Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
It's about friggin' time MK got revealed. I assume they wanted to spend extra time balancing him out after learning from E3 and such, to make sure he isn't a broken-ass mofo like in Brawl. Now we wait for the Wario reveal.

magikarpmandude The release date is October 3 for the 3DS version and "Holiday 2014" for the Wii U one.

Last edited:
I don't know how I feel about custom moves. Brawl had non-customizable moves and look at the big tier gap (I'm looking at you mk and snake). With new move combinations I feel a little worried that someone is going to discover some incredibly over powered/broken combination and competitive play will be ruined for me.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well somehow I doubt they would be allowed in competitive, they aren't even allowed in casual online play. However, it might be more comparable to Street Fighter Alpha 3 where multiple versions of one character meant that each character was that much more likely to be have some competitive variant. Not a perfect system, but we'll see how it works here.

Well somehow I doubt they would be allowed in competitive, they aren't even allowed in casual online play. However, it might be more comparable to Street Fighter Alpha 3 where multiple versions of one character meant that each character was that much more likely to be have some competitive variant. Not a perfect system, but we'll see how it works here.
I too doubt that they'll be legal in competitive, but how will the Mii characters + Palutena work? The game's just a few weeks out and we don't even know if they have a "default" moveset, since they were built around the custom attacks system. Presumably they'll be treated in the same way that they're playable online.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm pretty sure Palutena has a standard moveset. Each of her moves is pulled from skills in Kid Icarus Uprising. Have you seen something that says otherwise? I was never under the impression that Palutena was being marketed in the same vein as Mii.

Palutena will have a "standard" moveset, her distinction is that her custom moves are completely unique instead of being like a strong version/fast version of the original. I'm not sure if the miis will work the same way or not.

Pic of the day. Here's the place you equip powers for Smash Run. Pack a good mix of them like a lunch box, and off you go! You can change how your powers are set up by touching their icons and dragging them.

(Comment)
If you hit the X Button, it will randomly fill up the remaining weight allowance with powers. You can keep changing the line-up as many times as you please. The level of a power is proportional to its strength, number of uses, and weight. Organizing them might be easier if you label your favorite powers with a ★.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Was a minute too early to the thread today Champion Cynthia :P Thank you for uploading the shots here so we can talk about them!

I'm still not overly sold on Smashrun yet, I guess you've got to play it before it will make sense. Was/Is there any news of Smashrun being online? Or is it Local only?

Some characters had their recovery move revised slightly to make it better/more balanced. If ness returns do you think his recovery move will be revised? I really hope so and it could be as simple as making the thunder ball appear below him so you just need to flick the control stick up to launch him. Also I hope his psi magnet gets reworked too; absorbing energy blast is craptastic compared to some characters like pit's shield that reflects everything. Heck even a properly timed shield can do better than what psi magnet does. Maybe it could actually have magnetic properties and considerably draw in opponents opposite to what mario's fludd does?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Some characters had their recovery move revised slightly to make it better/more balanced. If ness returns do you think his recovery move will be revised? I really hope so and it could be as simple as making the thunder ball appear below him so you just need to flick the control stick up to launch him. Also I hope his psi magnet gets reworked too; absorbing energy blast is craptastic compared to some characters like pit's shield that reflects everything. Heck even a properly timed shield can do better than what psi magnet does. Maybe it could actually have magnetic properties and considerably draw in opponents opposite to what mario's fludd does?
Have you ever actually played Ness? PK Thunder is great for other things rather than just his B Up. I love his B Up BECAUSE it's technical and harder to do than lots of other characters jumps (it also turns him into a human missile dealing huge damage and strong knockback if you connect with anyone). His PK Magnet is also great, have you never noticed that absorbing things heals you? PK Magnet punishes things like Pistol spamming Fox/Falco etc. It's a useful move when used in the right way, but thats the case for a fair few B Downs off the top of my head.

Have you ever actually played Ness? PK Thunder is great for other things rather than just his B Up. I love his B Up BECAUSE it's technical and harder to do than lots of other characters jumps (it also turns him into a human missile dealing huge damage and strong knockback if you connect with anyone). His PK Magnet is also great, have you never noticed that absorbing things heals you? PK Magnet punishes things like Pistol spamming Fox/Falco etc. It's a useful move when used in the right way, but thats the case for a fair few B Downs off the top of my head.
Ness was one of my most used characters and judging by what you said I don't think you have ever played ness competively. You liking his recovery move because it is harder to use does not justify its viability. Also if you manage to hit someone with pk thunder then they must not be very good either. No one who plays competitively will let you finish your pk thunder or they will and punish you by taking a stock off. Have you tried using pk thunder with a pikmin on you? Or have you tried to recover using pk thunder with a mr game and watch using the bucket above you or someone could even take the pk thunder hit and watch you fall helplessly. Pk magnet is never a useful move period. If you have played against a decent falco or fox they will never stand in one spot and spam their laser guns. Instead they will short hop using the laser and inch closer to you. Psi magnet has delay and if they are close enough you will absorb one laser, heal maybe 5% then get a running up smash from falco and gain 10-20% or likely get KOd if you are being desperate enough to heal %. Stop pretending like all characters are created equally sakurai isn't perfect and some characters are better then others. Ness got the short end of the stick in brawl.

You want proof?
check out a pro ness player vs a famous ssbm player (I didn't want to look through a bunch of brawl vids to find an example). The ness tried using psi magnet and got punished. Tried using pk thunder and would have been punished if the fox was in a better position. Notice how the ness player doesnt use pk thunder unless its absolute necessary

Last edited:
Ness was one of my most used characters and judging by what you said I don't think you have ever played ness competively. You liking his recovery move because it is harder to use does not justify its viability. Also if you manage to hit someone with pk thunder then they must not be very good either. No one who plays competitively will let you finish your pk thunder or they will and punish you by taking a stock off. Have you tried using pk thunder with a pikmin on you? Or have you tried to recover using pk thunder with a mr game and watch using the bucket above you or someone could even take the pk thunder hit and watch you fall helplessly. Pk magnet is never a useful move period. If you have played against a decent falco or fox they will never stand in one spot and spam their laser guns. Instead they will short hop using the laser and inch closer to you. Psi magnet has delay and if they are close enough you will absorb one laser, heal maybe 5% then get a running up smash from falco and gain 10-20% or likely get KOd if you are being desperate enough to heal %. Stop pretending like all characters are created equally sakurai isn't perfect and some characters are better then others. Ness got the short end of the stick in brawl.
Given that Nintendo is focusing more on FFA-style combat and teams, Psi Magnet is still useful. Teammates can help you recover damage while in downtime after you KO opponents, you can nab some health during the chaos of FFAs, etc. And while no one stands in one place and lasers, you shouldn't necessarily be using it to dodge lasers...there are far better ways to get around Falco approaches (Fox's lasers don't have knockback so that's not really a problem). I think it is pretty clear DHR-107 was speaking from a casual perspective; he never had any competitive references in his post, and Nintendo does not give the same attention to competitive that it does to casual play.

Given that Nintendo is focusing more on FFA-style combat and teams, Psi Magnet is still useful. Teammates can help you recover damage while in downtime after you KO opponents, you can nab some health during the chaos of FFAs, etc. And while no one stands in one place and lasers, you shouldn't necessarily be using it to dodge lasers...there are far better ways to get around Falco approaches (Fox's lasers don't have knockback so that's not really a problem). I think it is pretty clear DHR-107 was speaking from a casual perspective; he never had any competitive references in his post, and Nintendo does not give the same attention to competitive that it does to casual play.
I know he didn't have any competitive references but does that mean he can say "Have you ever actually played Ness?" I thought that was kind of uncalled for if he was speaking for casuals. I agree in doubles and items on psi magnet can be used to heal you but I feel like a move that has only situational use (how many characters even have energy blasts?) it should get a little more use.

EDIT: Oh and I have to mention that since we are on smogon of all pokemon websites I think that competitive opinions on games should be taken into consideration too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)