The Best VGMs - List

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey folks.

I love to listen to my favorite games soundtracks when I’m at work, for some reason it keeps me focused on what I’m doing with a smile on my face. Making a playlist of all these amazing themes is no simple task though because they’re not always easy to find on the classic music platforms.
That’s why I came up with the idea to make a list where I would keep saved all the good games OST I’d find here and there. I hate the idea of forgetting a good music name, and I’m sure you do too. My work done, I figured out that it would not hurt for me to share it.
Obviously, it’s not here for your eyes only (or ears), I hope that you can participate and share your favorite game OSTs aswell to fill the list up.
Unless you bring something really too shitty, I’ll put it in the list, even if it doesn’t really fit my personal tastes, for completeness sake.

I chose to classify them by game console/license to emphasize their source. And if it’s with an asterisk, it means that it’s a song that I’d take with me in my nuclear bunker.

The word limitation has been reached, so I'm linking my Gdocs instead, click on the titles below :

PS : Yea I know that “Best video-games OST” threads have been made before, but the ones I found were not that great and I didn’t want to necro threads whose OP were something like “put your fav musix here, mine is pokemon’s opening!”. Hopefully we get a nice VGM thread going from my own list!. The only decent thread was one year old and was not a real “compilation”. A list sounds so much better, no pun intended.
PS2 : If I made mistakes in the list, feel free to PM/VM me instead of posting !

NO REMIX WILL BE ADDED TO THE OP, ONLY ORIGINAL SHIT

Last edited:

CrushinDefeat

Defeat me if you can... Survive if I let you!
I love this thread already, If I make a list I feel like Im going to leave out alot of songs out. However here are a few of my favorite Video Game Sound tracks. These are in no particular order so apologies.

F-Zero for the SNES "Big Blue" was one of my favorites, its just such an upbeat song and really makes you want to get into the game. Its an important race, the stakes are high, theres no better way than to get the adrenaline going with this theme, its fast paced, energetic, the rifts progress up and down, and you get hard hitting sounds, it just makes you excited, you actually want to be a racer, you feel something.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island "Music Box Theme" This little melody is just fantastic, its soft, it just makes you feel joy, its really whimsical in my opinion. Its just such a soft tune that it gives you comfort,( at least it did for me) I could listen to the song for hours. The fact that the song starts slowing down in the music box only for it to be cranked back up for the music to restart was absolutely genius. If further emphasis's the song as a theme from a toy box or a music box. The breaks are extremely enjoyable.

Wario: Master of Disguise! "Count Cannoli Battle" "Terrormisu Battle": This is a shout out to a really underrated Wario game, and its pretty over looked for the most part. Count Cannoli's Battle theme was absolutely stunning. Every which way you went this dude came after you wanting his trusty wand Mr. Goodstyle (iirc). Cannoli was relentless having machine after machine come at you. The music is what boss battle music should be its intense, fast paced, and gets the adrenaline going. You're playing as Wario, so to you, you're just seeing some smug guy come back for what now belongs to you, its just a great song to jam too, The Terrormisu remix is also fantastic, as the final boss all hope is left on you, you hear a vast amount of trumpets used in the final battle. It makes the final battle have more a fanfare feel to it. It also is pretty great song, I'd also like to mention "Head Honcho Carpacio's Theme" but thats only if you want to hear more from this game, its got great piano rifts, and just more up beat fast pace music. Lots of amazing boss battle themes in this game for sure.

Super Mario 3D World "Champions Road": This song without a doubt is so fitting for Champions Road. You've done it all, collected everything, accuired all the stamps and you are at the last level. This song is just an absolute joy, Its a great up beat theme full of trumpets and saxaphones in the middle sections. Theres no greater joy of accomplishment to hear this song on the last stage, you've done it, there is no more. That moment where you get through the clear pipes spelling "THANKYOU" while hearing this sound track just gives you that feeling of accomplishment and joy, and to further add to it, when approaching the flag you're greeted by Toad and others as they clap for you to reach the end just a very well done theme, that truly gives you a sense of honor, pride, and accomplishment.

WarioWare Touched! "Mikes Theme": This theme is one of those little tunes I enjoy'ed as a kid, it was just a party theme in a sense, the tune for the most part was catchy especially with Mike singing the chords, I like the fact that Mike was just a fun loving party robot, so it just felt like something awesome to jam out too.

Fire Emblems "Together We Ride" Smash Bros. Melee: This was one of my favorite songs in the entire Smash Bros. series, I've never played a Fire Emblem title, but this song is just absolutely amazing. The little drum snares I think at the beginning, the trumpets, its just blended so well. It makes you want to fight, and get into the spirit of fighting. The drum portions with the kick are good, the sections that are slowed down with the piano are a great contrast from the overall fast pace of the theme song, it gives you a chance to rest in a way, the song needs some rest, to then go back up to where it peaks followed up with the snares, and then repeating back to the main theme. Its just got that action feel to it as well.

These are a few songs that really stick out to me for different reasons, in regards to Reymedy's list. I love the Castlevania songs you've listed as well as the Punch Out theme those are really good songs as well.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Everytime I see a thread like this pop up, I can't help but post this.

I'll dig through your list later to see if there's anything I like.

Why isn't this in your collection? That was the best song in that entire game. (Not a bad thing at all I loved the OST in ToS) ._.

I do like most of your music however, albiet I'm not really picky.

You should listen to some of the Fire Emblem music though, particularly from Awakening and Radiant Dawn, I linked you to my personal favorites, and I hope you like them.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Please allow me to introduce you to the best fire emblem ost period.

I'll probably post some other stuff later.
Actually I got a playlist just for the Fire Emblem saga, but I prefered to build the list on my general playlist first. I should have knew that I'd bump into people as fan of the serie as I am myself.
To be honest though, I'm not too too familiar with the tracks from the SNES so if you bring the best of it I can only applause you.

All the songs so far are great, kudos ._.

A couple of VGMs I enjoy listening to in my spare time

Kingdom Hearts 1 - Simple and Clean
Kingdom Hearts 2 - Sanctuary
RSE - Mt. Pyre theme

Nearly all Metroid Prime music..it can be pretty relaxing

Last edited:

CrushinDefeat

Defeat me if you can... Survive if I let you!
I knew I was leaving out a series, Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 for the PlayStation 2 "Dearly Beloved": This one is just, I can't I don't even know where to begin with this one. The harp, the violins, and the keys of the piano, its just such an amazing song, and its just the title screen! Its one of the most relaxing openings to a series I've ever heard. The melody is just so perfect and the cover of Sora in the water, its all just so peaceful. Its got a charm to it. I remember sometimes waiting around the title screen just because of this song. I don't even think that can be said for most games now a days. "Organization 13's Theme" is also a very good theme its just such a daunting heavy theme, it has a bit of despair to it, they are the enemies of the series, when ever the theme plays things slow down, and you really start thinking alot more about things, I think this reflects well with how methodical and mysterious Organization 13 was, the theme was always sporadic as every encounter was with each member, usually slowing down progression to stop and question what they're doing as the story progressed. There are alot more songs in KH 1 & 2 I gotta search for.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Okay, time to fill the PS3 list up with some good shit.

Ni No Kuni
Main Theme

Tales of Xillia
Believe in Oneself (this is the way the CD that comes with the Collector's Edition names it)
Battle for a Future to Believe In

Tales of Graces f
Dance of Ruling Water
Mad Dance

Final Fantasy 13
Saber's Edge
Blinded by the Light
Lightning's Theme
Desperate Struggle
Will to Fight

And some Gamecube stuff.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Main Menu
Learning a New Skill
Battle Theme
Ruins of the Thousand Year Door
Boggly Woods
Event Battle

And some PS2 stuff.

Sly 2: Band of Thieves
Main Theme
Paris Rooftops

Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves
Main Title & Credits

Tales of the Abyss
mirrors
meaning of birth
The edge of a decision

Never Surrender

time to raise the cross
finish the promise

Persona 3 FES
Mass Destruction P3fes version

Wild Arms 5
Terrible Monster Attacking Crew!
A Muzzle Dancing in Hatred

This is by no means everything, but I felt like some of these titles deserved some love and representation (as well as the fact that all of these songs are great). I'll be adding more later (probably handheld stuff).

The World Ends With You had an amazing soundtrack as well. Off the top of my head I remember really enjoying Calling and Twister
The World Ends with You (DS)

Calling (has vocals)
Emptiness and (has vocals)
Long Dream (has vocals)
Twister (has vocals)

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (DS)

Morphogenetic Sorrow

Alice: Madness Returns (PC, others)

Dollhouses
Main Theme
Wasteland (kind of scrapey/noise-y, really good at conveying the feeling ingame tho)

Radiant Historia (DS)

Shadows Dance in the Darkness
To the Battlefield
Where the Wind and Feathers Return

Analogue: A Hate Story (PC)

Mute (Mischief)

Hate Plus (PC)

Dream
It's Not Ero! (has vocals, lyrics vaguely spoil the plot of Analogue and Hate Plus, song becomes 10x better once you play the games imo)
Stage

To the Moon (PC)

Anya by the Stars
Everything's Alright (has vocals, don't listen to this if you haven't played To the Moon and intend to, you'll wreck the best emotional moment)
Moongazer
Take Me Anywhere

more later

Last edited:
Long Dream was the one I was forgetting, thank you jumpluff.

Another few that come to mind for me:

MGS3 - Snake Eater
MGS3 - Encounter theme

Mario & Luigi Dream Team - Try, Try Again
Mario & Luigi Dream Team - Victory in the Dream World

Last edited:
@ OP, just FYI the linked Champion music for RBY is linked to the Gym Leader one. Which is just as epic actually, I probably could listen to it for 10 hours straight (the video length).

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm going to pass some reason instead of just dumping, because otherwise I'll just keep dumping a whole lot here.

I know we all have such a TWEWY crowd here but sometimes I wonder if some players remember past the first week when they list their favourite tracks, I know week 1 is 90% female tracks except for events and all but come on male vocalists need some love.

The World Ends With You
Three Minutes Clapping
Detonation
Transformation
Run Away *(the rare good thing to come out of the iphone port)

Seriously contender for greatest VGM of all time.

Hideki Naganuma also is a similar vein for j-pop and techno, uses a lot of samples. Some of his songs can be hit or miss though. He is mostly known for Jet Set Radio, but I'm a big fan of...

Sonic Rush
Wrapped in Black
Back 2 Back
Ethno Circus Digital Remakin
What U Need
Raisin' Me Up

Then the guy can go and bring samples from those last two songs into..

Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz
Smooth Sherbert

Not to mention the new DAVID WISE OST, and people were complaining about a new Donkey Kong game.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Windmill Hills
Mountain Mania
Grassland Groove
Canopy Chaos

(if this is too much personal favs don't mind me but I felt I'd add some to the pile).

Reymedy

ne craint personne
I'm fine with favs :D, and nice Sonic musics
All the tracks you brought jumpluff are awesome, and some really aroused my curiosity about the games themselves
and I can't believe I forgot 999 damn
And the Castle themes BandannaWaddleDoo *-*
Good classic shit aswell Relados , I have to add them before anyone notice that they were missing. The Star Fox themes are one of my favorites.

OH GOD THE SHERBET THEME FROM MARIO KART DOUBLE DASH . I'm so so happy you brought this one, that's my favorite Mario Kart theme actually, it's just pure happiness when I listen to this track. Can't stop whilstling.
Terraquaza : I just added the original themes, to not make duplicates, the Assault theme is amazing.
The Parappa song :toast:

Wild Arms is the shiite Acklow , I'll probably dig deeper into the OST to collect all the goodies

PS: Fixed Shinryu , I got confused since in French Gym Leaders are called "Champions" etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)