Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I posted in the last page and didn't get any comments. The japanese pokemon site has those pictures showing the starters, legendaries and new mega evolutions. This picture has six slots empty, implying there will be six new megas. Now does it? Some slots are taken up by regular pokémon, like Groudon and Kyogre, so this means the six slots left don't necessarily will be filled by mega evolutions.

On the other hand, they're definitely not going to announce every single new mega before release, and since the website is just trying to showcase new things (that is, new things that are going to be revealed before the games come out to promote them), probably there are more new mega evolutions in the game than they're going to show on their website.

What do you guys think?

For those wanting to take another look, here's a link. Just scroll down and you'll see the pictures and slots I'm talking about.

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/oras/pokemon/14.html
If you see those slots you'll see regular sableye and regular diance are nowhere to be seen where they SHOULD be on display (and even if diance hasn't been officialy given Sableye is) so whatever remaining slots there are seems to be fairly arbitrary for now

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It could also just be that the images ran onto the second line, so they added placeholders to even the display. It's no use reading into it more.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think we're getting way off topic here. To be honest I would guess they've had it planned long in advanced and have't changed it but simply didn't include the content so that people wouldn't go finding it in the code and release all their new secrets they're now hyping for us.
If that was the case, then why weren't Hoopa, Diancie and Volcanion protected by the same measures? That's the crux of my argument: I understand that they could add moves by patching, or they could have all the moves in the games from the start, but they would have no reason whatsoever to half-ass both solutions at the same time. Why include some (note: still enough for a generation's worth of events) content in XY, then plan to add more as patches later? If you've got the means to add content to the first games, why not include it all in the first place? Likewise, if you have plans to add stuff through patches, why include extra content in XY at all?
Logistics-wise, pre-loading it all into XY would be the easiest thing, as there would be no need to issue patches. This is also the solution they've gone for for three generations straight.
Secrecy-wise, patches would ensure no leak of events beforehand, but if that was the motivation, they've ruined a lot of surprises by keeping a solid portion of the event Pokémon and moves in the games at launch.

You could argue that the content hidden in XY was a bunch of "red herrings", but it seems far too substantial for that. Had there been only one or two moves, and a few unused items, I might have been convinced, but XY had far too much stuff hidden on them for a simple distraction.

There's also the possibility that they will drop compatibility altogether, but that seems way too unlikely to be the case. Whatever tricks the new Groudon/Kyogre formes have up their sleeves, it would be in GameFreak's best interest to make them able to showcase their abilities in battle against XY cartridges. It's a part of their marketing strategy after all.

If that was the case, then why weren't Hoopa, Diancie and Volcanion protected by the same measures? That's the crux of my argument: I understand that they could add moves by patching, or they could have all the moves in the games from the start, but they would have no reason whatsoever to half-ass both solutions at the same time. Why include some (note: still enough for a generation's worth of events) content in XY, then plan to add more as patches later? If you've got the means to add content to the first games, why not include it all in the first place? Likewise, if you have plans to add stuff through patches, why include extra content in XY at all?
Logistics-wise, pre-loading it all into XY would be the easiest thing, as there would be no need to issue patches. This is also the solution they've gone for for three generations straight.
Secrecy-wise, patches would ensure no leak of events beforehand, but if that was the motivation, they've ruined a lot of surprises by keeping a solid portion of the event Pokémon and moves in the games at launch.

You could argue that the content hidden in XY was a bunch of "red herrings", but it seems far too substantial for that. Had there been only one or two moves, and a few unused items, I might have been convinced, but XY had far too much stuff hidden on them for a simple distraction.

There's also the possibility that they will drop compatibility altogether, but that seems way too unlikely to be the case. Whatever tricks the new Groudon/Kyogre formes have up their sleeves, it would be in GameFreak's best interest to make them able to showcase their abilities in battle against XY cartridges. It's a part of their marketing strategy after all.
I made a post about why they included those things earlier.
GF isn't an idiot. they knew they were going to get hacked rather quickly. They included some for hype and to make people think those were all of them so they could hype people themselves.

Cobraroll said:
If that was the case, then why weren't Hoopa, Diancie and Volcanion protected by the same measures? That's the crux of my argument: I understand that they could add moves by patching, or they could have all the moves in the games from the start, but they would have no reason whatsoever to half-ass both solutions at the same time.
I don't think they're red herrings I think these events are content they expected they might want to release on X and Y before ORAS came out but that it ended up not working out that way. It's not a group of 10 people working on these games they're huge teams working with in multiple much larger companies with tons and tons of moving pieces. So even if they want to plan for everything in advanced one thing that everything in the video game industry never nails down til relativity late are dates. ORAS might have been in the works but there is no grantee that something as trivial as a localization legality issue wan't gonna trip the process up 6 months. And if that happens then they have event content already in X and Y they can release to... "pass the time" so to speak.

They probably want to avoided "patches" as much as possible since forcing everyone who bought your game to download additional cotnent is a little messy. So the content that wasn't meant strictly for ORAS is in XY code so they can release it as need be moving forward. Mega Diance was planned for ORAS but Diance for XY. The content for each is then in each set of games respectively. I think the crux of the argument for everyone expecting new moves is: if they had to include the code for things such as mega stones in XY then how come we didn't all figure out about the 4 new megas we've been given long ago when we saw the Lati-stones? Obviously not all the data IS in XY. That's something we already know. So as to why they included those 3 event Pokemon, my best guess is they wanted to be prepared for possible date changes and not perfectly planned events without issuing patches.

....so i guess it just comes back to flexible planning. which makes even more sense for something like event and game release dates than it does for something as internal as deciding the mechanics and animation of moves.

Last edited:
If that was the case, then why weren't Hoopa, Diancie and Volcanion protected by the same measures? That's the crux of my argument: I understand that they could add moves by patching, or they could have all the moves in the games from the start, but they would have no reason whatsoever to half-ass both solutions at the same time.
Then how do you account for Mega Sceptile and the others not being in XY? It looks like they did half-ass both solutions at the same time. For flexibility? Who knows? Maybe some of them were intended as red herrings. We don't know for sure.

I'd say we fanbase don't know all the facts behind GF decisions, and so we're having trouble to come up with an explanation that encompasses all the contradictory evidence we're finding. I'm pretty sure Groudon and Kyogre are getting signature moves. Why weren't they in XY but Thousand Arrows was? I don't know. Why was Diance in XY but not its mega stone? I don't know. This doesn't change the fact those signature moves are very likely and mega Diance is confirmed.

We should all think that if someone brought up something such as mega Diance exactly one week ago the first (and plausible) objection would be: lol there was no diancienite in XY data, they plan this way in advance and no 6 gen pokemon got megas! Yet we all know what happened a couple of days later.

We should all think that if someone brought up something such as mega Diance exactly one week ago the first (and plausible) objection would be: lol there was no diancienite in XY data, they plan this way in advance and no 6 gen pokemon got megas! Yet we all know what happened a couple of days later.
So you didn't notice the massive discussion with Cobraroll and such which had most people theorizing that new megas would be in but in the style of Giratina-O, Kyurem forms and Therian Kamis?

I really don't like this 'Flexibility' argument. If they haven't reached a solid, final conclusion for what they're definitely doing for box art legends, something they've been planning for a long time now and are advertising the hell out of and relying on much more than Mega Starters, that really, really worries me and makes me wonder what the hell sort of planning team they've got.
Planning exists so they DON'T have to worry and change little things in the future. If it doesn't work out, well, tough. They have to reach some sort of definite conclusion before releasing the game, or else what the hell does that imply for any sort of planning process in the future?
If I go and watch a newly-released movie in the cinema and it's like 20 minutes away from a significant death scene, the writers don't just suddenly come into the cinema and say "Yeah, sorry guys, but we're going to have to pause the movie and take it away for a bit because just right now we thought of this REALLY cool thing that could make it better. We obviously didn't think this through during the planning process; sorry for the hassle, we'll get it back to you in a bit."
If you're making a product, I'm sorry, you have to be serious and straight forward about it. You can't just pussy-foot your way around it and think "oh maybe I can do this to MAYBE add some thing in later". You have to be absolutely sure what you're making and selling is the definite final product you think is the best thing. And if it doesn't work out? Well, tough. Better luck next time.
this is kind of hilarious how PERSONALLY OFFENDED you are that a game company (with tons of people working on different games that probably can't always coordinate as well as they would like), instead of planning out all the details of a game more than a year before its release and implementing them in a different game where they would hardly be relevant and would not see use until the former game came out, decided to include the ability to patch later content into one of their games, as if that's actively detrimental to gameplay or something.

I think you should look at the idea of patches as a larger picture rather than specific to Pokemon X & Y.

Other games with expansions, online content etc (typically MMOs) that patch things in usually lay some groundwork in the base game for subsequent patches and I think Game Freak have just followed the same practice with Hoopa etc, putting into X&Y as much as they felt they needed prior to X&Y going gold, but also leaving themselves able to go back in and patch the game once OR/AS hit.

Everyone seems to share the idea that by the time X&Y were released, ORAS was well under development.
And every pokemon game starts with you picking a starter pokemon.

I find it hard to believe that they didn't already have Mega Sceptile and Mega Swampert planned seeing as how we got the Torchic event at X&Y release, so going by the logic that X&Y will never ever be patched, you need to ask/explain why they didn't include the code for Mega Sceptile and Mega Swampert and their respective mega stones at the same time as they added Mega Blaziken?

When you compare how online friendly X&Y are compared to any of the DS games, you can really see how Game Freak expects users to have access to wi-fi in order to maximise enjoyment of the game and by extension, will be able to patch the game as and when required.

In short; no-one on this forum can speak with any authority on this matter, dredging up past generational practices that are no longer relevant as we have moved to the 3DS are weak arguments at best and it is my own strong belief that X&Y will receive a compatibility patch once ORAS goes gold to ensure that everyone playing Gen 6 is doing so with the same deck of cards.

this is kind of hilarious how PERSONALLY OFFENDED you are that a game company (with tons of people working on different games that probably can't always coordinate as well as they would like), instead of planning out all the details of a game more than a year before its release and implementing them in a different game where they would hardly be relevant and would not see use until the former game came out, decided to include the ability to patch later content into one of their games, as if that's actively detrimental to gameplay or something.
Less I find it offensive, more I find it a ridiculous idea.
Then again, guess you could say it offends my intelligence... *shrug*

So you didn't notice the massive discussion with Cobraroll and such which had most people theorizing that new megas would be in but in the style of Giratina-O, Kyurem forms and Therian Kamis?
I do remember, and Cobraroll was a bit on the fence because of how the mega evolution animation and the mega stone would be handled. You two didn't rule it out, but you were sure they could pose a problem to compatibility. I guess the same argument applies here now, doesn't it? I would'nt be surprised if GF found a way around it so we could play all the mega/new forms in XY without any sort of limitations. If they do this for new forms/evolutions, they can do it for new attacks as well. We can't be sure that's the case, but that certainly would be better than restricting trades and using the same sprite for different forms.

There's really no more productive discussion left on the issue. There is reasonable evidence for both sides, but ultimately we don't know what game freak is planning.

As for secret bases, I couldn't be happier they're back. Hopefully ORAS keeps the PSS system from XY to mix bases with all sorts of people.

My expectation is that you won't "trade" bases with people though PSS (or at least not with "passerbys" though perhaps with people you interact) but that secret bases will be shared using the 3DS Street Pass feature.

Well Hoenn actually has a Safari zone: http://www.serebii.net/pokearth/hoenn/safarizone.shtml

It will be interesting to see if they re-use the Friend Safari mechanic or if they go back to the old style of Safari Zone, or maybe even a mix of the 2?
Funny enough, something I noticed in the E3 trailer because I'm a nerd is that Pikachu was shown being caught in a Poké Ball - something impossible in RSE because it was only in the Safari Zone. So this either means Pikachu is available elsewhere, something happened to the Safari or this is a Beta.

Also, just realized. If Mega Sableye gets something like Analytic, Stall finally has some use and viability.

Funny enough, something I noticed in the E3 trailer because I'm a nerd is that Pikachu was shown being caught in a Poké Ball - something impossible in RSE because it was only in the Safari Zone. So this either means Pikachu is available elsewhere, something happened to the Safari or this is a Beta.

Also, just realized. If Mega Sableye gets something like Analytic, Stall finally has some use and viability.
To tell the truth, Analytic probably makes the most flavor sense from the description of Sableye that Serebii has up.

Now that you've mentioned it, Stall fits the description of Mega Sableye perfectly: "From behind the shelter of the jewel it can exploit the opponent weaknesses and readily take advantage of any openings".

Competitively it would pretty much suck though. Mega Sableye would need a significant offense boost to scare anything since it can't use LO/Choice items regardless of its ability. If it gets an offensive boost (which is unlikely), then its average defenses wouldn't see much of an increase, which is particularly awful if you consider it's likely to take a hit before lauching an Analytic boosted move. So please, no Analytic Mega Sableye. This guy likes attacking first, either through Prankster or through offensive Priority (Fake Out, Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch).

I would not be surprised at all if they redo pokemon locations, especially safari pokes to make room for friend safari stuff. The analytic makes sense, and it'd be something I support completely as prankster is, in my opinion, the most annoying ability in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)