Battle Mechanics Research

Thought I would ask here incase someone knows, if a pokemon under the effect of Electrify uses a 3 turn attack like Thrash, Outrage etc does Electrify affect all 3 turns or just the initial one? Also the same question for multi-hit attacks like Bullet Seed or Rock Blast.

Ghost-types under the effect of Ingrain can still switch out. This came up as a question in ASB, didn't really know where else to post the findings.

I tested using Ingrain Phantump. Don't have a video or anything but it's not exactly hard to replicate.

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
So much ASB stuff...

If a Levitating Pokemon such as Flygon uses Dig, can it be hit by Earthquake while underground?

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, was just wondering if ye old 255 base stat caps are in place in XY. It would mean that Mawile should be running 232 Adamant in OU rather than 252 Adamant since this goes over the 669 base cap if it is still there.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hey, was just wondering if ye old 255 base stat caps are in place in XY. It would mean that Mawile should be running 232 Adamant in OU rather than 252 Adamant since this goes over the 669 base cap if it is still there.
Huge power boosts the stat number itself (Much like Swords Dance). As far as I am aware, this hasn't been a limit in the damage calcs for a long time.

Regarding the move Snatch and this excerpt from its webpage here:

Smogon's Snatch description for Gen 5 said:
If two Pokemon on opposing sides use Snatch, then the faster Pokemon will Snatch any boosts on the slower Pokemon's side, and then the slower Pokemon will Snatch those boosts from the faster Pokemon, so that only the slower Pokemon enjoys the effects of the original move.
This is no longer the case. The faster Pokemon will receive the benefit of the move it snatched, while the slower Snatch user has to snatch another move on that turn, if there are any available.

Proof.
F58W-WWWW-WWW8-94SZ

I've been doing in game testing and Scald now thaws the opponent.

The opponent did not coincidentally thaw because every time the opponent outsped (I was Using Relaxed Slowbro) and the message the wild (Using wild Pokemon) opposing ______ is frozen solid. After that I used Scald and after the damage was dealt the message " the opposing ______ thawed out" was displayed. It was the end of the turn so the opponent didn't thaw out by itself.

This worked 10/10 times sorry for a small number but freeze has a very miniscule chance in the first place.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
So, Sky Attack.

Bulbapedia says the following:

Sky Attack's in-game descriptions erroneously state that it has a high critical hit ratio.
However, The Cave of Dragonflies says the following:

(…)since at least the fifth generation Sky Attack really has been marked with the high critical hit ratio flag in the game data. Your information is out of date.
I couldn't find any other information source for Gen. 5, and since there's no reliable way to test in Gen. 5, I decided to experiment in Gen. 6.

I ran 2 trials. I used a Taillow with Focus Energy and no item for the first, and a Pidove with Super Luck and a Scope Lens for the second.

After both trials, both of which were run for 100 times each (that is, a total of 200 Sky Attack hits, 100 for each bird), Sky Attack got a Critical Hit every single time.

In conclusion, either I'm extremely lucky to win a 50% chance 200 times in a row, or Sky Attack was corrected (most likely ever since Gen. 5) and, at least now, it has a high Critical Hit ratio.

On the other hand, Sky Attack has two clones: Ice Burn and Freeze Shock. Neither move is described as having a high Critical Hit ratio, however all 3 moves have a 30% chance of having another effect (flinch, burn, and paralysis; respectively). I believe it would be interesting to test those 2 moves as well.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to these moves. If anyone wants to test this, the easiest way would be with a Smeargle with Focus Energy (and probably Recycle if you want to save time using a Power Herb). The moves needs to fail getting a Critical Hit only once with this conditions to disprove this theory.

On sim, a few of us were watching a game with a Mega Gard using sleep talk against a chansey. The damage changed from about 33% to 44% or somewhere in that range on psyshock once the Gardevoir went to sleep, suggesting the simulator was registering Sleep Talk as the normal attacking move (aka giving Psyshock a pixilate boost). I was wondering if this matched up with the in game use of a sleep talk gardevoir mega.

If Mega Kangaskhan uses Fury Cutter, does the base power double with each hit (parent hits with 40 BP, baby hits with 80 BP, and the next turn is 160 BP from both until it misses) or after each turn?

Forgive me if this revealed before elsewhere, but Diamond Storm can proc multiple times in one turn.

A successful hit on each target counts as a separate chance to buff Diancie's defense. Neat!

I....do not have proof of this in a battle video, as the battle was disconnected by someone who had to leave the internet for a time.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Slayer95 said:
Is Mold Breaker's effect of nullifying abilities of pokemon that have just been dragged in a new XY thing?
not sure if it's new, but yeah it does happen. I saw a video on youtube where wheezing was dragged out in front of haxorus and it was hurt by spikes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)