Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the overwhelming majority of Pokémon getting Mega Evolutions are from the Hoenn Region, do you guys think even more Megas are determined for this region? Yes, there is speculation for Camerupt, Sharpedo, Milotic, and all the Hoenn Dragons, and most are probably going to be true. However, for the sake of unbiasedness, what are the chances for Pokémon of the other regions to have them.

Let's look at Generations I and II; even if the Starters are discounted, these generations hold the second largest majority of the Mega Evos and with good reason. The game has grown more competitively over the Generations. Favorites such as Charizard, Houndoom, and Heracross were becoming worse than useless as time passed. With the introduction of Stealth Rock, Speed tiers, and new Pokémon that generally outclass them, their uses have been limited, even outside the Metagame as even Pokémon with moderate speeds or crippling typings have become undesireable. Their only redeeming factor being existent in the early days of Pokémon, where they had the most opportunities to expand their moveslots or change their abilities over the new Generations.

Now there's the newer Generations, IV-VI; I believe the Metagame stabilized around this time, given the physical/special split defined everything since Gen IV along with the instances of a whole lot of new attacks. The least Mega Evos have included Pokémon from these regions, but was it right? The Pokémon are fairly balanced with abilities, typings, and move sets that make them capable for battle, but it feels as if the game wouldn't change much if some of these Pokémon got Mega Evos. Sinnoh Pokémon seem like good candidates; Toxicroak, Spiritomb, and a few of the Pokémon that gained an evolution when they got transferred to this region like Roserade or Dusknoir. I don't think giving these Pokémon Megas would make them broken at all. Unova Pokémon on the other hand seemed as if they were bred for battle. Jellicent, Volcarona, Chandelure may have fallen from grace in the competitive environment, but buffing them would probably make them broken in general. Except maybe Ferrothorn, because I like Ferrothorn. Kalos introduced the least amount of Pokémon, a fair amount being obviously useless and some incredible in battle with few that are mediocre that would be good choices for Mega Evos. It seems too early to say which Kalos Pokémon should get a Mega besides Diancie, but that's just me.

Now back to the Generation III; I believe that Generation III was the last Generation to introduce a good number of Pokémon that clearly sucked. Mixed attackers like Cacturne and Seviper had decent offensive stats at best, but every other stat and their abilities were terrible. There were even some Pokémon that are not even fixable, like Mightyena. Gamefreak would probably be doing that region a favor if a decent handful of those Megas came from Hoenn.

What do you guys think?

I don't see that Aarune guy having a mega evolution. It doesn't make sense plot-wise as he's a rather minor trainer. The fact he doesn't have a mega bangle or something of the sort pretty much confirms that. I think people want mega Flygon so much they are turning to some wishful thinking that Aarune will have a mega evolution the second time you battle him - we don't even know if we'll battle him more than once, and even if we do, do you guys see him changing sprites and getting a mega item? Only major trainers change sprites throughout the game as they develop and do you guys really think Aarune will have that much importance and character development? I'd say the E4 is more likely to get ME and I don't see it happening either - though I think it would be cool, especially since it would mean some new megas - mega shiftry for Sidney (mega Absol is no longer something new and the Shiftry we saw next to Sidney in Coro Coro could be a hint - btw if Shiftry gets a mega don't leave Ludicolo out!), mega Sableye for Phoebe (that one is confirmed and I don't see either Dusclops - because of Dusknoir - or Banette - we're going for new ME here).

Mega Walrein for Glacia would be a much welcome addition. Even if the E4 doesn't have ME, something like Mega Walrein or even Mega Glalie is to be expected (screw you Froslass - just like Gallade - we'll get back to you in the DP remakes). There is ONLY ONE ice type mega evolution, so I'd say at least one new ice type mega is highly likely.

And Mega Salamence for Drake! I think it would fit in perfectly with Mega Metagross, especially since they were both pseudo-legendaries that dominated third gen's metagame and have been falling by the wayside ever since. A mega isn't guaranteed to turn them into top tier threats, but it definitely would give them more options and increase their usage. I personally prefer Mega Salamence to Mega Flygon and I think it's more likely too.

A Mega Flygon would be cool though. Just because I don't think Aarune will have one doesn't mean I'm ruling it out. Just please don't make it Dragon/Ground. As I said before, there's ONLY ONE ice type mega evolution, having two Dragon/Ground would be a waste given all the existing possibilities for megas. On top of that freaking Flygon doesn't even belong to the Dragon Egg Group, but to the Bug Egg Group instead. Please GF, if you're making a Mega Flygon, make it Dragon/Bug. And don't forget to throw in one or two ice type Megas too.

With the overwhelming majority of Pokémon getting Mega Evolutions are from the Hoenn Region, do you guys think even more Megas are determined for this region? Yes, there is speculation for Camerupt, Sharpedo, Milotic, and all the Hoenn Dragons, and most are probably going to be true. However, for the sake of unbiasedness, what are the chances for Pokémon of the other regions to have them.

Let's look at Generations I and II; even if the Starters are discounted, these generations hold the second largest majority of the Mega Evos and with good reason. The game has grown more competitively over the Generations. Favorites such as Charizard, Houndoom, and Heracross were becoming worse than useless as time passed. With the introduction of Stealth Rock, Speed tiers, and new Pokémon that generally outclass them, their uses have been limited, even outside the Metagame as even Pokémon with moderate speeds or crippling typings have become undesireable. Their only redeeming factor being existent in the early days of Pokémon, where they had the most opportunities to expand their moveslots over the new Generations.

Now there's the newer Generations, IV-VI; I believe the Metagame stabilized around this time, given the physical/special split defined everything since Gen IV along with the instances of a whole lot of new attacks. The least Mega Evos have included Pokémon from these regions, but was it right? The Pokémon are fairly balanced with abilities, typings, and move sets that make them capable for battle, but it feels as if the game wouldn't change much if some of these Pokémon got Mega Evos. Sinnoh Pokémon seem like good candidates; Toxicroak, Spiritomb, and a few of the Pokémon that gained an evolution when they got transferred to this region like Roserade or Dusknoir. I don't think giving these Pokémon Megas would make them broken at all. Unova Pokémon on the other hand seemed as if they were bred for battle. Jellicent, Volcarona, Chandelure may have fallen from grace in the competitive environment, but buffing them would probably make them broken in general. Except maybe Ferrothorn, because I like Ferrothorn. Kalos introduced the least amount of Pokémon, a fair amount being obviously useless and some incredible in battle with few that are mediocre that would be good choices for Mega Evos. It seems too early to say which Kalos Pokémon should get a Mega besides Diancie, but that's just me.

Now back to the Generation III; I believe that Generation III was the last Generation to introduce a good number of Pokémon that clearly sucked. Mixed attackers like Cacturne and Seviper had decent offensive stats at best, but every other stat and their abilities were terrible. There were even some Pokémon that are not even fixable, like Mightyena. Gamefreak would probably be doing that region a favor if a decent handful of those Megas came from Hoenn.

What do you guys think?

Gen 3 last gen to introduce useless Pokémon?

This thing is useful?!

It was a staple Spiker in NU last gen, not sure about this one.
I recall that but I was more thinking that he was just meaning mons that didn't have what they needed to be up to stuff, which made me think Garbo cause it tries to be a bit bulky but is still less so thank Muk but guess my comparison was a little lacking there.

This thing is useful?!
It was a staple Spiker in NU last gen, not sure about this one.
Besides that, you're proving nothing by picking out one "crappy" pokémon and trying to debunk Rilan's point. I agree with him. Just compare the bug types found at the beginning of the game in gen I-III (Butterfree/Beedril, Ariados/Ledian, Beautifly/Dustox) and compare them to the ones found in gen V-VI (Leavanny/Scolipede and Vivillon). The latter two are viable and even Leavanny has pretty decent stats compared to the bugs from previous generations.

This thing is useful?!
You got me there, but all I remember bad from that region besides disposable garbage was that ice cream Pokémon, and the incarnates for Parasect (Leavanny w/o Spore) and Carvanha (Useless fish). Not a pretty terrible region overall, but there are some terrible Pokémon. I just want to punch the guy who ruined the opportunity to create a cool looking primary Poison type for Unova.

Besides that, you're proving nothing by picking out one "crappy" pokémon and trying to debunk Rilan's point. I agree with him. Just compare the bug types found at the beginning of the game in gen I-III (Butterfree/Beedril, Ariados/Ledian, Beautifly/Dustox) and compare them to the ones found in gen V-VI (Leavanny/Scolipede and Vivillon). The latter two are viable and even Leavanny has pretty decent stats compared to the bugs from previous generations.
Again, I get that. Sorry I went through my comparison in the wrong way there as I thought that made sense in my head and clearly it didn't. How I saw it was more comparison of Garbo to Muk since I have pretty much always seen Muk as the better in most cases when I had to pick between the two even if the two were different roles (spike user to just hit absorber who can bulk up).

Again, sorry that I was rushed a little there but that's first thing that popped into my head as not immediately being as useful compared to something from earlier gens cause of its comparisons to Muk, not it being a NU mon or Crappy mon.

I recall that but I was more thinking that he was just meaning mons that didn't have what they needed to be up to stuff, which made me think Garbo cause it tries to be a bit bulky but is still less so thank Muk but guess my comparison was a little lacking there.
It's alright, I was just being nitpicky. And I don't believe Rilan was saying that Gen 3 was that last to introduce useless Pokemon period, he's just saying it was the last to release copious amounts of them. Plusle and Minun, Seviper, Spinda, Kecleon, (though it did get Protean this gen,) Mightyena, Chimecho, the list goes on and on.

Now that I think about it, Mega Muk sounds like an excellent Pokémon to give a Mega form to. Good Defensive typing, access to Shadow Sneak, access to Fire Punch for those pesky Steel types, and a weird but good stat spread with high base stats in HP, Attack, and Special Defense. It was held back by what exactly? Steel types that kept getting better treatment over the years and anything with access to Earthquake? A Mega has the opportunity to fix all that. At least that's what I hope. My guess is that Metagross had an Attack and Speed increase to compensate for its Steel typing failing its Psychic half this generation so that it would be at least better than dead weight when compared to other Pokémon that had immense popularity.

Now that I think about it, Mega Muk sounds like an excellent Pokémon to give a Mega form to. Good Defensive typing, access to Shadow Sneak, access to Fire Punch for those pesky Steel types, and a weird but good stat spread with high base stats in HP, Attack, and Special Defense. It was held back by what exactly? Steel types that kept getting better treatment over the years and anything with access to Earthquake? A Mega has the opportunity to fix all that. At least that's what I hope. My guess is that Metagross had an Attack and Speed increase to compensate for its Steel typing failing its Psychic half this generation so that it would be at least better than dead weight when compared to other Pokémon that had immense popularity.
Idk, I keep getting mixed ideas from what people reading or 'translating' the coro coro scans. First it might be Tough claws Metagross, oh then it might be attack and speed boosts, which just seem too good or a little to safe for me to say. Wish we'd get the update already on those scans.

(Muk btw is always a good one. He just got held back by the fact that he is fairly slow to start with and take a bit from most physical attacker's EQ without a Bulk Up boost or any. Mega Muk sounds like a nice fan wish tho)

Why shouldn't he be given a Mega? I'd prefer to see them widespread. Gym Leaders, Elite Four and notable NPC's are all fair game imo.

It seems you have a pretty arbitrary set of reasons why Mega's should be limited to certain characters.
In XY, a big plot point is the fact that Mega Stones are extremely limited – there were only five Key Stones for you, your rival, the Champion, the Successor, and the evil team leader. While I'm sure that they'll become more widespread in the future, it would be very strange for Gym Leaders, notable NPCs, and even the Elite 4 get Key Stones right off the bat without a plot explanation.

However, I agree with your basic premise: Mega Evolutions, from a gameplay standpoint, should be something you fight against more frequently. If this could be reconciled with the plot by having Steven find a way to produce Key Stones or find an underground deposit with a lot of them, then I would be very happy.

So... let's say there actually is a Mega Flygon.

Then, let's say that GF does, indeed, give it a type change.

Now, watch it be to Bug/Ground.

How cruel. They'll have to compensate by giving Masquerain its Water typing back for STAB Hydro Pumps.

Bug/Ground doesn't sound so bad. Slapping Dragon on anything would make gamers drool over it. Makes sense too, but its best STAB Bug moves would be U-turn and Bug Bite as Physical moves with Signal Beam and Silver Wind being Special. How does this thing not get Bug Buzz even as a Pre-evolutionary move in Vibrava.

Am I the only one who prefers Trapinch over Flygon because it looks too freaking adorable. Not pink blob adorable because Jigglypuff is just plain creepy.

Fine by me, as long as it's not Dragon/Ground. Both Dragon/Bug and Ground/Bug are going to be to be something new competitively, would help setting Mega Flygon apart from Garchomp and its Mega and also makes sense. They could save Dragon/Bug for Yanmega (as if every single pokémon were to be given a Mega Evolution...).

I just had this thought: every ME announced so far has been a Hoenn Pokémon. I, for one, am not even sure there will be a new mega evolution given to a non-Hoenn pokémon except for Diancie. There'll probably a pokémon Z next year. Following this reasoning, ME from Kalos Pokémon doesn't sound that far fetched. If there's NO new mega evolution in Z after all the mega hype we're having with ORAS, you guys know we'll all be disappointed. Well, maybe not every single of us, but you know everyone is going to speculate wildly (and have high hopes). Not to mention GF is likely to milk this ME stuff, since it is extremely popular. Yay for mega Greninja! =x

Give it Arena Trap imo
You're a genius. That would totally differentiate Flygon from Garchomp and make it viable (perhaps even banned like Mega Gengar). Arena Trap also fits in nicely with a Bug/Ground type. So Flygon losing its Dragon Type doesn't need to bad news.

Metang is attached to the bottom half of Mega Metagross with its two arms extended backward out of Mega Meta's back. You can see the nose spike/eyes/side spikes from Metang in Mega Metagross's design.
It's not very clear right now, but it looks like there's one more layer in!

Beldum's also peeking out!

I feel like the top limbs are Metagross' original ones (and so only the 2 forelimbs grew) and the bottom two giant claws are actually Metang's. Up to interpretation, really.

Last edited:
I have the sudden urge to go watch the older series of Power Rangers.

I'm guessing that Beldum's face is where Flash Cannons and Hyper Beams will be fired out from.

One can only imagine the sound it will make upon Mega Evolving.

Why shouldn't he be given a Mega? I'd prefer to see them widespread. Gym Leaders, Elite Four and notable NPC's are all fair game imo.

It seems you have a pretty arbitrary set of reasons why Mega's should be limited to certain characters.
They've set megas up as this pretty elite thing, it'd be a mistake to go back on that now.

But after after Sergeant Spooky 's last post, I feel like an idiot

ARENA TRAP MEGA FLYGON PLEASE!

Look above Metagross' head. Isn't that a hind leg sticking out? It looks too off-center to be a head appendage. Does Mega Metagross really have six legs? Or is it eight, based on that tiny in-game picture in the upper right? Either way, looks pretty stupid imo.

EDIT: i see Stellar's and Scepticallistic's posts and can see now how it's the three evos mashed together
EDIT 2: to the mod editing my post, just the legs sticking out the back is stupid to me. not a huge fan of the metang spike either, but the rest of the design is cool. i also like that it's just different enough to be believable as a mega but not completely changed like some of them are.

Also, my money is on Mega Salamence to be revealed next. Flygon could fit too, I suppose, but Salamence and Metagross are both (sort of) post-game Pokémon, both very powerful and classed as pseudo-legendaries. Then again, we've seen no sign of Mega Dragonite or Goodra so far, so pseudo-legendarity doesn't guarantee Mega-evolutions. But I still think it's a pretty strong possibility Salamence will get the Mega treatment too.
i was saying the same thing to Age of Kings earlier today. seems like it'll have 4 arms and 2 legs or something. and it also seems like they're just floating backwards from its body, almost like jet engines or something. you can see it a bit better (although the image is a bit fuzzy) in the 3D ingame render on the top right corner. idk, i think it's a bit stupid, but oh well.

EDIT: i see Stellar's and Scepticallistic's posts and can definitely see how it's the three evos just mashed together
EDIT 2: to the mod editing my post, only the legs sticking out the back is stupid to me. not a huge fan of the metang spike either, but overall i like the design, especially because it's different enough to be believable as a mega, but not a huge departure in design like some of them.

i also agree with you that we'll see mega mence next. even though i would love mega flygon more than anything, i'm not as convinced it'll get a mega as i am about mence or as i was about metagross (before the reveal)

either way, we've got a few months left, and there have been quite a lot of leaks already, so there's hope we'll still have quite a lot of megas to come.

Last edited:
Definitely agree with everything you said! Gen3 was bad before physical/special split. I wonder how different the stats of gen3 mons would have been if the split was present then. Don't think there would have been as many mixed attackers.

Did anyone bother doing a reverse calculation on Metagross HP? It seems rather low

168 HP for a Level 50

252 EV

15 IV 69

31 IV 61

152 EV

15 IV 82

31 IV 74

0 IV

15 IV 101

31 IV 93

Take note I have no idea how to calculate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)