To those living in California..

I've lived in Georgia and Florida, and attempt to move out to SoCal. I know that it is quite expensive and for someone like myself who is the first one in my family to graduate highschool I was wondering if you could maybe answer a few questions that I might have. Alright to start this off I'd like to give a brief description of myself. I suffer from horrid social anxiety. I'm eighteen and I love technology. That's where I'm aiming for my career to be focused on. I don't know much about California, other than the fact that it's similar to Florida, except the demographic is mostly younger rather than old people, and that it isn't so hot there.

I'm mainly concerned on the price difference because I know that the projected tax is suppose to raise within the next year or so like most states. Which California already has quite a high tax rate at around 13% or something of that sorts. While I'm currently used to the 30% federal tax and the sales tax being somewhat around 7 cents on the dollar. So if you guys could just give me a brief estimate of what it'd cost one person to live out on their own around Anaheim. It'd be highly appreciated.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Sales tax is 8.25-8.5 in socal, gas is 4-4.50/gallon maybe more. Also you have to have a car to get anywhere in socal. How anxious are you? Can you live with other people? Rent will be anywhere from 4-$600/month for a (shared?) room in a house/apartment to 1200-1500/month for a studio of your own. If you have more specific questions, I'll try to help.

I have pretty bad social anxiety around those that I don't know but if it's someone that I know it's really nonexistent. I know that places are ridiculous price wise. But I'm planning to move in with my girlfriend, so I know the prices will be somewhat split. I'm just mainly concerned about the price of living in general. Food, bills, etc. I'm going to be leaving Southern Florida. Which is expensive to most that are used to the northern states. Here it's not rent that will kill you, it's the fucking food. Food prices are outrageous here. So that's what I'm wondering about SoCal. From what my girlfriend recently told me she spent six dollars on a bottle of water.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I don't have any real basis to compare it from but I've never found food in southern california overly expensive. nice-ish restaurants have entrees around 10-15 dollars, there are a lot of little local cultural restaurants that are super cheap, and there are plenty of grocery stores that sell things at reasonable prices. Nothing crazy like 6$ water bottles. I think there's certainly some culture of super-niche superior food and drink that if you buy into can end up costing you tons of money, but it certainly doesn't encompass all of the options available. There are certain grocery stores (whole foods) that are quite expensive, but there are tons of options, many of which seem pretty reasonable to me (but again, no point of comparison).

I don't have any real basis to compare it from but I've never found food in southern california overly expensive. nice-ish restaurants have entrees around 10-15 dollars, there are a lot of little local cultural restaurants that are super cheap, and there are plenty of grocery stores that sell things at reasonable prices. Nothing crazy like 6$ water bottles. I think there's certainly some culture of super-niche superior food and drink that if you buy into can end up costing you tons of money, but it certainly doesn't encompass all of the options available. There are certain grocery stores (whole foods) that are quite expensive, but there are tons of options, many of which seem pretty reasonable to me (but again, no point of comparison).
Here I mainly shop at either whole foods or walmart. So there I'd probably be destroyed food wise xD. But I'm so very thankful for your response. I know that some of the places my girlfriend goes to with her family has a bill that'd almost make my wallet quiver in fear. I'm a more budget managed guy. So I like having the knowledge of what lies ahead and so far the two of you are helping me cope with it. Because my main fear is being stranded out there due to the price gap. Thank you so much for your response.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I have pretty bad social anxiety around those that I don't know but if it's someone that I know it's really nonexistent. I know that places are ridiculous price wise. But I'm planning to move in with my girlfriend, so I know the prices will be somewhat split. I'm just mainly concerned about the price of living in general. Food, bills, etc. I'm going to be leaving Southern Florida. Which is expensive to most that are used to the northern states. Here it's not rent that will kill you, it's the fucking food. Food prices are outrageous here. So that's what I'm wondering about SoCal. From what my girlfriend recently told me she spent six dollars on a bottle of water.
Cool, living with your gf will really help out with the rent, so assuming yall are solid, youll be set there. comparing food prices obviously depend on what youre used to buying, but mostly food costs will likely be less than from wherever you're from merely because it's grown nearby, and even cheaper produce comes in from mexico. Can't really say how much less, but generally speaking produce will probably be cheaper than South Florida (though agriculture is big in florida, as well :/). Internet in America is ridiculously expensive everywhere, We pay $35/month (split 3 ways) for a comcast connection that is reliable enough, other utilities like $100/month (split between 3 people).

I don't shop at whole foods, it's more expensive than other chains like Vons/Safeway/Pavillions, all of which have equivalent quality produce, though not some of the fancier stuff that they have at whole foods. In addition, higher quality produce can be found at lower prices at farmer's markets (local produce) and flea markets/swap-meets (really cheap produce brought in from mexico, think like 10 avocados for $1). Trader Joes may also be looking into, depending on how you are at cooking.

Cool, living with your gf will really help out with the rent, so assuming yall are solid, youll be set there. comparing food prices obviously depend on what youre used to buying, but mostly food costs will likely be less than from wherever you're from merely because it's grown nearby, and even cheaper produce comes in from mexico. Can't really say how much less, but generally speaking produce will probably be cheaper than South Florida (though agriculture is big in florida, as well :/). Internet in America is ridiculously expensive everywhere, We pay $35/month (split 3 ways) for a comcast connection that is reliable enough, other utilities like $100/month (split between 3 people).

I don't shop at whole foods, it's more expensive than other chains like Vons/Safeway/Pavillions, all of which have equivalent quality produce, though not some of the fancier stuff that they have at whole foods. In addition, higher quality produce can be found at lower prices at farmer's markets (local produce) and flea markets/swap-meets (really cheap produce brought in from mexico, think like 10 avocados for $1). Trader Joes may also be looking into, depending on how you are at cooking.
I know of trader joe's and I have some experience in the kitchen but other than that I like to eat a whole lot of fruit and what not. So cooking isn't an extreme thing for myself. Thanks so much for the responses. It's added a lot to my list of what to look into, and also speaking to people from the state eases my mind on the matter of legit moving from coast to coast.

Thanks so much, if you have anything else to add it'll be highly appreciated.

Be prepared to wait in traffic. SoCal has absolutely terrible traffic (and gas prices!) so be prepared. Also the air quality down there is pretty bad.

On food, Trader Joes is really good for its price and has pretty fresh produce. Safeway is pretty good quality too.

I currently live in South Florida. You've never experienced poor air quality until you've visited south Florida. xD

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Why do you want to move to California, exactly?

(I live in Northern California, specifically Silicon Valley.)

I wrote that when I was half asleep. Probably just skimmed it. But the main reasons consist of the following:

- Technology capital of the world so to speak.
- My girlfriend lives in Califorina.
- I have an abundance of friends living in SoCal.
- With my career field it'd be a nice living environment, and somewhere that's not as bad as where I currently live.
- Something different, plus I hear Pasadena CA has a nice school if I want to go back to school.

Northern california in the bay area is definitely technology capital if you're looking for that (sf/silicon valley). Southern california not so much. And yeah, the nice school in Pasadena is cal tech so good luck there.

Whenever I graduated from high school, I moved to the bay area from Arkansas, and I don't regret it at all. I know a lot of people say it's expensive, but you sort of get used to it honestly.

If it isn't your girlfriend that has you completely set on socal, I would look into living in the bay. Totally agreeing with everyone when I say norcal is definitely more of a tech capital than socal, and it also has a lot more public transport that can save in both time and money. The minimum wage in SF in itself makes it pretty easy to make rent if you're living somewhere out in Oakland or Berkeley or anywhere out in the east bay.

Also Pasadena probaby has nothing compared to some of the schools out here, sorry not sorry.

I'm pretty biased tho. I've only been out to LA twice and I kinda hate it.

Whenever I graduated from high school, I moved to the bay area from Arkansas, and I don't regret it at all. I know a lot of people say it's expensive, but you sort of get used to it honestly.

If it isn't your girlfriend that has you completely set on socal, I would look into living in the bay. Totally agreeing with everyone when I say norcal is definitely more of a tech capital than socal, and it also has a lot more public transport that can save in both time and money. The minimum wage in SF in itself makes it pretty easy to make rent if you're living somewhere out in Oakland or Berkeley or anywhere out in the east bay.

Also Pasadena probaby has nothing compared to some of the schools out here, sorry not sorry.

I'm pretty biased tho. I've only been out to LA twice and I kinda hate it.
Yeah I know, I've been doing some research. I like CA just in general. I know that the price really won't matter compared to the fact that it's where I want to move. Thanks for the post man.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Pasadena City College is a top 3 Community College in Los Angeles but I'd hesitate to call it prestigious. Getting into CalTech would be ambitious but good luck to you if that's what you want to try for.

If you have any specific questions about Pasadena, PM me.

I'm also not sure why you would pick SoCal over NorCal.
Have lived in both, and NorCal is better just sayin'
I prefer the weather in SoCal although I live in Norcal. If I were to pick any one place to live, it would be Costa Mesa, CA. Clean, upper-middle class town by the beach. Mild weather. NorCal just is awful in terms of fun. Not a whole lot to do besides hike.

I prefer the weather in SoCal although I live in Norcal. If I were to pick any one place to live, it would be Costa Mesa, CA. Clean, upper-middle class town by the beach. Mild weather. NorCal just is awful in terms of fun. Not a whole lot to do besides hike.
That's my thing. I know for a fact that there is so much to do in SoCal. While I hear in NorCal it's dead. There isn't much to do. But in terms of things to do 9/10 i'm either working or playing games so I could really careless. I'm just looking at what would be a better area to plant myself, and actually lay down some roots.

Do not let others dictate where you live. I understand you want opinions, but if you are set on living in SoCal then it is the place for you. The only two people that answered your question here were myzozoa and Kitten Milk.

Take their advice, ignore the rest. You do not need to go to CalTech to be successful nor do you need to live in the Bay area. Do what YOU want, not what others think is better.

Do not let others dictate where you live. I understand you want opinions, but if you are set on living in SoCal then it is the place for you. The only two people that answered your question here were myzozoa and Kitten Milk.

Take their advice, ignore the rest. You do not need to go to CalTech to be successful nor do you need to live in the Bay area. Do what YOU want, not what others think is better.
You're awesome, and just a fact I'm going to do what makes me happy no matter who's opinion is given. I'm just wanting some inside on how the state is in general.

Everyone is just trying to be helpful. If he loves SoCal and wants to live here, that's fine, although in general NorCal may give him better opportunities within his chosen field.

I don't know if you've stated your age already? You said you graduated high school and are looking to attend a college/cal tech. I get the feeling that you're pretty young and I don't want you to make a quick and rash decision that will end up screwing you over. Moving across the country is a pretty big move for anyone no matter their age. All too often I meet transplants who've wanted to come here and just couldn't hack it.

I think you should save up some money and finish your education in Florida. It would probably be cheaper. Or you could transfer over to a school here but that would be pretty expensive.

You said you have a gf in SoCal. Hit her up and ask her if you can stay with her for a week and visit. Survey the scene and see the state with your own two eyes. Imo you should visit before making this move.

Everyone is just trying to be helpful. If he loves SoCal and wants to live here, that's fine, although in general NorCal may give him better opportunities within his chosen field.

I don't know if you've stated your age already? You said you graduated high school and are looking to attend a college/cal tech. I get the feeling that you're pretty young and I don't want you to make a quick and rash decision that will end up screwing you over. Moving across the country is a pretty big move for anyone no matter their age. All too often I meet transplants who've wanted to come here and just couldn't hack it.

I think you should save up some money and finish your education in Florida. It would probably be cheaper. Or you could transfer over to a school here but that would be pretty expensive.

You said you have a gf in SoCal. Hit her up and ask her if you can stay with her for a week and visit. Survey the scene and see the state with your own two eyes. Imo you should visit before making this move.
The girlfriend and I kinda split here recently, the main reason that I was so biased to SoCal was the activities that'd accommodate spending off time with her. But all that really did was open my eyes to see what all of California has to offer, and for my age I'm eighteen about to be nineteen in September. I know that uprooting is difficult for everyone if not properly planned out and executed. I have been doing some research and realize that for my field there is an abundance of opportunities in both areas. But there is more money in NorCal when it comes to technology. So more than likely I'll end up in NorCal, because the money is nice and if the right opportunity is given to you with the right price tag to do what you love I doubt most people would decline.

I've looked at both schools, when it comes to it and like you said on the not of price I'd rather stick around here with family until out of school. Because the price there is ridiculous compared to here.

Thanks man for the feedback, and of course it's highly appreciated.

To all that posted,
Much love.

SuzPeX

Reactions: KM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)