Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I find hilarious that, should TM86 be somewhere between Route 119 (most likely) and Sootopolis, we'll have the option of OHKOing Wallace's gym with a Tough Claws-boosted MegaMetagross spamming Grass Knot left and right, as it evolves as soon as lv45. I don't think even lol Luvdisc would survive it.
but maybe MegaMilotic would

And oh boy, I just can't wait to watch the hordes of people using the shiny Beldum and then complaining the game is too easy. One thing is to complain about the Exp. Share (it's not obligatory but they expected you to use it and thus the level curve is kinda weird in XY), another is to use what's clearly a broken pokémon for in-game and acting like they shouldn't have expected the results.
Beldum is far more balanced than Speed Boost Torchic for an in-game run because it sucks until it fully evolves.

MegaSlowbro can also check fighting types much more easily now that it doesn't have to worry about Knock Off, even if he hasn't megavolved yet
Yes, and for all of those who like me have used Rocky Helmet Slowbro before, you know it can do fine without Leftovers recovery. So a Slowbro holding a mega stone is just as viable, can stomach Knock Offs better and gives up on Rocky Helmet's passive damage for the ability to mega evolve mid to late-game, grab a couple of boosts and make the opponent rage quit as he realizes his super effective moves aren't being effective at all.

Last edited:
My educated guess is that its Speed is going to be reduced, actually. There's a pretty big pine tree for a tail, it might slow it down.

Then again, as I said before in this thread, Megalatis are literal jetplanes and they got no boost to Speed, so Sceptile might not have it Speed reduced either. I actually want it not to be touched at all, because 1) its Speed tier is comfortable enough already, 2) it needs all the points it can get everywhere else, and 3) fuck Thundurus.
I don't really think this is grounded that well. A ton of megas have gained body parts, size, bulk of flesh, grown giant lightning mountains on their back, even started carrying more spoons around with them and still gotten more speed. Changes in that kind of stuff has almost no correlation to speed increase in megas. As one of the most speed oriented starters EVER from any gen (with hidden abilities like unburden even) there is no doubt in my mind Sceptile will see a speed increase in its Mega form. My hope is just that not too much gets thrown in there. And while yes, it already is "comfortable" I think it will be much more comfortable once it knows that its tiny speed increase turned around who's revenge killing who on Greninja and Noviern as well as give Sceptile a solid grasp on the title of "Fastest Dragon." Not Giving any fucks about Protean Ice beams will be a REALLY Big deal and so I'd rather see 10 points go into speed then into sp.def or w/e

Last edited:

Tory

Banned deucer.
So... Does anyone think it is possible to get a Beldum before the Elite Four without the event? If not, I better get Alpha Sapphire day one. Then again, I want that custom 3ds bundle. You know there is going to be one.

So... Does anyone think it is possible to get a Beldum before the Elite Four without the event? If not, I better get Alpha Sapphire day one. Then again, I want that custom 3ds bundle. You know there is going to be one.
Anything is possible, but since it wasn't possible in the originals, I'm gonna say no.

My Two Cents on today's leaks:

I'm quite liking Mega Audino this far; it's nice to see Game Freak put a fresh spin on the "completely useless outside of experience grinding ingame" Pokémon.

Slowbro on the other hand just looks like a slowpoke in a sleeping bag, and losing leftovers and regenerator will probably hurt it.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi CatataFish_6, your avatar. I remember that South Park episode. Bass to Mouth. Then they said mouth to trout.

Mega Slowbro was basically made for the best Blaziken counter right?
Slowbro lost the ability to counter Blaziken when Knock Off was buffed and Baton Pass became legal with Speed Boost. Mega Slowbro still won't be able to since it has to be MEvo'd beforehand.

I...disagree. Just how do you plan to KO a mega slowbro? Physical attacks? Better have a mega heracross. Special attacks? Not if I started boosting myself. Walling it? The few walls that can take more than a couple of +1 scalds dont really appreciate an attack from slowbros extensive movepool. Statusing it? Depends on my choice of moves yet again. If I decide to run rest talk, you lose. Phazing? Refer to the section about walling it. Even if you can phaze it, what is stopping slowbro from slacking off before an obvious sturdy whirlwind from scarm and setting up again later? Lucky mercy crit? Not any more. If you have ever faced a calm mind clefable or crocune, you already know the terror this beast will be to face. While its ability isnt quite on par with clefable, clefable wishes it had slowbros movepool and physical bulk. Crocune cant even compete with bros bulk, movepool, or abilities. Oh and another big thing, it still has regen in base form! You dont have to mega right away if you need bro to pivot around a bit.
Except that it's something that deals STRICTLY with critical hits, something that was already based on luck anyways, I mean if you are counting on that to deal with those things (Crocune, Clefable) you weren't in the most desirable situation already lol.
And that's all great, I wasn't saying it won't be any good, it obviously will, almost too good actually, but personally I wished they didn't make it this way because as you said, facing Crocune is NOT fun!
It could have been done differently imo. Also, with all that you're saying I'm not seeing exactly how it won't be broken so I'd still prefer Regen all day. But I guess there isn't much use to keep complaining about it. Yay new Metagame cancer!!!

To be blunt, your logic here escapes me. You argue that 'completeness' is a necessary precursor to mega evolution, but don't proceed to define your concept besides what feels right to you. You do make an effort to link completeness in some respects to competitiveness, but this confuses me as well, since the one which you nominate as feeling 'complete' - Charizard - has never been competitive. Not trying to be abrasive or confrontational, just really don't understand how Audino, for example, is any different from Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Heracross, etc.
Sorry if my post wasn't clear, let me try to clarify.

From a competitive standpoint, I feel that Game Freak already exhausted most options in trying to make Charizard viable. By giving it a Mega it was able to get a huge stat increase, a type change (in the case of Charizard X), and new abilities. There really wasn't any other way for Charizard to get all the buffs that it did if it didn't get its megas.

Audino on the other hand is a single stage pokemon which didn't really have to resort to getting a Mega to get similar buffs. Now that it does have a mega, the prospect of Audino getting a regular evolution isn't likely, which limits any future buffs it can receive. If Audino needs another notable stat buff, or a type change, or a new ability, etc. it won't be able to get those buffs b/c those changes usually occur when a pokemon gets an evolution. Now that it has a mega, a regular evolution is likely not an option.

As for the pokemon you mentioned, I personally wouldn't mind if they had gotten regular evolutions since I feel it leaves it open for Game Freak to get more mileage out of them in later gens. Although I certainly wouldn't have buffed them to the level they did since they would be regular evolutions and not megas.

Hopefully that clarifies it a bit. Perhaps completeness is not the right word, but basically, I see a mega evolution as a sort of final buff or last resort. Ideally, they should only resort to giving a pokemon a mega if it already has had most of its options exhausted. Once a pokemon gets a mega, there's not much to go from there (except perhaps getting an expanded movepool).

Sorry if my post wasn't clear, let me try to clarify.

From a competitive standpoint, I feel that Game Freak already exhausted most options in trying to make Charizard viable. By giving it a Mega it was able to get a huge stat increase, a type change (in the case of Charizard X), and new abilities. There really wasn't any other way for Charizard to get all the buffs that it did if it didn't get its megas.

Audino on the other hand is a single stage pokemon which didn't really have to resort to getting a Mega to get similar buffs. Now that it does have a mega, the prospect of Audino getting a regular evolution isn't likely, which limits any future buffs it can receive. If Audino needs another notable stat buff, or a type change, or a new ability, etc. it won't be able to get those buffs b/c those changes usually occur when a pokemon gets an evolution. Now that it has a mega, a regular evolution is likely not an option.

As for the pokemon you mentioned, I personally wouldn't mind if they had gotten regular evolutions since I feel it leaves it open for Game Freak to get more mileage out of them in later gens. Although I certainly wouldn't have buffed them to the level they did since they would be regular evolutions and not megas.

Hopefully that clarifies it a bit. Perhaps completeness is not the right word, but basically, I see a mega evolution as a sort of final buff or last resort. Ideally, they should only resort to giving a pokemon a mega if it already has had most of its options exhausted. Once a pokemon gets a mega, there's not much to go from there (except perhaps getting an expanded movepool).
This is something that people have complained about before. basically the idea that giving a single-evo-line, weak monster a mega does improve it but also "dead ends" it making it so there is no real way to fix it up a few gens down the road, when potentially it could have recieved regular evos now and mega evos later. Like "Sabelye has weak base stats, shouldn't it have been given a regular evolution so that it's mega could be more competitively viable later on?"

All I can say to this is: *pushes spiral glasses up my face* "The world of Pokemon is filled with many mysterious creatures. We don't understand all their powers but it's up to us, the Pokemon trainers and researches to learn to coexist with them and better understand them" Honestly if you just make EVERY SINGLE evolutionary line have 3 evolutionary stages and then a Mega stage it gets real old and real predictable real fast. having lot of variety has always been what makes the games fun and there are TONS of people out there who are into Pokemon but not in a super competitive way. That appreciate the fact that we get all that variety. That when we find new Pokemon we have to wonder how strong it will be, what it's capable of, how it evolves, if it does, how many times. It's all part of exploring an awesome world and that variety is there to make it interesting. I think it's just understood that some Pokemon are weaker than others and always will be and that some Pokemon where never meant to have more than 1 or 2 stages to their typical evolutionary line. That's part of why megas are exciting to lots of people.

And from a competitive stand point. Power Creep is happening. GF knows this and they'll keep coming up with more ways to try to help out the older gen mons as they keep moving forward. I said so last time people brought this up, but 2 years ago no one thought Charizard was ever gonna see higher evolution, base stats, power, abilities, types. Things only had 3 evo stages max. That was the limit. Mega evolution broke that limit and there's no reason the limits it is setting won't be broken some number of gens down the road from here...

Last edited:
mega slowbro is cute and all, but I don't think it's going to be a defensive staple or anything like that. it will likely remain a niche kind of mon, like how slowbro is in the current metagame.

the fact that it is vulnerable to all forms of status, doesn't have passive recovery in leftovers, and loses out on regenerator makes me feel like it will be easy to wear down, and certainly won't be the kind of glue that you can mindlessly switch into so many things like you can with mega venusaur. sure, it will have some merits like technically being a good counter to a lot of physical threats, but I think it will only be really good on paper.

I though Alakazam's ability change was b/s. Then M-Slowbro came. And no, no critical haxing is not above free healing at switches.
True, but on the other hand, it does open up a niche. No one would ever run Calm Mind on a regular Slowbro, but with the increased defense (the Sp.Atk is just a bonus, you're Calm Minding anyway) and immunity to crits, this suddenly becomes viable. Heck, even RestTalk sounds viable (and that hasn't been the case since like Gen 2?). What I'm trying to say is: mega Slowbro will have the right stats and ability to breathe new life to formerly outclassed sets. That in itself is a good thing. And what's more, it might turn out to be one of the few mega evolutions that shouldn't evolve right away, since Slowbro is pretty usable even without Leftovers (especially without the extra Knock Off damage) and is better off not mega evolving until certain threats are taken out or at least weakened.

In fact, just look how ironic this is: Regenerator is such a great ability and Shell Armor is so awful that this mega evolution kind of gives Slowbro two roles: pivoting at the beginning of the battle until the conditions are more favorable and it can take advantage of the niche its sucky mega evolution created. So in the end, it's not that Shell Armor is good and you can just switch in a mega Slowbro and Calm Mind your way to victory because "lol they can't crit", but it does bring something new to the table and can even be scary if played correctly.

Yiggaman

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
True, but on the other hand, it does open up a niche. No one would ever run Calm Mind on a regular Slowbro, but with the increased defense (the Sp.Atk is just a bonus, you're Calm Minding anyway) and immunity to crits, this suddenly becomes viable. Heck, even RestTalk sounds viable (and that hasn't been the case since like Gen 2?). What I'm trying to say is: mega Slowbro will have the right stats and ability to breathe new life to formerly outclassed sets. That in itself is a good thing. And what's more, it might turn out to be one of the few mega evolutions that shouldn't evolve right away, since Slowbro is pretty usable even without Leftovers (especially without the extra Knock Off damage) and is better off not mega evolving until certain threats are taken out or at least weakened.

In fact, just look how ironic this is: Regenerator is such a great ability and Shell Armor is so awful that this mega evolution kind of gives Slowbro two roles: pivoting at the beginning of the battle until the conditions are more favorable and it can take advantage of the niche its sucky mega evolution created. So in the end, it's not that Shell Armor is good and you can just switch in a mega Slowbro and Calm Mind your way to victory because "lol they can't crit", but it does bring something new to the table and can even be scary if played correctly.
That was exactly what I was thinking. This thing is gonna be so good late game. Keep switching slowbro in and out getting your hp back then when you find a good time to set up mid or late game you mega evolve and don't have to worry about those lucky crits that make you wanna rage quit awww man this thing is lovely!

I don't think this has been mentioned yet. Slowbro went full retard and had the Shellder pretty much take over its body for the same reason as Salamence: it makes sense. Because, you know, Slowbro is the Hermit Crab Pokemon, and hermit crabs usually live in a shell. Granted, I think there could have been much better ways to execute the design, rather than having the Shellder basically eat Slowbro. And it still doesn't explain why Slowbro can suddenly feel pain. But it is what it is.

It doesn't matter. Blaziken got re-banned due to baton pass (amongst everything else from Gen V) which Slowbro still can't stop. So let's take the topic off a banned pokemon in a non-competitive discussion shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)