VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Don't put it in a dream ball then?
iirc the only way to get a HA Kangaskhan is through the Dream World in BW(2) since it's unavailable in the Friend Safari, and since HAs can only be passed down by mothers (and male Kangaskhan don't exist anyway) it wouldn't be possible to breed it into a different ball. Inner Focus = Dream Ball, no way around it unfortunately :(

Pyritie said:
Don't put it in a dream ball then?
The only way to have a hidden ability Kangaskhan is if it was caught using a dream ball from the Entree Forest/Dream World. From there you'd have to transfer it to X/Y. Thus when breeding, it will always pass down that ball so you're stuck with it.

So it's a pain to get a hold of them in the first place because that's the only method of finding them, but I could always breed more if someone wanted to trade for it. It took me forever to find someone on Showdown chat to have one myself.

Edit: guy above beat me to it.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
iirc the only way to get a HA Kangaskhan is through the Dream World in BW(2) since it's unavailable in the Friend Safari, and since HAs can only be passed down by mothers (and male Kangaskhan don't exist anyway) it wouldn't be possible to breed it into a different ball. Inner Focus = Dream Ball, no way around it unfortunately :(
The only way to have a hidden ability Kangaskhan is if it was caught using a dream ball from the Entree Forest/Dream World. From there you'd have to transfer it to X/Y. Thus when breeding, it will always pass down that ball so you're stuck with it.
HAs from mothers passed down in gen 5, right? You could just rebreed it once there, then transfer over the inner focus pokeball kanga and breed from there.

Pyritie said:
HAs from mothers passed down in gen 5, right? You could just rebreed it once there, then transfer over the inner focus pokeball kanga and breed from there.
That actually could be a loophole, I didn't consider that. If you bred the Kanga back in gen V then yes it'd come out with a poke ball, then transfer that one and breed it. Good idea. Though for me I just traded for mine in Y and bred it as I didn't have a gen V cartridge. So it's a slight disadvantage if you know to look for it, but at least there's a solution if you can manage it. Though that'd also require you to have one already on your gen V game as you can't enter the dream world anymore, so it's even a bigger pain lol.

Can someone show me a good move set etc for a quiet, anylitic 31/0/31/31/31/0 iv magnemite? It took me forever to get one and now that I do (have multiples because yay cloning) I want to get some awesome use out of them.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Which is the better mega for Vgc: Mega Kangaskhan or Mega Mawile?
Mega Kangaskhan is far more metagame defining. If one doesn't prepare for it, its very easy to lose very quickly. However, that doesn't mean Mawile is bad, and actually one of the great traits of Mawile is its positive match up against Kangaskhan.

Can someone show me a good move set etc for a quiet, anylitic 31/0/31/31/31/0 iv magnemite? It took me forever to get one and now that I do (have multiples because yay cloning) I want to get some awesome use out of them.
Magnezone isn't too great in VGC. It's pretty slow, weak to common attacking types like Ground and Fire, and doesn't offer much that other Electric types can't do. However, if you're set on using it, I'd look at a bulky attacker set. Assault vest might put in some work, it could bulk you up against Rain teams, and helps tank Shadow Balls from Aegislash. Protect might be too necessary to pass up on something with its weaknesses though, so resist/sitrus berry with an EV spread to survive attacks its likely to face (can't really think of anything too important atm, but I'm sure there is) might be best. Worst comes to worse, Max HP Max Sp Atk would be a good place to start, and you can alter when you find moves you want to live.

Yiggaman

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Am I crazy for using an unburden Liepard with taunt for opposing quick guard meowstic? Or is it a little too gimmicky. meowstic is becoming like a problem for me and I'm been using aegislash for it but I'm thinking that Liepard might be a good way to shut it down. Do meowstic users quick guard usually when they see Liepard?

Stupid question from a noob at the vgc. If stone edge/rock slide and focus blast are such unreliable moves why don't people use wide/zoom lenses more often?

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Am I crazy for using an unburden Liepard with taunt for opposing quick guard meowstic? Or is it a little too gimmicky. meowstic is becoming like a problem for me and I'm been using aegislash for it but I'm thinking that Liepard might be a good way to shut it down. Do meowstic users quick guard usually when they see Liepard?
I can't speak for traditional moves in a Meowstic/Liepard match up, but if you aren't using Prankster, why don't you use a different Taunter? Without Prankster, Liepard won't be doing a lot of good for your team, so if you want a non-priority Taunter to shut down Meowstic, I'd go with something a little more reliable.
Stupid question from a noob at the vgc. If stone edge/rock slide and focus blast are such unreliable moves why don't people use wide/zoom lenses more often?
In short, because items are so valuable. For example, Tyranitar that uses a lens is missing out on the utility of lum berry, or the power or weakness policy or life orb. There are so many good items, and while it'd be great to hit a little more often, its often hard to justify using them because you miss out on a lot.

Hey guys what do you recommend for new Pokemon players trying to gather up competitive pokes for the VGC format?
So far it's been pretty overwhelming to try to get pokes because alot of trade threads seem to want exotic pokes for most of their Pokemon but not only that you can't even trade in a trade thread unless you have a thread yourself, making acquiring pokes for a new player even a more daunting task.

Yiggaman

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Hey guys what do you recommend for new Pokemon players trying to gather up competitive pokes for the VGC format?
So far it's been pretty overwhelming to try to get pokes because alot of trade threads seem to want exotic pokes for most of their Pokemon but not only that you can't even trade in a trade thread unless you have a thread yourself, making acquiring pokes for a new player even a more daunting task.
Well my guy your going to have to hustle up some rare pokemon by breeding and free giveaways. I had to put in hours on hours to get the things I have but there isn't an easy way to do it except for hacking but you can't even do that anymore.

Well my guy your going to have to hustle up some rare pokemon by breeding and free giveaways. I had to put in hours on hours to get the things I have but there isn't an easy way to do it except for hacking but you can't even do that anymore.
I've been breeding pokes but it seems certain pokes you just won't be able to under normal means, and hacking well I just don't like hacked pokes in general and going to random sites and trade threads can be potentially unsafe so I'd rather avoid that.
I guess you could just try to breed as many competitively viable pokes as you can and use those for trade.

Yiggaman

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I've been breeding pokes but it seems certain pokes you just won't be able to under normal means, and hacking well I just don't like hacked pokes in general and going to random sites and trade threads can be potentially unsafe so I'd rather avoid that.
I guess you could just try to breed as many competitively viable pokes as you can and use those for trade.
Yea try breeding some shinies for the pseudo legends

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The way you worded it states that their power is weakened by 75%. I knew what you meant but someone completely new to the game/format might not. They're reduced to .75, not weakened by .75.

If only one target is available, spread moves go back to dealing 100% damage. (e.g. The opponent only has one mon on the field and you use Heat Wave.) This does not include invulnerable mons in the middle of Sky Drop, Dig, etc.

Editrino: To avoid dragging out a pointless argument. VVV

Weakened by .75 (what was said) = the amount by which damage goes down is 75% (i.e. final damage is 25%). = Incorrect
Weakened to .75 (what he meant) = the amount of damage goes down to 75% of normal = Correct

Last edited:
The way you worded it states that their power is weakened by 75%. I knew what you meant but someone completely new to the game/format might not. They're reduced to .75, not weakened by .75.

If only one target is available, spread moves go back to dealing 100% damage. (e.g. The opponent only has one mon on the field and you use Heat Wave.) This does not include invulnerable mons in the middle of Sky Drop, Dig, etc.
The way he worded it was correct. Even people who are new to pokemon can do that basic math. They're not reduced to .75, that would imply that the initial number is 1. We're going by 100% and it's weakened by .75, making it 75%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)