violated that.
You are right. Sort of. After some research, I've found that Toshinobu Matsumiya, who is a scenario writer who works for the company, has confirmed the chronological events of the games, and apparently X and Y are concurrent to Black and White 2.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/History_of_the_Pokémon_world

Oh, okay then.
Hm. Shame.

I don't think this has been discussed much, but I want to see more Friend Safaris.

Assuming Friend Safaris make a return in ORAS, whether it replaces/is an addition to the normal Safari or is its own entire thing - someone earlier mentioned Lilycove, and that's a great place to put it. The Friend Safari was probably the best thing added this generation, in terms of overworld interaction - well, okay, hordes either tie it or outright beat the FS. Regardless, it was, and still is, an amazing feature! The only immediate downsides I can think of are that you're not able to access your own FS and both parties must have beaten the game and been online at the same time at one point to unlock Hidden Abilities.

The 'mons we have available right now are [mostly] great, but several of them can be found in hordes or just plain suck... Seriously, who the hell wants a Volbeat, when Illumise is available (in hordes AND the FS)? Or Ledyba? There are several other Bug types that deserved that spot, but got screwed. Sure, it's nice to have access to hidden abilities pretty much at will, but some things just don't cut it. What the hell are you going to do with an Iron Fist Ledian? Nothing, especially with that 35 Base Attack.

With the introduction of ORAS, now would be the time to release the Johto and Unova starters. Hell, even the Hoenn and Sinnoh ones, if just for the ball combos (Repeat Ball/Quick Ball Blaziken, and Nest Ball Torterra!). What better time to release these guys than now? Sheer Force Feraligatr is so close, yet always just out of reach. As for Damp Swampert... Well... You can force out CB Self-Destruct Snorlax, I guess (yes, I know that Swampy has technically been released... I just hate GLAN events - if it even counted as one, seeing as it was an Entree 'mon).
I... started drawing up possible Pokémon for new friend safaris a while ago. I'm a nerd.

Last edited by a moderator:
One reason is because it wouldn't be consistent. Blaziken being the only Hoenn starter to get a mega is kinda a strange move. Starters are usually equal so why does only he get the advantage? It would also be a great marketing point.
But in order to be equal to blaziken, they'd have to be as freakin OP as speed boost was in game for XY, otherwise everyone would just choose blaziken.

For this reason, and the canon issues, I just don't see how they can insert mega evolution in the story of the game

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As others have mentioned, Charizard wasn't fair either. Fairness never has and never will exist. While it is possible for Pokemon to get Megas for other reasons, simply to be fair will not be one of those reasons.

As others have mentioned, Charizard wasn't fair either. Fairness never has and never will exist. While it is possible for Pokemon to get Megas for other reasons, simply to be fair will not be one of those reasons.
Being fair in game is a huge priority for Game Freak. They make a lot of money from merchandise based off of the starters, mascots, and other iconic "equal" pokemon, so they'll avoid making a single starter "better" than any of the others. Post game is another story, as things like speed boost Blaziken and Protean Greninja are obvious advantages, but they've been careful to make those impossible to get from just the game. Blazikenite for example, is probably going to be event exclusive and will serve to increase attendance at Nintendo events.

inb4 Swampertite and Sceptilinite become event stones
and what incentive do they have to do that? If they have mega swampert/sceptile, it'll be pure fan service and have no other major reasoning behind it. Do I think it'd be awesome of Game Freak to do this? Yes, but you have to look at it from their perspective, and when you do, you see there's a very real chance mega swampert and sceptile won't be a thing.

Last edited:
Being fair in game is a huge priority for Game Freak. They make a lot of money from merchandise based off of the starters, mascots, and other iconic "equal" pokemon, so they'll avoid making a single starter "better" than any of the others. Post game is another story, as things like speed boost Blaziken and Protean Greninja are obvious advantages, but they've been careful to make those impossible to get from just the game. Blazikenite for example, is probably going to be event exclusive and will serve to increase attendance at Nintendo events.
I hate to beat a dead horse because so many people have said this so many times, but Charizard is favorited. Charizard is not equal. Charizard gets TWO MEvos. This wasn't even halfway through the storyline, so it defies the Blaziken and Greninja examples. Yeah, neither are OP, but since we're discussing whether or not Hoenn starters will all receive stones due to "fairness," I think it's safe to say. . . Game Freak isn't in it for fairness. They're in it for fan service.

Edit: Actually, looking at your most recent reply. . . I guess I misunderstood your point. Sorry about that!

I hate to beat a dead horse because so many people have said this so many times, but Charizard is favorited. Charizard is not equal. Charizard gets TWO MEvos. This wasn't even halfway through the storyline, so it defies the Blaziken and Greninja examples. Yeah, neither are OP, but since we're discussing whether or not Hoenn starters will all receive stones due to "fairness," I think it's safe to say. . . Game Freak isn't in it for fairness. They're in it for fan service.
But in game, there was no way to get both mega stones, so the grand majority of the people who played XY only get one or the other, and there's no reason to choose Charmander over Squirtle or Venusaur, so IN GAME (I cannot stress that enough, as that's where almost all the merchandise is based off of), the Kanto starters are still equal. Having 2 megas for charizard actually fits in perfectly, because mega charizard X and Y are another rivalry that GF has played off each other, and off the other 2 megas to maximize profits, which is their main goal. If fan service is the best way to do that, then they'll do it, but only for the money.

Edit: NP, I wasn't being that clear

and what incentive do they have to do that? If they have mega swampert/sceptile, it'll be pure fan service and have no other major reasoning behind it. Do I think it'd be awesome of Game Freak to do this? Yes, but you have to look at it from their perspective, and when you do, you see there's a very real chance mega swampert and sceptile won't be a thing.
... kind of implying that a large chunk of megas aren't fanservice to begin with. Why do you think most of the megas are gen 1? Gen 1's the most popular gen, so of course they gave more megas to it - Charizard is probably the most popular Pokémon aside from Pikachu, so it was given two megas. In other words, megas are fanservice to begin with. So your argument doesn't really hold up. I mean... what other major reasoning is there behind most megas?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Game Freak isn't that arbitrary...
Not to mention that it would imply the weirdest take on the "patching in new Pokémon" theory people keep dragging up: ORAS will then have to transfer content to X/Y (as no more Mega Evolution models or stones are coded into X/Y than those two we know about), but without being able to make use of that content itself. Sounds reasonable.

As for why Sceptilite and Swampertite should be a thing, fanservice is as good an argument as any. The more Megas, the merrier, and it balances nicely with Blazikenite as has been mentioned countless times already. When GameFreak has pushed the entire "Hey, kids, Blaziken can MEGA-EVOLVE and become even cooler!!" shtick in X/Y, it would be weird not to present a similar feature for the other starters lest they want them to fade into obscurity. The designers have stated repeatedly that the starters are designed for balance, and by making one an objectively better choice in-game (or by offering it a post-game upgrade, depending on when the Stone will be available) that balance will be broken badly.

There's also an argument mentioned in an obscure post somewhere in this thread: Sceptile was hit pretty hard by the Physical/Special split. It had a great Special attack in Gen. III, making good use of moves such as Thunderpunch, Dragon Claw and its signature Leaf Blade. Those are all Physical moves now, as is most of Sceptile's damage-dealing level-up moves (Leaf Storm and Absorb being the only exceptions). It's hit by a bad case of movepool/stat desynch, which a Mega Evolution could patch nicely.

On the other hand, Swampert doesn't need a Mega Evolution that badly. Okay, it mostly learns Special STAB moves upon level-up, while its Attack is Base 25 higher than its Sp.Atk, but Swampert was never much about attacking anyway. It has only one single weakness, Grass, and thus is capable of tanking most things the game throws at you (there is no Grass gym leader in Hoenn, after all). Swampert is nice defensively, but can pack a punch on the offense too (with a little investment of TMs, since its level-up movepool is linked to its weaker offensive stat). But given that Sceptile gets a MEvo, there's no reason why Swampert shouldn't. Something along the lines of Mega Venusaur, capable of tanking moves to high heaven and hit back decently hard. It would compliment the ultra-offensive Mega Blaziken and the (presumably) agile Mega Sceptile.

Also, some food for thought: Even given a level progression similar to RSE (whose level progression was a little slow, if I may say so myself, so it's likely to be adjusted upwards), players are likely to fully evolve their starter sometime before or just after the sixth Gym, in Fortree. The next Gym is in Mossdeep, where Steven Stone lives. For those who don't remember, Steven likes to collect rare stones. A visit to his house after beating Tate&Liza would be the perfect opportunity to receive the Mega Stone for one's starter Pokémon, both story-wise and game progression-wise. The Mega Starter would be ready for use in the final showdown against Team Aqua/Magma, the final Gym and later the Pokémon league.
"But that would be overpowered!"
Well, so was Groudon/Kyogre the first time 'round. Admittedly, though, you only caught those after beating Aqua/Magma. Still, you got them before taking on Sootopolis Gym, and way before the Elite Four. Not to mention that in Kalos, you got your first Mega just after the third Gym.

Either way, I have faith in new Megas. GameFreak set a strange presedence when they gave Blaziken a Mega Evolution, and we've seen for many years how much they like to do things in pairs and trios. They rarely do major things to one duo/trio member without including the other members in the same deal. Not since... uhh... Scyther got an evolution and Pinsir didn't?

... kind of implying that a large chunk of megas aren't fanservice to begin with. Why do you think most of the megas are gen 1? Gen 1's the most popular gen, so of course they gave more megas to it - Charizard is probably the most popular Pokémon aside from Pikachu, so it was given two megas. In other words, megas are fanservice to begin with. So your argument doesn't really hold up. I mean... what other major reasoning is there behind most megas?
actually, if you count lati@s, then gen 3 has the most megas. And it makes pretty good sense that the generations that released the most pokemon (not counting gen 5, which they chose to not give any for some reason) will have the most pokemon. Admittedly, gen 2 and 4 getting only 3 each does mean that they cater to the more popular generations, but most megas exemplify archetypes like Manectric being a fast electric type, there being 3 of the 4 weather abilities, and stuff like that. My point is that there's only one reason to give sceptile and swampert mega evolutions and not any other pokemon is fan service. If they decide it's not worth it, they won't do it.

I say this because people really seem to just assume that GF is going to do this, but if I had to put money on something, I'd bet they don't introduce any new megas for these games.

by making one an objectively better choice in-game (or by offering it a post-game upgrade, depending on when the Stone will be available) that balance will be broken badly.
There's already been evidence that blazikenite, and speed boost blaziken won't even be available post game, just from special events
Either way, I have faith in new Megas. GameFreak set a strange presedence when they gave Blaziken a Mega Evolution, and we've seen for many years how much they like to do things in pairs and trios. They rarely do major things to one duo/trio member without including the other members in the same deal. Not since... uhh... Scyther got an evolution and Pinsir didn't?
Gardevoir and Gallade, Mawile and Sableye?

Last edited:

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
There's already been evidence that blazikenite, and speed boost blaziken won't even be available post game, just from special events
Where is this evidence? They merely said the Blazikenite couldn't be found anywhere in the Kalos, not that it couldn't be found anywhere else. As for new mega-evolutions, they can pull off a Griseous Orb type deal, where you can't trade the orb itself, but older games recognize that its stats are different, and do the damage differently. Not the most effective way of doing it, but still works nonetheless.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Where is this evidence? They merely said the Blazikenite couldn't be found anywhere in the Kalos, not that it couldn't be found anywhere else. As for new mega-evolutions, they can pull off a Griseous Orb type deal, where you can't trade the orb itself, but older games recognize that its stats are different, and do the damage differently. Not the most effective way of doing it, but still works nonetheless.
Or they could just patch the new stones into X and Y; we could probably use an XY version 1.3 update.

EDIT: did not read thread, was unaware this was already discussed

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Or they could just patch the new stones into X and Y; we could probably use an XY version 1.3 update.
That would be the easiest solution, but as Cobraroll has mentioned before, there are people who might not have access to internet to update.

Edit: Plus Gamefreak/Nintendo make more money by making people get a new game for new formes.

Last edited:
Gardevoir and Gallade, Mawile and Sableye?
Gallade was actually thematically paired with Froslass, both being gender specific evolutions that required a Dawn Stone.

Mawile and Sableye is a good example, as would Jynx, being that it was overlooked for a 3rd item-trade evolution that was given to Rhyhorn even though it was given a pre-evo in Gen 2 along with Magmar and Electabuzz.

However, the lack of Mega Evos from Gen 2, 4 and the none we got from Gen 5 gives me hope that this will be remedied in OR/AS, along with the obligatory wish that the other 2 Hoenn starters also receive a MEvo.

Actually, all the sources I had for that were referring to Kalos, but it sorta defeats the point of having something be a big event thing if it's available in game just a year later. Game Freak will do whatever they want though, I'm just saying that if they don't want to do something, they can find plenty of excuses.

Gallade was actually thematically paired with Froslass, both being gender specific evolutions that required a Dawn Stone.
Really? Because the different BST's and other lack of comparisons didn't really make that click in my mind.

Mawile and Sableye is a good example, as would Jynx, being that it was overlooked for a 3rd item-trade evolution that was given to Rhyhorn even though it was given a pre-evo in Gen 2 along with Magmar and Electabuzz.

However, the lack of Mega Evos from Gen 2, 4 and the none we got from Gen 5 gives me hope that this will be remedied in OR/AS, along with the obligatory wish that the other 2 Hoenn starters also receive a MEvo.
I actually hope so too. Things like Mega Sableye (woulda made more sense than Banette), Swampert, Sceptile, Gen 2 starters, Gen 4 starters, ANY Gen 5 pokemon, A mega with Drizzle (I was thinking floatzel), Golem and Machamp (The other original trade to evolve pokes got it), the rest of the Psuedos, Arcanine (I'm biased, ok?), and Rayquaza (and other 680 BST legendaries to give Mew2 competition) are all pokemon I really hope get megas in the future, because they all (except Archanine) got the short end of the stick with this new mechanic. I just don't expect it to be with ORAS.

Last edited:
>megas for more pseudos and legends
please... please, no...
I don't care how you put it, Garchomp and Tyranitar were not clearly the most popular psuedos, or the ones that needed a buff most, so giving them megas and not the other 4 didn't make that much sense on Game Freak's part, so, assuming there will be more megas eventually, Dragonite, Salamence, Metagross, and Hydreigon are some of the best candidates.

As for other legendaries, I just want ubers to be a bit more diverse in the mega department, can't blame me for that.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
please... please, no...
Salamence, Hydreigon, and Metagross have taken a massive hit to viability this Gen and would appreciate Megas that could change the way they play, like how Mega Chomp goes from Sweeper/Revenger killer to Wallbreaker with its decreased Speed.

EDIT:
I don't care how you put it, Garchomp and Tyranitar were not clearly the most popular psuedos, or the ones that needed a buff most, so giving them megas and not the other 4 didn't make that much sense on Game Freak's part, so, assuming there will be more megas eventually, Dragonite, Salamence, Metagross, and Hydreigon are some of the best candidates.

As for other legendaries, I just want ubers to be a bit more diverse in the mega department, can't blame me for that.
I'm pretty sure Garchomp and Tyranitar are the most popular pseudos, especially going by GF's own usage statistics from this Gen.

please... please, no...
Obviously not for the Dragons, but I'm up for Metagross getting one. The loss of Dark and Ghost resistances really screwed it over this gen. The only thing defending Psychic types from it's main Dark and Ghost weaknesses were Steel (and to a lesser extent Dark, but no resistances and x4 U-turn weakness, not gonna happen) It would have been better if Psychic was more efficient at hitting Steel types than Ghost. Bendy spoons anyone? Maybe Metagross would get a form that focuses on speed and power instead of bulky offense. It already looks like a Transformer; that Light Metal ability seems to hint at something along those lines. Or maybe it's just me. Steven needs an ace Pokemon as a champion anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)