Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious as to how Mega Lopunny is going to work. It's got good coverage with Jump Kick and the E-Punches. Scrappy makes Jump Kick more "spammable", though you still have to watch for Protect. It's basically guaranteed a flinch when it Mega-Evoles (save for Inner Focus mons) thanks to Scrappy Fake Out. But coverage is one thing, and being able to hit hard is another. Since Mega-Lopunny has an ability that just expands its STAB coverage, it might need a drastic power jump to be most effective since its ability doesn't increase its actual offensive output. I also wish it got more coverage options than just the E-Punches, which aren't the greatest in terms of power. Maybe some sort of priority (STAB Scrappy E-Speed would have made it better) or better coverage types to pair with Fighting (Ghost or Dark).

Not saying it'll be bad: we're in the on-paper stage, and its stat distribution is unknown. Just wondering how it plays out in the metagame.

Well, it's a new mechanic. And a new mechanic would seem like wasted potential if only 4% of the pokemon with megas could take part in it.
Meh, I'm not too fussed about it. I was mostly making a joke about how many megas there are now. I would disagree about it being wasted though. We've had form changes before and I've never considered those a waste just because they weren't widespread.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Stoked as fuck for Mega Altaria, a very likely defensive oriented Fairy with great sustain and STAB and quite a few selling points over Mega Garde and Sylv (namely: FIRE BLAST) DD + Return may also be potent if Attack gets bumped up. While unexpected, I hope Altaria becomes a Mega success story like Mawile.

Only downside is that it is one of the only gen 3 Flying types without access to Defog but otherwise I might give this a spin over Latias.

Guys afaik: the pikachu contest moves are just for the contests. Serebii quotes: "It also confirms that when you change your Pikachu's clothes for contests, it gets special moves. Pikachu Rock Star gets the move Meteor Mash, Pikachu Ph. D. knows Electric Terrain, Pikachu Pop Star knows Draining Kiss, Pikachu Belle knows Icicle Crash and Pikachu Libre knows Flying Press".

I still hope I'm wrong though :-(

Guys afaik: the pikachu contest moves are just for the contests. Serebii quotes: "It also confirms that when you change your Pikachu's clothes for contests, it gets special moves. Pikachu Rock Star gets the move Meteor Mash, Pikachu Ph. D. knows Electric Terrain, Pikachu Pop Star knows Draining Kiss, Pikachu Belle knows Icicle Crash and Pikachu Libre knows Flying Press".

It was shown in a battle!

You are. The scans show them battling outside

The Corocoro scan pretty clearly shows the moves being used in battle, though, along with the contest Pikas being used in battle as well. I'd say that contests are connected to Pikachu changing form, and it keeps its form outside of battle until you change it again.

EDIT: ...and like, double ninja'd.

Mega Altaria should be interesting. The typing is cool: it gains a Dragon-immunity, Electric-resistances, and a reduced Ice-weakness, but the best part of the switching from Flying to Fairy is the Rock-neutrality. However, it now gains a Fairy weakness, which is a real spammable attacking type.

Offensively, it entirely depends on which spectrum gets the bigger boost, probably. Physically, Altaria has Dragon Dance, along with Outrage/Dragon Claw, EQ, and Pixilated Normal Move of choice (Return, most likely), and I feel this is going to be the better option than the other. Special Altaria has Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor, Fire Blast/Flamethrower, and Pixilated Hyper Voice, and both sets hit the same general group of targets, but unlike the physical variant, Altaria has no way to boost its Special Attack.

The improved defensive typing should help it: it's got decent bulk, and not losing 25% of its HP to SR should help it take hits a bit better. But, as with Lopunny, I actually worry about actual damage output. Pixilate should help, but is it really going to be enough to carve it a niche in higher tiers? We'll see.

I'm curious if there is more to come. I'm happy with what I got, but the ball feels like it is just rolling. With Mega Lopunny, it opens the door for other gen pokemon getting megas.

with rage, mega salemence has what is effectively a 156 base power flying-type outrage (rage + aerilate). Granted, the only advantage flying has against dragon resistance wise is that flying hits fairies, but at the same time nothing is immune to it and it makes a fairy switch in a lot harder given that salemence can OHKO them regardless.
Pikachu becoming competitively viable in the lower tiers though makes me happy.

Stellar Awe..... ok then.

I'm hype for M-Altaria. That typing is an Arceus send and it looks really cool, unlike M-Salamence. (It's the front legs..... or lack there of. It just bothers me) Here's hoping it gets a good boost to it's Sp. Atk to help with that beautiful new special ability. I'm also curious as to how Mega Loppuny will be.

I don't know if a lil hype theorymoning is allowed here, but just to give a taste of how Altaria does (hypothetically):

4 SpA Altaria Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 316-376 (91.8 - 109.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
IF 100 SpA stat.

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. +3 252 HP / 0 Def Altaria: 98-116 (27.6 - 32.7%) -- 69.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

IF 100 Def stat after Cotton Guard.

Since Altaria would be fearing mostly SE Fairy/Ice/Posion special attacks if we use a Roost/Cotton Guard/Fire Blast/??? set, (BAN ME PLEASE) would pair nicely with him.

Last edited:

canno

formerly The Reptile
Oh my god Mega Altaria is amazing. Might actually pick up babby Swablu if you can get the mega stone during the story.

Also Mega Salamence and Mega Lopunny are cool too.

with rage, mega salemence has what is effectively a 156 base power flying-type outrage (rage + aerilate). Granted, the only advantage flying has against dragon resistance wise is that flying hits fairies, but at the same time nothing is immune to it and it makes a fairy switch in a lot harder given that salemence can OHKO them regardless.
Pikachu becoming competitively viable in the lower tiers though makes me happy.
I believe you're talking about Thrash. Rage has 26 power after Aerilate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)