Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Might have been mentioned already, but since everyone is talking about megas right now, I'll bring it up anyway.

Assuming that the information on this page is true, Salamence's pokedex number in ORAS is now 198, but Salamence was 189 in the original Hoenn dex. This means that there are at least 9 pokemon added to the Hoenn dex.

It is also worth noting that there are 9 pokemon from the fourth generation who are either evolutions or pre-evolutions of pokemon who were in the original Hoenn dex. These pokemon include: Gallade, Probopass, Magnezone, Budew, Roserade, Dusknoir, Chingaling, Rhyperior, and Froslass. This seems like a perfect fit, 9 new pokemon/ 9 new spaces, until we take into account that since Mega Lopunny is now a thing, we can deduce that both Buneary and Lopunny will be available, bring the current total number of new pokemon up to 11.

Therefore, there are several possibilities regarding additions to the new Hoenn dex:

1. Only the fourth gen pokemon who are related to pokemon from the original Hoen dex will be added to the new dex. Meaning Buneary and maybe some others will only be available after the national dex is obtained. (Possible, but all of the "related" pokemon are obtained through the use of evolving with items that didn't exist yet, bred with incense that didn't exist yet, or evolve in places with high magnetism which I don't recall Hoenn ever having a place like that. It is all dependent of whether GF gives us these items/locations pre or post E4.)

2. The Buneary line and some other pokemon (possibly some but not all from the "related" list) are added to the new dex and therefore available pre E4.

3. A combination of 1 and 2 with some pokemon after Salamence in the dex. (Though since the only other pokemon after Salamence in the original dex is the Beldum line and the legendaries, this seems unlikely.)

4. The information I linked above is false and you should disregard everything I just said.
Many of the Megas revealed before X/Y's release weren't available until the post-game, so I highly doubt most non-starter Megas (or even Buneary/Lopunny) will be available until after you beat the game.

I hope Gamefreak doesn't give Mega Mence more speed, just me but it already would be good without that. Also Mega Zard ( X and Y ) didn't gain speed so I hope they go that route, Mega Garchomp route would be mean but more speed to a Dragon Dancer like that.. Do not want.

Many of the Megas revealed before X/Y's release weren't available until the post-game, so I highly doubt most non-starter Megas (or even Buneary/Lopunny) will be available until after you beat the game.
That doesn't say anything about the pokemon themselves. With the exception of Blaziken (event notwithstanding) and Mewtwo, all of the pokemon who were capable of Mega Evolving in X and Y could be found during the game. It was the mega stones, with a few exceptions, which could not be found until the post game. I think this is what you meant, but if they follow this trend, then Buneary will be in the new Hoenn dex, and that opens the door to include more pokemon after that. Whether that means the new pokemon who have been introduce since Emerald, or pokemon who were pre-Gen III, and who were not in Hoenn originally, that's anyone's guess.

I'd be surprised if they added every pokemon who could mega evolve in Kalos, and I honestly hope that they don't during the game, but for every new mega who's introduced in ORAS, if they weren't in the original Hoenn dex, then I would expect them to do what they did in Platinum, and add it to the new Hoenn dex, with a few odd others to act as filler, and I wouldn't find it too out of place for them to add them after Salamence, but before the legendaries.

Yeah, even +50 atk leaves it's attack stat just a little underwhelming by many current standards. As many people have been saying. But I disagree on the movepool part. The main thing Loppuny was missing pre-ORAS was one powerful fighting type attack for her to take advantage of the new STAB. But we already know she's getting High Jump Kick (the most spamalbe HJK in the game). After that she's already set with Return (or other typical Normal STAB), Fake Out (or Quick Attack) to help with revenge killing and bypassing some slower priority users in specific situations, and she has the elemental punches if you want extra SE coverage (but as many have said she already has perfect neutral coverage on the entire game with just STAB) And then to top off HJK, Return, Fake Out/Quick Attack, and Elemental Punch offensive options it also has a a TON of crazy support options like Healing Wish, Heal Bell, Encore, Mirror Coat, etc. With a speed stat of above 105, an offensive pokemon with encore could actually be REALLY potent. switching into something as it sets up, Encoring it, then proceed to HJK the switch in. Mirror Coat can make it an anti lead, Healing Wish is just a weird and rare move general.
Tutors can make it better for sure, but Loppuny is not lacking in offensive coverage or support options by a long shot so she's deffinitly not depending on tutors to be able to abuse all the new boons of her mega stone.
By movepool I really mean stat boosting moves, not so much attacking coverage.

That doesn't say anything about the pokemon themselves. With the exception of Blaziken (event notwithstanding) and Mewtwo, all of the pokemon who were capable of Mega Evolving in X and Y could be found during the game. It was the mega stones, with a few exceptions, which could not be found until the post game. I think this is what you meant, but if they follow this trend, then Buneary will be in the new Hoenn dex, and that opens the door to include more pokemon after that. Whether that means the new pokemon who have been introduce since Emerald, or pokemon who were pre-Gen III, and who were not in Hoenn originally, that's anyone's guess.

I'd be surprised if they added every pokemon who could mega evolve in Kalos, and I honestly hope that they don't during the game, but for every new mega who's introduced in ORAS, if they weren't in the original Hoenn dex, then I would expect them to do what they did in Platinum, and add it to the new Hoenn dex, with a few odd others to act as filler, and I wouldn't find it too out of place for them to add them after Salamence, but before the legendaries.
Except the PokeDex usually runs more or less in the order you would encounter the Pokemon in the game. Zigzagoon is close to the beginning as it's encountered pretty much as soon as you venture into Route 101. Salamence, or rather Bagon, is found in a tiny room deep in the heart of Meteor Falls and requires Surf and Waterfall to get there iirc, so it's near the bottom. I'm struggling to think of a good place to encounter Buneary/Lopunny that far into the game. It's not like it entirely matters whether the Pokemon is in the Hoenn Dex or not, as nothing stops the player from receiving non-regional Pokemon before the National Dex, and hasn't for some time now. (Torchic wasn't part of any Kalos regional PokeDex yet could be received just fine as soon as you downloaded the Speed Boost Torchic event. It was even advertised to be able to help the player during their adventure)

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
If we're still brainstorming what new mons are getting added to the dex, I think Shellos and Gastrodon might be added. According to Bulbapedia, they were going to be in R/S but time constraints prevented that. It would seem like a good reason to include them for that sake, making the designs version exclusive or based on if they were encountered on land or in water.

Personally, I wouldn't want this to happen. Hoenn already has enough Water-types as it is.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
The official site has updated with several screenshots of Slowbro participating in contests, which is odd because I don't think it's too popular to be showcased along Altaria and Pikachu. Do you think the Slowpoke evolutionary line will be added to the Hoenn dex?

If it's unbreedable then it is guaranteed to have 3 perfect IVs.
It might be to do with the recent "Slowpoke Day/ Festival" in Japan, in which 10th August is Slowpoke Day because Slowpoke's Japanese name can be read the same with 10th of August. Something like that.

http://www.pokemon.jp/special/yadon_paradise/

Last edited:
Except the PokeDex usually runs more or less in the order you would encounter the Pokemon in the game. Zigzagoon is close to the beginning as it's encountered pretty much as soon as you venture into Route 101. Salamence, or rather Bagon, is found in a tiny room deep in the heart of Meteor Falls and requires Surf and Waterfall to get there iirc, so it's near the bottom. I'm struggling to think of a good place to encounter Buneary/Lopunny that far into the game. It's not like it entirely matters whether the Pokemon is in the Hoenn Dex or not, as nothing stops the player from receiving non-regional Pokemon before the National Dex, and hasn't for some time now. (Torchic wasn't part of any Kalos regional PokeDex yet could be received just fine as soon as you downloaded the Speed Boost Torchic event. It was even advertised to be able to help the player during their adventure)
Platinum ignored this convention entirely and simply tacked on 60 pokemon to the end of the dex (beyond Dialga/Palkia/Manaphy, by the way) with no regard to encounter point, so there is precedent.

Also, they may change Bagon's availability in Meteor Falls regardless. I personally see Buneary being available in Southern Hoenn (Petalburg woods or route 110) as Buneary, but wild Lopunny might feasibly inhabit Route 119 or 123.

In the Talent Round page, when Altaria gets maximum audience excitement, it performs a 'Spectacular Talent', which seems to be based on it's typing. Regular Altaria used Celestial Skies (Flying) while Mega Altaria used Elegant★Outing (Fairy, I guess). I wonder if they will have different effects? It would be a nice way to add some more strategy to Contests.
Otherwise, 'competitive contesting' would be just Megas and Smeargle.

Sorry if this was mentioned. A while back (during the early XY days) people were wondering why Cresselia, which seemed to scream fairy type to some people was not retconned considering the moon's role surrounding its legend and the fact that it was one of the few pokemon that had learned moonblast. People of course pointed out that the Altaria evolutionary line had learned Moonblast and was not fairy but now Mega Altaria is Dragon/Fairy. That leaves only two pokemon who learn Moonblast through leveling up, but whose evolutionary line does not include fairy typing: Cresselia and Lunatone. I wonder if there's a possibility of Cresselia getting a mega and getting fairy typing. It never really crossed my mind but with Altaria getting additional fairy typing, Lopunny getting a Mega in ORAS despite being from Gen 4, it doesn't seem like a completely farfetched idea.

Last edited:
Might have been mentioned already, but since everyone is talking about megas right now, I'll bring it up anyway.

Assuming that the information on this page is true, Salamence's pokedex number in ORAS is now 198, but Salamence was 189 in the original Hoenn dex. This means that there are at least 9 pokemon added to the Hoenn dex.

It is also worth noting that there are 9 pokemon from the fourth generation who are either evolutions or pre-evolutions of pokemon who were in the original Hoenn dex. These pokemon include: Gallade, Probopass, Magnezone, Budew, Roserade, Dusknoir, Chingaling, Rhyperior, and Froslass. This seems like a perfect fit, 9 new pokemon/ 9 new spaces, until we take into account that since Mega Lopunny is now a thing, we can deduce that both Buneary and Lopunny will be available, bring the current total number of new pokemon up to 11.

Therefore, there are several possibilities regarding additions to the new Hoenn dex:

1. Only the fourth gen pokemon who are related to pokemon from the original Hoen dex will be added to the new dex. Meaning Buneary and maybe some others will only be available after the national dex is obtained. (Possible, but all of the "related" pokemon are obtained through the use of evolving with items that didn't exist yet, bred with incense that didn't exist yet, or evolve in places with high magnetism which I don't recall Hoenn ever having a place like that. It is all dependent of whether GF gives us these items/locations pre or post E4.)

2. The Buneary line and some other pokemon (possibly some but not all from the "related" list) are added to the new dex and therefore available pre E4.

3. A combination of 1 and 2 with some pokemon after Salamence in the dex. (Though since the only other pokemon after Salamence in the original dex is the Beldum line and the legendaries, this seems unlikely.)

4. The information I linked above is false and you should disregard everything I just said.
Platinum's regional Pokedex had all the new additions added after the final Pokemon (the in-game legends) in the DP regional dex so it's not out of the question for GF to just add Buneary (and some others?) after Metagross/have them at the very end. If anything new is in the Hoenn dex, I'm betting it will be between Metagross and Regirock.

Or, GF is being lame and only added new preevos/evos, and Buneary wont be available until post-game.

If it's unbreedable then it is guaranteed to have 3 perfect IVs.
I forgot this new rule. Then SRing for it will be less annoying.

Pichu couldn't breed because it was a baby. Cosplay Pikachu probably CAN breed just fine, but the result will be a Pichu that evolves into a normal Pikachu complete with the ability to evolve into Raichu. Like the Fancy and Poke Ball pattern Vivillon.
Floette-E is unbreedable, so there is a precedent here. It also opens a precedent for Pikachu to get better stats and finally push Raichu to ostracism in most things. If Pikachu were to get 100 more Base Points (remembering Floette-E received 180 more points iirc), then this Cosplay Pikachu would be the real "Mega" Pikachu. 20 points in speed are enough to tie with Raichu and, with Light Ball, it already has better Atk and SAtk. If it were to get, maybe 30 in speed and 35 in each attack, it would be a real nuke.

Last edited:
I doubt Cosplay Pikachu will get a stat increase. But if anything, I could see them boosting a specific stat for each different costume.

Like this:
Libre - Attack
Rock Star - Defense
Belle - Sp.Attack
PhD - Sp.Defense
Pop Star - Speed

That would be the most appropriate choices based on their costumes, but Sp.Atk isn't the best choice for Belle since it gets Icicle Crash. I suppose it could switch with Pop Star since it's the only one that gets a Special Attack exclusive move lol.

So what I got from this is that, A) Platinum never happened, and B) everyone's going to be Wonder Trading/trading with friends/receiving bunearies from events, so the actual pokemon in the Hoenn Dex don't matter, just the structure.

Platinum showed a clear change in the Sinnoh Dex by including several pokemon who weren't in Diamond or Pearl. I mean, where were Ralts and Eevee in the new Sinnoh Dex? Where was Absol? Everything "new" was tacked onto the end of the original Sinnoh Dex, after Dialga, Palkia, and Manaphy, even though Rotom could be found in Eterna Forest, and Gligar could be found underneath Cycling Road on Route 206. So the argument that the pokedex will normally run in the order that pokemon are encountered, well that method, although it could be seen in Hoenn, wasn't fully implemented until the Sinnoh era, pre-Platinum, anyway. So, as far as I'm concerned, adding more pokemon in at the end of the Hoenn Dex is fair game, and it is something that they've done before. Do I want to see dramatic changes in the Hoenn dex? No, certainly not. But there are 335 pokemon in between Emerald and ORAS, compared to the original 386. Something is going to give, and it's going to need a place to go.

About receiving non-regional pokemon from external sources - each game has a regional dex for a reason. It describes just what kind of pokemon can be expected to be found during the game, not what you can expect to receive from the outside. If I wanted to go out and buy a Y version today, do you think I'd be able to play with that event Torchic now? No, because that event was a one time thing. External influences aren't consistently available. The only thing that's consistent, mid game, is the regional dex, and that is why the Hoenn Dex matters. Not everyone has a friends to trade with, or two games systems to play with, or even two games.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
On the reverse side of the point above, nothing was added to HGSS apart from a massive upgraded/expanded Safari Zone (which unlocked a huge amount of Mons from Sinnoh/Hoenn). The actual route data remained the same for the most part. They did however include some things from Crystal, which were not in HGSS. Please remember back in FRLG when you could not get Crobat until after you received the National Dex? (Yeah, it was pretty stupid)

Platinum mons were added *after* the dex because it was easier. I am not sure if ORAS will go the same route or not. Either way, good spot on the numbers and getting them to all add up correctly. I think GF knew damn well they goofed with the Sinnoh dex the first time around, and made amends with the Platinum expanded dex. While they have the huge opportunity to add other mons (and I would LOVE for them to do that) I am now not so sure... It would seem off to have things like Buneary/Foongus etc AFTER Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza in the dex.

Could they push Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza back the requisite number of slots and add a bunch of Pokemon to the end? So after Metagross there's a load of new Pokemon, then legendaries at the end? I'm thinking of the New Unova Dex for BW2 that kicked Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyruem back to the 290s in the regional dex.

Could they push Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza back the requisite number of slots and add a bunch of Pokemon to the end? So after Metagross there's a load of new Pokemon, then legendaries at the end? I'm thinking of the New Unova Dex for BW2 that kicked Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyruem back to the 290s in the regional dex.
At the same time, that one was rather... odd for having the Kami and Muskedeer trios scattered randomly on the dex.

I guess the theory's sound, but the way I see it if they wanted to keep the Legendaries 'special' and kept for later in the dex, they would have done the same for 'Mence and 'Gross.

Sorry if this was mentioned. A while back (during the early XY days) people were wondering why Cresselia, which seemed to scream fairy type to some people was not retconned considering the moon's role surrounding its legend and the fact that it was one of the few pokemon that had learned moonblast. People of course pointed out that the Altaria evolutionary line had learned Moonblast and was not fairy but now Mega Altaria is Dragon/Fairy. That leaves only two pokemon who learn Moonblast through leveling up, but whose evolutionary line does not include fairy typing: Cresselia and Lunatone. I wonder if there's a possibility of Cresselia getting a mega and getting fairy typing. It never really crossed my mind but with Altaria getting additional fairy typing, Lopunny getting a Mega in ORAS despite being from Gen 4, it doesn't seem like a completely farfetched idea.
This is my idea on it:

Cresselia is known as the lunar pokemon while Lunatone is clearly shaped like a moon. The move in question is called Moonblast. Wouldn't those two lunar pokemon also get a move related to the moon?

Although, I may be overlooking something big...

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
By the looks of it GF like giving pseudos megas
They also like giving flying megas without strong flying moves aerialite
Illuminate mega dragonite confirmed

Platinum isn't like oras, it was the same gen, so like bw2, they added extra mons to the dex. I highly doubt they will add mons, apart from (pr)evos, to the dex. Hopefully, unlike rs, they will be accessible post game.

Unfortunately looking at the the map, there doesnt seem like much to do post game (main problem with rs) hopefully they will redo battle tower to the platinum one (battle factory was too good). Hopefully they will make the random islands accessible or more dive spots or whatever. At least we can play contests.

The pikachu forms are just excuses for megas imo. Either they all get appropriate stat boosts (like megas) or just in one stat like KevlarX290 said.

Lastly, lunatone and cresselia get moonblast as the former is a moon and the later is the moon god (its the lunar poke). Thats also why they dont get other fairy moves (altaria gets dazzling gleam). Sorry to ruin fairy mega cress :<

It has been confirmed that Salamence gets a pure defense boost? That means its defense stat is 180! What?!

Then it has a really good attack when using Double-Edge, although flying type isn't exactly the best type offensively. I think it'll be for sure atleast in OU, but the sad thing is that it's gonna be checked with Ice beam, since its Special Defense isn't powered up. Anyway I'm definitely looking forward for the games. I am picking Treecko as my starter and it's gonna mega evolve into a Dragon type! Then I will probably get a Charmander from Pokebank or something and then I'll just continue my journey. I am gonna try and get every single mega stone with every mega Pokemon. I'm even gonna use mega Salamence, Altaria and Lopunny!

By the way, it's curious how my two favorite Pokemon have been years without mega evolution or any kind of boost, and then they suddenly turn into a starter type with dragon type! (Charizard and Sceptile)

Aerow

rebel
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
As far as I know, there have never been said it will get a pure Defense boost, but its Defense will be improved by a good amount. This is what the official Pokemon website says about Mega Salamence: "When it Mega Evolves, its Defense stat soars. With its already high stats climbing even higher, this becomes an even more promising Pokémon than before."

This is my idea on it:

Cresselia is known as the lunar pokemon while Lunatone is clearly shaped like a moon. The move in question is called Moonblast. Wouldn't those two lunar pokemon also get a move related to the moon?

Although, I may be overlooking something big...
Lastly, lunatone and cresselia get moonblast as the former is a moon and the later is the moon god (its the lunar poke). Thats also why they dont get other fairy moves (altaria gets dazzling gleam). Sorry to ruin fairy mega cress :<
I agree with the sentiment that Lunatone will pretty much never be Fairy type. And I would be really surprised to get Mega Cressila right now (unless many other legendaries got megas in addition, which also just doesn't sound right) But I did want to stand up for Sweetstack a little. Cause I don't think that it was simply the fact of getting Moonblast in your list that makes you a good Fairy type candidate, but the fact that the Moon itself is strongly associated with Fairy type and therefore being associated with the moon makes you likely a Fairy Pokemon, right? Like half the Pokes that are moon stone evos are the ones that got Fairy Type additions, Moonlight got re-typed to a Fairy move, The new move Moonblast is the strongest Fairy move, etc. Seeing as how strongly associated the Moon is with Fairies it stands to reason that the "moon god" (the lunar poke) should have gotten Fairy type too. But, obviously it didn't so if your a fan of Fairy Cresselia you just got to hope for a mega, lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)