Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's also a lot of speculation about whether Steven or Wallance will be the Champ. I kind of hope that either it's game specific (like gen V's 8th gym) or that Seven is the Champ and Wallace acts as a sort of "champion" or "boss" for the Pokemon Contest asspect of the game (in addition to being a gym leader)

BTW, Pokemon Contests!! Straight up the coostest and most sensible side competition in any Pokemon game. I'm really looking forward to them. I kind of wish they stuck around in other gens but I guess it's just one more gem (like secret bases) that made gen III the best ;) I can't wait to see how they play out in 3D with updated sequences and things. I just really hope they don't over personify the pokes.

There's also a lot of speculation about whether Steven or Wallance will be the Champ. I kind of hope that either it's game specific (like gen V's 8th gym) or that Seven is the Champ and Wallace acts as a sort of "champion" or "boss" for the Pokemon Contest asspect of the game (in addition to being a gym leader)

BTW, Pokemon Contests!! Straight up the coostest and most sensible side competition in any Pokemon game. I'm really looking forward to them. I kind of wish they stuck around in other gens but I guess it's just one more gem (like secret bases) that made gen III the best ;) I can't wait to see how they play out in 3D with updated sequences and things. I just really hope they don't over personify the pokes.
Will I be shot down for saying I much preferred the Pokéathlon and really didn't like 3rd Gen Contests compared to 4th Gen Contests?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Considering what they did to HGSS's Trainer House, I'm not expecting much from Secret Base battles. The NPC trainer will probably give a berry or a Nugget instead of EXP.

After following the thread for a while, I feel sorry for Wallace because everyone is dumping on him :P I totally understand why - Steven is just that much cooler and Wallace just randomly replaced Steven in Emerald - but in the manga, Wallace was the real champion and gave Steven the position so he could go woo Winona. After learning that, I decided to cut Wallace some slack.

(Not to mention Milotic gave me a much harder time than Metagross because yes, after hours and hours of surfing, and diving, and surfing some more, I never bothered to train up a grass or electric type, and Swampert had to crit earthquake before it would go down...)

Speaking of Winona, I almost wish that the Fortree Gym battle would be a sky battle. That would be super awesome! But I really doubt that's going to happen...maybe it should be an option during rematch.

I'm pretty excited about the potential events in ORAS. Back in the days of GBA, without a link cable or adapter, there was basically no way to get things like the Eon Ticket or whatever. Now with WFC I can finally visit Southern Island and potential other islands with other gen legendaries. Hoping that Shaymin would be one of the random non-Hoenn legendaries! Don't think we've had access to Shaymin since DPPt.

In my opinion, if they flat out gave each Elite Four member a mega evolution, it would just make the whole process a bit cliche; if they gave it to every strong trainer, it would just become overused and less extraordinary. To just to give it to the Elite Four without any work or reason just doesn't feel right, and would be a mistake, plot wise. As it is, Steven is the only sure character to have a mega, if only because of the way he is being developed.

However, if they were to put more of a story behind the character, then I certainly could see it happening. Strong bonds are said to be necessary, after all, and what better way to show that, than to give some character development. For example, if they go through with the process that they used with the gym leaders in Emerald, and build and expand their teams over a series of rematches, and maybe implement some backstories like they did in Unova 2, then I wouldn't be opposed seeing them have Mega's themselves on their final teams. If some of that process could be applied to the Elite Four, then all the better. The truth is, logically, Gym Leaders, Elite Four members, Professors, and even the kids who have the sponsorship of said Professors, would be in positions to hear and learn about it, even if Joey and Dana aren't.
I like your way of thinking. Cool, well-developed and interesting characters are awesome and I would love this. Even without it though I really don't see the damage or negative impact in E4 having megas. The E4 has almost never had a large character prsense. They're more like..... that gang that's working under the newest bad guy in a shonen manga. So I'm generalzing an arch type to characters beyond the E4. But you know what I mean? They sort of come out of nowhere and it's like "oh you thought the gym leaders were tough, well you don't even know what tough is" They get hyped and their power is thrown around but they're mostly 1d, fairly eccentric characters who you get to fan over for their one or two 1d aspect(s), as part of what makes them so cool is the fact that they were so powerful and mysterious that they didn't even feel the need to show their face to you until you were pretty powerful yourself. I think this trope is getting pretty close to what I'm talking about.
Anyway. That's what the E4 generally is, to me, at least. And given that they're the highest level of power I wouldn't be that bothered if they each had a mega but lacked deeper character (in fact I wouldn't be bothered AND I would have more fun overcoming them) But I also would enjoy it if their characters got explored more as well. I think I'm just gonna enjoy this no matter what, haha

PS: Ditto Belle, Wallace is a real cool dude and I love how obsessed with beauty he is, haha.

Last edited:
If Steven ends up being champion, then what happens to Juan? I know he was only in Emerald, I don't see why they wouldn't include elements of Emerald like they did with HGSS and Crystal (and, Brendan & May's ORAS design is an updated blend of their RS and E designs (the green backpack/pouch)). I wonder what other elements of Emerald will be included... Battle Frontier is obviously the top of everyone's list, but gym leader rematches would also be nice.

Speaking of rematches, the E4 will hopefully have improved rematch teams. Phoebe and Glacia in particular need to have their teams overhauled, just so much repetition.

Oh and Pokeathlon is amazing, but contests are pretty fun too. Contests will be great in 3D.

Will I be shot down for saying I much preferred the Pokéathlon and really didn't like 3rd Gen Contests compared to 4th Gen Contests?
I'll bring the bulletproof vests for both of us

Also, how do you guys think Primal Groudon and Kyogre's buffed abilities would be? I was thinking about a new climate called "Drought Sun", where Fire-type attacks get a x2 bonus and Water types get a x4 resist, while also being endless. Same with "Drizzle Rain". I mean, imagine weather wars along with Mega Blaziken, Kanghaskan, Mewtwo, Gengar trappers and Xerneas.

Last edited:
I like your way of thinking. Cool, well-developed and interesting characters are awesome and I would love this. Even without it though I really don't see the damage or negative impact in E4 having megas. The E4 has almost never had a large character prsense. They're more like..... that gang that's working under the newest bad guy in a shonen manga. So I'm generalzing an arch type to characters beyond the E4. But you know what I mean? They sort of come out of nowhere and it's like "oh you thought the gym leaders were tough, well you don't even know what tough is" They get hyped and their power is thrown around but they're mostly 1d, fairly eccentric characters who you get to fan over for their one or two 1d aspect(s), as part of what makes them so cool is the fact that they were so powerful and mysterious that they didn't even feel the need to show their face to you until you were pretty powerful yourself. I think this trope is getting pretty close to what I'm talking about.
Anyway. That's what the E4 generally is, to me, at least. And given that they're the highest level of power I wouldn't be that bothered if they each had a mega but lacked deeper character (in fact I wouldn't be bothered AND I would have more fun overcoming them) But I also would enjoy it if their characters got explored more as well. I think I'm just gonna enjoy this no matter what, haha
Yeah, I understand what you mean about the Elite Four being Mini-Bosses; honestly, the Elite Four seems to be one of the areas in the games where you have to refer to the Anime or the Manga to get an idea of their backstories and any in-depth character. Discounting the Champions, who actually tend to be fleshed out a bit more, out of six iterations of the Elite Four, only Lance, Koga, Lorelei, and maybe that Psychic girl from Unova who was apparently a Frontier Brain in Johto (which I only know because Bulbapedia exists) have anything that approaches a notable backstory, and of those, Lance is the only one to actually receive some memorable onscreen development. Just go ahead and replace Bruno and Agatha with Koga and Psychic-girl, and the Kanto/Johto area may have something approaching an Elite Four that aren't cardboard cutouts! Honestly, the underuse and underdevelopment of the Elite Four is probably one of Pokemon's biggest failings, as any given E4 member has the potential to become revered and well liked, if they were given some actual personality; just look at Lance's popularity.

Also, note that Siebold does have a Mega Blastoise in the Anime-canon, which is probably about as in-depth as we're going to get with him, discounting the spin that the Manga will inevitably put on his character.

...Just watch the returning 'Contests' be some unholy mixture of Super Contests and Musicals; methinks that the original contest format may be a bit too "simple" for what they can do now. Oh, so much joy to be had!...[/sarcasm]

I think the new contest will probably make use of the gyroscope... oh please don't use facial recognition somehow. We know how well that worked in Amie...

I honestly think that a perpetuation ability makes most sense for the Primals. Some kind of ability that automatically sets up the weather and causes it to stay on the field infinitely until Groudon/Kyogre switch out.

Or watch it be just a built in Heat Rock/Damp Rock...

Well there are two things that make contests great in the original games.

The first reason is if you actually think about Pokemon and the world it is, contests make so much sense. A world were people capture and train wild animals. In real life contests are the ultimate show of how well your animal is trained (you know... ethics and consciousnesses get in the way of animal fights irl) The Pokeathelon is... "plausible" but not like how they have it. People don't race trained dogs against race horses. In the Pokemon world no one would ever race Pochyena against Rapidash or see if a Machop can out lift a Kakuna. Realistically one Ludicolo would try to out swim other Ludicolo but not other species. And probably only a few speices of Pokemon could compete in interesting ways (i.e. Raphidahs race but what do Kakuna's do? Out harden each other?) Contest thought, they're just right. Panels of judges evaluating how well you have tamed your wild animal and trying to quantify how good it's traits are. It just seems so exactly like what you would expect in a Pokemon world were Pokemon are more... animistic. (the version of Pokemon I like) there's also the version of Pokemon that closer to the anime were Pokemon aren't animals but have human level thoughts and emotions and are over personified to the point where contests seems silly and instead we should all put on a musical together (clearly the worse version of Pokemon, lol, jk it's your opinion but I like it A LOT less personally)

But the second reason is that contests actually fit Pokemon's play style more than anything else. While all the onther side compititions are more like.... the mini games from a Mario game collection or something, Contests are both turn based and strategy based. And I like how contests give new usesfull-ness to moves that may or may not be useful in battles. I also liked how you can potentially raise two of the same pokemon but one is meant for battles and another for contests. It's adds tons of variety.

I would love to see the scope of contest expand more but only if it's higher levels of complexity to the actual turn based strategy part and not 3ds facial recognition crap. Actually I'm getting ahead of myself but if contests came back in full and allow multilayer contests I wouldn't be too surprised if a small community sprung up here on smogon dedicated to competitive contesting (I know I would get into it)

Perhaps they could have Wallace be more of a presence in the Pokemon contests rather than at a gym or the Pokemon League. He could be a sort of mentor and fellow competitor at high levels. That would allow Juan to be the 8th gym leader and Steven to be the champion. If they really wanted, they could have Wallace be a strong trainer the player can battle post-Pokemon League as well.

JackTheGordie: I agree on both your points. There need to be more rival battles, especially since we never see the rival's starters final evo. Also, Route 110 fight was brutal, and I chose Torchic.

Wishy: Maybe Juan can be what Steven was in Emerald if Steven is the champ in ORAS.

Well there are two things that make contests great in the original games.

The first reason is if you actually think about Pokemon and the world it is, contests make so much sense. A world were people capture and train wild animals. In real life contests are the ultimate show of how well your animal is trained (you know... ethics and consciousnesses get in the way of animal fights irl) The Pokeathelon is... "plausible" but not like how they have it. People don't race trained dogs against race horses. In the Pokemon world no one would ever race Pochyena against Rapidash or see if a Machop can out lift a Kakuna. Realistically one Ludicolo would try to out swim other Ludicolo but not other species. And probably only a few speices of Pokemon could compete in interesting ways (i.e. Raphidahs race but what do Kakuna's do? Out harden each other?) [...]
I respect your opinion on the original contests and yes they were fitting into the Pokemon concept.
But regarding Pokeathlon you are just plain wrong!

Getting your first Trainer Star and a new colour for the TrainerCard for racing with a Magikarp against some horses feels great.
Jumping, lifting, hating on Stantler for being hard to beat... it were one of the most varied, early available and enjoyable mini games in any Pokemon game, not to speak about the great prices they offer!

But back to topic: Hoenn will not have Pokeathlon, so let´s hope for the good contests!

This is about 100 pages long already! Alright, I'll throw my two cents about contests.

I'm hoping they keep the simple yet successful turn desing. Really, if they do some sort of Nimbasa Musical shit, I'll fucking blow up Game Freak's building or something. I want them to be on 3D, too. Also, imagine Contests with a global multiplayer, where you compete with players all around the world, competing for many interesting prices such as PBs, money, or PP Max's

you know... they could do that.... and they could also expand on berries, since gen 3 was technically the generation of berries.

Cmon game freak give me that Sitrus + Liechi fusion berry already pls ;;

RASFA

Banned deucer.
well in x and ys players guide it says there are 14 berries i think you cannot get in x and y and have to be traded probley from oras so we will get more berries then x and y in this game

If Game Freak would just give berries such as Pinap and Grepa a use again, I will be happy.
Do you think they'll make Feebas evolve by Beauty again? That'll give some berries a use.

Yay, I made the first post on page 100 :'D

well in x and ys players guide it says there are 14 berries i think you cannot get in x and y and have to be traded probley from oras so we will get more berries then x and y in this game
probley not because in hg and ss have kanto region but transferring one from lg and fr it will say met in kanto and not tell location
Please try to get a minimum level of grammar on your posts. My eyes are starting to hurt by reading them already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)