Mienshao @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator/Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Nature: Naive (+ Spd, - SDef)
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power Ice

4 SpA Life Orb Mienshao Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 265-312 (69.3 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Life Orb Mienshao Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 276-328 (77.9 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

Last edited:
The set is p nice and innovating but does it works in the current meta? Sorry but I doubt it. Knock Off is everywhere and one single Knock Off can damage ur mon really hard (OHKOing it if Bisharp's as you already said though) and priority moves are everywhere too, which can finish off Reuniclus. Also Im p sure Aegislash can OHKO Reuniclus with Shadow Ball + Snadow Sneak but Im too lazy to calc so whatever. Dark-types mons are in general too common with the benefits XY gave them and therefore, in additional that priority moves are everywhere in the current meta, I personally wouldnt use Reuniclus. No that Genesect is super common as well and can shot Reuniclus with Bug Buzz / U-Turn. I dont want to be rude, I mean ur set is nice etc but I doubt it works ok in the current metagame.
It's good against some teams more than others and certainly best late game when damage is racked up and priority users are limited or gone. Against stall and defensive teams it's brutal since aside from sleep status doesn't really hamper Reuniclus thanks to Magic Guard like always, but that's always been been a perk of his. It works well with semi - stall honestly where a core wears down the team and Reuniclus is a unique reverse sweeper. But in the sense of luring, he really does draw in the Knock Offs, and TM is handy on certain FWG, like having Ferrothorn with Gyro Ball, or min speed Crawdaunt who outspeeds Talonflame in TR with Aqua Jet. I wouldn't call it reliable, but with a better team it's a unique potential win condition

Vryheid

fudge jelly
This is some nice information about what kind of lures are out there, but you've given absolutely no information on how to use them properly. I'd think this is kind of essential if you plan on using them on a competitive team. Are we just supposed to throw the lure in the first slot, predict the switch to the Pokemon we want to hit and hope for the best? Assume the opponent is more cautious and try to bait out a specific Pokemon by repeatedly faking another set before going for the kill? And how are we suppose to judge how a player is going to react to a lure just by looking at their team? These are just a few of the many fundamental questions that could easily take up several paragraphs a piece on any sort of complete study on the subject.

These lists are useful knowledge and all, but if slapping on a lure to each and every team was all it took then everyone would be doing it (and we wouldn't need a guide in the first place).

I'm back yet again with another lure set! Here it is:

Talonflame @ Salac Berry / Liechi Berry / Shuca Berry
Trait: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Natural Gift
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird / Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz / U-turn / Roost

Now this set right here just screams, "Yo, Ttar come here baby- yes right now, just like that", "Heatran, come to momma", "Rotom-W, I wanna tell you something.." .... Ok, to explain the nonsense I just typed, this set is the ultimate lure for Talonflame's- not checks, not credit cards (heh) -but for its COUNTERS. Yes, its counters. The idea behind this set is to give Talonflame a berry, okay? After that you're gonna go into a battle, lure in the big boys, and take them out like nothing happened. Natural Gift consumes the berry and each berry gives Natural Gift a different type and base power.

Now if you want to take out Rotom-W, give Talonflame a Liechi Berry. When consumed, Liechi Berry makes Natural Gift a 100 BP Grass type move, folks. That is huge (that's what s- ...nvm). Moving along, for taking out Heatran you can give it Shuca berry which makes Natural Gift an 80 BP ground type move. Lastly, Salac berry makes Natural Gift a 100 BP Fighting type move through Natural gift which should maim TTar, right? Let us see:

Calcs:

+2 252+ Atk Salac Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 644-760 (159.4 - 188.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO ( o.O is this real life?)

+2 252+ Atk Shuca Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (80 BP Ground) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 532-628 (137.8 - 162.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Liechi Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 240-284 (78.9 - 93.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Impressive, right?

The idea is to bring Talon on on something it scares out, as you would normally do, SD on the switch, and destroy the opponents record of not ever getting swept by Talonflame. Note that Standard TTar has a high chance of being OHKO'd even without the +2 boost. As for Rhyperior, you would need SR and three layers of spikes to OHKO, lmao. But hey, Rhyperior is not used that much. Plus you can still dent him before going down, see:

+2 252+ Atk Liechi Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 315-372 (72.5 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Depending on what your team has trouble with the most, or with what is the most common, you can give Talonflame the appropriate berry. As for the final move-slot, you can run Roost or U-turn and play around a bit by scouting and weakening and such before going for game, though I don't recommend that. This set is mainly to lure out Rotom W because that thing is everywhere. So yeah. Oh and if you run Liechi and Rotom-W is a no show, but Ttar is, then:

+2 252+ Atk Liechi Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 322-380 (79.7 - 94%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Yep, so that's pretty much it. You can also try out other berries for the giggity's. Hope this set is to your liking, pals. :]

Edit: Slashed Acrobatics in moves.

Last edited:
One note is that an Apicot berry is a 100 BP Ground attack, but since Shuca OHKO's Heatran anyway, it doesn't matter. Otherwise, that's a pretty fun set!

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
CTC told me this set was AIDs, but I'm posting it anyway 'cuz real

Aegislash (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 120 SAtk / 240 HP / 148 Spd
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Flash Cannon
- Metal Sound
- King's Shield / Flash Cannon

This is essentially a lure Aeg, with a Metal Sound on the switch allowing it to break through common checks like SpDef Heatran n' Zap, and bulky 'Mons in general like Fat Venusaur. With Metal Sound, Aeg is also able to negate bulky boosters like CM Clefable and Crocune, and smack them around with Shadow Balls. The speed investment allows Aeg to outspeed speed creeping SpDef Heatran, allowing it to also beat 'Mons like other Aeg, Azumarill, and Mega Venu, and the HP investment gives it a Lefties number. The rest is thrown into Sp. Attack for damage output. Flash Cannon adds coverage and lets Aeg muscle through Mandibuzz, and also faries a little more easily.

120+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Hidden Power Ground vs. -2 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 408-480 (105.6 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

120+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. -2 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zapdos: 226-267 (58.8 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

120+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. -2 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 410-486 (126.5 - 150%) -- guaranteed OHKO

120+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. -2 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Venusaur: 186-220 (51 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

120+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. -2 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 352-415 (87.1 - 102.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

120+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. -2 252 HP / 4 SpD Mandibuzz: 306-361 (72.1 - 85.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Some teammates could be Talonflame and Flare Blitz | Dragon Claw Char-X, as they both appreciate the removal of Heatran for obvious reasons. Hazard support is also appreciated, as this Aeg forces many switches. It also lets Aeg net some KOs - SR allows Aeg to OHKO -2 Mandibuzz with Flash Cannon and 252/4 Azu with Flash Cannon or Shadow Ball. 3 layers of Spikes and SR allow Aeg to OHKO Bisharp on the switch with HP Ground.

I love Metal Sound Aegislash, nobody accounts for it at all. I do find it usually needs King's Shield to be as effective as possible, it's heavily based around mindgames. MS to force a switch, MS the switchin and shadow ball away, you can soften up a lot of targets that way, clearing the way for a sweep.

I rather like to run Hone Claws Hawlucha with Power Herb Sky Attack, High Jump Kick and Stone Edge. If you predict right, you can SE a talonflame in the switchin

Well with genesect getting the ban soon I figure I might as well post up how ive been dealing with him these last painful few weeks lol. Im not sure if this would techincally be considered a "lure" although I suppose it could be.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

So this set is suppose to lead when the opponent has a genesect, which in most cases is scarfed and will lead to scout out what im doing. And while I myself have used genesect I know that I outspeed and mame a greninja with u-turn so there is never a reason not to u-turn is this situation. But then they end up getting OHKOd by hp fire and it is pretty great. The only way this would be considered a lure though is if you say like it "lures" genesect into a false sense of security.

Anyway i wish I saved replays of this guy raping lead genesect only to have them forfeit immediately. It has happened many times. So yeah idk how useful tihs will be now especially since scarf genesect isnt that popular anymore either but I thought id share it here. It is also on my RMT if you wan to check it out http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...reninja-this-team-peaked-like-top-50.3499730/

Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Metal Sound

This is essentially a lure Aeg, with a Metal Sound on the switch allowing it to break through common checks like SpDef Heatran n' Zap, and bulky 'Mons in general like Fat Venusaur. With Metal Sound, Aeg is also able to negate bulky boosters like CM Clefable and Crocune, and smack them around with Shadow Balls. The speed investment allows Aeg to outspeed speed creeping SpDef Heatran, allowing it to also beat 'Mons like other Aeg, Azumarill, and Mega Venu, and the HP investment gives it a Lefties number. The rest is thrown into Sp. Attack for damage output. Flash Cannon adds coverage and lets Aeg muscle through Mandibuzz, and also faries a little more easily.

120+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Hidden Power Ground vs. -2 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 408-480 (105.6 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

120+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. -2 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zapdos: 226-267 (58.8 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

120+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. -2 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 410-486 (126.5 - 150%) -- guaranteed OHKO

120+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. -2 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Venusaur: 186-220 (51 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

120+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. -2 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 352-415 (87.1 - 102.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

120+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. -2 252 HP / 4 SpD Mandibuzz: 306-361 (72.1 - 85.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Some teammates could be Talonflame and Flare Blitz | Dragon Claw Char-X, as they both appreciate the removal of Heatran for obvious reasons. Hazard support is also appreciated, as this Aeg forces many switches. It also lets Aeg net some KOs - SR allows Aeg to OHKO -2 Mandibuzz with Flash Cannon and 252/4 Azu with Flash Cannon or Shadow Ball. 3 layers of Spikes and SR allow Aeg to OHKO Bisharp on the switch with HP Ground.
Cool set! P innovating too. It should work okay with the support of some entry hazards I guess.

I guess you are right about the Life Orb part. Thanks!
But the EV spread is the best for lure Terrakion (trust me, I calced it extensively)
I meant, if you go with Life Orb, you don't need all those EVs in SAtk to have a clean 2HKO on Gliscor and Landorus-T with HP Ice so you can put those EVs in Atk in order to make more damages with the other attacks. They won't be too much, but they will be always useful in some situation.

Edit: sorry for double posting, didnt notice it.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Metal Sound

Nice idea, but i don't get why you should compromise your power so much. Why do you need to outspeed Heatran, Mandibuzz, and Mega Venusaur anyway? They don't even come close to OHKOing, while the extra power is really sweet. Also, if you don't OHKO all those Pokemon, you get KOed or crippled by Lava Plume, Foul Play, and EQ in Sword forme respectively.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nice idea, but i don't get why you should compromise your power so much. Why do you need to outspeed Heatran, Mandibuzz, and Mega Venusaur anyway? They don't even come close to OHKOing, while the extra power is really sweet. Also, if you don't OHKO all those Pokemon, you get KOed or crippled by Lava Plume, Foul Play, and EQ in Sword forme respectively.
I see your point about Venu and Mandibuzz, but the application of the extra speed is mainly to OHKO Heatran without risking any unnecessary damage from a Lava Plume, Wisp, etc. Also, it's nice to get a hit off on a weakened Mega Venu before it uses Synthesis, and you can stay in D-forme by using Metal Sound first.

So I was thinking of making a rain team, and I wanted something that could handle Mega Charizard Y without forcing me to dedicate an entire mon to use against him (I'm not using a Politoed as they aren't very good with a Damp Rock and 5 turns of rain is just too short for me if I opted for specs or leftovers). Here's the Keldeo lure I came up with:

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Surf
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Assuming you've already got Keldeo in play, Mega Charizard Y would think "okay, job's a good un', I'll SolarBeam for the OHKO":

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 332-392 (102.4 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

However, you out-speeding let's you use HP Rock before that can happen for your own OHKO:

252 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Hidden Power Rock vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 302-359 (101.3 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Obviously in the last gen you needed to run something to get past Jellicent, but with the lack of permanent weather they're not common these days so you don't need the HP Ghost or Electric coverage. It goes without saying that - with the sole exception of Ninetales who also isn't exceedingly common - Keldeo easily takes care of other auto-weather inducers such as Tyranitar (Secret Sword obviously hitting defense so you don't have to worry about the AV variants) as well as Hippowdon (Surf), getting rid of those two major headaches to a rain team with ease.

The only thing you need to be aware of is that HP Rock is a 30 speed IV Hidden Power, so you won't ever be speed tying with Jolly Terrakion if you ever felt reckless enough to take your chances.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone has brought this set up yet, but here it is.

Landorus-I @ Life Orb
252spe/252spatk/4atk
-Gravity
-Earth Power
-Superpower
-Psychic

Basically it's a lure for Rotom-Wash and bulky Latias. You gravity on the predicted switch and then pop them with an Earth Power. I run Superpower over Focus Blast on most of my Landos because it destroys Blissey and is a reliable way to OHKO Tyranitar. Psychic is just there for coverage against Mega-Venusaur and the like. Thoughts?

EDIT: Before I forget, here are some calcs.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 312-369 (102.6 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 183-216 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- 79.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 183-216 (60.7 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone has brought this set up yet, but here it is.

Landorus-I @ Life Orb
252spe/252spatk/4atk
-Gravity
-Earth Power
-Superpower
-Psychic
and
Basically it's a lure for Rotom-Wash and bulky Latias. You gravity on the predicted switch and then pop them with an Earth Power. I run Superpower over Focus Blast on most of my Landos because it destroys Blissey and is a reliable way to OHKO Tyranitar. Psychic is just there for coverage against Mega-Venusaur and the like. Thoughts?

EDIT: Before I forget, here are some calcs.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 312-369 (102.6 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 183-216 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- 79.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 183-216 (60.7 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I've been using Gravity Landorus for a while now, and it works kinda well. The great thing about it is that Gravity is hard to stall out by your opponent, since you'll only be spamming Earth Power, which one- or two hit KO's most of the metagame. Two things: How does this beat Latias? It'll outspeed you most of the time and either CM+Roost to heal, or just KO you with LO Draco Meteor. For me, the main targets are Rotom-W, Skarmory, Zapdos, Charizard Y, Air Balloon Heatran, etc. Secondly, I prefer running Focus Blast, especially since its accuracy is fixed under Gravity:
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 390-463 (96.5 - 114.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock: you'll only 'lose' to AV Ttar, which'll still take a minimum of 65%.
I have to agree though that Superpower deals with Blissey where Focus Blast can't.

One last thing: Two things that this Landorus really appreciates if you're building a team around this Landorus are Sticky Web and/or Pursuit support (obviously not mandatory, but it'll help a lot). Pursuit (preferably from Ttar) traps Talonflames, Thundurus lacking Focus Blast, Mega Manectric, and Celebi, amongst others. On the other hand, Sticky Web works wonders in tandem with Gravity, allowing you to outspeed even things that would normally be immune to SW, such as the Latis, Thundurus, and Mega Pinsir (providing they don't switch in on the turn you use Gravity). Both are great though.

This one is kinda cruel, but yea:

Klefki @ Choice Scarf | Prankster
Bold | 252Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpD
-Switcheroo
-Thunder Wave
-Foul Play
-Spikes

Talking in the klefki thread earlier reminded me how good a lure this set actually is; most competent players know that the best counter to klefki is not fast, offensive pokemon, but defensive mons who can use healing and low offenses to protect themselves from swagkey, who is incredibly annoying once you let it get started. And similarly, most of the key's main counters absolutely despise being switcheroo'd a choice scarf. What's great is you can continue to outspeed them even after the switcheroo due to prankster, and can really rub the salt in the wound by reducing their speed by following up with thunder wave, negating the choice scarf boost.
Chansey loses its eviolite, Blissey is similarly crippled, and gliscor gets completely wrecked; it loses its toxic orb, which can then be switcherood onto another enemy team member after gliscor dies (and klefki is not poisoned by it due to steel typing). This set still doesnt destroy stuff like thundurus, who is probably the best all-round klefki answer, but even he is slightly limited by choice scarf, seeings as one of thundurus' main strengths in priority taunt/ thunder wave and the threat of nasty plot- he cant do any of these things with a choice scarf. He still will hit hard, but the pokemon becomes less dangerous with its options cut in half.
Anyway, all defensive pokemon aiming to absorb thunder waves/ swaggers will just despise the choice scarf, and all the top ground types in ou at the moment will also hate it- Excadrill hoping to come in on klefki will have his ability to spin severely hampered, and that lets klefki set up spikes quite well against him. Gliscor a mentioned previously will be ruined by losing toxic orb before it activates and his team will suffer from it too, hippowdon loses the ability to recover. Landorus-T loses leftovers which klefki will like having, making it a lot easier to wear down, and preventing it from using an unexpected swords dance rock polish sets. Basically all of these pokemon really like their items, and using non attacking moves, and switcheroo klefki can really screw people over- even if they for some reason switch their sweeper into you (or something which likes choice scarf) you can immediately follow up with a thunder wave. Its a very low risk set, with quite high reliability.

A nice thing about this set is the huge overuse of swagkey- people will not expect switcheroo at all- that means they wont try and counter you by switching in a mega evo- no-one will risk getting their charizard paralyzed by klefki because it just turns it into deadweight.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Choice Scarf also allows Klefki to cripple Pokemon such as Thundurus, SD Diggersby, Sand Rush Excadrill, Garchomp, and Landorus, which it coulnd't with Thunder Wave. Locking any of those threats to one move is nice for emergency situations where they are riping apart your team.

If you're running SR-weak mons and having trouble with Deosharp (I mean who hasn't, you could literally slap on three sweepers to a Deosharp core with no forethought whatsoever and autopilot your way up to 1800 and beyond, but I digress), you can use this Defiant lure to quite decent success.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spe
Timid nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Defog

Basic idea: the Lati twins attract Bisharp like nothing other, because those things are dying to get the free +2 from a type-weak defogger. HP Fighting just happens to one-shot Bisharp on the switch-in. The great thing about this move is that unlike Earthquake, it will outright OHKO Bisharp with no other prior damage, whereas EQ does about ~70% on average. With Bisharp gone, you have much more opportunity to Defog as long as the rest of your team is well-equipped to handle HO in general. It is also a guaranteed 2HKO on max HP Tyranitar. You do have to keep in mind, HP Fighting has a much narrower target-range than Earthquake, and Aegislash is very oft on this kind of team (but then again, they carry balloons so you probably can't do much with EQ either) so you do have to tread carefully. It might well be worth it though, seeing how common Deosharp is right now.

Breloom (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

It's very simple. Set up swords dance as Talonflame switches in. Use Rock Tomb as Talonflame uses Brave Bird, or the more funnier possibility, predicts a switch and sets up Swords Dance. And yes, also works well against Charizard and Volcarona. But wait, there's more. At +2 STAB Technician Mach Punch can put a hole in anything that comes up next and is quicker. As for anything that's slower, STAB Technician Bullet Seed does an even more devastating damage.

Sticky Web could help to KO another mon or two. Moxie Salamence is a good partner. As Breloom can take out ALL of Talonflame's counters after setting up (Which also includes another Talonflame), this also helps your own Talonflame sweep late game without much trouble.

Last edited:
I'm back yet again with another lure set! Here it is:

Talonflame @ Salac Berry / Liechi Berry / Shuca Berry
Trait: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Natural Gift
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird / Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz / U-turn / Roost

Now this set right here just screams, "Yo, Ttar come here baby- yes right now, just like that", "Heatran, come to momma", "Rotom-W, I wanna tell you something.." .... Ok, to explain the nonsense I just typed, this set is the ultimate lure for Talonflame's- not checks, not credit cards (heh) -but for its COUNTERS. Yes, its counters. The idea behind this set is to give Talonflame a berry, okay? After that you're gonna go into a battle, lure in the big boys, and take them out like nothing happened. Natural Gift consumes the berry and each berry gives Natural Gift a different type and base power.

Now if you want to take out Rotom-W, give Talonflame a Liechi Berry. When consumed, Liechi Berry makes Natural Gift a 100 BP Grass type move, folks. That is huge (that's what s- ...nvm). Moving along, for taking out Heatran you can give it Shuca berry which makes Natural Gift an 80 BP ground type move. Lastly, Salac berry makes Natural Gift a 100 BP Fighting type move through Natural gift which should maim TTar, right? Let us see:

Calcs:

+2 252+ Atk Salac Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 644-760 (159.4 - 188.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO ( o.O is this real life?)

+2 252+ Atk Shuca Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (80 BP Ground) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 532-628 (137.8 - 162.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Liechi Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 240-284 (78.9 - 93.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Impressive, right?

The idea is to bring Talon on on something it scares out, as you would normally do, SD on the switch, and destroy the opponents record of not ever getting swept by Talonflame. Note that Standard TTar has a high chance of being OHKO'd even without the +2 boost. As for Rhyperior, you would need SR and three layers of spikes to OHKO, lmao. But hey, Rhyperior is not used that much. Plus you can still dent him before going down, see:

+2 252+ Atk Liechi Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 315-372 (72.5 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Depending on what your team has trouble with the most, or with what is the most common, you can give Talonflame the appropriate berry. As for the final move-slot, you can run Roost or U-turn and play around a bit by scouting and weakening and such before going for game, though I don't recommend that. This set is mainly to lure out Rotom W because that thing is everywhere. So yeah. Oh and if you run Liechi and Rotom-W is a no show, but Ttar is, then:

+2 252+ Atk Liechi Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 322-380 (79.7 - 94%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Yep, so that's pretty much it. You can also try out other berries for the giggity's. Hope this set is to your liking, pals. :]

Edit: Slashed Acrobatics in moves.
I'm in love with the Liechi Berry variant. What's great about it is that you can still potentially grab an attack boost from the berry after taking a hit/Brave Bird recoil in matches without Rotom-W, so it's not an entirely wasted item in those situations. And there's nothing better than Rotom-W cockily coming into battle as you set up, only to be OHKO'd by +2 Natural Gift. Hehe.

Reviving this thread because it's the best thread.

My present favorite lure is HP Ice on LO Terrakion (posted on page 3); it lures in opposing Landos and Gliscors without fail and nets a surprise 2HKO even with 0 SpAtk.

I can't really top that one, but for the sake of the thread I'm posting this:

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off
- Synthesis

It's only a lure in that Chansey wants to come in and wall you for days, only to find itself 50% less relevant for the rest of the match. Knock Off is an incredible utility move on Venusaur, whose checks and counters often rely on lefties recovery or LO damage to handle the plant 1v1. Landorus-I and Greninja cannot 2HKO with Psychic/Extrasensory without a Life Orb. Lati@s get bopped hard on the switch and you get to scout their Talonflame etc.

I know Bold or mixed defenses are more popular, and you can tailor the EV spread to what your team needs. Just be sure that your teammates can handle M-Pinsir/birdspam.

- x -

Another really cool lure I've seen but haven't used is Explosion on Chlorophyll SD Shiftry or Shell Smash Cloyster. The usual switches - physical walls or offensive 'mons that resist STAB - get wrecked by Explosion:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 450-530 (106.1 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Cloyster Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 525-618 (162.5 - 191.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Shiftry's got Sucker Punch to scare most ghosts, but make sure you don't waste your Cloyster's +2 Explosion on an Aegislash or something dumb.

Last edited:
Reviving this thread because it's the best thread.

My present favorite lure is HP Ice on LO Terrakion (posted on page 3); it lures in opposing Landos and Gliscors without fail and nets a surprise 2HKO even with 0 SpAtk.

I can't really top that one, but for the sake of the thread I'm posting this:

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off
- Synthesis

It's only a lure in that Chansey wants to come in and wall you for days, only to find itself 50% less relevant for the rest of the match. Knock Off is an incredible utility move on Venusaur, whose checks and counters often rely on lefties recovery or LO damage to handle the plant 1v1. Landorus-I and Greninja cannot 2HKO with Psychic/Extrasensory without a Life Orb. Lati@s get bopped hard on the switch and you get to scout their Talonflame etc.

I know Bold or mixed defenses are more popular, and you can tailor the EV spread to what your team needs. Just be sure that your teammates can handle M-Pinsir/birdspam.

- x -

Another really cool lure I've seen but haven't used is Explosion on Chlorophyll SD Shiftry or Shell Smash Cloyster. The usual switches - physical walls or offensive 'mons that resist STAB - get wrecked by Explosion:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 450-530 (106.1 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Cloyster Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 525-618 (162.5 - 191.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Shiftry's got Sucker Punch to scare most ghosts, but make sure you don't waste your Cloyster's +2 Explosion on an Aegislash or something dumb.
While Knock Off on Venusaur is fine I think your moves or EVs are counterintuitive. Defensive Venusaur wants Leech Seed and possibly Sleep Powder. You're running a lot of offensive moves where SpA would benefit more. I'd recommend Leech Seed over Giga Drain on that set personally since it forces switches and allows you to Knock Off more items. Sludge Bomb is fine for the Poison chance as is.

While Knock Off on Venusaur is fine I think your moves or EVs are counterintuitive. Defensive Venusaur wants Leech Seed and possibly Sleep Powder. You're running a lot of offensive moves where SpA would benefit more. I'd recommend Leech Seed over Giga Drain on that set personally since it forces switches and allows you to Knock Off more items. Sludge Bomb is fine for the Poison chance as is.
I disagree. Given how offensive the current state of the meta is, I find that Leech Seed becomes a waste of a moveslot in too many match-ups. Giga Drain is invaluable against a lot of top-tier threats, namely Azumarill (for the sake of the recovery vs. Sludge Bomb), Conkeldurr (w/o activating Guts), and the obvious ones in Gyarados/Keldeo/Kabutops/Politoed, but mainly the longevity it provides on bulky Venusaur means it's really not going down without a dedicated assault. The damage output is impressive, even uninvested.

Sleep Powder is good, but it'd have to go in over Knock Off in my opinion, and the latter is both more reliable and more useful in the long run.

EDIT: That said, there's a reason why offensive M-Venusaur has become the new standard, and is likely the smarter option. I just like how effectively (specially) defensive Venusaur can wall entire team archetypes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)