RU Shiftry

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
QC Checks: [ Spirit ] [ SilentVerse ] [ New Breed ]
GP Checks: [ Minus ] [ fleurdyleurse ]

WICKED POKEMON

Overview
########
Shiftry jumped from being a niche NU sweeper to one of the best assets to have on an offensive team in just one generation thanks to the Defog buff. It gives Shiftry a niche no other Pokemon has, being a strong offensive Defogger with no safe switch-ins. With Life Orb, Shiftry's good Attack can cripple defensive cores early game with Knock Off, and its access to Sucker Punch means it can act as a revenge killer late-game. This also means that Braviary can't deter Shiftry from using Defog, as Shiftry can KO it on the switch with Knock Off and Sucker Punch. Not only does Shiftry have good Attack, but it also has good Special Attack and Leaf Storm to threaten Pokemon such as Alomomola and Rhyperior. Sadly, it's average Speed makes it a bit hard to use Defog against offensive teams, and its poor Grass / Dark typing along with its below average defenses means it is KOed easily. The fact that its STAB options are walled by common Pokemon like Cobalion and Virizion doesn't help either. Still, Shiftry can make use of its typing to check threatening Pokemon such as Slowking, Clawitzer, Heliolisk, and Jolteon, and possibly take them out with the appropriate move.

Defog
########
name: Defog
move 1: Defog
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Leaf Storm
ability: Chlorophyll
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Lonely / Hasty

Moves
========
Defog is the reason to use Shiftry, and it's an important move to have on a lot of teams as it can clear hazards from both sides of the field and support Shiftry's team. Knock Off is a strong STAB move that cripples a lot of Pokemon, and it's very hard to switch into. Sucker Punch is good to have on Shiftry since it also gets STAB, and gives it a way of getting past faster Pokemon like Heliolisk and Jolteon. It also means it can revenge kill some Pokemon. Leaf Storm means that Shiftry will be able to KO Pokemon like Alomomola, Rhyperior, and Gligar, though the latter can only be KOed after it has taken a Knock Off. Leaf Storm also allows Shiftry to serve as a potential wallbreaker with its decent offensive stats and Knock Off, which is the bane of any defensive Pokemon.

Set Details
========
The EVs are to maximize Attack and Speed, with the remaining dumped into Special Attack. This allows Shiftry to outspeed Pokemon like neutral-natured Tyrantrum and everything below it, while it Speed ties with Adamant Gallade. Life Orb is the item of choice as it boosts Shiftry's damage output. Additionally, a Hasty nature can be used to make Shiftry speed tie with Jolly Gallade, Kabutops, and outspeed anything slower. It could also out-prioritize Adamant Hitmonlee's Mach Punch, but it will make Shiftry lose out on a lot of power.

Usage Tips
========
Shiftry is a Pokemon that can be used throughout the entire match, be it early-, mid-, or late-game. If you see an opportunity to use Defog, take it, otherwise Knock Off is a safe option to go for. Use Shiftry to cripple defensive cores and walls like Rhyperior and Alomomola with Knock Off and Leaf Storm early-game, and to hit Pokemon such as Amoonguss hard on the switch with Knock Off. If possible, save Shiftry for late-game cleaning or to act as a revenge killer. It can also come in mid-game if a Defog is needed. With a bit of prediction, it can switch into Pokemon like Slowking, Rhyperior, and Clawitzer, and take them out, but beware of a possible Scald burn in Slowking and Clawitzer's case, and they all could potentially KO Shiftry if it switches into the wrong move.

Team Options
========
Pokemon that like entry hazards off of the field generally like having Shiftry as a partner. This includes Moltres and Delphox, especially because Shiftry is able to get past their counters, Slowking and Jellicent. Additionally, pairing it with Assault Vest Slowking creates a sort of Fire / Water / Grass core which can work pretty nicely, both offensively and defensively, with Slowking being able to easily pivot in and out. Doublade synergizes well with Shiftry since it can come in on Cobalion and Virizion, two of Shiftry's counters, and use them as set up fodder.

Other Options
########
A set consisting of Swords Dance, Knock Off, Seed Bomb, and Sucker Punch can be used, but it is generally outclassed by other Pokemon, such as Zoroark and Virizion, and Defog is one of the main reasons of using Shiftry. Nasty Plot with Giga Drain and Dark Pulse is another option, but it's also outclassed. Since Shiftry lures in Cobalion easily, Focus Blast can be used to take it by surprise, though it doesn't have much space for it. Explosion can be utilized on any set to go out with a bang and possibly allow Shiftry to take something with it, but Shiftry doesn't really have much place for it. Finally, Shiftry can utilize a Sunny Day set with Solar Beam for sun teams, but as mentioned before, Defog is one of the few reasons to use Shiftry, and gives it its niche.

Checks & Counters
########
**Cobalion**: Cobalion resists both of Shiftry's STAB moves, and can potentially get a Justified boost by switching into Knock Off. It also has Close Combat to KO Shiftry.

**Virizion**: It can appreciate a Justified boost, can take anything Shiftry throws at it, and retaliate with Close Combat.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon that can take a Sucker Punch can easily revenge kill Shiftry. This includes Braviary, Hitmonlee, Moltres, and Zoroark, among others.

**Pokemon that resist its STABs**: Pokemon that can take Knock Off, Leaf Storm or Sucker Punch can easily counter Shiftry. This includes Drapion, Skuntank, Hitmontop, Emboar, Druddigon, Physically Defensive Amoonguss, and Tangrowth.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I believe this is QC ready :] need some input on whether SD should have its own set or stay in OO, and whether NP should be mentioned in OO or not.

aVocado

@ Everstone
"One of the best offensive users of Defog, especially because it's very hard to switch into."

I'd add that unlike Golbat and Gligar, Braviary has a difficult time switching into shiftry, so that's a + that should be added to the overview or that line at least

"90/60/60 defenses aren't anything special, and make it easily susceptible to being revenge-killed."

instead of saying that it can be revenge-killed, i'd mention that it's poor bulk, unfortunate defensive typing, and middling speed make it difficult for shiftry to get a defog off versus offensive teams

"Not much coverage other than its STAB options."

remove this, it's not important seeing as how it wouldn't use anything other than its STABs anyway

remove aromatisse and jellicent as partners, you should be pairing shiftry with offensive mons if anything else

i'd mention a positive speed-boosting nature in set details so that it can speed tie with jolly gallade and other max speed base 80s at least

QC Approved 1/3
Done. I'm skeptical about a +spe nature though, since losing power on Knock Off kinda blows, especially since with Lonely it has a very high chance of KOing Gligar with Knock Off + Leaf Storm. But I added it and mentioned that it'll miss some notable KOs and the damage output would be lower.

Thanks for the check.

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't think you really need to mention an ability tbh. All of Shiftry's abilities are extremely niche and generally won't come into play most matches (Early Berd means you take less time to wake up from Hypnosis or something). Otherwise:

QC APPROVED 2/3

aVocado

@ Everstone
Removed mention of Shiftry's abilities. I also just realized that Pickpocket is illegal with Sucker Punch, and that's why I had a line about the ability (to show that Chloro is better), but I guess thats not needed.

Thanks SilentVerse , expect the write-up anytime tomorrow. :]

aVocado

@ Everstone
This is written up! It's my first time doing so, so excuse me if I made any mistakes :] I tried to follow the grammar/spelling standards as much as I can. This is ready for the 3rd QC check, I believe.

Okay you need to generally expand on things just make the analysis longer lol, also remove the dark pulse mention because sucker punch is actually really important. Let me know when you have done this and I'll be happy to approve :]

aVocado

@ Everstone
Cool, I thought analysis should be made as short as possible (as in, no fluff) while still being detailed and thorough. I'll work on it more tomorrow since i'm tired as hell right now, and add some stuff.

thanks new breed :]

mention focus blast somewhere, a good lure to cobalion.

give a biggest mention to hasty nature (maybe second slash after lonely).

that looks pretty good

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########

Shiftry jumped from being a niche NU sweeper into one of the best assets to have on an offensive team in just one generation,(RC) thanks to the buffed Defog buff. It gives Shiftry a niche no other Pokemon has, which is being a strong offensive Defogger,(RC) with no safe switch-ins. Shiftry has good aAttack, and with Life Orb, it means that it can cripple defensive cores early game with Knock Off, and its access to Sucker Punch means it can act as a revenge killer late-game. This also means that Braviary can't deter Shiftry from using Defog, as it can kill KO it on the switch with Knock Off and Sucker Punch. Not only does Shiftry have good Attack, but it also has good Special Attack, and Leaf Storm to make full use of it and threaten Pokemon such as Alomomola and Rhyperior. Sadly, it's average speed makes it a bit hard to pull off a Defog against offensive teams, and its poor Grass / Dark typing along with its below average defenses, means it is KOed easily. and with tThe fact that its STAB options are walled by common Pokemon like Cobalion and Virizion don't doesn't help either. Still, Shiftry can make use of its typing as it can check threatening Pokemon like Slowking, Clawitzer, Heliolisk, and Jolteon, and possibly take them out with the appropriate move.

Defog
########

Moves
========

Defog is the reason to use Shiftry, and it's an important move to have on a lot of teams as it can clear hazards from both sides of the field and support Shiftry's team. Knock Off is a strong STAB move that knocks items off, which really cripples a lot of Pokemon, and it's very hard to switch into. Sucker Punch is good to have on Shiftry since its also gets STAB, and gives it a way of getting past faster Pokemon like Heliolisk and Jolteon. It also means it can revenge kill some Pokemon. Leaf Storm means that Shiftry will be able to KO Pokemon,(AC) like Alomomola, Rhyperior, and Gligar, after they have it had taken a Knock Off, and allows Shiftry to serve as a potential wallbreaker,(RC) with it's decent offensive stats and, as mentioned, Knock Off, which is the bane of any defensive Pokemon.

Set Details
========

The EVs are to maximize attack and speed (capitalize both stats), with the remaining dumped into Special Attack. This allows you outspeed Pokemon like neutral-natured Tyrantrum,(AC) and everything below it, and speed tie Adamant Gallade. Life Orb is the item of choice,(RC) as it boosts up Shiftry's damage output. Additionally, a Hasty nature can be used to make Shiftry speed tie with Jolly Gallade, Kabutops and outspeed anything slower, i. It could also out-prioritize Adamant Hitmonlee's Mach Punch, but it will make Shiftry lose out on a lot of power.

Usage Tips
========

Shiftry is a Pokemon that can be used throughout the entire match, be it early-, mid-, or late-game. If you see an opportunity to use Defog, take it, otherwise Knock Off is a safe option to go for. Use Shiftry to cripple defensive cores and walls with Knock Off and Leaf Storm early-game, like Rhyperior,(RC) and Alomomola, and to hit Pokemon hard on the switch with Knock Off, like Amoonguss. If possible, save it for late-game cleaning or to act as a revenge killer. It can also come in mid-game if a Defog is needed. With a bit of prediction, it can switch into Pokemon like Slowking, Rhyperior, and Clawitzer, and take them out, but beware of a possible Scald burn in Slowking and Clawitzer's case, and they all could potentially kill KO Shiftry if it switches into the wrong move.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that like entry hazards out off of the field generally like having Shiftry as a partner. This includes Moltres and Delphox, especially because Shiftry is able to get past their counters, Slowking and Jellicent. Additionally, pairing it with Assault Vest Slowking creates a sort of Fire / Water / Grass core which can work pretty nicely, both offensively and defensively, with Slowking being able to easily pivot in and out. Doublade synergizes well with Shiftry since it can come in on Cobalion and Virizion, two of Shiftry's counters, and use them as set up fodder.

Other Options
########

A set consisting of Swords Dance, Knock Off, Seed Bomb, and Sucker Punch can be used, but it is generally outclassed by other Pokemon, such as Zoroark and Virizion, and Defog is one of the main reasons of using Shiftry. Nasty Plot with Giga Drain and Dark Pulse is another option, but it's also outclassed. Since Shiftry lures in Cobalion easily, Focus Blast can be used to take it by surprise, though it doesn't have much space for it. Explosion can be used on any set to go with a bang and possibly take something with you, but Shiftry doesn't really have much place for it. Finally, Shiftry can utilize a Sunny Day set with Solar Beam for sun teams, but as mentioned before, Defog is one of the few reasons to use Shiftry, and gives it its niche.

Checks & Counters
########
**Cobalion**: Cobalion resists both of Shiftry's STAB moves, and can potentially get a Justified boost by switching into Knock Off. It also has Close Combat to kill KO Shiftry.

**Virizion**: Same as Cobalion, it can appreciate a Justified boost, and can take anything Shiftry throws at it and retaliate with Close Combat.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon that can take a Sucker Punch can easily revenge kill Shiftry. This includes Braviary, Hitmonlee, Moltres, and Zoroark, among others.

**Pokemon that resist its STABs**: Pokemon who can take Knock Off, Leaf Storm or Sucker Punch. This includes Drapion, Skuntank, Hitmontop, Emboar, Druddigon, Physically Defensive Amoonguss, and Tangrowth.
GP 1/2

aVocado

@ Everstone
Minus just a little nitpick, but "like Alomomola, Rhyperior, and Gligar, after they have it had taken a Knock Of" the last part is only for Gligar (as leaf storm OHKOs the former two anyway), and that's what I was trying to show in the initial write-up, how do we go about that?

edit: implemented everything but that line, I'll see what you or another GP member do about it.

Last edited:

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oooooooh, ok, remove the comma that I added before "like", and make it look like this:
like Alomomola, Rhyperior, and Gligar, after it has taken a Knock Off
Basically change "had" to "has".

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Amateur check here.

additions, removals, comments

Overview
########

Shiftry jumped from being a niche NU sweeper into to one of the best assets to have on an offensive team in just one generation thanks to the Defog buff. It gives Shiftry a niche no other Pokemon has,(AC) being a strong offensive Defogger with no safe switch-ins. With Life Orb, Shiftry's has good Attack, and with Life Orb, it can cripple defensive cores early game with Knock Off, and its access to Sucker Punch means it can act as a revenge killer late-game. This also means that Braviary can't deter Shiftry from using Defog, as it Shiftry can KO it on the switch with Knock Off and Sucker Punch. Not only does Shiftry have good Attack, but it also has good Special Attack,(RC) and Leaf Storm to make full use of it and threaten Pokemon such as Alomomola and Rhyperior. Sadly, it's average speed Speed makes it a bit hard to pull off a use Defog against offensive teams, and its poor Grass / Dark typing along with its below average defenses,(RC) means it is KOed easily. The fact that its STAB options are walled by common Pokemon like Cobalion and Virizion doesn't help either. Still, Shiftry can make use of its typing as it can to check threatening Pokemon like Slowking, Clawitzer, Heliolisk, and Jolteon, and possibly take them out with the appropriate move.

Defog
########

Moves
========

Defog is the reason to use Shiftry, and it's an important move to have on a lot of teams as it can clear hazards from both sides of the field and support Shiftry's team. Knock Off is a strong STAB move that knocks items off, which cripples a lot of Pokemon, and it's very hard to switch into. Sucker Punch is good to have on Shiftry since it also gets STAB, and gives it a way of getting past faster Pokemon like Heliolisk and Jolteon. It also means it can revenge kill some Pokemon. Leaf Storm means that Shiftry will be able to KO Pokemon like Alomomola, Rhyperior, and Gligar, after it has they have taken a Knock Off, and it allows Shiftry to serve as a potential wallbreaker with it's its decent offensive stats and, as mentioned, Knock Off,(AC) which is the bane of any defensive Pokemon.

Set Details
========

The EVs are to maximize Attack and Speed, with the remaining dumped into Special Attack. This allows you Shiftry to outspeed Pokemon like neutral-natured Tyrantrum,(RC) and everything below it, and while it speed tie Speed ties with Adamant Gallade. ("you" refers to the user of Shiftry) Life Orb is the item of choice as it boosts Shiftry's damage output. Additionally, a Hasty nature can be used to make Shiftry speed tie with Jolly Gallade, Kabutops,(AC) and outspeed anything slower. It could also out-prioritize Adamant Hitmonlee's Mach Punch, but it will make Shiftry lose out on a lot of power.

Usage Tips
========

Shiftry is a Pokemon that can be used throughout the entire match, be it early-, mid-, or late-game. If you see an opportunity to use Defog, take it, otherwise Knock Off is a safe option to go for. Use Shiftry to cripple defensive cores and walls with Knock Off and Leaf Storm early-game, like Rhyperior and Alomomola, and to hit Pokemon hard on the switch with Knock Off, like Amoonguss. If possible, save it Shiftry for late-game cleaning or to act as a revenge killer. It can also come in mid-game if a Defog is needed. With a bit of prediction, it can switch into Pokemon like Slowking, Rhyperior, and Clawitzer, and take them out, but beware of a possible Scald burn in Slowking and Clawitzer's case, and they all could potentially KO Shiftry if it switches into the wrong move.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that like entry hazards off of the field generally like having Shiftry as a partner. This includes Moltres and Delphox, especially because Shiftry is able to get past their counters, Slowking and Jellicent. Additionally, pairing it with Assault Vest Slowking creates a sort of Fire / Water / Grass core which can work pretty nicely, both offensively and defensively, with Slowking being able to easily pivot in and out. Doublade synergizes well with Shiftry since it can come in on Cobalion and Virizion, two of Shiftry's counters, and use them as set up fodder.

Other Options
########

A set consisting of Swords Dance, Knock Off, Seed Bomb, and Sucker Punch can be used, but it is generally outclassed by other Pokemon, such as Zoroark and Virizion, and Defog is one of the main reasons of using Shiftry. Nasty Plot with Giga Drain and Dark Pulse is another option, but it's also outclassed. Since Shiftry lures in Cobalion easily, Focus Blast can be used to take it by surprise, though it doesn't have much space for it. Explosion can be used on any set to go out with a bang and possibly allow Shiftry to take something with you it, but Shiftry doesn't really have much place for it. Finally, Shiftry can utilize a Sunny Day set with Solar Beam for sun teams, but as mentioned before, Defog is one of the few reasons to use Shiftry, and gives it its niche.

Checks & Counters
########
**Cobalion**: Cobalion resists both of Shiftry's STAB moves, and can potentially get a Justified boost by switching into Knock Off. It also has Close Combat to KO Shiftry.

**Virizion**: It can appreciate a Justified boost, and can take anything Shiftry throws at it,(AC) and retaliate with Close Combat.

**Pokemon that resist its STABs**: Pokemon who that can take Knock Off, Leaf Storm or Sucker Punch can easily face Shiftry. This includes Drapion, Skuntank, Hitmontop, Emboar, Druddigon, Physically Defensive Amoonguss, and Tangrowth.
(add line breaks between these C&C sections I think)

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
Good stuff Pidge , will implement. But you made the same mistake as Minus at this line:

"Leaf Storm means that Shiftry will be able to KO Pokemon like Alomomola, Rhyperior, and Gligar, after it has they have taken a Knock Off"

Shiftry already OHKOs the former two with Leaf Storm, the last part is only for Gligar.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########
Shiftry jumped from being a niche NU sweeper to one of the best assets to have on an offensive team in just one generation thanks to the Defog buff. It gives Shiftry a niche no other Pokemon has, being a strong offensive Defogger with no safe switch-ins. With Life Orb, Shiftry's good Attack can cripple defensive cores early game with Knock Off, and its access to Sucker Punch means it can act as a revenge killer late-game. This also means that Braviary can't deter Shiftry from using Defog, as Shiftry can KO it on the switch with Knock Off and Sucker Punch. Not only does Shiftry have good Attack, but it also has good Special Attack and Leaf Storm to threaten Pokemon such as Alomomola and Rhyperior. Sadly, it's average Speed makes it a bit hard to use Defog against offensive teams, and its poor Grass / Dark typing along with its below average defenses means it is KOed easily. The fact that its STAB options are walled by common Pokemon like Cobalion and Virizion doesn't help either. Still, Shiftry can make use of its typing to check threatening Pokemon likesuch as Slowking, Clawitzer, Heliolisk, and Jolteon, and possibly take them out with the appropriate move.
Defog
########
Moves
========
Defog is the reason to use Shiftry, and it's an important move to have on a lot of teams as it can clear hazards from both sides of the field and support Shiftry's team. Knock Off is a strong STAB move that cripples a lot of Pokemon, and it's very hard to switch into. Sucker Punch is good to have on Shiftry since it also gets STAB, and gives it a way of getting past faster Pokemon like Heliolisk and Jolteon. It also means it can revenge kill some Pokemon. Leaf Storm means that Shiftry will be able to KO Pokemon like Alomomola, Rhyperior, and Gligar, though the latter can only be KOed after it has taken a Knock Off, and it. Leaf Storm also allows Shiftry to serve as a potential wallbreaker with its decent offensive stats and, as mentioned, Knock Off, which is the bane of any defensive Pokemon.
Set Details
========
The EVs are to maximize Attack and Speed, with the remaining dumped into Special Attack. This allows Shiftry to outspeed Pokemon like neutral-natured Tyrantrum and everything below it, while it Speed ties with Adamant Gallade. Life Orb is the item of choice as it boosts Shiftry's damage output. Additionally, a Hasty nature can be used to make Shiftry speed tie with Jolly Gallade, Kabutops, and outspeed anything slower. It could also out-prioritize Adamant Hitmonlee's Mach Punch, but it will make Shiftry lose out on a lot of power.
Usage Tips
========
Shiftry is a Pokemon that can be used throughout the entire match, be it early-, mid-, or late-game. If you see an opportunity to use Defog, take it, otherwise Knock Off is a safe option to go for. Use Shiftry to cripple defensive cores and walls like Rhyperior and Alomomola with Knock Off and Leaf Storm early-game, like Rhyperior and Alomomola, and to hit Pokemon such as Amoonguss hard on the switch with Knock Off, like Amoonguss. If possible, save Shiftry for late-game cleaning or to act as a revenge killer. It can also come in mid-game if a Defog is needed. With a bit of prediction, it can switch into Pokemon like Slowking, Rhyperior, and Clawitzer, and take them out, but beware of a possible Scald burn in Slowking and Clawitzer's case, and they all could potentially KO Shiftry if it switches into the wrong move.
Team Options
========
Other Options
########
A set consisting of Swords Dance, Knock Off, Seed Bomb, and Sucker Punch can be used, but it is generally outclassed by other Pokemon, such as Zoroark and Virizion, and Defog is one of the main reasons of using Shiftry. Nasty Plot with Giga Drain and Dark Pulse is another option, but it's also outclassed. Since Shiftry lures in Cobalion easily, Focus Blast can be used to take it by surprise, though it doesn't have much space for it. Explosion can be used on any set to go out with a bang and possibly allow Shiftry to take something with it, but Shiftry doesn't really have much place for it. Finally, Shiftry can utilize a Sunny Day set with Solar Beam for sun teams, but as mentioned before, Defog is one of the few reasons to use Shiftry, and gives it its niche.
Checks & Counters
########
**Virizion**: It can appreciate a Justified boost, can take anything Shiftry throws at it, and retaliate with Close Combat.
**Pokemon that resist its STABs**: Pokemon that can take Knock Off, Leaf Storm or Sucker Punch can easily counter Shiftry. This includes Drapion, Skuntank, Hitmontop, Emboar, Druddigon, Physically Defensive Amoonguss, and Tangrowth.

Overview
########
Shiftry jumped from being a niche NU sweeper to one of the best assets to have on an offensive team in just one generation thanks to the Defog buff. It gives Shiftry a niche no other Pokemon has, being a strong offensive Defogger with no safe switch-ins. With Life Orb, Shiftry's good Attack can cripple defensive cores early game with Knock Off, and its access to Sucker Punch means it can act as a revenge killer late-game. This also means that Braviary can't deter Shiftry from using Defog, as Shiftry can KO it on the switch with Knock Off and Sucker Punch. Not only does Shiftry have good Attack, but it also has good Special Attack and Leaf Storm to threaten Pokemon such as Alomomola and Rhyperior. Sadly, it's average Speed makes it a bit hard to use Defog against offensive teams, and its poor Grass / Dark typing along with its below average defenses means it is KOed easily. The fact that its STAB options are walled by common Pokemon like Cobalion and Virizion doesn't help either. Still, Shiftry can make use of its typing to check threatening Pokemon such as Slowking, Clawitzer, Heliolisk, and Jolteon, and possibly take them out with the appropriate move.
Defog
########
Moves
========
Defog is the reason to use Shiftry, and it's an important move to have on a lot of teams as it can clear hazards from both sides of the field and support Shiftry's team. Knock Off is a strong STAB move that cripples a lot of Pokemon, and it's very hard to switch into. Sucker Punch is good to have on Shiftry since it also gets STAB, and gives it a way of getting past faster Pokemon like Heliolisk and Jolteon. It also means it can revenge kill some Pokemon. Leaf Storm means that Shiftry will be able to KO Pokemon like Alomomola, Rhyperior, and Gligar, though the latter can only be KOed after it has taken a Knock Off. Leaf Storm also allows Shiftry to serve as a potential wallbreaker with its decent offensive stats and Knock Off, which is the bane of any defensive Pokemon.
Set Details
========
Usage Tips
========
Shiftry is a Pokemon that can be used throughout the entire match, be it early-, mid-, or late-game. If you see an opportunity to use Defog, take it, otherwise Knock Off is a safe option to go for. Use Shiftry to cripple defensive cores and walls like Rhyperior and Alomomola with Knock Off and Leaf Storm early-game, and to hit Pokemon such as Amoonguss hard on the switch with Knock Off. If possible, save Shiftry for late-game cleaning or to act as a revenge killer. It can also come in mid-game if a Defog is needed. With a bit of prediction, it can switch into Pokemon like Slowking, Rhyperior, and Clawitzer, and take them out, but beware of a possible Scald burn in Slowking and Clawitzer's case, and they all could potentially KO Shiftry if it switches into the wrong move.
Team Options
========
Other Options
########
A set consisting of Swords Dance, Knock Off, Seed Bomb, and Sucker Punch can be used, but it is generally outclassed by other Pokemon, such as Zoroark and Virizion, and Defog is one of the main reasons of using Shiftry. Nasty Plot with Giga Drain and Dark Pulse is another option, but it's also outclassed. Since Shiftry lures in Cobalion easily, Focus Blast can be used to take it by surprise, though it doesn't have much space for it. Explosion can be used on any set to go out with a bang and possibly allow Shiftry to take something with it, but Shiftry doesn't really have much place for it. Finally, Shiftry can utilize a Sunny Day set with Solar Beam for sun teams, but as mentioned before, Defog is one of the few reasons to use Shiftry, and gives it its niche.
Checks & Counters
########

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)