CaP 18 Pre-Evo - Part 3 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission
here is me sneaking in at last minute again

Changes from original: more wing-like spikes on the sides, mild additional shading, small tweaks on shape and some texture/glow effects.
I also have a traditional Volkrakid in the same pose, as supporting art, though I don't have my scanner with me.

EDIT: Also changed/cleaned up the false face to resemble the traditional one. Typing up comments now that this is officially posted!
Quanyails: Nice to see you again too! I didn't like Gen V much ;w;
Your dumbo octopus is absolutely adorable and very unique. I have a soft spot for people with more creativity than me. Very solid design and one of my favourites.
V4LOVER: You have one of the most solid art styles; it matches Golurk's style practically spot on. It looks very similar to Volkraken but I think that is your intention. Several Pokemon do look just like their prevos so I would say it is one of the most believable designs; the main issue is whether it will stand out in the polls since people like differences. D: But I don't know what I would change with it.
Integer Mova: Your design is adorable! I like the style it is drawn in. :D That said, I think compared to Volkraken it is too simple. I'm not quite sure how I would change it either, though.
frenzyplant: Agreed that your design is very similar to Volkraken's, but I do think it has a young appearance that you have captured well. I think my only issue with it is that it looks more like a middle stage Pokemon, but as I whole I like this one a lot.
Blue Frog: Yours is adorable as well! I like your false face and beady eyes. :D I think would like to see the barbels incorporated somehow to add extra shape.
Ignis Unis: I like the horn on the top of the head with its rings! I think your design needs more fluidity - for example, if the orange part directly linked with the top of the eyes. Usually Pokemon have a sense of connectedness with their design elements.
The Steam Punk: I like the way you have incorporated the blue, and the larger batlike "wings". I'm tempted to say the eyes look too relaxed, but that may be on purpose.
HealNDeal: I love your design! I was wanting to make a stronger colour change with my prevo but couldn't think of a good colour scheme and this one looks great. I'd agree that the Fire type is hard to show with a Water colouring, though I think the flame-chamber-like look of the false face improves it. I would suggest for the flames- especially the ones on its head- to be brighter, perhaps with a sharp yellow center, as that will help the fiery appearance.
Absolclaw: I like the concept of a bubble/egg surrounding the head! Kind of like an underwater astronaut. I think I would like to see if you could make the top of the head taper backward somewhat since at the moment it looks a bit too flat on top.
paintseagull: I totally love this one. It is definitely one of my favourites. I'm amazed how you managed to incorporate fluff into an octopus and make it make complete sense!
CrazyToons: I'm a little confused about this one. There aren't any orange elements at all and you haven't put in a false face, which I see as one of the key elements of this line. It also has an awful lot of tentacles- I think you could either simplify it to a handful, or make the base a circle and then add spikes, sort of like a circular saw. I also think the smallness goes a little far. I could see it as a first-stager of three, but not necessarily a first-stager of two. (I would recommend also taking it into MS Paint and select-cropping it, since you have a large blank border.)
noobiess: This is one of my favourites too. I love the bat elements; the face is practically its own Pokemon and I love the way you've incorporated its actual eyes. At the same time it is surprisingly simple (and I mean that in a positive way). It's hard to find simple designs that still stand out- many real Pokemon have tons of spikes and bells and whistles- and you did an excellent job. I feel like it could use a single blue spot on each tentacle (thinking near the end of them), but I'm not sure if that would improve on it or not.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
noobies, I really like your design! However, I noticed the smallest dimension on your submission is 316 pixels; I think the smallest a side is allowed to be is 320 pixels. It should be a really small/easy fix, but I don't want your design to be disqualified because of that.

noobies, I really like your design! However, I noticed the smallest dimension on your submission is 316 pixels; I think the smallest a side is allowed to be is 320 pixels. It should be a really small/easy fix, but I don't want your design to be disqualified because of that.
Glad you like it :) I also noted it after I posted and changed it already ^^

my gosh heal thats AMAZING, its so beautiful i think im going to cry
bravo
%hendrix96 claps uncontrollably with a tear in eye

ok, here is my second draft of my volkraken pre-evolution: http://imgur.com/LvuthFU

Changes:
  • paint comes from 2 arm-like tentacles instead of a paintbrush
  • made the blue rings on the mantle shaped like a headband instead of being scattered
  • changed the design of the eyes to make it look more like its evolution.
  • made the rings larger
  • changed the tentacles to look more like a pre-evolution.
I am very sorry about the image having no color, I didn't buy all of the materials yet. I think the main problem with my design at the moment are the tentacles. I feel like they are too small and disproportionate to the mantle. I also think the arms are in a strange position. If any of you can, I would like some opinions or advice on how to fix these issues.

Ok. Thanks for the comments, CBMeadow. I went into MS Paint and edited my submission for the pre-evolution design. I also made the fangs longer.

Last edited:

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Final Submission time. I didn't change much, just added some fangs to serve as precursors to the three circles of lights on the "mouth" of the orange face and add to the vampiric theme. I know my design looks very similar to Volkraken and pretty much all the critique I've received is about that, but I couldn't figure out a way to make it look different without redoing a whole lot of it, and to be honest I'm not very much in the mood for that :v chalk it up to me being lazy, then.

anyway, good luck to everyone else who's entered! I've seen a lot of great art, and I'd be happy seeing pretty much anything in this thread as the design for Volkrakid.

supporting art:
original sketch (blurry as hell)
badly executed dramatic view of glowy things (on edgy ocean background to boot)
unshaded ver. and lineart (basically the same as main design)

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

My changes since last time are excessively minor, but I've added an eye-shine and a purple ring under one of the left arms. Oh, and I made my yellows show up better in the flames. Not much else to say. I'm the only one to divert from the original Volkraken color scheme so drastically, but I still think/hope the false face and other design elements show similarities to Volkraken, among my many differences.

I'm liking a lot of the designs so far, and I'm still hoping for submissions from Kadew and Mos!

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I have had a request from an artist and I am going to extend the deadline to approximately 10pm Saturday evening my time (Approximately 60ish hours from now).

I will be continuing with other steps. This delay may mean that Sprites ends up hanging off the end of this process. Good luck.

Final Submission

A cute baby squid, wearing an egg/bubble as a helmet to try and be intimidating, and Volkraken's eye barbels extended into a domino mask.

I'll be fairly busy for the next week or so this is it unless there is a glaring error that would get me disqualified ._.

Final Submission
http://imgur.com/X9QVIDB

Boy was this difficult to make! Anyway, I just want to say good luck to all of the people who submitted art.

Procedure:I made an outline on paper, scanned it, and colored and black outlined on ms paint.

Brief description: The rings on its mantle and tentacles unnerve predators.

Inspiration:blue ringed octopus, Volkraken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)