Un-Needed Aspects of Pokémon

I definitely agree that the censorship system needs some reworking. I can see why having a censor would be good, but it suffers seriously from the Scunthorpe problem (the accidental censorship of benign words, seen in Viola, Spike, and the like) and is incredibly easy to circumvent. Any stricter system would ban even more perfectly reasonable names. To be honest, I don't see how any simple algorithm or banlist would be able to prevent people from naming their Pokémon something bad if they put their mind to it.

Thus, I feel that the censorship system should be removed. As much as I dislike naming Pokémon bad words, there's really no way to feasibly pull it off in a manner that is effective with minimal side effects.

On another note, I don't see the point of the Battle Test. It's supposed to test how well you battle, but really the algorithm it uses to determine that is less than stellar. It gives you no prizes for completing it, unlike the Battle Maison.
You do get BP for completing it, more if you do better/have Mega Blaziken or Mega Kangaskhan trash the place silly, and can actually be quite helpful in tandem with an IV calculator due to bringing everything to level 50 for the battles. And you do earn Medals for it, though I doubt this is terribly exciting of an incentive to do this.

Honestly people should be allowed to nickname Pokemon whatever they want. It's a free country (not quite a free world lol). Just have a list of names like fuck, fuckwit, fucker, fuckface, fuckduck etc. that if a Pokemon matches you are not allowed to bring them online. Banning every name that contains part of a bad word is asinine and leaves less options for proper nicknames.

You do get BP for completing it, more if you do better/have Mega Blaziken or Mega Kangaskhan trash the place silly, and can actually be quite helpful in tandem with an IV calculator due to bringing everything to level 50 for the battles. And you do earn Medals for it, though I doubt this is terribly exciting of an incentive to do this.
Whoops, I stand corrected. I suppose it does have some use then (although personally I prefer the Battle Maison).

What about the fact that they don't let you skip cutscenes or tutorials? Sure, the tutorial might be helpful to a newcomer but to a long-term player, it is pretty much a time-wasting exercise. The cutscene thing might be so that you don't miss the story or not knowing where to go to next but even that is stretching it considering the linear gameplay and non-engaging storylines.

Incenses. They only cost money, do the exact same thing as other items like Mystic Water and the elemental plates and they only fill up your inventory.

• The Everstone. Just press B if you want it not to evolve so it can learn a certain move (or for a different Eeveelution)! Only really has three near-pointless purposes: so you don't have to spend 5 seconds every time a Pokémon you don't want to evolve levels up, to annoy people you're trading with or to sell for $100.
  • Having to delay evolution to get some moves. Which then means you can't get moves that the evolution only gets at a level below the one you're evolving it at.
  • The Focus Band. Seriously, what does it actually do? A small chance of a Pokémon not fainting! A very expensive item which is basically just 1/10th of a Focus Sash. And it costs exactly the same.

• The Everstone. Just press B if you want it not to evolve so it can learn a certain move (or for a different Eeveelution)! Only really has three near-pointless purposes: so you don't have to spend 5 seconds every time a Pokémon you don't want to evolve levels up, to annoy people you're trading with or to sell for $100.
You seem to be forgetting that the everstone has been one of the most important tools for breeding since about gen 3

Having to delay evolution to get some moves. Which then means you can't get moves that the evolution only gets at a level below the one you're evolving it at.
That's the point. It forces you to either make decisions or use a Heart Scale, to to avoid having some Pokemon overpowered in-game. It's a perfectly legitimate design choice.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
  • The Focus Band. Seriously, what does it actually do? A small chance of a Pokémon not fainting! A very expensive item which is basically just 1/10th of a Focus Sash. And it costs exactly the same.
Which is probably why they ended up giving the Everstone an alternate purpose for breeding.

Focus Band can work even if the Pokemon is holding it isn't at full health, so there's that (and multiple times a row, at that).

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Having to delay evolution to get some moves. Which then means you can't get moves that the evolution only gets at a level below the one you're evolving it at.
Agonist already covered the other two points, but this isn't much of a problem either, since you can just take a heart scale to the move relearner and learn any earlier-level moves on the evolved Pokemon's level-up movelist.

Agonist already covered the other two points, but this isn't much of a problem either, since you can just take a heart scale to the move relearner and learn any earlier-level moves on the evolved Pokemon's level-up movelist.
but you can't learn a move the pre-evo learns which the evolution doesn't (such as Spore, which was only learn-able by Shroomish but not Breloom)

Pressing B will not prevent a player-induced evolution. So the Everstone is helpful if I want someone to trade me a Haunter or something. Though why I'd want that is beyond my comprehension. (The Everstone also fails to prevent a Kadabra -> Alakazam evolution in Gen 4 and 5, oddly enough. That one just physically is impossible to stop.)

Is it really necessary to save your game and verify you do in fact wish to make a Wonder Trade every time you do so? I'd like to clear out some boxes of spitbacks, dangit.

Team Preview. The whole lead game made filtering competitive players from noncompetitive ones way easier, as a good player would think about a good strategy based around a good lead that beats most leads and a main sweeper. TP simply sucks my balls.

Is it really necessary to save your game and verify you do in fact wish to make a Wonder Trade every time you do so? I'd like to clear out some boxes of spitbacks, dangit.
I actually enjoy that. I was once WTing, then took a bath (I take like 20 min lol) and my 3DS ran out of power. I was worried about my game, then I realized I had saved already thanks to WT

Team Preview. The whole lead game made filtering competitive players from noncompetitive ones way easier, as a good player would think about a good strategy based around a good lead that beats most leads and a main sweeper. TP simply sucks my balls.
To tell the truth, I sort of like Team Preview. It allows you to plan ahead more instead of having your strategy ruined by a single Pokémon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)