CAP 18 CAP 18 - Pokedex Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
sorry sorry sorry gah I am so late #volkrakenflavor #capmodsblow #banbirkal

Here we are at the final stage of Volkraken; welcome to Pokedex submissions! In this thread you may post your entries for critique and eventually submit them for the poll. Please read the following rules before doing so!:

Legal Pokedex submissions must meet the following standards
  • Pokedex Entries must have flawless grammar. Smogon has a Grammar & Prose team that will help identify mistakes.
  • Pokedex Entries cannot be longer than 25 words.
  • Pokedex Entries can only contain the following characters:
    • Letters A-Z
    • Numbers 1-9
    • Dash (-)
    • Apostrophe (')
    • Period (.)
    • Comma (,)
    • Colon (:)
    • Semi-colon (;)
    • Space

Work In Progress (WIP) Pokedex Entries can be posted at any time for comments from the community.

No more than three WIP Pokedex Entries can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread. This limit applies to ALL posts made by a single person, even if previous posts are edited or deleted. This limit is intended to curb the tendency for some submitters to spam the thread repeatedly with multiple Pokedex Entries. This detracts from other submissions and makes it difficult for commenters to survey the submission thread.

Do not bump your WIP Pokedex Entries by posting them repeatedly, or making minor wording changes. Bumping will result in the disqualification of all Pokedex Entries by the offender. Editing or deleting bump posts will not prevent disqualification.

Only ONE Final Submission can be made per person.

Pokedex Entry Final Submissions can only be posted after a CAP Moderator posts in the thread that final submissions are open. Any final submission posted prior to the Moderator notification post, will disqualify the submitter from the poll entirely. Even if the offending post is edited later or deleted, the submitter will still be disqualified for the remainder of the thread. This ensures that all submitters have equal opportunity to post final submissions without anyone unfairly "jumping the gun".

Pokedex entries Final Submissions must posted exactly in the following format and in the following exact order:
  • The first line of the post must have the words "Final Submission" in bold on it's own line. No other text may be included before the bold heading.
  • A blank line
  • "<Pokemon Name>, the <Species Name> Pokemon", with the Pokemon name and the Species Name in bold
  • A blank line
  • The X Pokedex Entry submission. Start with the letter "X" in bold, then a colon (:), and then the Pokedex entry.
  • A blank line
  • The Y Pokedex Entry submission. Start with the letter "Y" in bold, then a colon (:), and then the Pokedex entry.
Below the Final Submission you can post other comments, explanations, etc.

Example final submission:

Final Submission

Victini, the Victory Pokémon

X: This Pokémon brings victory. It is said that Trainers with Victini always win, regardless of the type of encounter.

Y: When it shares the infinite energy it creates, that being’s entire body will be overflowing with power.
Any Final Submission that does not follow the proper format will be disqualified.

---

CAP 18 thus far:

Art:

Sprites:

Concept:
Dummy007 said:
Concept: Major Third

General Description: A Pokemon that forms an effective offensive or defensive core with two lesser-used OU Pokemon.

Justification: Cores have always been an integral part of the metagame, whether you're running Talonflame/Staraptor to brute force everything, Slowbro/Amoonguss/Heatran for Regenerator-Leftovers stalling, or a whole team of Dragons + Magnezone. We've previously explored what it takes to make a successful partnership in CAP11 (Voodoom), but the metagame (and the simulator!) has changed dramatically since Voodoom's creation. I would also like to up the ante a little bit: Instead of just one, can we now take TWO Pokemon and find their missing piece? Whether we opt to build on an established two-Pokemon partnership or choose two previously unrelated Pokemon and put them together, I think that we can certainly find a Voodoom for a more offensive time.

Questions to Be Answered:
How do effective cores in the current metagame differ fundamentally from the cores of previous metagames, if at all?
Is synergy as important (relative to power) in the current metagame as it previously has been? (That is, has power creep rendered synergy unnecessary?)
What differences are there between tailoring a Pokemon to two others and tailoring it to one? What else must be considered besides weaknesses and resistances?
How does the addition of a Pokemon to a core change what other Pokemon can be effectively run alongside the core?
Does Team Preview make running cores more difficult?
Is it possible to create a core uncounterable by a single Pokemon? (For example, Celebi/Heatran/Jellicent was a very effective BW core that got slaughtered by Tyranitar. Can a core force opponents to counter it with another core?)
Tagging onto the above, what is required to "counter-core" a core? What combination of offensive and defensive characteristics among "counter-core" members achieves this?
Typing: Water/Fire
Abilities: Analytic / Infiltrator / Pressure
Stats: 100 HP / 45 Atk / 80 Def / 135 SpA / 100 SpD / 95 Spe
Movepool:
Korski said:
0 - Constrict
0 - Flash
0 - Bite
0 - Leech Life
0 - Reflect
0 - Water Gun
4 - Reflect
9 - Water Gun
14 - Whirlpool
18 - Fire Spin
23 - Flame Burst
28 - Scald
32 - Destiny Bond
37 - Dive
42 - Power Gem
46 - Aqua Ring
51 - Heat Wave
56 - Hydro Pump
66 - Memento

(Water 1 / Water 2)

Aqua Jet
Assurance
Captivate
Scary Face
Tickle
Water Pulse

TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM21 - Frustration
TM27 - Return
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM35 - Flamethrower
TM38 - Fire Blast
TM41 - Torment
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM48 - Round
TM50 - Overheat
TM54 - False Swipe
TM55 - Scald
TM56 - Fling
TM59 - Incinerate
TM60 - Quash
TM61 - Will-o-Wisp
TM66 - Payback
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM70 - Flash
TM87 -Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM89 - U-turn
TM90 - Substitute
TM91 - Flash Cannon
TM100 - Confide
HM03 - Surf
HM05 - Waterfall

Last edited by a moderator:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Volkraken, the Hadal Pokémon

X: It ignites the chemicals it consumes from hydrothermal vents as a means of jet propulsion.

Y: This Pokémon is highly intelligent. When confronted with a puzzling dilemma, it is quick to learn from it and will deduce an solution.

The species name is something I quickly jotted down, left to simmer, and came back to when I figured that I could make it more 'interesting'. 'Vampire Squid' fits in Pokemon's character limits and it fits Volkraken. I'm sure other people will use that species name, given how perfectly it fits. I went with the adjective 'Hadal' because I'm still interested in the word and its relationship both to the extreme depths of the ocean and to the Greek underworld.

I made my Pokedex entries of differing length, since it seems to be more common in X/Y's entries. X's entry covers Volkraken as an undersea creature and how it's Water/Fire. Y's entry describes how squids are intelligent creatures. Volkraken has Analytic and someone linked in #cap a GIF of a squid unscrewing a closed jar from the inside, so I thought I'd generalize the idea into that entry. I'm still not fond of how the entry is worded, so I'll be editing that.

Last edited:
Volkraken, the Lurker Pokémon

X: It roams the extreme depths, luring in prey with its luminescence and burning away their life force with superheated water.

Y: Legend has it that seafarers would be found on deck with no blood whenever a ring of lights was seen beneath the waves.

I've heard somewhere that the Y-entries (or the equivalent game per generation) are darker and more sinister, so I tried to make it seem frightening (or at least with a similar theme). I tried to emphasize the glowing spots on Volkraken, in a way of luring prey. I also made sure to include its actual typing properties (hot water). I chose the title "Lurker" as it does not already exist on a Nintendo-made Pokemon and it fits the deep-ocean habitat. As a bonus, each one can be attributed to one of its primary abilities (X with Analytic, luring in its prey successfully, and Y with Infiltrator, coming aboard the ships, supposedly).

EDIT: Added vampiric aspects

Oh, that was me that posted the octopus gif in #cap ^^

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Volkraken, the Magma Depth Pokemon

X: It communicates by flashing large bioluminescent tissues above its eyes. It can re-shape these tissues into faces that show a wide range of emotion.

Y: It hides in smoke emitted from hydrothermal vents to ambush prey. When it catches meals, it drains their life force and will swallow them whole.

Both entries are exactly 25 words long, but I definitely wanted to play with the vampire theme, and Volkraken's entry is right up there with the likes of Kabutops and Gorebyss for deep-sea creeps. I also thought the face was pretty funny, and since Volkraken is an invertebrate, it can certainly alter its shape.

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Volkraken, the Vampire Squid Pokémon.

X: Volkraken uses receptors on its tentacles to sense body heat underwater. It then predicts its prey's next move with its sixth sense.

Y: The heat from this Pokémon can conduct through any material. It melts its prey's internal organs before sucking out the fluid.

I tried to include several elements about the CAP, especially the vampire squid part. I drew inspiration from how vampires sense body heat from blood (well, at least vampire bats do) and how they feast on blood (a body fluid as in Y). Also was making a reference to how some octopuses eat crabs by liquefying their insides and sucking them out. The X entry is mainly based on the Analytic part, and I tried to incorporate both Fire and Water into the entries.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Volkraken, the Hydrothermal Pokémon

X: It lures unsuspecting prey into the undersea vents it lives in, then sears them with boiling-hot water.

Y: Lone boaters are told to be wary of distant lights, as this Pokémon is said to feed on the souls of unwitting mariners.

played with the vampire theme of Volkraken in the Y entry, while the X entry is based on its Water/Fire typing, access to Scald by level-up, and the vampire squid's deep-sea habitat. obviously hydrothermal refers to heated water, i.e. fire-water. For "souls", would "blood" or "spirits" work better?

edit: and a couple more wips. I'd like to see which ones the community prefers, as I'm pretty happy with my original X entry but not so much with my Y entry.

X: Groups of this Pokémon watch ships for weeks to learn their sailing patterns before sneaking inside and drowning all on board.

Y: Sailors who fear capsize by its intense fire attacks decorate their ships with garlic and rosaries, which are said to repel Volkraken.

X entry refers to its abilities: Analytic for watching the ships (this could also be construed as a reference to octopus/squid intelligence) and Infiltrator for sneaking on board. In the Y entry, I'm iffy on "decorate", so if anyone has suggestions on what I could replace it with, I'd be more than happy to take them. anyway, Y entry builds on the "vampire" theme more explicitly than my original Y entry, as garlic and rosaries are said to repel vampires.

Last edited:
Volkraken the Fire Squid Pokemon

X: Being able to survive in hot waters, it has developed a strong immune system. This system has helped it in mastering fire attacks.

Y: Slowly riding the currents, it infiltrates into sunken ships. From there it spies other Pokémon and latches its tentacles devouring ones which swim close enough.

In the X pokedex entry I laid emphasis on Volkrakens Duo Fire Water typing, giving a reason for it and in the Y entry I laid emphasis on its abilities Analytic and Infiltrator. Slowly riding the currents highlights Analytic, while It infiltrates into sunken ships lays emphasis on Infiltrator. Suggestions and critiques are welcome.

Last edited:
Volkraken, the Vent Squid Pokémon

X: It constricts prey with its tentacles and drains their life force. It then finishes it by shooting out boiling water.

Y: Volkraken absorb superheated water from undersea vents to power their attacks. These Pokémon are considered extremely intelligent and can mimic human faces.

Last edited:
Volkraken, the Sea Monster Pokemon

X: Volkraken demonstrates perfect control over fire by changing the frequency and brightness of its bio-luminescence.

Y: It's known by sailors as the "Vampire of the Sea", due to the eerie markings on its body and tooth-like injuries it can inflict.

I aimed to focus on the biology of Volkraken rather than its behaviour, the X entry also mentions one half of its typing, fire, attributing it to the bioluminescent features of the pokemon. Whereas the Y entry emphasizes more on the vampire aspects of Volkraken, both in its biology and in the form of lore (the imagery and stories of vampires are formed through local lore, and so it seemed fitting that Volkraken should also have some lore behind it).

Last edited:
Volkraken, the Abyssal Flame pokémon

X: It lives around cracks on the ocean floor where magma emerges. If it strays too far from its nest, it hardens into stone.

Y: A cunning hunter, it attracts prey using the glowing rings on its body, before superheating the water around its victim, boiling it alive.

In my X entry, I decided to focus on the 'volcano' part of its name, while in the second i went for a slightly creepier entry about hunting which is actually fairly common in the pokédex (see Kabutops draining fluids for example)

Two WIPs I have set up.
I'd like to see which one the community prefers.
Volkraken, the Warm Waters Pokémon

X: Warm shores are said to be visited by Volkraken. They are meant to attract prey.

Y: They absorb heat from the water's surface, and warm the cool abyss by giving off heat. Their photophobic young grow from this heat.

These descriptions are meant to be more lighter and give a kinder look to this cool and creepy CAPmon. The X description is meant to give Volkraken a mythical appearance, along with evidence that the shores are sort of their feeding grounds.
The Y description is a opposite to that of X. Essentially, the Volkraken work light hydronic heating, where warmth is being gathered by the water and brought to colder places for heat transfer. Young Volkraken (or something else the community decides) will gain the same abilities as their parents and soon become Volkraken.

Volkraken, the Abyssal Beacon Pokémon

X: Volkraken mount rocky shores and lure sailors in on foggy days. They can mimic the beacon of a lighthouse by glowing as one.

Y: Depending on the captain, Volkraken will either lead a ship to safety, or lead them to be ambushed by a horde of these squids.

I like the idea of putting Volkraken in the "Beasts of the Sea" category based on their PokéDex Descriptions.
Here the X description is meant to portray the beacon-like aspects of this CAPmon.
In the Y description, I give the audience a scenario of how Analytic this Pokémon is.

Last edited:
Volkraken, the Abyss Pokemon

X: It will sneak aboard fishing vessels to secure an easy meal. Many sailors have heart attacks if they wake to see its ghastly image.

Y: When angered, it will heat the surrounding water into glowing steam. Many ships that follow the light soon meet their end.

Abyss is a religious term for a bottomless pit leading to the underworld as well as referring to the second deepest layer of the ocean.
The entry for X is based off of Infiltrator and its imposing appearance.
The entry for Y is based primarily on its secondary fire typing as well at its raw power. Rising bubbles of gas have also been suspected as a possible cause of many Bermuda Triangle shipwrecks. While the bubble of steam is underwater, it exerts enough pressure to remain stable. Once the bubble(s) reach the surface, it could either pop and let the ship fall into the cavity or they would lower the density of the water far to much to support a ship. Either way, the ship and her crew would meet a quick and sudden doom.
I feel like these entries describe it well and give reason for sailors to fear Volkraken as a bad omen and a destructive force.

epicparker

Banned deucer.
Volkraken: The Magma Squid Pokemon

X: This pokemon waits in the shadowy depths, calculating the right time to strike.

Y: Volkraken's false face is used to scare away predators, while its glowing spots can be used to attract prey.

WIP

Volkraken, the Infernal Squid Pokémon

X: This Pokémon resides in the abyss of the sea, where it attracts prey and fellow Volkraken alike using the glowing spots all over its body.

Y: It produces searing flames capable of melting a warship's hull. Sailors claim that those who stare into Volkraken's false face will have their souls stolen.

Last edited:
WIP #1

Volkraken, the Terror Squid Pokémon

X: When it is analyzing its prey, Volkraken's cold, unwavering gaze is so intense that it causes severe headaches to whoever looks at it.

Y: The glowing false face on a Volkraken's head is the last thing its prey ever sees.

These two are short and not-so-sweet. I'm a little iffy on Devil Squid as the Species name.

EDIT: Implemented Quanyails' suggestions. Thank you!

WIP #2

Volkraken, the False Light Pokémon

X: Volkraken will secretly analyze its prey for hours to determine which pattern of flashing lights from its false face will disorient its quarry the most.

Y: Mariners must navigate with their eyes closed through Volkraken's territory, fearing that they may look into the hypnotic false eyes of one of these Pokémon.

I believe both of these are exactly 25 words. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Both entries put focus on the false face, which I believe is the center of Volkraken itself. For that reason, I made it the False Light Pokemon. I like this one much better than my previous WIP.

EDIT: WIP #3. Because lol.

WIP #3

Volkraken, the Blazing Calamari Pokémon

X: It is impossible for chefs to cook this Pokémon, for exposing it to high temperatures outside of water causes it to explode into putrid flames.

Y: Ancient peoples would wear Volkraken masks and dance on the beach as a ritual. Unfortunately, this attracted real Volkraken, ending the tradition promptly.

LOL

I've lurked around Smogon, especially CAP, for quite a while, but this is the first time I've participated in anything to do with it! I'm quite excited! Commentary would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
WIP

Volkraken, the Mantle Pokemon

X: Volkraken live in small colonies around deep-sea vents. They attract prey by flashing the light patterns on their bodies.

Y: When its prey comes near, it traps them in its tentacles and roasts them alive with boiling-hot water.

The species name has a double meaning - the mantle is the organ in molluscs that holds the organism's body shape, as well as the layer of the earth filled with hot magma. As for the entries, I focused on the pretty clear predatory nature of Volkraken. As mentioned in a previous post, the second dex entry often takes a more sinister spin on things, so I decided to focus on how it goes about killing its prey. As for the other dex entry, I focused more on its habitat and how it hunts.

I've noticed that a lot of the dex entries are focusing on the "kraken" part of Volkraken's name by talking about how it attacks ships. I, for one, don't think this makes sense. First of all, Volkraken is only about 4 feet in height, much less that the mythical Kraken. Secondly, it's based off of the vampire squid, which lives deep under the ocean instead of near its surface.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Looking forward to many great submissions!

WIP

Volkraken, the Trench pokemon

X: Volkraken lives near volcanic vents in trenches deep underwater.

Y: Although many are scared by its oppressive stare, this is only a sign that it is thinking hard about how to circumvent a problem.

The species name is a result of my wanting to say abyss without saying abyss so I found a good synonym for abyss and worked that into my pokedex entry, which I feel is quite common.

In the first pokedex entry I tried to express it's environment and worked in the obligatory vent reference to get some fire in there.

In the second one I tried to work in all three abilities. The oppressive stare being pressure, thinking hard being analytic, and getting around a problem being infiltrator.

Edit: adding another WIP
Volkraken, the Shifting Pokemon

X: Volkraken's body can reach temperatures that can boil water in seconds or even light water on fire.

Y: Volkraken lures in prey by changing its body's shape and pattern of bioluminescence, then crushes it with enough force to turn sand into rock.

Species name is to show how it can change it's look and also feels a little bit and feels ominous to me. On the pokedex entries I tried to add some more fire type flavor with the first one and in the second one I tried to show the ability pressure and explain the move power gem, which I feel is a bit out of place.

Edit: small grammar fixes, rewording, changed diamonds to rocks for more realism, changed second species name.

Last edited:
Volkraken, the Abyssal Pokemon

X: Despite its scary looks, it's actually intelligent and curious. It inspects submarines that visit the deep sea.

Y: It superheats water to boil its prey. It can be found around sunken volcanoes and deep-sea vents where darkness is total.

WIP, I guess. Species name is straightforward. For the descriptions, I decided to go with references to its Analytic personality (it is a cephalopod after all) and resisted the urge to make it creepier, mainly because it's neither a ghost nor a dark type.

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
Volkraken, the Depth Pokemon

X: Using its membrane, it controls the temperature of itself and waters around it to move through the ocean depths through undulation.

Y: It observes its prey from the darkness, then flashes its lights to catch its prey's attention before attacking with scalding hot water.

"Depth" referring to both water and thought.

Volkraken the Ocean Empusa Pokèmon

X: When confronted with a difficult opponent, it uses its false face to buy itself time to think. No obstacle can stop it with sufficient contemplation.

Y: It is said that when it comes too close to the surface, it disinegrates into sea foam. People believe foolish Volkraken warm the ocean.

X is meant to reference the abilities while y emphasizes the vampire aspect.

Last edited:
Volkraken, the Abyssal Pokemon

X: The lights of hunting shoals of Volkraken have led to sailor's stories of spirits of dead fishermen leading them to a big catch.

Y: Their boneless bodies allow Volkraken survive the great pressure of ocean trenches, and let them nab prey in even the smallest of hiding spaces.

Last edited:
Volkraken, the Luminous Pokemon

X: It can control the temperature of water around it, frying its prey in ferocious heat.

Y: It uses the lights on its body to create wonderful shows that mesmerise seamen, often causing shipwrecks.

Last edited:
Volkraken, the Pyrolumine Pokémon

X: Tampered by the hydrothermal vents it lives by, Volkraken sense prey with their heat reception, then lure them with the luminous organs on its body.

Y: Legend goes an ancient tribe released a gigantic Volkraken that made the ocean temperature rise immensely, killing marine life en masse.

First entry is exactly 25 lines long. References are bioluminescence, heat reception and, of course, the Kraken.

Volkraken, The Simmer Squid Pokemon

X: Volkraken has the sharpest beak of all Pokemon. It's beak can destroy 30 tons of diamond and still be sharp enough to cut a perfect California Roll.

Y: Volkraken's brain is called The Sun's Older Sister due to the high temperatures it can make. It can create temperatures up to 87 million degrees Kelvin, which is about 40 times hotter than sun.

Volkraken, The Simmer Squid Pokemon

X: Volkraken has the sharpest beak of all Pokemon. It's beak can destroy 30 tons of diamond and still be sharp enough to cut a perfect California Roll.

Y: Volkraken's brain is called The Sun's Older Sister due to the high temperatures it can make. It can create temperatures up to 87 million degrees Kelvin, which is about 40 times hotter than sun.
Both of these entries exceed the word count limit. You'd need to shorten them to make them eligible for final submissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)