ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned RE: Mega Slowbro is that it may potentially be the best Blaziken (possibly Mega Blaziken as well) check in the game. It's typing gives it an enormous advantage over Blaziken & if there's a trainer with Mega Slowbro in game, might not be so easy to just spam Blaziken's STABS and beat the game.
Knock Off says hello

That's a problem unless the remakes can share Pokebank with X/Y or someone has a trusty friend to send it to ORAS which I don't have D:
The remakes are compatible with Poke Bank

Not really. The bottom of this page confirms that the Slowpoke family need to be traded from XY.
Also, from what could I read from Google Translator, the decided to give MegaBro a crappy ability in order to balance it out, because it would be too hard to take down. That and the video means that it's going to have a really high bulk increase, maybe even an offensive decrease.

Last edited:
Also, something I'd like to add is that yes, Mega Slowbro is STILL slow-moving, so that removes the whole oh no it's going to rotate fast or whatever worry.

They officially revealed Mega Slowbro during the opening ceremony of the Championships this morning.

Also nice to see that other moves are getting updated animations.
Hey Guys! No Bouncing! No "Propelling itself like A Spring!" I like mega Slowbro! haha, Some of those movements were a little... agile, but hey whatever the animations are nice and I think it still comes off like it's the same Pokemon!

One thing I noticed, its Grass Knot animation totally has the "spinning like a top" motion. The mode of movement that I first assumed when I saw the design. I don't know how likely it actualy is, but it the same vein Loppuny will have High Jump Kick and Audino Misty Terrain, I think we should watch Slowbro's movepool closely for the addition of Gyro Ball or Rapid Spin.

Last edited:

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Almost always, Pokémon shown in promo videos have 31 IVs and 0 EVs. Based on the damage Mega Charizard did in the Mega Slowbro video (29 pixels of damage out of 96 total, or about 30%), Mega Slowbro has at least 155 Defense, with the upper possibility being 195. With 155 Defense, Dragon Claw does 30% minimum. With 195 Defense, Dragon Claw does 30% maximum.

That being said, I highly doubt Slowbro is getting a Defense boost of 85 points, so I'd guess the stat is closer to 155. The most a single stat has increased when a Pokémon goes Mega is Mewtwo's Attack at 80. The next highest is Heracross at 60.

While it is certainly possible (albeit unlikely) that these Pokémon had imperfect IVs or non-zero EVs, these numbers give us as good ballpark estimate of Mega Slowbro's Defense increase.

TL;DR: Mega Slowbro's Defense stat is likely between 155 and 170.

Generally speaking, Pokémon shown in promo videos have 31 IVs and 0 EVs. Based on the damage Mega Charizard did in the Mega Slowbro video (29 pixels of damage out of 96 total, or about 30%), Mega Slowbro has at least 155 Defense, with the upper possibility being 195. With 155 Defense, Dragon Claw does 30% minimum. With 195 Defense, Dragon Claw does 30% maximum.

That being said, I highly doubt Slowbro is getting a Defense boost of 85 points, so I'd guess the stat is closer to 155. The most a single stat has increased when a Pokémon goes Mega is Mewtwo's Attack at 80. The next highest is Heracross at 60.

While it is certainly possible (albeit unlikely) that these Pokémon had imperfect IVs or non-zero EVs, these numbers give us as good ballpark estimate of Mega Slowbro's Defense increase.

TL;DR: Mega Slowbro's Defense stat is likely between 155 and 170.
What about natures? Do they use neutral ones for promos, and how do you know IVs for them and such?

Not really. The bottom of this page confirms that the Slowpoke family need to be traded from XY.
TBH I never saw anything like this page before in my life. It's on the official website but it's a VERY in depth training guide that goes on to tell you all the best competitive strategies like "Regenerater is the best ability, here's how to get it" and "make sure to have moves like Slack Off and Scald" and "these are the EV spreads that work best" or "the best hold items are Leftovers or Rocky Helmet." That's really crazy. I never saw Nintendo do that before. It's getting kind of close to their own competitive write up...
Anyway, The bottom of that page is pretty easy to understand even if you aren't translating Japanese. But yeah, the Japanese basically says "When you evolve your slowpoke you can send it to ORAS and use it there."

Again it's not strictly saying you can't get and evovle your slowpoke in ORAS but I think it's a pretty heavy implication that you can't. The best argument against that idea is that this entire page is dedicated to training a competitive Slowbro/Slowking in XY. And the note at the very bottom could simply just be a reminder like "and don't worry that you're wasting all this effort to train it in XY becasue you can send you trained Pokemon to the new games too." However I would still take this as a sign that Slowpoke and evolutions won't be native to pre-championship Hoenn.

He could always get an Attack decrease though
LINK
Decreasing the offense that isn't used by a Pokemon essentially means that Pokemon is getting more than +100 in all it's important stats which, I guess isn't impossible, but it does make it more loved than every other mega. Thus far not a single mega has ever seen a decrease in either of it's offensive stats. And on the contrary about half of all Megas that only ever use one attacking stat have both their offensive stats raised. Based on past trends it's just way more likely that Slowbro will actually have +10 Attack or something. Which would still leave it more than enough base stat increase to pump up its Defense to the numbers Stellar is giving us and increase its Sp.atk an ok amount too. Of the 5 stats Slowbro could have increases in, 2 are just totally pointless wastes of stat, and the average number of stats to get an increase is 4. It's just all around pretty likely that M-Slowbro will have pumped 20 or so of that BST into it's atk or spd, and not that it will actually have 110 going into it's def, sp.def and sp.atk.

EDIT:
That's a problem unless the remakes can share Pokebank with X/Y or someone has a trusty friend to send it to ORAS which I don't have D:
I wouldn't be surprised if there were confirmation of this somewhere and I just haven't seen or been pointed to it yet, but it's just SO unlikely that Pokebank won't work on ORAS. I'm pretty sure you will be able to use it for all 4 games and to take that one step further I imagine you'll be able to use it for every main Pokemon game that comes out on 3DS. And since it's an online server linked to your Nintendo Network ID it's even possible that a similar application on future handhelds will exist and that it can maintain all the Pokemon already in your bank seamlessly (you just link the new application to the same Network ID)
It's kind of my expectation that Pokebank is going to be the future of moving your Pokemon between games and maintaining your Pokemon collection (making dex filling more possible as we creep closer to a 4 digit national dex)

Last edited:
They officially revealed Mega Slowbro during the opening ceremony of the Championships this morning.

Also nice to see that other moves are getting updated animations.
Seeing it in motion made me like the design a hell of a lot more.
And wow, it took that Dragon Claw like a boss!

Mega-Slowbro is a MegaBro. Mega-Audino terrifies me. Please keep that thing from me. I don't mean in an ugly way (even if it kinda is), but those red sad eyes, that angelic look, it looks like it wants to approach me in my sleep with a butcher's knife in hand, and whisper into my ear "Everything is going to be fine, sweetie" in a faux-reassuring way.

Also, I'm glad that there are finally Gen V Megas. Time for Mega-Klinklang plz.

But it has Shell armor it can't crit it and it has around the same power as Knock off D: We only got Solar Beam and T-punch left D:
Either way, Blaziken loses coverage if forced to run something to hit M-Bro. I hope we get megas in Battle Maison/Tower etc. It'd be nice to have that challenge.

Also hope Sacred Fire gets a better animation.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Things involving damage calculations are a big "NO" as a rule of thumb.
Generally speaking, Pokémon shown in promo videos have 31 IVs and 0 EVs. Based on the damage Mega Charizard did in the Mega Slowbro video (29 pixels of damage out of 96 total, or about 30%), Mega Slowbro has at least 155 Defense, with the upper possibility being 195. With 155 Defense, Dragon Claw does 30% minimum. With 195 Defense, Dragon Claw does 30% maximum.
That lasted long, didn't it?

Nah, just kidding. Great analysis!

Tory

Banned deucer.
Since its been 100% confirmed that Mega Slowbro has Shell Armor ability. Do you think it stands a chance against Blaziken? Yes or no? I still believe you will get a Slowpoke in the post game. For instance, Staryu was obtainable in the original Ruby and Sapphire, but Shellder and Slowpoke wasn't. :/

Mega-Slowbro is a MegaBro. Mega-Audino terrifies me. Please keep that thing from me. I don't mean in an ugly way (even if it kinda is), but those red sad eyes, that angelic look, it looks like it wants to approach me in my sleep with a butcher's knife in hand, and whisper into my ear "Everything is going to be fine, sweetie" in a faux-reassuring way.

Also, I'm glad that there are finally Gen V Megas. Time for Mega-Klinklang plz.
Relax, this is Pokemon not Chucky or Lether Face.

Since its been 100% confirmed that Mega Slowbro has Shell Armor ability. Do you think it stands a chance against Blaziken? Yes or no? I still believe you will get a Slowpoke in the post game. For instance, Staryu was obtainable in the original Ruby and Sapphire, but Shellder and Slowpoke wasn't. :/

Relax, this is Pokemon not Chucky or Lether Face.
Who cares about Blaziken ? The game will be easy and Competitive Discussion is forbidden

Well, we don't KNOW that the game will be as easy as XY. I sure hope not. If it is and they keep the new EXP Share mechanics, I think I'll turn it off.

I think it's important to remember that the story is meant to be beatable by 10 year olds, so I doubt they change the EXP Share mechanics or anything like that. If you want a real challenge, you'll have to look at post game stuff probably, which is why I'm dying for a battle frontier remake. If you want to make the story hard, it won't be too difficult as you can avoid using traded pokes, turn off the EXP share, and not use blatantly OP pokes like Mega Blaziken. Those moves alone will probably make it fair without ruining the experience like some challenges do for some people. I don't think difficulty will be a huge issue.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
It didn't look like it "devoured" the Dracon Claw. It seems a +1 Outrage would still be a 2HKO.

EDIT-- Oh look, Stellar has already calculated the damage. Lol, 30%.

Well, we don't KNOW that the game will be as easy as XY. I sure hope not. If it is and they keep the new EXP Share mechanics, I think I'll turn it off.
I think it would be just perfect if they made an easy mode and a hard mode. I have no clue of how that would work, but it would solve a lot of problems...

Im playing with the EXP share turned off, pretending it doesnt exist.
If it comes up to be TOO easy, Ill do the nuzlocke challenge, for fun lol

Also, I think that in the older games it SEEMED to be harder for me because I didnt even have a clue that there even EXISTED such a thing as competetive pokemon. I used things like physical gngars and all, lol.(I didnt know what "special attacks" were, so I assumed they were SPECIAL in some way, like Hyper beam or Giga Impact, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)