steam summer sale

To the Moon is currently up for community choice voting for the next 7 hours. If it wins the vote, it'll be slashed from $2.99 to $1.50 for the eight hours following. Other games included in To The Moon's side of the vote are The Cat Lady, Papo & Yo, and 9.03m, so if you're interested in purchasing any of those at a better discount, throw in a vote!

Also a reminder that this sale is set to end on June 30th and that there are likely to be last-day specials (incl. possibly bringing back specials from earlier in the sale) so keep tuned, eyes peeled, etc.

Please please please please please vote for and buy To the Moon if story games/beautiful pixel art/feelings are your thing. I already posted about it in the thread because I thought the discount was good, but $1.50 for it is a steal. I absolutely adore this game and will forever recommend it to people. It's short but very well-paced (from a storytelling perspective), the dialogue is great, the PoV characters are really amusing IMO, and the story/premise is heartwrenching and suspenseful. It looks at regret and loss more poignantly than most stories I've ever read and certainly pretty much every video game I've played. The only reason I would ever tell somebody not to buy it is if they hate reading and don't buy games with text in them, because, well, the gameplay is so negligible it barely counts. I'd really love to give more details to explain why it's so amazing, but, you know, spoilers.

(The Cat Lady looks really interesting as well, but I don't own it. So vote for that as well. thx)

edit:

Unless you plan on using its d-pad for 2D games the 360 Wired controller is rather good if you can find it still, most games support it. I do believe there is some wireless adapter too if you have one already.
Since I'm used to using it, I bought a new one offline recently, and I live in the sticks. Pretty sure it shouldn't be too hard to track one down, especially on the internet.

Last edited:
Comment: Xbox One controller is supposedly better than the wired 360 controller if you have smaller hands.

eh, you might have to change the config ingame for most games but having played on PC since 2005 i don't really notice it

I bought strike vector during the community choice sale, but I have yet to receive the game.
I have already opened a ticket, is there anything else I can do?
EDIT - This has been resolved, I deleted everything but Steam.exe, userdata, and steamapps and the game appeared.

Last edited:
As the summer sale winds down with an encore sale, I think it's time for everyone to post their hauls! Regret buys? Steals? Played anything yet? Did you participate in the STEAM SCAMMER ADVENTURE 2014 or just wisely sell all your cards like me??? Let's have it!!

I did really well, although I spent a fair bit of money considering I didn't participate in the 2013 sales at all. It was all left over from buying my textbooks and school stuff though and kinda stuck as digital money, so I technically never exceeded my limit. The only things I wanted that didn't go on daily/flash/community choice sale was Antichamber, which I still got for $6, and Hate Plus, which I bought early in the sale so I could complete the routes without skipping, and I got a couple of things that sparked my interest for cheap. Everything else I got on daily/flash/CC/as a gift (<3) or for 49 cents. This sale also introduced me to a lot of really nice games I'd like to pick up in the winter sale for less, so I think I exercised a reasonable amount of restraint.

• Alan Wake (+ the sequel because cheap)
  • Antichamber
  • Dishonored
  • Don't Starve + DLC (gift) (THIS IS SO FUN AND HARD WTF, also the art style is amazing)
  • Civilization V (complete), which was one of two main things I was hanging out for along with Antichamber
  • Gone Home
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
  • Hate Plus
  • Long Live the Queen (you're telling me I can be an extremely well-dressed magical girl princess? HELL YEAH! this game has a couple of flaws, but is really fun and cute, and I got it super cheap)
  • Papers, Please (I have 15 hours on this game already and 12/13 of the achievements, just collecting all the endings now)
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • System Shock 2 (gift)
  • The Swapper
  • Velvet Assassin (I heard this game was mediocre but I always wanted to play it and I got it for 49 cents. I can sell a couple of summer cards and get 49 cents, ez)

I've also been playing through previous sales' hauls (Bastion, Dear Esther, Fallout 3 to start with), so it was a 'productive' end of holidays for me.

While I think this sale was kind of repetitive, as someone who's had her account for four years, I did use this sale as an opportunity to 'catch up'. There was a lot of stuff that had gone on sale recently or been in Humble Bundles or whatever so I can understand why a lot of people felt disappointed, but I almost never buy games except for these sales or for my birthday these days, so I was glad to have the opportunity to get them again. I think the summer adventure was fairly ridiculous compared to the promotions we used to get (although those typically got exploited) and am glad I chose not to participate in it, as I sold a heap of cards.

I think one huge problem with this sale was that some of the discounts were worse than they'd been in previous sales... come on. The community choice votes were also predictably stacked and terrible, most of which worked out except the story games never got another chance and neither did Ikaruga, which I heard a lot of people wanted. I liked the whole 'four vs. four' instead of one vs. one thing, but in future I'd probably skip the genre gimmick. And not have 3 AAAs vs. 3 indies.

It seems new Steam users had the opportunity to pick up a lot of library staples and some really interesting games, so while I don't think this sale was as memorable as 2011 or even 2012 sales, I hope you all picked up some nice stuff.

Last edited:
Just splashed on the XCom pack, skipped on the underwhelming discounts on Bioshock Infinite DLC, picked up FTL: Faster than Light, and Dark Souls.

If nothing else I think there's some nice variance in that mix, but a smallish haul, still have tons to play though. Like you, jumpluff, I didn't like the genre gimmicks in the community choice voting, though they did get some nice indie games to the front page for once so I guess that's a plus in my books.

Last edited:

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Was able to get my hands on a new desktop computer which I'll be able to use within the next week so have been adding games to my collection in anticipation. I managed to do it without damaging my bank account too badly... (Grocery shopping at aldi for the next few weeks as well) Very happy.

Ended up with:
  • Audiosurf
  • Awesomenauts (Lot of coaxing from my brother for about a year and $2.00 sealed the deal)
  • Dust: An Elysian Tail
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Papers Please
  • Planetary Annihilation (Always been a toss up in my mind between this and Civilisation)
  • Super Amazing Wagon Adventure (lol)
  • Surgeon Simulator
  • Strike Vector

Sad I missed the sale for Age Of Empres HD, and after spending way too much time thinking about getting Borderlands 2 I held off.

Was able to get my hands on a new desktop computer which I'll be able to use within the next week so have been adding games to my collection in anticipation. I managed to do it without damaging my bank account too badly... (Grocery shopping at aldi for the next few weeks as well) Very happy.

Ended up with:
  • Audiosurf
  • Awesomenauts (Lot of coaxing from my brother for about a year and $2.00 sealed the deal)
  • Dust: An Elysian Tail
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Papers Please
  • Planetary Annihilation (Always been a toss up in my mind between this and Civilisation)
  • Super Amazing Wagon Adventure (lol)
  • Surgeon Simulator
  • Strike Vector

Sad I missed the sale for Age Of Empres HD, and after spending way too much time thinking about getting Borderlands 2 I held off.
Did you get Audiosurf 1 or 2? I really enjoy 1, but I'd love to hear your opinions on 2 (as well as the VII port) when you've put some playtime in it.

Really solid list there.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Here is what I got.

Awesomenauts - I doubt I will ever play this, but it was super cheap.

Far Cry Franchise Pack - I was not too interested in this. I just bought it because my brother wanted it and he gave me the money for it.

Garry's Mod - It is what you make of it. There's some cool multiplayer stuff people have made. It's better when you play with friends.

Goat Simulator - I didn't expect much, but it is a decent time killer.

Risk of Rain 4 Pack - I bought this and gifted it to some friends. I had to jump through some hoops to edit my network settings so I could host a game. According to Google, pretty much everyone has to do this to play co-op. We ended up using a program called Hamachi to play together. We eventually encountered some kind of glitch that wouldn't let us continue. On a different occasion, when I was playing with just one friend, he couldn't open chests at a certain point, even though he had enough money. I encountered less problems in single player. The game is okay, though it kind of devolves into running from enemies and shooting them when it's safe.

Papers, Please - I like it.

Saints Row Pack - Haven't played it yet.

Sleeping Dogs - Haven't played it yet.

The Stanley Parable - No way in hell is this worth buying, even at 6 dollars. Yes, I know about all the different endings and did some of them, and I understand it is satiric.

They Bleed Pixels - Haven't played it yet.

Also, I'm proud to say I bought all this using steam funds I earned from selling Dota 2 cosmetics and items.

Disappointing sale to me, didn't see anything I was particularly interested in and the sales themselves seemed kinda skimpy compared to last years' offerings. Might pick up To the Moon if it's still $1.50, but yeah...I mean come on, Bioshock Infinite Season Pass can easily come down more than the 40-50% they're offering considering its age now. Maybe the Fall sale will shape up better.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I know I'm late to the party but I just picked up Civ V. Add me on Steam if you don't have me. My Steam acct name is Acklow, per usual....

Disappointing sale to me, didn't see anything I was particularly interested in and the sales themselves seemed kinda skimpy compared to last years' offerings. Might pick up To the Moon if it's still $1.50, but yeah...I mean come on, Bioshock Infinite Season Pass can easily come down more than the 40-50% they're offering considering its age now. Maybe the Fall sale will shape up better.
Don't know if this applies to you (how big is your library? how old is your account? the older/bigger your library, the less sales are gonna offer you, because they always put up the AAA staples) but I'm hoping for better discounts in the winter sale/Black Friday; a lot of things people complained about the price on are pretty new. All the same, it's true that multiple games had really weak discounts, including daily deals. I noticed a lot of people commenting that discounts were lower previous years on certain games. Which admittedly has happened before. And I have to agree with you on Bioshock.

It was also interesting to note that there were games cheaper on GOG etc. (e.g. Risen) and especially Amazon, or games you could get for free (SpaceChem) at the same time. Plus a lot of the stuff people complained about going on sale were in recent Humble Bundles as aforementioned.

If you didn't spend money, you are the true winner here. (And Pidge.)

I am proud that I didn't spend any real money on the games I bought from the Steam Sale. They came from virtual currency / collectibles I have from another forum.

I got Civilazation V, Skyrim, Prison Architect, and I'm planning to get Papers, Please some time soon.

tl;dr

current casualties of the summer sale: zero
helps that i'm without internet at home and my credit card expired, eh

i was kinda thinking about buying the sonic racing game (played it yesterday with a friend, t'was fun) and age of empires HD but i know i'll just get bored of them eventually.

but that is a good thing, my backlog on steam alone is ridiculous and i don't have any hope of clearing it as it stands in the next 10 years.

steam nick is bebemoises: steamcommunity.com/id/bebemoises

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Got Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Batman: Arkham City, Skyrim, and Battlefront II (my childhood!)
Been playing a lot of Skyrim to pass the summer and I'm pretty happy with what I've bought :D

Hate Bundle: It included Analogue and Hate plus + their respective soundtracks for only a cent more than the sale price of buying each game individually for 66%, and I would've acquired the soundtrack if I hadn't paid for it, so I figured why not? My friend said I would like it and it's a VN by the uber chill Christine Love so I'm eager to start on this soontm

Papers, Please - Last few hours of the sale and I had $11.75 left, so I bought this at 50% off before I collapsed in my bed at 5 AM from steamitis. xD

System Shock 2 - Cybperpunk/horror RPG and a shooter that's not 50 shades of brown, does it's thing well with low poly, and costed $1.49 :D

They Bleed Pixels - Also bought this because it looked really unique and promising. The characters in the screenshots looked like gothic lolitas with these killer ass scythes and it's a platformer beat-em-up with combos so i bought it during a flash

Also, I finished transistor in two more sittings(like 15 hours iirc). Holy fuck. The transistor. The final boss. The ENDING. Everything. I'll have to complete the NG+ and achievements in the very close future.

dat final boss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)