XY OU Suspect Process, Round 3 - BATON PASS [READ POST #590]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I speak Spanish and little English, but I think BP is nothing without Espeon!
I am against any ban that includes a pokemon in particular, so I opted for the option of limiting the crew BP, but 3 I seem few, I think it would be best to limit slowly, starting with 4 as that the real problems are caused with a full BP, or 5 team and a striker.
The suspect teams do not play with BP, not that!

This I translated with Google XD

Setting aside bullshit discussions about "collateral damage", what is the advantage of picking option 3 over 2? Because it's a complex ban, and I think that shit needs to go under extra scrutiny - does it really fix the problem, or does it just put a band-aid on a festering problem?

The replays posted by [user]WebBowser[/user] don't convince me that it's Scolipede that is the problem - what I'm seeing instead are teams that aren't prepared to deal with boosting sweepers getting, uh, swept. I have no problem with that paradigm, since offensive boosting is expected at this point, and you really need to have a way to counter that on your team regardless of your playstyle.

My second concern is that option 3 over option 2 leaves the door open for full Baton Pass shittery. I think Baton Pass teams can more easily adapt to losing both Espeon and Scolipede and still come up with a team that is still a fucking cancer on the metagame. (My prediction: If Option 3 wins, the teams are gonna rely heavily on Quiver Passers to get the requisite speed + spdef boosts, and teams that don't have a strong physical offensive tilt get screwed).

Option 3 I believe is supposed to allow full baton pass teams, but they don't have their best parts. Without Scolipede/Ninjask, they lose one of their most efficient and reliable boosters, and without Espeon, it opens up a bunch of ways to easily stop the chain, like in this replay where I crit KO'd Espeon early on. I didn't consciously prepare for Baton Pass with that team, but I could work with the tools I had with me, like leech seed, taunt, and stealth rock.

Option 2 is just getting rid of full baton pass teams. Now, you can counter a baton pass chain by threatening all 3 members with baton pass which is a hell of a lot easier than threatening 6. That forces the opponent to pass out to a sweeper right there, and all that's left is to check that sweeper.

Setting aside bullshit discussions about "collateral damage", what is the advantage of picking option 3 over 2? Because it's a complex ban, and I think that shit needs to go under extra scrutiny - does it really fix the problem, or does it just put a band-aid on a festering problem?

The replays posted by [user]WebBowser[/user] don't convince me that it's Scolipede that is the problem - what I'm seeing instead are teams that aren't prepared to deal with boosting sweepers getting, uh, swept. I have no problem with that paradigm, since offensive boosting is expected at this point, and you really need to have a way to counter that on your team regardless of your playstyle.

My second concern is that option 3 over option 2 leaves the door open for full Baton Pass shittery. I think Baton Pass teams can more easily adapt to losing both Espeon and Scolipede and still come up with a team that is still a fucking cancer on the metagame. (My prediction: If Option 3 wins, the teams are gonna rely heavily on Quiver Passers to get the requisite speed + spdef boosts, and teams that don't have a strong physical offensive tilt get screwed).
Honestly Really don't think quiverpassing is that big of an issue, or smash passing for the matter.
Quiver passing is limited to Venomoth and Smeargle, both of which can be pretty easily be killed. Also it allows taunting+phazing. Status can also be an issue. Also any decent physical threat should be able to capitalize on them.

Can anyone explain to me why the suspect test is filled almost entirely with non-Baton Pass teams? I tried using a Baton Pass team myself in the suspect test, but what surprised me was not that it was anything like it was undefeatable or easy to use. It was that Baton Pass teams are easily checked by heavy offensive teams, Thundurus (closest to a direct counter lead with a strong Thunderbolt vs Espeon and Taunt for those who decide not to switch) and his Prankster friends, Charizard Y with Fire Blast, and the list keeps going (yes, I know I missed quaggy, but what I'm showing are true threats viable competitively that can beat Baton Pass). I know it's awfully annoying and I know that in the end the community is completely against Baton Pass, but honestly, although I did believe the myths before, I no longer believe Baton Pass is "uncounterable." The suspect test proved it to me. Just try using the "uncounterable" Baton Pass team in the suspect test to see for yourself how quickly you'll get wiped out by truly competitive teams. Even if I'm wrong, this also proves that Baton Pass requires skill to be effectively used and thus is a legitimate strategy. Despite this, again, I know in the end full Baton Pass teams will be removed in the end because a lot of people who never tried using a Baton Pass team themselves are commenting. Nonetheless, as I and many others never use a Baton Pass team, it is easy to derate a perfectly fair strategy as counterable (and annoying) as Stall Gliscor because we never tried using it ourselves. I could go on about this, but even if I have even the slightest point or I'm making a fool of myself, it is truly it is up to the community to decide. My only hope now is that Baton Pass isn't remembered as the undefeatable strategy it is being viewed as right now.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Honestly Really don't think quiverpassing is that big of an issue, or smash passing for the matter.
Quiver passing is limited to Venomoth and Smeargle, both of which can be pretty easily be killed. Also it allows taunting+phazing. Status can also be an issue. Also any decent physical threat should be able to capitalize on them.
They are a problem in lower tiers; SmashPassing was banned in NU or RU (can't remember which) last Gen and this Gen fucking Venomoth shot up to BL.

Can anyone explain to me why the suspect test is filled almost entirely with non-Baton Pass teams? I tried using a Baton Pass team myself in the suspect test, but what surprised me was not that it was anything like it was undefeatable or easy to use. It was that Baton Pass teams are easily checked by heavy offensive teams, Thundurus (closest to a direct counter lead with a strong Thunderbolt vs Espeon and Taunt for those who decide not to switch) and his Prankster friends, Charizard Y with Fire Blast, and the list keeps going (yes, I know I missed quaggy, but what I'm showing are true threats viable competitively that can beat Baton Pass). I know it's awfully annoying and I know that in the end the community is completely against Baton Pass, but honestly, although I did believe the myths before, I no longer believe Baton Pass is "uncounterable." The suspect test proved it to me. Just try using the "uncounterable" Baton Pass team in the suspect test to see for yourself how quickly you'll get wiped out by truly competitive teams. Even if I'm wrong, this also proves that Baton Pass requires skill to be effectively used and thus is a legitimate strategy. Despite this, again, I know in the end full Baton Pass teams will be removed in the end because a lot of people who never tried using a Baton Pass team themselves are commenting. Nonetheless, as I and many others never use a Baton Pass team, it is easy to derate a perfectly fair strategy as counterable (and annoying) as Stall Gliscor because we never tried using it ourselves. I could go on about this, but even if I have even the slightest point or I'm making a fool of myself, it is truly it is up to the community to decide. My only hope now is that Baton Pass isn't remembered as the undefeatable strategy it is being viewed as right now.
It was acknowledged earlier that the suspect ladder is much better prepared for countering Baton Pass. Nobody said it was impossible to counter it, although you did specify that you no longer believe that, so maybe you weren't projecting that assumption onto others. However, it is important to note what exactly you are listing off as counters.

Thundurus and his other Prankster buddies. How many of those are there exactly? How many of them are even viable? What playstyles usually run Thundurus?

Char-Y using Fire Blast. A very powerful, Sun-boosted Fire-type attack. How many of those are there and what playstyles usually have them? How many playstyles have an abundance of Pokemon with that much fire power, so to speak?

I am glad you didn't mention Quagsire because I was under the assumption that that notion was thoroughly discredited. Unless you throw him out right off the bat and spam Haze or the person playing BP is foolish enough to not adjust their tactics to ensure that Quagsire is faced with Stored Power users regularly, Quagsire doesn't stop BP much, it only slows them down and makes them play cautiously.

As for the answers to those questions, you already have it in that post. Heavily offensive teams. In other words, things along the lines of hyper offense. Your whole argument that you posted essentially boils down to hyper offense stands a chance against Baton Pass, which everyone already knew/should have known.

Can anyone explain to me why the suspect test is filled almost entirely with non-Baton Pass teams?
That's how the suspect ladder has always been. People design their teams entirely on how to beat the suspect(s). However, I think the biggest factor there are no BP teams is that nobody wants to use Baton Pass teams because they're just so fucking boring. You either win in the first few turns, you lose in the first few turns, or you get crit at some point in the chain and end up having to reset your entire process to compensate.

That's how the suspect ladder has always been. People design their teams entirely on how to beat the suspect(s). However, I think the biggest factor there are no BP teams is that nobody wants to use Baton Pass teams because they're just so fucking boring. You either win in the first few turns, you lose in the first few turns, or you get crit at some point in the chain and end up having to reset your entire process to compensate.
I know they're boring. That's why I said that even if Baton Pass is a legitimate strategy, I knew it would get banned for some way. And btw my question was not literally asking why, it was trying to prove that Baton Pass is counterable. The question is, are people ok with a metagame like the suspect test? I think not.

I know they're boring. That's why I said that even if Baton Pass is a legitimate strategy, I knew it would get banned for some way. And btw my question was not literally asking why, it was trying to prove that Baton Pass is counterable. The question is, are people ok with a metagame like the suspect test? I think not.
I honestly don't think anybody is saying that BP is not counterable, they are just saying essentially what you said at the end, that they don't want the meta to become anything like one where people are countering BP like on the Suspect Ladder.

I honestly don't think anybody is saying that BP is not counterable, they are just saying essentially what you said at the end, that they don't want the meta to become anything like one where people are countering BP like on the Suspect Ladder.
Precisely my point.
Edit: To clarify, my point as in why Baton Pass should and hopefully, as you said, will fall.

Just got reqs (yay!). To my surprise, I fought very few BP teams on the way. It was a lot easier and a lot less stressful than the hellish Swagger ladder. The horror...
So, at the risk of sounding impatient, any idea when the identification thread will be up?

I think I'll use a different alt on the suspect ladder and regular OU ladders now to see how teams with only 3 BPers function

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I always want to just point out that nobody should be arguing this kind a point.

If you can't replace "Baton Pass" with "Offense" or "Stall" or whatever when referring to it generically as a playstyle and keep it a valid argument, don't argue it. Saying something like this where its a waste of everyones time to counter it, and that its a BAD thing that people carry counters to a team style, is basically no more than a bigoted opinion. This isn't Gen 4 garchomp, Gen 5 Exca, or hell, even Gen 6 gene where it causes large team changes to the meta. These are at worst, running 1 suboptimal move on an S tier Pokemon, or carrying still incredible sets like CM Lando or MZam (This guy is still underrated as hell) in order to end an entire playstyle. People would KILL to have something that destroys offense so easily (stall has goth, which is essentially the same as MZam in terms of how much damage it does vs a team by itself) and with such little adaptation on already A and S tier Pokemon. Baton Pass has those weaknesses and we're still sitting here treating it like some cancer that's not even worth our time to pay attention to.

Just ban Speedboost please.
Combusken been rustling the jimmies lately? Speed Boost is fine and isn't making any waves in the meta outside of Full BP chains, so if/when they get nerfed (and there are only 2 options for that as stated in the OP) it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Batonpass teams are very rare on suspect because it requires skills to get with 2700 coil in a ladder filled with counters. As far as I know I'm the 1st player and only player on suspect who achieved req using only a full batonpass chain team. When there's only 1 player with req using only full bp chain then does that mean its broken?

They are a problem in lower tiers; SmashPassing was banned in NU or RU (can't remember which) last Gen and this Gen fucking Venomoth shot up to BL.
True, but that is totally irrelevant within the context of this discussion. In the current ou meta smash passing and quiver passing are no where near game breaking.

Full chains may or may not be broken

Surprisingly, the Protect + 3 attacks Scolipede variant has been putting in huge work for me over the last dozen or so games. Maybe this is because everyone is expecting the BP set, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I'm sure most people have come across a few teams floating around utilising quickpassing Scolipede. In my opinion, while this is a strong technique, it is obviously not "broken" to the same extent as a full chain. Indeed, the fact that quickpassing is viable and even formidable increases diversity in the meta and is a reason why option 3 is far from an ideal solution.

Batonpass teams are very rare on suspect because it requires skills to get with 2700 coil in a ladder filled with counters. As far as I know I'm the 1st player and only player on suspect who achieved req using only a full batonpass chain team. When there's only 1 player with req using only full bp chain then does that mean its broken?
The ladder is full of people who make teams only to counter BP, and most, if not all, are not viable outside of the suspect ladder. So yes, it's broken, it just seems it's not.

So I've been hearing people stating quick pass scolipede is not broken, and I would like some elaboration on those arguments. As for the general lack of quick pass teams that have made reqs, I point to the fact that a grand total of one full BP user has made reqs so far, and yet we still generally agree that it is still broken. If we reject the above argument against the brokenness of full BP teams, then we cannot use that same argument for stating that quick pass teams are not broken. Many of the mons that work well against BP in general also work well against quick pass because they both rely on iron defense scolipede. To help, I will state exactly what iron defense scolipede is capable of doing, and you can decide whether or not it is still broken.

Scolipede @ Mental Herb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Atk(8SPdef)
Impish Nature
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- subs/rock slide/earthquake/megahorn/whatever you want really
- Iron Defense

Iron defense scolipede is primarily a support mon who is capable of consistently getting speed and defense boosts to pass to another team member at little personal risk. The number of mons that scolipede is capable of setting up in front of is actually quite staggering, and the number of mons that scoli can successfully "escape" from (baton pass away) is even more so. Simply put, any physical mon that is slower then scolipede is little more then a free iron defense to it, as there is no physical mon slower then an uninvested scolipede capable of killing it through an iron defense boost, and that includes mons with a powerful SE STAB like TTar and Medicham. Faster phys mons fair only slightly better, if they lack a boosting move, scolipede wins every time by protecting first then setting up in their face. If they do have a boosting move, then it turns into a 50/50 coin flip at best, if scolipede predicts the boosting move and gets an iron defense up, you are screwed because no boosting move besides shell smash can keep up with scolipede in both speed and attack/defense. If scolipede predicts an attack, he protects first and then iron defense. This is all assuming that the faster mon in question is capable of OHKOing a +0 scolipede, further limiting this particular pool of pokemon. Pokemon in this catagory include rock polish Terrakion, Breloom(spore), and Salamence. There are a grand total of four physical mons (3 OU viable ones) that I have found to be capable of anti-leading scolipede, and those are speed invested DD megazad-X, speed invested M-Pinsir, CB Infiltrator Ninjask (look, I really like ninjask, k?), and pretty much any talonflame. There are no known physical scolipede counters as +2 scolipede is capable of taking a friggen CB Tflame brave bird. Once scolipede gets out with one or two iron defense boosts and one to 3 speed boosts, your team is in trouble. As I have shown in multiple replays, if you don't hit the swap in hard as it comes in or the turn immediately after, you are going to get swept no matter how many priority users and revenge killers you packed into your team, because all your priority users are physical and therefore borderline useless in the face of those defense boosts and your revenge killers are prolly gonna get outsped and ohko'd. The only other option is to have a stupidly bulky phazer capable of taking a hit from the sweeper and phasing it out, but espeon kinda laughs at that.

Obviously, that's not the entire story, there are still special mons to consider. Special mons have an easier time preventing scolipede from getting boosts. If you have a special attacker with respectable special attack and/or an SE attack plus a speed boosting move, scolipede will be forced to hard swap. Furthermore, there are a few mons capable of outspeeding a +1 scolipede, which include deo-s, megazam, and trace gard (only if led into scoli), these mons can force a hard swap even without a speed boosting move. If you lack a speed boosting move and are not one of those 3 mons, then scolipede will be able to get his speed and BP out, this includes taunt thundy (only once obv). If scoli has a mon capable of swapping into your special mon and ohko it the next turn, then you will likely be forced to hard swap or sac your scoli anti-lead. Hard swapping isn't bad, as you are really only looking at a mon who is likely at about half-ish hp with +1 speed, but there are a decent number of mons who can be threatening with nothing more then +1 speed (like bulky zard-x), so the swap in is likely going to get hit rather hard, possibly 2hkod. Scolipede anti-leads are pretty much any mon with a speed boosting move like volca, rock polish lando-I, and agility proygon-z, as well as pre M-Evo gard. The only known special scolipede counters are mega alakazam, speedy deo-s, and sometimes taunt thundy-I (gotta get rid of that mental herb first).

So there are a grand total of three mons capable of swapping into scolipede and preventing it from swapping, 3. This is the primary basis I have for scolipede being broken, it is far too reliable at what it does, and the support it provides can frequently lead to significant holes being made in the enemy team. Furthermore, scolipede doesn't have to lead. It frequently does because it's a pretty good scout capable of passing at least speed at little personal risk, but it does not need to. Every team I have faced on the ladder has had at least one mon who is total setup bait for scolipede, and that mon is usually a physical revenge killer (usually Bisharp, ttar or Mamoswine). It is darn easy to lure out a revenge killer to, well, revenge kill, all it really takes is a fast threat like LO deo-s. When they take the bait and kill said threat, scolipede gets in and sets up for absolutely free, and unless scolipede is significantly weakened or the opponent is carrying one of scoli's 3 hard counters, scolipede gets 1 or more iron defense boosts and passes them out and there is nothing the opponent can do to stop this from happening. This lack of counterplay available to the opponent is a large portion of the reason why I believe scolipede is broken. The opponents best hope is that he can hit the swap in hard, if he fails to do so, he will probably be swept. Given that BP gives swap initiative, this is a rather difficult task because if the scoli user has even one pokemon that hard counters the mon you have out, it's gg from there.

That is not all though. Look again at the set, the third move specifically. That third move can be darn near anything. During this entire analysis, I have assumed scolipede only has three moves. But scolipede normally has four moves, and that fourth move can allow it to bypass a lot of his checks. For example, I personally like running rock slide on my scoli to pick off weakened genies and megazard-Y, both of whom are normally solid scoli checks and one of them is one of scoli's "counters". Earthquake allows it to hit heatran and aegis very hard, 2 other very solid scoli checks as the former is a bulky phaser and the latter hits darn near anything stupid hard, and megahorn allows it to catch psychics like megazam and deo-s on the swap in and is it's strongest neutral option. So not only is scoli difficult to stop, he has options for getting around mons that would normally be a hard stop or at least a very solid check to him. I personally dislike subs, as I think it's a waste of valuable health and free turns, but it does stop para, which scoli hates with a passion.

So what this analysis shows is that scolipede can "do his job" very reliably. It is very rare for me to go a game without pulling off at least one defense pass, and it's usually either against dumb stuff like haze blastoise and perish song whatever or against a very special attack heavy team. However, while I discussed some likely outcomes of scolipede providing this support, I did provide a few very clear methods of counter play, namely packing a very bulky phazer, having something that can stall out the swap in, even with boosts and hitting the swap in very hard on the special side. Of those three, only two of them can really be circumvented VIA magic bounce, which is the phasing and outstalling. There is only one mon that can outstall espeon and that is specially defensive CM clefable. There are several special mons which are difficult to find swap ins for, and those include Thundy, Lando-I, Aeigi, specs darn near anything, and NP anything. These are a lot of options on the offensive end, and it probably why offensive teams are able to handle scolipede so well (and probably a large part of the reason why I never got reqs).

So to close out, I ask three questions. 1. Is this analysis accurate? 2. If so, does this analysis describe a pokemon that is balanced in the OU meta? 3. If not, what did I miss?

I have used quick pass scolipede extensively on the suspect ladder, I peaked at 2.5K COIL and about 1.4K ELO. I have written this analysis based on my experiences on said ladder to the best of my ability. If you do believe that scolipede is unhealthy for the meta like I do, then option 2 will not solve that problem and only option 3 can address it. If you feel otherwise, then by all means vote option 2, especially if you want to preserve iron defense scolipede. I do not have any meaningful replays that I have not already posted on this thread, but if you want to see them again and don't feel like going back, feel free to PM me, I certainly have plenty of replays illustrating the points I have made in this analysis.

Quite the opposite (in some cases) actually since there are also BP teams in there.
Regardless, that adds nothing to this discussion.
No, that's the point, actually. Let's say there are 3 types of teams: BP, BP-counter, and Normal

It's established that BP-counter beats BP (because that's the point...)
BP beats Normal (or else there wouldn't be a suspect test...)
Normal beats BP-counter (is what you're arguing, and is probably true...)

BP-counter > BP > Normal > BP-counter seems to be indicative of balance rather than anything else. We can replace those terms with HO, Stall, and Balance if you like. The metagame is not unbalanced if there are counters to every playstyle. It's just more complex than some people are comfortable with.

You can't have your cake and eat it too, like in past gens where Normal WAS BP-counter and the relationship was a one-sided Normal >>>>> BP. Now BP is equally valid and introduces a triangle of team building types.

If some people are frustrated that they can't beat Water AND Grass with Fire, then we shouldn't cave in to them and remove Water and Grass.

When they take the bait and kill said threat, scolipede gets in and sets up for absolutely free, and unless scolipede is significantly weakened or the opponent is carrying one of scoli's 3 hard counters, scolipede gets 1 or more iron defense boosts and passes them out and there is nothing the opponent can do to stop this from happening. This lack of counterplay available to the opponent is a large portion of the reason why I believe scolipede is broken. The opponents best hope is that he can hit the swap in hard, if he fails to do so, he will probably be swept. Given that BP gives swap initiative, this is a rather difficult task because if the scoli user has even one pokemon that hard counters the mon you have out, it's gg from there.
Thing is without espeon I can easily send in something with roar/whirlwhind/dragon tail to get rid of scolipede easily.

You send in scolipede vs something that I can't touch.
I switch to skarmory
You boost
You baton pass or stay in
I whirlwhind.

Without espeon as part of the chain it becomes much easier to handle.

No magic bounce makes stall have a much easier time vs baton pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)