Megas For All (Read the whole 1st post and check current slate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cryogonal probably can turn into a mirror or something, with Ice/Steel. Gets complete wrecked by Fire or Fighting moves, though. I'm still going with a custom ability that turns the opponents' special attacks onto themselves.

There is no hope for Accelgor to be bulky, I mean, base 40 defense is just plain bad. I'm going for the mixed attacker on this one.

As for Mienshao, does anyone else think the colors make it feel like a flying type? That way a flying immune ability should be easy to fit on it.

Winter Shield seems too natural for Crygonal. I don't know what else would work around the SR weakness and base 30 defense.

How about Stench for Mienshao? It'd obviously get a different name, but a 10% chance for all contact moves to flinch fits thematically for a Pokemon that attacks using whips. Question is, would that not be enough of a boost (without gratuitous +50 Attack/+50 Speed) to make it OU-viable?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Winter Shield seems too natural for Crygonal. I don't know what else would work around the SR weakness and base 30 defense.

How about Stench for Mienshao? It'd obviously get a different name, but a 10% chance for all contact moves to flinch fits thematically for a Pokemon that attacks using whips. Question is, would that not be enough of a boost (without gratuitous +50 Attack/+50 Speed) to make it OU-viable?
It doesn't need that drastic of a stat boost in terms of individual stats, Mienshao that is. What makes it unviable in OU is its poor defensive stats of 65/60/60. It's offensive stats are great and right now it sits at a speed tier of 105. So maybe a jump to a 110 or 115 speed tier would be a big improvement, as it would be a solid mon that can help check more threats than it can at 105 base speed.

It doesn't need that drastic of a stat boost in terms of individual stats, Mienshao that is. What makes it unviable in OU is its poor defensive stats of 65/60/60. It's offensive stats are great and right now it sits at a speed tier of 105. So maybe a jump to a 110 or 115 speed tier would be a big improvement, as it would be a solid mon that can help check more threats than it can at 105 base speed.
I guess a better way of asking it would be, once you've distributed enough Attack/Special Attack stat boosts to make up for the loss of Life Orb, are there enough points left over to improve its viability while still giving it a "normal" spread of boosts?

That's probably another trend to think of with the stat boosts. Heracross, Absol, Mawile, and Aggron are the only non-Uber Megas from X/Y that received boosts in 3 or fewer stats.

Combining my post before and Wiwaxia's immediately after it, it's safe to assume that the winning submissions aren't getting type changes or new abilities significantly more or less frequently than the Game Freak Megas were once we see that those changes were overwhelmingly given to non-OU Pokemon (Gyarados was the only OU to change type; over half kept their standard ability and none of them got an ability that was new to Gen VI). When gaining points in 3 stats or fewer has less of a precedent than a new type or new ability, it's probably also something to use sparingly on bad Pokemon.

Clear Ice seems like it was designed for Cryogonal, and gives it plenty pseudo-resistances. With a bit more Speed and a lot more Defense, it has potential.
Yes, it was. I designed it with Cryogonal and Avalugg in mind, one to take advantage of it on the special side and the other on the physical side. Other Ice-types getting it was more of a running joke than anything else. :P

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I guess a better way of asking it would be, once you've distributed enough Attack/Special Attack stat boosts to make up for the loss of Life Orb, are there enough points left over to improve its viability while still giving it a "normal" spread of boosts?

That's probably another trend to think of with the stat boosts. Heracross, Absol, Mawile, and Aggron are the only non-Uber Megas from X/Y that received boosts in 3 or fewer stats.

Combining my post before and Wiwaxia's immediately after it, it's safe to assume that the winning submissions aren't getting type changes or new abilities significantly more or less frequently than the Game Freak Megas were once we see that those changes were overwhelmingly given to non-OU Pokemon (Gyarados was the only OU to change type; over half kept their standard ability and none of them got an ability that was new to Gen VI). When gaining points in 3 stats or fewer has less of a precedent than a new type or new ability, it's probably also something to use sparingly on bad Pokemon.
We both know that LO sets and megas generally function differently due to stat distribution, speed increases/decreases, etc. So it's not always a necessity to increase an offensive stat to compensate for LO loss in regards to more offensive mons. In a majority of cases the LO loss isn't even a factor cause the mega is superior due to a more useful stats or just a concept that functions differently and is much more appreciated in the tier or too strong for it. Also as far as my submissions go I'm not too worried about a drastic stat increase or a more broad stat distribution as I'm more concerned with general balance and focused on either 1. Making it OU viable without making it completely broken 2. Making it at least an option to consider in OU for various reasons. For myself it's a case by case thing. If the mon needs a drastic boost to make it relevant in higher tiers than that's what I'll do. If not, then I'll build according to that mentality and more than likely formulate a new concept or improve on forgotten aspects and allowing it to be more diverse. Diversity is a pretty huge factor in a mons viability anyways so it's always good to take that into consideration.

Kind of forgot to answer your last points about leftover stats that would make it viable. It all depends on the person building the concept so generally it's best to focus on key things you want out of the concept and then just improve or polish some things if you're not initially satisfied with stat distribution, ability, etc.

For both mienshao and accelgor I'm using abilities that focus on speed.
Mienshao will be given Judo which makes the opponents moves have an extra 50% recoil if they outspeed you(to make talon less of a problem)
Accelgor will be given pure velocity(boosts the power of your moves by 30% if you outspeed the opponent)
Accelgor will also be poison type and have aura sphere

I tried an ability on Electrode that turned speed (or half of a user's speed) into an attack stat, where the user takes their Atk or SpAtk, and adds it to their speed then divides by two to determine power. It could give the thing deceptively good mixed coverage. Not sure how to show calcs though.

Since other people seem to be doing it I'll tell you what I'm thinking for the next slate.
Accelgor is a fast ninja so I'm thinking about giving it protean
Mienshao already has reckless so giving its mega reckless is good. maybe give it flare blitz as a new move.

We both know that LO sets and megas generally function differently due to stat distribution, speed increases/decreases, etc. So it's not always a necessity to increase an offensive stat to compensate for LO loss in regards to more offensive mons. In a majority of cases the LO loss isn't even a factor cause the mega is superior due to a more useful stats or just a concept that functions differently and is much more appreciated in the tier or too strong for it. Also as far as my submissions go I'm not too worried about a drastic stat increase or a more broad stat distribution as I'm more concerned with general balance and focused on either 1. Making it OU viable without making it completely broken 2. Making it at least an option to consider in OU for various reasons. For myself it's a case by case thing. If the mon needs a drastic boost to make it relevant in higher tiers than that's what I'll do. If not, then I'll build according to that mentality and more than likely formulate a new concept or improve on forgotten aspects and allowing it to be more diverse. Diversity is a pretty huge factor in a mons viability anyways so it's always good to take that into consideration.

Kind of forgot to answer your last points about leftover stats that would make it viable. It all depends on the person building the concept so generally it's best to focus on key things you want out of the concept and then just improve or polish some things if you're not initially satisfied with stat distribution, ability, etc.
Good insight! When I have absolutely no idea off the bat I just see what the Pokemon would look like with +20 to all stats. With Mienshao, 60/80/80 defenses, even with a good defensive ability like Regenerator, aren't doing anything for it so it's a good indication that those stats probably shouldn't get anything more than a courtesy +10 if needed to keep a Mega Mienshao from being too broken.

When I think about diversity with Mienshao, it's as a Fighting type that can be a mixed attacker. It's most similar to Lucario and Infernape in terms of movepool and stat spread, but it'll be hard for Mienshao to come close to either of the two in terms of movepool, largely in part to the secondary STAB options they have. It's also one of those Pokemon that doesn't give you too much from its movepool or the lore/Pokedex to indicate it should be getting an extra type. Mienshao gets Baton Pass, but I don't know what it could be given to help it capably perform that role in OU without either making it too good at just keeping the boosts itself and sweeping or giving it Prankster out of thin air.

One thing I like about the Stench clone in addition to fitting with it being a Fake Out user and striking with its whip-like arms is that Grass Knot is one of the rare special attacks that makes contact, but 10% might be too low of a chance to be worth giving up Regenerator and buffing the percentage could put it into Shaymin-S territory.

Last edited:

AM

LCPL Champion
Good insight! When I have absolutely no idea off the bat I just see what the Pokemon would look like with +20 to all stats. With Mienshao, 60/80/80 defenses, even with a good defensive ability like Regenerator, aren't doing anything for it so it's a good indication that those stats probably shouldn't get anything more than a courtesy +10 if needed to keep a Mega Mienshao from being too broken.

When I think about diversity with Mienshao, it's as a Fighting type that can be a mixed attacker. It's most similar to Lucario and Infernape in terms of movepool and stat spread, but it'll be hard for Mienshao to come close to either of the two in terms of movepool, largely in part to the secondary STAB options they have. It's also one of those Pokemon that doesn't give you too much from its movepool or the lore/Pokedex to indicate it should be getting an extra type. Mienshao gets Baton Pass, but I don't know what it could be given to help it capably perform that role in OU without either making it too good at just keeping the boosts itself and sweeping or giving it Prankster out of thin air.

One thing I like about the Stench clone in addition to fitting with it being a Fake Out user and striking with its whip-like arms is that Grass Knot is one of the rare special attacks that makes contact, but 10% might be too low of a chance to be worth giving up Regenerator and buffing the percentage could put it into Shaymin-S territory.
I mean I know I'm going mixed attacker with Mienshao. Other stuff I'll be doing is either typical boost with some changes or in the case of Cryo I'm changing it up a bit. Stunfisk I have no hope for lol.

Yeah I try my best not to give abilities out of thin air just for viability sake. I like stuff to make sense, then again some stuff is just so bad or unviable in OU you have to go left field and think of something weird sometimes.

Stunfisk will undoubtedly be the hardest to make viable. It has no real niche, disappointing stats and movepool, and a rather useless selection of abilities. Its one redeeming quality is its decent-at-best 109/99 special bulk, slightly better than its physical bulk. However, a Ground/Electric typing, albeit interesting, is not amazing defensively, giving Stunfisk weaknesses to common moves like Earthquake and Scald. (Notably, it synergizes almost perfectly with pure Fairies, resisting both Poison- and Steel-type attacks and hitting the Fire-, Poison-, and Steel-types that give Fairies trouble super-effectively with Earth Power or Earthquake.) There isn't really any feasible way of making Stunfisk an offensive threat without giving it a +50/+50 stat renovation and an overpowered ability, so I think the best way to go about Mega Stunfisk to turn it into a mixed wall. 109 is a pretty good HP stat, so adding 20-30 points onto its middling defenses can make it harder to break. It doesn't have a fantastic support movepool, with its options being limited to Thunder Wave, Toxic, Sandstorm and Yawn, but most of its attacks have dangerous side-effects, like Scald, Discharge, and Earth Power (10% chance of lowering SpD). This screams Serene Grace, which, flavor irony aside, would be a great fit for Mega Stunfisk. This probably requires a good-sized boost in SpA if it wants to do any damage while it burns and paralyzes stuff. But before this ugly little mud fish turns into an annoying piece of shit, it still has two gaping flaws if it wants to be a successful wall - it has no reliable recovery, and it is hit by all entry hazards and status effects (except for Paralysis, which, let's be honest, Stunfisk wouldn't give a damn about anyway). Serene Grace also makes little sense flavor-wise, so I perused Stunfisk's Bulbapedia entry, and I found that it protects itself so well it should be a celebrity spokesperson for Trojan: "Its skin is very hard, so it is unhurt even if stepped on by sumo wrestlers...it conceals itself in the mud of the seashore...when prey touch it, it delivers a jolt of electricity". An ability reflecting its uncanny capacity to guard itself from others would make perfect sense. Magic Bounce is the first thing that came to mind, but it doesn't nullify entry hazard damage, and Magic Bounce users are still susceptible to statuses as side effects from moves like Scald, so I went with Magic Guard. MG users are basically immune to any types of residual damage, whether it be from Spikes or poison, so can really only be damaged using direct attacks, most of which Mega Stunfisk will hopefully be able to take with ease and make it much harder to take down. I'm somewhat stuck between the two right now, but regardless of ability I'm probably going to add some form of reliable recovery, the lack of which is the other main flaw I noticed. I'll probably also keep the Ground/Electric typing, but I'm not ruling out removing one of those.

Accelgor is mainly used for its lightning-fast support capabilities and spike-stacking, and as a bug type I can't resist giving it sticky web. However, if it wants to set up a more than one layer of Spikes as well as SW, it really needs better defensive stats. If used as a lead, it can pretty much outspeed anything, so we can probably give it an ability besides Unburden, although I'm not sure what. I was thinking of giving it something like Oblivious, changing its typing to Bug/Poison and giving it Toxic Spikes to make it something of an ultimate hazard/support lead, but that's one of many viable options. Its Special offense could use a boost both stat- and coverage-wise, although it usually doesn't have more than one or two moveslots available for actual attacks, but the real problem is its physical defense - 80/40 is absolutely pitiful, so a +40/+50 boost might be in store for this little ninja bug dude.

These are just some preliminary thoughts, and I've obviously examined Stunfisk much more thoroughly as of now. I'm also thinking about the other two, but I'm having trouble finding a different role for their mega to fill, especially with Mienshao. I can always just boost their highest stats and call it a day as a last resort, but that's no fun and it doesn't encourage creativity, which is the whole idea here.

(also this is my first post here after lurking for a month hooray so hopefully I didn't do anything wrong aha)

My Accelgor, like my Escavalier, is going to buck the trend a bit and go back to its first stage's roots (so I really hope it ties with a traditional interpretation, as my Escavalier did). My Accelgor is getting its shield back.

My Accelgor is getting Stance Change.

My Accelgor, like my Escavalier, is going to buck the trend a bit and go back to its first stage's roots (so I really hope it ties with a traditional interpretation, as my Escavalier did). My Accelgor is getting its shield back.

Problem: Stance Change, Flower Gift, and Multitype are hardcoded to work ONLY with the Pokemon they were originally programmed for

OKAY THEN

Unaware could also be good for Mega Stufisk to go defensive - it does look pretty dopey like Quagsire.

It would've been super fitting with Stunfisk's flavor to give it an ability called Ambush where its moves don't miss the first turn out. I was thinking about doing that and giving it Zap Cannon, but then I saw that it learns Fissure lol.

Last edited:
it'll work if you make two forms give it kings shield and let stance change activate on it
That's what I'm hoping for. I've done up the stats for both forms and everything. Can't imagine it'd be any harder to program than coding in an immunity to priority moves, allowing mons to use moves in their sleep, adding a bonus to damage based on weight, or using moves like Leech Seed or Aromatherapy on switching in.

It looks like the Darm issue was based on wanting it to switch stances depending on whether its attack is physical or special. My Accelgor is a simple King's Shield shifter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)