Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.

lats

formerly lockiegengar12
Sidetracked much?

Anyways, it looks like we aren't getting to walk our Pokemon which I find disappointing. I think everyone loved that feature in HGSS and have been hoping to get it back for the last two generations, but it seems GF refuses to do it :(.

Mega Flygon looks probable to be honest. Even if that guy only exists to tour you on secret bases, it seems kind of odd he has *one* Pokemon which happens to be Flygon (who fits the criteria for a mega-evo Pokemon).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The thing about walking is that it requires a lot of animation compared to what it did earlier.

In HGSS, all they needed for walking Pokémon was three sprites with two frames of animation for every Pokémon (Walking up, walking down, walking sideways, that last one can be mirrored). It involved very little data, and a rather minimal amount of spriting.

Now, however, with fancy perspectives and 3D models and whatnot, a flat two-frame sprite would look really out of place. You'd have to create a walking animation for every 3D model, of which there are a good 800 or so (a number which keeps growing for every game). A lot of data to store, nevermind a lot of animation work. Unless GameFreak wants to invest significantly in walking Pokémon, we won't see it for a while.

Deleted User 220884

Banned deucer.
Well, Mega Sharpedo, and Mega Camerupt would be really cool to happen, and I think it's likely to happen, as you can see on Archie, he has a mega stone on him (his hand is covering it)

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The thing about walking is that it requires a lot of animation compared to what it did earlier.

In HGSS, all they needed for walking Pokémon was three sprites with two frames of animation for every Pokémon (Walking up, walking down, walking sideways, that last one can be mirrored). It involved very little data, and a rather minimal amount of spriting.

Now, however, with fancy perspectives and 3D models and whatnot, a flat two-frame sprite would look really out of place. You'd have to create a walking animation for every 3D model, of which there are a good 800 or so (a number which keeps growing for every game). A lot of data to store, nevermind a lot of animation work. Unless GameFreak wants to invest significantly in walking Pokémon, we won't see it for a while.
Yeah, they were smart and used the 3D Pokédex Pro as grounds for the XY models, and share the package with the whole team and any third-parties that would want to use them for spin-offs. Unless, they decide to improve that "database" with walking animations, we're never getting following pokémon again.

And frankly, why would we. Wailord or the bigger legendaries would be too awkward. They're not my dog, wtf.

Also, like, I'm pretty sure they would need to make entirely new overworld models

Compare Lucario's in battle....

to his overworld

pretty sure these are mostly different models. Same goes for the little fletchlings, espurrs and litleos you see around.

I'm also willing to bet lag issues would be in play, I can only imagine how the game would stutter with an additional actor following you around in motion would take its toll on an engine that struggles with any additional effect to the overworld it seems

Yeah, wanting about 800 new models - especially keeping in mind Unown, GOD - is really overestimating the 3DS's capabilities. It's a fantastic console and honestly my favourite gaming device, but... it has it's limits, guys.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not only the 3DS, but also the designers. Even if the console could manage it, it still would take a fair bit of resources during game development. After all, somebody has to make sure the animations look right, that the light hits the 'mon just right or that all the joints bend in the right ways. It's a fair amount of man-hours involved, and battle animations would have a lot higher priority.

Besides, some Pokémon would be hard to show walking. Hariyama, Magmortar and Tyranitar spring to mind (seriously, look at Tyranitar's knees compared to its pelvic joints, and imagine it walking - something clearly isn't attached right on that Pokémon).

The confirmation of Dusknoir being available during the storyline (technically not confirmation, but I doubt GF would be troll enough to let us battle Phoebe's Dusknoir without being able to obtain one ourselves) does make me wonder if they will retcon Wally's Gardevoir to a Gallade. I would prefer that they didn't, but GF seems to really hate repeating signature Pokemon of important NPCs. (Off the top of my head, Agatha and Morty share Gengar, but only because Gengar was the only Ghost-type in Gen I, and Lance and Clair--again, because Dragonite was the only Dragon-type in Gen I).

If Agatha got Gengar, Morty got Mismagius, and Fantina got Driblim, that would solve everything .-. Also if Clair took Kingdra and Juan made do with Luvdisc since nobody likes him anyways

Also, I'm a bit disappointed that they made Magneton Wattson's signature again; I thought Manectric fit him fine, but perhaps it's hinting to some other, new, Mega-capable NPC using Manectric?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Not only the 3DS, but also the designers. Even if the console could manage it, it still would take a fair bit of resources during game development. After all, somebody has to make sure the animations look right, that the light hits the 'mon just right or that all the joints bend in the right ways. It's a fair amount of man-hours involved, and battle animations would have a lot higher priority.

Besides, some Pokémon would be hard to show walking. Hariyama, Magmortar and Tyranitar spring to mind (seriously, look at Tyranitar's knees compared to its pelvic joints, and imagine it walking - something clearly isn't attached right on that Pokémon).
Being Groudon is suffering.

Quick thing on other characters using Megas: I wouldn't be surprise either way in regards to Wally and his Gardenvoir on Victory Road. They might do it since it is his favorite Pokémon and he is a major character, yet they might not since they used Mega Gardenvoir on Diantha.

This is such a weird thing to complain about.
I just want something different than Magic Bounce, that's all.

If Agatha got Gengar, Morty got Mismagius, and Fantina got Driblim, that would solve everything .-. Also if Clair took Kingdra and Juan made do with Luvdisc since nobody likes him anyways
Drifblim was Fantina's main in contests, while Mismagius was her main in DPPt (except in battleground rematch for... some reason). And Kingdra was and always has been Clair's main in the games, they just changed that to Dragonair in the Anime and Manga because... because.

Agatha and Morty share Gengar, but only because Gengar was the only Ghost-type in Gen I
Agatha is the Poison type E4'er.
But I think Vader the White is onto something here, Diantha had mega Gardevoir, Wally could go with Gallade and maybe it is also going to get a mega? I know it wasn't introduced with RSE but surely out of not repeating themselves, GF isn't going to give Wally a mega Gardevoir (if he gets a mega that is, but I assume he will, because wynaut?) Plus, if Wally was going to get mega Gardevoir then surely Diantha would get something which nobody else uses, like Mega Mawile or something.
Just my thoughts anyway.

But I think Vader the White is onto something here, Diantha had mega Gardevoir, Wally could go with Gallade and maybe it is also going to get a mega? I know it wasn't introduced with RSE but surely out of not repeating themselves, GF isn't going to give Wally a mega Gardevoir (if he gets a mega that is, but I assume he will, because wynaut?) Plus, if Wally was going to get mega Gardevoir then surely Diantha would get something which nobody else uses, like Mega Mawile or something.
Just my thoughts anyway.
While all of Agatha's team in Red, Blue, and Yellow (plus her intial FireRed and LeafGreen team) were Poison-types, she's officially a Ghost-type trainer. Though even in her FireRed and LeafGreen rematch team, only one thing wasn't Poison and two of them weren't Ghosts and two of them were Gengar. Which I never understood since there were six fully-evolved (at the time) Ghosts available in Gen III.
Part of me feels like Wally getting a Gallade is unlikely, but with Phoebe getting Dusknoir, it's theoretically possible.

Just my thoughts anyway.
You sir, have offended me. Lol jk but she's Ghost type man. I think Wally should man up and get a Gallade too, who also needs a mega imo n__n

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gardevoir makes more sense than Gallade for Wally's signature Pokemon, since this is a HOENN remake, so 3rd gen Pokemon being someone's signature makes more sense.

You can't Taunt it when it sets up SR or Trick Room.
Except, you know, megadiancie gets a sizable speed boost(70+ base speed seems likely) which makes trick room inferior.
And thinking about wally's team makes me wonder how many of them will be fully evolved for the victory road. Roserade and magnezone would compensate for the sheer lameness known as Delcatty. This thing NEEDS a mega. Pretty sure that it's the weakest stone evolved pokemon ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)