XY NU Ambience: An NU Rain RMT

Introduction

Hello, and welcome to my RMT, Ambience. Ambience is a rain offense team, consisting of 2 rain sweepers, 2 rain supporters, and 2 mons that work well outside of rain which handle threats to my rain sweepers and supporters. Rain offense is very unprepared for in the current meta, and also very powerful. This team's rain sweepers are both specially oriented, and that's for a good reason (well, most rain sweepers are specially oriented to begin with). Most teams in the tier prepare for water types with a physically defensive grass type, such as Vileplume or Tangela; which makes it easier for my specially oriented water types to break through. The rain also makes it so they can't spam synthesis/moonlight. In comparison to last gen, I actually think rain has gotten better. Rain has obtained great new sweepers for rain such as Omastar, and Rain got cool new weather support mons in Accelgor and Uxie. This team is a hazard stacking team. Hazard stacking is very important on rain teams so that your opponent doesn't constantly switch to stall out the rain turns. This team lacks defensive synergy, but defensive synergy doesn't really matter when your offense is overwhelming. Enough of the introduction, lets get into the actual team!

Teambuilding

- Easily the best lead for rain teams. Sets up spikes and rain really easily.
- I had a rain team in mind, and the best rain sweeper I knew of is Ludicolo.
- Omastar is the second rain abuser. It can setup and break through stall if it needs to, but most of the time it's just surfing. Omastar cleans up what Ludicolo leaves.
- Uxie is the backup rain setter. Uxie also sets up rocks and is a pivot.
- Spiritomb is the spinblocker. It also traps some pokes this team would have trouble with otherwise.
- Gurdurr sets up on pokes that give rain trouble.
- Seismitoad was used as an offensive stealth rocker, and Omastar was replaced by Carracosta for its ability to get past mantine.

In-Depth

Sticky Hold│Timid
IVs: 0 Atk│EVs: 252 Spe / 252 HP / 4 Def
Final Gambit / Encore / Rain Dance / Spikes

Accelgor is hands down the best lead for rain teams. It sets up spikes and can usually get at least one spike up and a rain dance. Hazards are very important for rain teams so that the opponent can't switch constatly to stall out rain turns. Final Gambit ensures that the spikes stay on the field, sacrificing itself to ensure the opponent can't defog/spin. Encore is really great for opposing rockers that think they can setup rocks freely, but that will just give Accelgor more opportunities to setup hazards. I choose damp rock over a sash because usually I see people playing around Accelgor as if it did have a sash, but this might change after posting this RMT. Bug buzz can scare out Shiftry so you don't get into a defog war, but you can just encore the Shiftry and they will switch out. Encore can allow a free opportunity to shell smash with Omastar if they're encored into the right move.

Other Options: Focus Sash, Bug Buzz, Hydration, U-Turn

Swift Swim│Modest
IVs: 0 Atk / 29 HP │EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Surf / Giga Drain / Ice Beam / Rain Dance

Ludicolo is the scariest mon under rain. Not much in the tier can stomache rain boosted-STAB-life orb boosted hydro pumps. The things that can stomache these hydro pumps are usually taken out by ice beam or giga drain, or they're just weakened to the point where Omastar can clean up. 29 HP IVs is a life orb number before you ask. I run rain dance over focus blast because I found that ~sometimes~ my rain would run out, and the only time I really used focus blast is against Ferroseed, which Gurdurr deals with. Just to show you how good Ludicolo is in rain, here are some calcs against the S and A tier pokemon in the Viability thread (I'm leaving out pokes that are obviously obliterated by Ludicolo, such as Pyroar and Rhydon):
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Shiftry: 328-387 (102.1 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Archeops: 309-364 (106.1 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 320-377 (102.5 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Slurpuff in Rain: 382-450 (124.8 - 147%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Liepard in Rain: 516-608 (191.8 - 226%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Spiritomb in Rain: 278-329 (91.4 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Accelgor in Rain: 452-534 (149.6 - 176.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dragalge: 182-216 (54.4 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mesprit in Rain: 286-339 (95 - 112.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Samurott: 361-429 (109 - 129.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Sawk in Rain: 378-446 (129.8 - 153.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Uxie in Rain: 179-212 (50.5 - 59.8%) -- 84.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Vileplume: 237-281 (66.9 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

-Most of the tier is OHKO'd after rocks and spikes.
-I love the power of Hydro Pump, but recently ive switched to surf for more reliability.

Other Options: Focus Blast, Hydro Pump

Swift Swim│Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Waterfall / Aqua Jet / Stone Edge / Shell Smash

Carracosta is the physical rain sweeper. As Brawlfest has suggested, I am running Carracosta over Omastar. Carracosta provides the much needed aqua jet so that way im not as easily revenged, even outside of rain. Carracosta also gives me a way to get past mantine more easily, since Omastar couldn't get past it unless I ran HP electric, and Ludicolo isn't touching Mantine anytime soon.​

Levitate│Careful
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
U-Turn / Rain Dance / Memento / Yawn

Uxie is a pivot, stealth rocker, and backup rain setter. Every good rain team needs a bulky pivot, and Uxie is that. With Yawn + U-turn, Uxie grabs tons of momentum for the team. Yawn forces the opponent to switch out and take more hazards damage, plus U-turn gives a free switch in to one of my rain sweepers. Rain dance and Damp Rock allow a long time for Rain to be up, making it so my sweepers aren't restricted to staying in. There shouldn't be any other options for this set, since it functions the way I like it and it does it very well.

-I've switched stealth rock to memento since i added Seismitoad onto the team.

Swift Swim│Modest
IVs: 0 Atk / 29 HPEVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Hydro Pump / Earth Power / Sludge Wave / Stealth Rock

Seismitoad is my stealth rocker. Seismitoad also checks other ludicolos with sludge wave, this way im not run over by opposing rain teams. Seismitoad's ground typing is very nice for scarfed rotoms, so they can't spam volt switch on my team. I also noticed that people switch their ferroseeds into Seismitoad, im not sure if theyre unaware how useful ferroseed is for the rest of my team, but seismitoad does a good job at wearing it down by doing about 40% with each earth power.

Other Options: Rain Dance

Guts│Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Drain Punch / Mach Punch / Knock Off / Bulk Up

Gurdurr is the poke that deals with everything that normally gives rain trouble, and it also absorbs thunder waves which are usually aimed at Omastar or Ludicolo. The pokes that give rain trouble are: Ferroseed, Liepard, Audino, Kanghaskan, and Lickilicky. All of these pokes are dealt with by Gurdurr. Also, if my rain sweepers are taken out by plume, then plume will be weak enough for Gurdurr to sweep. Ice punch is an option if you want Plume to be gone for sure, but usually knock off is the better choice.

Other Options: Ice Punch, Poison Jab

Conclusion

Thank you for reading my RMT! Feel free to use/steal/modify this team. This team has had me consistently in the 1500's, and I even won some NU Room Tournaments with this team. All feedback will be read and considered!

Swift Swim│Adamant
IVs: 29 HP │ EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Waterfall / Poison Jab / Explosion / Swords Dance

Qwilfish is really handy against more defensive teams. Aqua Jet and Swords dance are incompatible. Unfortunately, it leaves me really weak to sub vivillon outside of rain, as I practically get 6-0'd by it since qwilfish cant use aqua jet. However, Swords dance + explosion/poison jab are really great for wallbreaking. Qwilfish's poison typing is also really good for absorbing toxic spikes, a boon to many rain teams because it wears down the team immensely.

Vs. raseri
I'll try to get more replays, I always forget to hit share replay after a good battle :[

Swift Swim│Modest
IVs: 0 Atk│EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Surf / Ice Beam / Earth Power / Shell Smash
Omastar is my back up sweeper and cleaner. I choose a shell smash set over a specs set simply because I don't want to switch if I don't have to. Specs loses momentum against things like Seismitoad and other water absorbers. White herb negates the defense drops so priority like Shiftry's sucker punch will not be able to take Omastar out after a shell smash. Hidden Power Grass is an option for taking out Seismitoad, but I like the power of the earth. Omastar has surf which is more reliable for picking off weaker opponents. Omastar also synergizes pretty well defensively with Ludicolo, but defense is not what we're after.
Other Options: Hidden Power [Grass], Specs

Omastar >>> Carracosta

Since Seismitoad has stealth rock i gave Uxie memento so Carracosta can setup easier.
Stealth Rock >>> Memento

Infiltrator│Adamant
Pursuit / Sucker Punch / Memento / Will-O-Wisp
Spiritomb is very great for any hazard stacking team, and should always be considered for the role of the spinblocker. The reason I say this is because Spiritomb, spinblocks, pursuit traps Xatu and can deal with the 2 most common spinners. Spiritomb's 80 base power pursuit is enough to OHKO Cryogonal, and Spiritomb can Will-O-Wisp Sandslash. It also traps scarfed Rotoms which outspeed Omastar, and it traps Jynx which Ludicolo hates. I use Memento because it gives a free switch into a rain sweeper and it also gives Omastar the opportunity to set up a shell smash. Spiritomb is also the switch in to hariyama, who is annoying to rain teams because of fake out, and can burn him. Infiltrator allows Spiritomb to get past pokes that setup a sub against Uxie.
Other Options: Pain Split, Shadow Sneak

Spiritomb >>> Seismitoad

- Pretty Much destroyed when rain is up. Taunt lead can be annoying for Accelgor since ill only get one layer of spikes up before having to final gambit.
- Combusken-Pass isn't even threatening to this team. It would need to get 3 speed boosts to outspeed any of my pokes barring carracosta, and carracosta can just shell smash when it protects. the baton pass recipient is also going to have to stomache a rain boosted hydro pump.
- Keep Ludicolo around and you're golden :]
- seismitoad's sludge wave destroys this. if it gets to +6 from belly drum uxie can live one and setup rain, then be revenged by ludicolo or seis.
- Pretty annoying. use Gurdurr to kill it or where it down enough with Seismitoad so that ludicolo can get past it.
- prankster t-wave is annoying, but i have seismitoad. if it's a sun setter that's really annoying since it beats uxie. the best way to deal with it is gurdurr.
- ludicolo can always switch into this unless it has sludge wave.
- Sucker punch sucks. nothing seismitoad, ludicolo, or carracosta cant handle tho.
- Ludicolo and Seismitoad outspeed and KO in rain
- Pretty bulky mon that takes on ludicolo quite well. i usually have to go into uxie and force it out with yawn so it gets enough spikes damage for Seismitoad to kill it.
- Kind of a threat, it can clean depending on its coverage. Usually Ludicolo just destroys it though.
- setup fodder for carracosta
- ludicolo, seis, carracosta, and gurdurr all take it on.
- It can take advantage of the rain but ludicolo gets souls from this.
- usually hazards are on the field so sturdy isn't a problem. gets destroyed under rain, and outside of rain gurdurr wins 1v1.
- an annoying mofo cuz t-wave and yawn. Kills the rain turns cuz it's fat. Impossible to OHKO, i hate this thing. Sub CM isn't a big deal, but the pivot set is a pain.
- Ludicolo's ice beam does enough to where it's revengable by seismitoad. unfortunately i have to let ludicolo go down to be able to defeat this.
- THIS BITCH. Annoying af cuz of wish-protect to stall out rain turns, but i have gurdurr for this and carracosta can smash on it.
- Freeze dry fucks my whole team. it also spins away mah hazards. i have to have gurdurr kill it or uxie put it to sleep with yawn.
- seis and ludi dgaf
- ludicolo destroys it. it can take advantage of the rain but gorebyss cant touch ludicolo.
- can be annoying for gurdurr and carracosta, but ludi.
- ludi and seis
- eat this surf real quick
- it can be annoying if it subs on uxie, but gurdurr's knock off destroys it
- cant touch ludicolo and ludicolo gets hp back
- whats a qweef to a seis? really though toxic spikes suck
- seis ohkos in rain and don't give a fuck about no scarf volt switch
- can be annoying for carracosta if i miss stone edge but ludicolo and seis save the day.
-intimidate is annoying for carracosta but it gets ohkod in the rain by seis and ludi
- setup fodder for carracosta
- kind of scurry if it gets enough quivers up, but that aint happening in the rain. sash is annoying, so i usually lead with seismitoad and get stealth rock up immediately.

~~will add more in the future~~

Accelgor @ Damp Rock
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Final Gambit
- Spikes
- Rain Dance
- Encore

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Carracosta @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Shell Smash

Uxie @ Damp Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Memento
- Rain Dance
- Yawn

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

Last edited:
I mean, this looks pretty dang good man
I don't know much about weather in nu, but from what i've seen of ludi when it gets the first drop of rain on the field?
Its pretty much gg for the other team

Ahh rain, my favorite weather in the metagame. Your team does a decent job of performing in rain, but I feel that you don't abuse it enough for it to be effective. Frankly, 3 rain setters is utter overkill for only 2 rain sweepers that will be worn down rather easily, and thus I feel that you need to better structure your team to take advantage of your playstyle, or else your rain team will be at a disadvantage to more standard ones.

I'm honestly not sure if Uxie is the best pokemon to use as your stealth rocker for your team. Its a good pokemon, but you are honestly deadweight since you won't set up rain to much for your only two abusers, and outside of that you offer little offensive utility possibly letting setup. I might consider simply running Swift Swim Seismitoad with Stealth Rocks , which was a common bw set for rain teams to run. Simply put, it helped to maintain the sheer pressure of a rain team throughout a match, but also offered invaluable rain and SR support, making it a great gluemon for any rain meta.

The next change I would make is to use Shell Smash Carracosta over Omastar. You are more or less using this to punch holes for Ludicolo to sweep or the other way around. Shell Smash Carracosta's utility in and outside of rain is in the fact that unlike Omastar, it has a powerful priority move, meaning that in a metagame filled with Spiritombs and Gurdurrs, you are less likely to be revenge killed. Its ability to punch holes into special walls makes it easier for Ludicolo, sharing better offensive synergy.

Minor Changes:
Accelgor: I would reccomend using either U-Turn or Bug Buzz > Final Gambit, as you will often be low when using final gambit which will be rather weak and a waste of Accelgor's potential. While U-turn is still weak, it lets you bring in your sweepers more than once, and Bug Buzz is a strong and effective stab.

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave / Rain Dance
- Stealth Rock

Carracosta @ Lum Berry / Weakness Policy
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Shell Smash

i'm not really seeing the point of spinblocking because ideally with a rain team, you're trying to keep in a threatening swift swim pokemon in at all times and just threaten the opponent while the weather is up. that alone should make it bothersome for the opponent to remove hazards. for example, cryogonal is 2HKO'd and would have to choose between using rapid spin or going for the KO with freeze-dry. all the other rapid spin users are even more threatened by hydro pump in rain. you don't really need to waste time going to spiritomb and trying to trap or spinblock things

using seismitoad over spiritomb can work since using only two swift swim users doesn't seem like a lot. seismitoad helps you against volt switch users like rotom, and it helps you break through dragalge easier since it's one of the bigger checks to specially attacking water-types found on rain teams. i also think carracosta over omastar would be pretty nice for its ability to function slightly better with priority in case it's necessary, especially without rain. more importantly, however, it helps you break through mantine which is another big check to rain teams. if you stick with omastar, it may be worth trying hidden power electric for mantine over hidden power grass since seismitoad can already be taken advantage of by ludicolo and other members of your team. earth power doesn't offer anything important as a coverage move

also, uxie has memento as an option if necessary

OK, ive took your suggestions and added Carracosta and Seismitoad. I need final gambit so that way my spikes don't get defogged/rapid spinned. I also put memento on uxie instead of stealth rock. I also added a replay, ill get more when i remember to hit save replay >.<. I also added some pokemon to the threatlist, ill add more later. Ill also make this my 1 bump.

Hey Davon this is a cool team you have here, I really like the concept. Brawlfest and ium have already given some good rates however I might have another option that you can try out to potentially improve the team. I think Swords Dance Qwilfish could be an effetcive option over Carracosta as it out paces everything in rain before a Shell Smash whilst also having the ability to deal massive damage to Mantine and having priority in the form of Aqua Jet. You do lose out on the Rock typing though but I'm not sure how big of a deal that is and you also gain the ability to absorb Toxic Spikes which could be a huge issue otherwise, it's definitely worth a test in my opinion.

Qwilfish @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Poison Jab
- Aqua Jet / Explosion

Anyway once again cool team, hope I helped :]

Edit: complete forgot about Aqua Jet compatibility I still think Qwilfish could be a great option over Gurdurr though with Explosion to lure out physical walls for Carracosta, just a thought!!!

Last edited:
Thx for the suggestion, New Breed. Unfortunately, Qwilfish can not have swords dance and aqua jet because swords dance is a gen 3 move tutor move and aqua jet is a gen 4 move, thus incompatible. I really need aqua jet in order to get past sub vivillon outside of rain. Usually I don't find toxic spikes too much of a problem to the team, but I have found them to be a problem form time to time. Usually the opponent is reluctant to setup t spikes because of gurdurr, but if they do setup t spikes then the rest of my team is severely worn down. Ill give Qwilfish an honorable mention, I really like the idea of qwilfish to absorb t spikes but aqua jet is needed and if qwilfish doesn't use swords dance it is considerably weak. Thx for the suggestion tho :]

Davon I tryed your team, and it works really really well, I just made a little EVs changes that in my oppinion make it even better , I invest a little in HP on Seismitoad and Ludicolo as full speed isnot really needed, And also invest spdef Evs insteads of HP on Guldur as it can have a better use of Eviolite, hope I have helped but really really love this team

I'm gonna keep the ev spreads as is. More bulk is kind of contradictory with life orb, plus i'll atleast speed tie w/ other ludicolos/seismitoads. I'm not sure how much more beneficial it is to invest in SDef instead of HP on gurdurr, but I like being able to tank physical hits as well, for example, kangashkan who's fake out threatens ludicolo can be switched in by gurdurr much easier. Maybe if you give me an ev spread that is optimized and proven w/ calcs and such ill edit them in, but for now im going to keep them as is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)