Pain Split*
Sleep Talk
Rest
Power Whip*
Sucker Punch*
Substitute
Trick*
Taunt

Moves with an * are used on gimmick sets or sets that stray from the intended use of Revenankh, such as revenge killing, breaking stall, Sub+Focus Punch combo, and stall.

~Sets~

Bulk Up

Revenankh @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
Adamant/Careful Nature
EV's: 252 Atk/252 HP/4 SDef OR 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SDef
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Shadow Sneak
Ice Punch/Moonlight/Earthquake/Rest

This set has two variants; Offensive, and Defensive Bulk Up. They both can set up rather easily on moderate to weak power special attacks, and deal heavy damage while recovering. The defensive one, while being able to set up on even more special attacks, lacks serious damage output. This set also has great survivability. The offensive one, while being able to deal great amounts of damage, lacks the aforementioned setup opportunities and survivability compared to the defensive one. Bulk Up is your setup move. Drain Punch + Shadow Sneak is Revenankh's unresisted DualSTAB combo, and 2HKO's most of the metagame. The last moveslot goes to either Ice Punch, Moonlight, or Earthquake. Ice Punch hits things Drain Punch/Shadow Sneak cant really touch, such as Landorus (T and I Formes), Tomohawk, Cyclohm, and others. Moonlight is for recovery against things Drain Punch can't touch, such as Gengar, the aforementioned Tomohawk, and other Ghost Types bulky enough to take a Shadow Sneak and kill back. Earthquake is a rather shaky option, as it's main use is only to kill Mollux, and has redundant coverage with Drain Punch. Rest is a generally underused move and for good reason. It has extremely high risk due to sleep turns, but decent reward due to instant 100% health. Should usually not be used over Moonlight without Sleep Talk, but the chance of having 1 or 0 turns of Sleep due to Shed Skin gives it a niche over Revenankh's other recovery options.

Some other notable sets that I won't go into extreme detail about are:
Assault Vest
Choice Band

~Teammates

Something to kill or trap Tomohawk. To sweep, Revenankh MUST need Tomohawk dead. Rocks and Spikes also help Revenankh sweep by weakening physical walls, turning some 3HKO's into 2HKO's or even OHKO's.

~That's it for now! This is my first discussion/analysis thread, so please, give me constructive criticism to help me make this thread and possibly upcoming ones the best that they can be! Also, feel free to discuss Revenankh here and sets that have done some work for your team, if they are or are not the sets I have posted above.~

Conclusion: Revenankh can be an absolute monster to unprepared and prepared teams alike with the right support. It should surely be considered to fit the role of a special tank, setup sweeper, or wallbreaker for almost, if not every team.

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
AWW YEE 3rd overall post in this forum

rest deserves a mention on the Bulk Up set as it can wear off faster thanks to Shed Skin

Weeeee! Welcome to CAP Meta everybody!

Quick notes: Agree with the above, Rest deserves a mention, even if Moonlight generally serves it better. Also, Power Whip should be mentioned in usable moves. It doesn't really provide crazy better coverage, but...it's there.

Revenankh is an interesting beast. It's got great coverage from its STABs, and with the Gen VI Steel nerf, Shadow Sneak is looking better than ever. Bulk Up, as mentioned, is its absolute best set, and it puts that Pseudo-status immunity to fantastic use. I've personally gotten way more mileage out of the bulky set - while it lacks the power from the starting line, it has a lot easier time getting boosts in, and in this post-power creep world, Rev needs boosts to do any kind of damage. As far as the fourth move goes, EQ is generally my preferred option. Ice punch SEEMS useful, but it just doesn't hit hard enough when you want it to (Cyclohm, Tomo if you're suicidal). EQ, meanwhile, does a bit more damage to stuff you want to hurt, and also keeps you from having to play guessing games with Aegislash, who can otherwise ruin your set-up with King's Shield.

Rev's main problem, frankly, is that it just doesn't hit hard enough, and that it's SUPER reliant on a 40 BP move. It literally NEEDS boosts to function. Unlike a lot of other priority users, it's not going to save you from a sweep - Auru and Mega-Gardevoir can both tank a raw Shadow Sneak and KO back. Not only that, but even with boosts, it's got some big problems. Tomo hard walls, sure, but it also gets eaten alive by any Fairy type you care to name. It's got great Special bulk, but SE moves still tear through it like tissue paper. And worst of all, it's flying weak - with defenses that, while not bad, are certainly not great. Talonflame and Mega-Pinsir both can crush it without trouble, and resist and quad resist its main STAB, respectively.

In my mind, Rev's problems come back to Shadow Sneak. The move isn't strong enough to really do damage, and Rev isn't fast enough to use anything else. Don't get me wrong, it's still a dangerous mon that can clean up when its counters are removed. But overall it's simply a victim of the dreaded power creep - it's hard to stay relevant 2 gens later.

Another major (yet uncommon) threat that renders Revenankh useless is Arghonaut. Because of Revenankh's reliance on Bulk Up, he is powerless against our favourite pirate Pokemon. However, this would not warrent an extra team mate, as the same partner that deals with Tomohawk can swiftly eliminate Arghonaut; Electric types.
Both of these major threats are crippled by common sights such as Krilowatt, Cyclohm, Thundurus, and Rotom. Throwing one of these into his party would greatly aid in his sweeping prowess. Another critical threat of Revenankh would be the ever frightening Gale Force Talonflame. However, this threat becomes a lot less scary after 4-5 Bulk Ups, as that is the point at which Brave Bird can no longer reliably 2HKO, while the slower Revenankh's Shadow Sneak is able to deliver the killing Shadow Sneak. Then again, that requires 4-5 Bulk Ups, something that would require a lot of luck to pull off.

One of the best parts about Revenankh is that he does not need Wish support to stay alive, for he is self sufficient with Drain Punch. This frees up the need for a Healer like Chansey while also enabling Revenankh to stay buffed and in the fight after fending off a more difficult foe. Another great part about him is that both of his STABs can reliably eliminate nearly any threat. His Fighting type pummels those pesky Dark and Normal types that give Ghost problems, while Ghost scares away Psychic types that try to take advantage of Revenankh's Fighting type. As mentioned earlier, the Flying type is Revenankh's main concern, and carrying along a good Electric type should be perfect for eliminating these threats and allowing Revenankh to sweep the rest of the team. While he has a high threshold of skill and luck to pull off, Revenankh is by no means dated or bad. He is by far one of the scariest threats in the metagame if he sets up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)