Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Damn, great progress. First town looks awesome Turtleye .

Planning to leave the general storyline (in the town) to others. Here's just the speech for Prof. Chou inside his lab.
(My personal idea would be to LET players go into the grassy area on route 1 even without a Pokemon, only to get ass-kicked by a wild Pokemon and the black-out message "go lurk more.")

Professor Chou, busily working on something-- turns around when the player talks to him.
"Oh, hello there. And you are?
I see, your name is <player>. Well nice to meet you. What can I do for you?
Ah I see, you want to be a Pokemon trainer. Hmmm... let's just take a look at your profile here. Well, it looks like you've spent enough time in Golurk Moar. I think we can give you a shot-- at Smogon, we do our best to encourage new players, as it's players that make for great competition. Who knows, there might be a great talent in you. So the first order of business is to get you a Pokemon. On the table, you'll find 12 exceptional Pokemon, straight from the Wifi group's cloning department. All of them have been cloned from perfect breeds, so you can know at the very least you will have a great starter Pokemon. Go ahead, take your pick.

<>
So, you're going to pick the Physical wall, Bold Bulbasaur?
So, you're going to pick the Offensive tank, Modest Bulbasaur?
So, you're going to pick the Special wall, Calm Bulbasaur?
So, you're going to pick the Physical mixed offense wall, Relaxed Bulbasaur?
So, you're going to pick the future Zard-X sweeper/staller, Jolly Charmander?
So, you're going to pick the Zard-X physical sweeper, Adamant Charmander?
So, you're going to pick the massive special Zard-Y attacker, Modest Charmander?
So, you're going to pick the mixed sweeper, Naive Charmander?
So, you're going to pick the special sweeper, Timid Froakie?
So, you're going to pick the special pivot, Naive Froakie?
So you're going to pick the special attacker, Modest Froakie?
So, you're going to pick the special sweeper, Timid Froakie with Hidden Power Fire?

I see, this is a powerful Pokemon, that will surely perform well in the hands of a good trainer. Use it well.

Also, you'll need this to guide you.
<obtain smogondex>

That's the Smogondex, it is a complete Pokedex for the SmogSmog region. It contains detailed and complete information on the fully evolved forms and competitive unevolved forms of every Pokemon in the region (so in other words, information on every Pokemon relevant to top-level competition). It contains strategic information that will help you make the best sets, and raise the best Pokemon. It'll tell you everything you need to know about a Pokemon's strengths, weaknesses, and how to raise it, but it won't make you a good player or teach you how to make a good team. That's up to you as a trainer on your adventure. Also, while you are free to view all the strategic data, you won't see locations of Pokemon until you meet them. Be sure to pay great attention to the Smogondex's sets as you raise your mons, and at the very least you'll be much much better than if you didn't. Don't worry about adding information to the Smogondex, because it's already as close to perfect as possible.

I'll also go ahead and give you some Pokeballs. If you don't know how to use these... well, you should Golurk moar.

This is the start of a great adventure! Pursue only the top, as that's all that matters-- good luck!"

Last edited:
I liked making the map and now I cant make another one n.n

Nice story Chou Toshio , I like the idea that the player doesn't get warned.

I have a few questions though:
1. How old is the protagonist
2. What if the player screws up their EV training ( an EV-resetting system would be cool :o )
3. Will that daycare I made actually be a daycare

Besides that, keep in mind that EV's act different at levels other than 100, since some of the EV-points ''save'' for later level-up afaik

2. What if the player screws up their EV training ( an EV-resetting system would be cool :o )

Besides that, keep in mind that EV's act different at levels other than 100, since some of the EV-points ''save'' for later level-up afaik
1.) I prefer about mid teens...probably about the same age as the BW protagonists
2.) I think Prof. Chou should also give the player some good number of each stat reducing berry telling them that it's fine to make mistakes as long as you learn how to fix them. And that way we can also introduce the berry growing aspect of the game too.
3.) That I don't know

Oh thats an interesting idea :o Could maybe do for one of the ''special'' locations (heck maybe it could be the small island at the bottom of the map)
Meganium

Anyway should we really do the proposals already for the Pokemon living in the pond in Golurkmoar town? I mean, we don't know yet at which point in the game we will aquire the rods or Surf.

Also will there be spots like rustling grass in BW?
Spots like in BW would be pretty cool. Audino can be replaced with Happiny and in later stages of the game Chansey as the Chansey evolution line is viable and gives a lot of experience points. Also since Chansey is a rare Pokemon and rustling grass is seen as a rare experience ( Even though it's not ) it makes sense to put Chansey's and Happiny's in there.

Also how are we gonna deal with people trying to evolve Porygon2 into Porygon-Z. Could we have something like oh you noob why did you evolve it or maybe we could make the item nesacerry to evolve Porygon2 into Porygon-Z non existent.

Does Zekrom need to be available in the game in order to use Kyurem-B? If so, you're letting people use a tough Ubers pokemon.

............We will get to that bridge when we cross it, but battles will have rules as OU in that no ubers are allowed. And if needed, we will probably allow the K-B gene if accessible.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
I can't imagine it'd be hard to bypass the needing Zekrom issue. Just have some NPC 'have' a Zekrom, and then have him do the fusion thingy or however it works.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

2: EV shifter later in the game.

Also, if you really want to be ornery, we'll try to organize the routes so that you can always focus on beating wild Pokemon with relevant EVs.

Porygon2 -> Just don't include the item "Dubious Disk"

Kyurem-B -> Just don't include it... or, make a wild Kyurem-B catchable without the de-fuser in the game (until the Ubers island).

OR just don't worry about it, because each island in the game has the Smogon rules for that tier enforced anyway (If you try to carry more than one Pokemon with Baton Pass, you'll get a warning message stopping you from using it for instance). The same warning messages would pop up whenever you try to break the rules-- same thing that happens in the regular games when you try to use a fishing rod in a grassy patch. If you try to carry zekrom on your team, it'll stop you.

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Cant we just add super training? IMO its a far superior & funner way to EV train then just battling wild pokemon tons of times. Also we can actually control what EVs we get without designating routes to certain EVs. (Edit: Nvm we cant since a 3DS emulator doesn't exist yet)

Also when is the determination for the wild pokemon coming

Last edited:

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Cant we just add super training? IMO its a far superior & funner way to EV train then just battling wild pokemon tons of times. Also we can actually control what EVs we get without designating routes to certain EVs. (Edit: Nvm we cant since a 3DS emulator doesn't exist yet)

Also when is the determination for the wild pokemon coming
AFAIK we're not (officially) making an actual cartridge, so I see no reason why we can't have Super Training. Honestly, without Super Training (and the other breeding/training updates in XY) I don't think I'd ever train on-cart.

Although, since competitiveness would be consciously considered by the player from the start, it'd probably be significantly less hassle to EV train and such, since you'd be doing it as you play through the story. Still, I think Super Training would be a valuable addition.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
AFAIK we're not (officially) making an actual cartridge, so I see no reason why we can't have Super Training. Honestly, without Super Training (and the other breeding/training updates in XY) I don't think I'd ever train on-cart.

Although, since competitiveness would be consciously considered by the player from the start, it'd probably be significantly less hassle to EV train and such, since you'd be doing it as you play through the story. Still, I think Super Training would be a valuable addition.
Wow I did not realize that, kinda makes me want it even more. Also, fwi Super Training does not increase EXP, only EVs, so you might want to do some regular training.

If this were a simulator, the points would be valid, but this is like playing a game, hence how we have this structured hey yal and and it hasn't ever hurt leveling pokemon unless you are in one of the earlier games.

On to other discussion, this has been one of the harder points ive been debating bout what to do with. Atm we have several great ideas for game rivals that pop up throughout the game (our favorite atm belongs to the one who utilizes Ashe like team before eventually using a team with Ashe's most OU capable pokemon and is a respectable battler then) but not exactly a true rival.

We have had a but load of child hood friends, person who steals, new neighbors who don't even evolve their starter to the end (please be fixed in ORAS), but I don't think a simple neighbor or friend could be the case here.

My idea revolve around this: You are sent out on your journey after receiving starter, and as you are about to step on Route 1, and you get yelled at with "Hey!" the player turns round to see this gal bout same height, and she walks up to you and just demands that she battles you. You get to respond yes or no, and if yes she proclaims "Now I get to see what this apparent student of Cho's is all about" or if you click no, "Did I look like I was bout to take no for an answer bud?"

Battle goes on with the starter that best counters yours. Once completed, she will give victory or defeat exclamation and will tell you "Just had to see for myself why he trusted ya with that Pokémon as much as he does. I am from Ser-I-Bee (region name can be tweaked later) under the tutelage of one of the best Pokémon Professors in the world. My Prof asked me to come here to help determine to see how far you all have come along in your extensive battling research and once I was done to take it back to him to use in his weekly 'Pokémon of the Week'. Then if it also ment I could be able to beat whatever upstart of a trainer Cho had going to journey through the region....well two birds with one stone, am I right?"

She then walks off, but turns around after realizing she dropped her Trainer Card, and asks if you can throw it to her. Thus you get her name, she leaves, and journey starts.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
If this were a simulator, the points would be valid, but this is like playing a game, hence how we have this structured hey yal and and it hasn't ever hurt leveling pokemon unless you are in one of the earlier games.

On to other discussion, this has been one of the harder points ive been debating bout what to do with. Atm we have several great ideas for game rivals that pop up throughout the game (our favorite atm belongs to the one who utilizes Ashe like team before eventually using a team with Ashe's most OU capable pokemon and is a respectable battler then) but not exactly a true rival.

We have had a but load of child hood friends, person who steals, new neighbors who don't even evolve their starter to the end (please be fixed in ORAS), but I don't think a simple neighbor or friend could be the case here.

My idea revolve around this: You are sent out on your journey after receiving starter, and as you are about to step on Route 1, and you get yelled at with "Hey!" the player turns round to see this gal bout same height, and she walks up to you and just demands that she battles you. You get to respond yes or no, and if yes she proclaims "Now I get to see what this apparent student of Cho's is all about" or if you click no, "Did I look like I was bout to take no for an answer bud?"

Battle goes on with the starter that best counters yours. Once completed, she will give victory or defeat exclamation and will tell you "Just had to see for myself why he trusted ya with that Pokémon as much as he does. I am from Ser-I-Bee (region name can be tweaked later) under the tutelage of one of the best Pokémon Professors in the world. My Prof asked me to come here to help determine to see how far you all have come along in your extensive battling research and once I was done to take it back to him to use in his weekly 'Pokémon of the Week'. Then if it also ment I could be able to beat whatever upstart of a trainer Cho had going to journey through the region....well two birds with one stone, am I right?"

She then walks off, but turns around after realizing she dropped her Trainer Card, and asks if you can throw it to her. Thus you get her name, she leaves, and journey starts.
Well it could work as long as she actually battles you throughout the game like the rivals in actual games

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Yeah modeling the rival after the Gen 2/4 rival seems like the best suit for our concept, personality aside.

Speaking of. Everyone is pushing for this cocky fucker of a rival, but honestly I think that's a bad idea. I'm far more interested in seeing someone like one of the various XY rivals who enjoys pokemon but is tryi to learn. It'd be a lot more better for new players to face off against someone similar to them, as opposed to someone who acts like a asshole OU Ladder player. Hell, it could even be a mentor as your rival; someone who is trying to help you by giving you competition - he staggers his 'skill level' based on where you are. Kinda like the explanation for Cheren going from decent trainer to shitty gym leader in between games.

Is Duck-Z so much worse then Duck-2 that we shouldn't even have it in the game? They are such different mons that a duck-2 with a duck-z set is gonna be far worse then a duck-z with a duck-z set, even though for in game purposes a duck-z set would make more sense (You really don't have the PP to afford stall wars in game for anything other then boss battles).

In case you are confused, replace "duck" with "porygon", I dislike typing out "porygon" and ducks are funny.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think it would be best to have 2 rivals, that way we can have our cake and eat it, too.

Also because the Ash thing was sorta my idea and I want that to still happen.

a fairy

Community Leader
Honestly after giving it some thought, making the Asher a rival is better then putting Ash in VicRoad. Several reminders over the course of the game is a good idea. Just don't ram it down the player's throat.

Is Duck-Z so much worse then Duck-2 that we shouldn't even have it in the game? They are such different mons that a duck-2 with a duck-z set is gonna be far worse then a duck-z with a duck-z set, even though for in game purposes a duck-z set would make more sense (You really don't have the PP to afford stall wars in game for anything other then boss battles).

In case you are confused, replace "duck" with "porygon", I dislike typing out "porygon" and ducks are funny.
P-Z Is my favorite Normal type, but we are running this game to teach bout OU viable mons, and P-Z is not very viable as his role as a special destroyer is outclassed by others. Just got to wait for UU Island to use the fabled Duck Destroyer.

Honestly after giving it some thought, making the Asher a rival is better then putting Ash in VicRoad. Several reminders over the course of the game is a good idea. Just don't ram it down the player's throat.
Werent planning on it as from the original suggestion its gonna be pretty interesting to see how it progresses all throughout.

I didn't read the last 2 pages, so srry if i'm saying shit.
I suggest a "breeding safari", where you can get all mons you need to breed egg moves that aren't OU viable, so we don't have to put shit mons on the routes. If it's too much pokemons we can split the safari into different areas, like desert, plains, lakes...
Inside the safari we could have a NPC saying: "Pokemon on this safari are for breeding, and ONLY for for breeding. Don't dare using this pokemon on your team."
This could be on the same city as day care

Last edited:
About Porygon-Z, wouldn't it be better to show why it is inferior to Porygon2, rather than shoving Porygon2 down the player's throat by not allowing Porygon-Z period? The same could be said of Gallade, Glalie, most of the Eevolutions, and even Phione; would Rotom-W be independent of Rotom? Aside from that, if Mantine and Escavalier are included as being OU viable, then Shelmet and Remoraid will need to be included as well, unless a perfect Escavalier was given to the player and Mantyke was wholly taken out.

It seems like it would be a good idea to have a few unviable pokemon out there, if only to show what works and what doesn't, and even to allow some creativity. I'm not saying that every pokemon should be included, but at the very least, those who would normally be obtainable simply because they're related to someone who's actually on the list should be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)