VGC A Twist in the Sand! ( vgc oriented team)

Hey everyone! For awhile now ive been wanting to make a team with one of my favorite pokemon, Tyranitar in it. Ive been working with this team for awhile now and feel it could use improvement, and figured this is just the place to get some helpful advice from my peers. Thanks for any advice and rates! And now the team:

@ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Level: 50
Evs: 132 Def / 180 Spd / 180 HP / 4 SDef / 12 Atk
Jolly Nature
-Protect
-Rock Slide
-Crunch
-Dragon Dance

This Tyranitar usually seems to be the strongest member of the team. Hits hard and can take quite a few punches. Wasen't really sure about his current EV spread and nature. It seems alright, but if there better sets for it please let me know! Protect for the obvious. Rock slide over stone edge, stone has the worst luck with me and rock slide allows for that double hit and flinch chance. Crunch to help take out those trick room users , and dragon dance to help set up before a sweep when amoongus in on the floor.

@ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
Evs: 252 Attk/252 Speed/ 4 Def
Jolly Nature
-Dragon Claw
-Protect
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide

Garchomp is mainly here to help counter Mega Khangaskhan and the other fake out users out there. If i can sense it coming then ill switch and his ability and rocky helmet will put the hurtin on them. Jolly nature and EV spread to help outspeed most of his competition even if they get speed boosted a bit. Dragon claw a strong stab with no possibility of missing. Earthquake for that strong STAB to help eliminate such threats as opposing aegislash and such. And rock slide again for same reason.

@ Coba Berry
Ability: Regenerator
Calm Nature
Evs: 236 HP / 36 Def / 236 SDef
-Spore
-Protect
-Rage Powder
-Giga Drain

This Ammongus spread is to help make it more specially tanky with the coba berry being there to help put a stop to some of the brave birds coming from the omniporesent Talonflames around. If the ability spore doesnt put some sort of status effect on the enemy first, i've put spore there to help put them to sleep and take them out of the game for awhile. Protect there of course to help stall a turn. Now Amoongus will usually be paired with some other hard hitter that will no doubt get targeted and so Rage Poweder is there is allow them to unleash their powerful attacks without any fear of being hit. And Giga drain is there to help a bit with some recovery and to hit rotom-W's hard. Set could use some tweaking, let me know of any ideas. Thanks!

@ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
Evs: 172 HP / 92 Def / 156 Sp.Atk / 20 Sp.Def / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
-Hydro Pump
-Will-o-Wisp
-Thunderbolt
-Protect

To help bring some sort of extra counter to rain teams as well as having a pokemon to be able to switch in for an earthquake ive decided to bring in Rotom-W. Ive given him a tanky sort of set to help him survive and such moves as solarbeam from mega charizard-Y as well as others, but to mainly dish out some hurt. Hydro pump of course that strong STAB move he's given, Will o wisp to hinder those physical attackers and honestly thunderbolt because i dont really much like think it was called "volt switch" too much.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy

Ability: Stance Change
Evs: 252 Sp Attack/252 HP/ 4 Def
Quiet Nature
-Shadow Ball
-Flash Cannon
-Kings Shield
-Shadow Sneak

Not that much to say, its a pretty standard Aegislash here. Helpful to switch in to when tyranitars threatened by a fighting move and provides reliable coverage moves. And slower speed to also help out if im stuck in an enemys trick room.

Talonflame Choice Band
Ability: Gale Winds
Evs: 252 attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 hp
Adament Nature

-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Tailwind
-U-turn

And last but not least, talonflames here to help counter grass types that might want to hinder my rotom or tyranitar or at least make themselves afraid to show up to the party :D With Gale winds and brave bird/ flare blitz you has decent coverage to help take out the oposition. Sort of standardish set.

And thats the team ive been working with for awhile now. While i admit it has its faults and could use improvement, ill leave that area to you guys. Thank you in advance for any and all rates regarding my team. Have a good day!

Last edited:
Life orb on talon flame is not something it wants, you get recoil damage from brave bird and flare blitz already and if you hit it into a rocky helmet ferrothorn you will almost take out your own pokemon as you take a third of the damage you deal in recoil, 10% of your max hp from LO, 1/8th from iron barbs, 1/6th from helmet, not to mention the possible damage from sandstorm. Choice band is 100% better as you won't kamikaze it for one turn. If you must run LO at least give it roost over taunt that way if it doesn't faint turn 1 you could delay the inevitable

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
I'm a bit iffy on Tailwind being a move on a Choiced Talonflame since it means that you have to switch if you want to use that support move for your team. I'd recommend either changing Tailwind for another attacking move or again giving it a different item. How important is Tailwind to the team?

Yeah i am kind of too, just not too sure what other attack to put on there. Any suggestions besides tailwind?

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
Looking up Talonflame's movepool just made me remember how barren it is. My goodness. The only other attack it really has is Steel Wing, which only really nets fairies, although the most common fairy is Mawile.

I would suppose that in the end that moveslot doesn't matter at all, haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)