Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer - Pokemon Showdown! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
1: Does messing up the Egg Groups of Pokemon have any effect if its in a file for alternate metagames? Or put another way, do egg groups do anything in battle? (Assuming the Pokedex file is even what gets referenced in battle for Pokemon type, which I could be wrong about)

2: Is Arceus' 'base type' (Normal, normally) actually set by changing its type in the Pokedex file or do you have to define it in the 'statuses' file?

3: Does the plate's 'onPlate' entry dictate both Arceus' type and Judgment's type, or does it only do one and something else defines the other?

4: By the same token, am I correct in inferring that Techno Blast's type is defined by the 'onDrive' entry in the Drives?

5: Does the in-battle information display type information ("Fire Blast is Fire type") by simply looking up its coded type (type: "Fire") or is that separate? That is, if you changed a move's type ("Fire Blast is Psychic type") would the in-battle information automatically display the type graphic associated with its current type, or would something else have to be changed to affect that? And the same question in regards to Pokemon typing.

6: Is there some simple obvious way to have an alternate metagame scripted to simply say 'if the Pokedex file or movedex file says X type, then you use Y type, while Y type means Z type, and Z type...' and so on or would it just be easier to create a different reference file from 'scratch'. (As in, making a movedex file for the alternate meta that lists all the moves in full, but with their type changed) Or alternatively, could such a file only include part of the information and the rest would automatically be retrieved from the main movedex file? (eg you list Fire Blast, Fire Blast's id number, and type: "Psychic" and the program will use the type change but otherwise reference the main movedex file for Fire Blast's BP, accuracy, etc)

Last edited:
The answer to 5 and 6 is yes. You can alter the type of any move using only the movedex file. I've done it numerous times in the past.

No no, I was already confident that I could change the type of moves doing this, but in-battle there's the little graphic that's the type's name surrounded by its associated color (eg Grass in green) when you hover over a move, and I'm not clear whether changing a move's type automatically changes that graphic or if a player would be left in the dark that it's not its regular type.

As for 6 the part I think you're responding to is: if I made a file that had Fire Blast, Fire Blast's ID, and listed Type: "Ground", but left out the targeting information and so on, would Showdown look at that, make Fire Blast Psychic, and then notice that the other information is missing and reference the main file to find Fire Blast's accuracy, BP, PP, etc.

Hello, I recently built a new computer and I'm having trouble with Pokemon Showdown. My primary drive is my SSD and my secondary my HDD, which Pokemon Showdown is installed to. The problem is, though, if I close Showdown, my teams disappear, forcing me to use text backups of them all and put my teams in every time I launch the game. When I go to teambuilder and click "Reveal teams folder", it pops up with an error titled "undefined" and says "Windows cannot find 'undefined'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." I'm sure it has something to do with the pathing and how I have it installed on my D drive when it tries to save the teams on my C drive. Is there a way to reroute the pathing? Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I had spent time searching the forums about my issue and was unable to find a solution.
Thanks!

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, I recently built a new computer and I'm having trouble with Pokemon Showdown. My primary drive is my SSD and my secondary my HDD, which Pokemon Showdown is installed to. The problem is, though, if I close Showdown, my teams disappear, forcing me to use text backups of them all and put my teams in every time I launch the game. When I go to teambuilder and click "Reveal teams folder", it pops up with an error titled "undefined" and says "Windows cannot find 'undefined'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." I'm sure it has something to do with the pathing and how I have it installed on my D drive when it tries to save the teams on my C drive. Is there a way to reroute the pathing? Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I had spent time searching the forums about my issue and was unable to find a solution.
Thanks!
You're probably using the downloadable desktop client. In which case, it's a common issue that teams will disappear. I'd recommend simply using showdown over google chrome or firefox. If this is not the case, however, I suggest you just save your teams in a notepad or google driver document.

No no, I was already confident that I could change the type of moves doing this, but in-battle there's the little graphic that's the type's name surrounded by its associated color (eg Grass in green) when you hover over a move, and I'm not clear whether changing a move's type automatically changes that graphic or if a player would be left in the dark that it's not its regular type.

As for 6 the part I think you're responding to is: if I made a file that had Fire Blast, Fire Blast's ID, and listed Type: "Ground", but left out the targeting information and so on, would Showdown look at that, make Fire Blast Psychic, and then notice that the other information is missing and reference the main file to find Fire Blast's accuracy, BP, PP, etc.
5. Yes. It does that automatically

6. No. It requires all of the information on a new move

Hey guys, so 2 days ago i got Internet issues. Im on Mac, (macbook pro whatever).

So I have showdown installed on my mac, not on Internet. Et since then i cant launch Showdown, it keeps telling me to restart my internet box and my launcher, which i did numerous times.

So I was like, whatever, lets reinstall.

Except i cant find my teams. I looked everywhere, in the library, in the showdown hidden folder and such, but I cant find my teams.

The only thing i found in the library (in application support) is this :

But inside of this folder, its only weird blanks numbers folder...

It would be okay with me to restart from scratch...

Except Pokemon is part of my work (no kidding). Im doing live streaming and videos on youtube (its french, you dont know it) and each week i have to build new teams to entertain. So i basically lost 60 teams, and id very much like to reclaim them.

So my question is : any idea where the teams you create goes on a MAC. Its an old installation of showdown i never updated, so i didnt even have the game directory in documents, with "logs" and "teams"

Thank you very much if you can help me,

Fildrong

Last edited:
Hi today on pokemonshowdown when I typed in (BAN ME PLEASE) and pressed enter, it simply just changed to the word poopyhead. what's going on?

1: Does messing up the Egg Groups of Pokemon have any effect if its in a file for alternate metagames? Or put another way, do egg groups do anything in battle? (Assuming the Pokedex file is even what gets referenced in battle for Pokemon type, which I could be wrong about)

Egg groups are irrelevant to battle.

2: Is Arceus' 'base type' (Normal, normally) actually set by changing its type in the Pokedex file or do you have to define it in the 'statuses' file?

Second one.

3: Does the plate's 'onPlate' entry dictate both Arceus' type and Judgment's type, or does it only do one and something else defines the other?

Both.

4: By the same token, am I correct in inferring that Techno Blast's type is defined by the 'onDrive' entry in the Drives?

Indeed.

5: Does the in-battle information display type information ("Fire Blast is Fire type") by simply looking up its coded type (type: "Fire") or is that separate? That is, if you changed a move's type ("Fire Blast is Psychic type") would the in-battle information automatically display the type graphic associated with its current type, or would something else have to be changed to affect that? And the same question in regards to Pokemon typing.

They are different for both cases. Move and pokemon typing is defined client-side. (http://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown-Client)

6: Is there some simple obvious way to have an alternate metagame scripted to simply say 'if the Pokedex file or movedex file says X type, then you use Y type, while Y type means Z type, and Z type...' and so on or would it just be easier to create a different reference file from 'scratch'. (As in, making a movedex file for the alternate meta that lists all the moves in full, but with their type changed) Or alternatively, could such a file only include part of the information and the rest would automatically be retrieved from the main movedex file? (eg you list Fire Blast, Fire Blast's id number, and type: "Psychic" and the program will use the type change but otherwise reference the main movedex file for Fire Blast's BP, accuracy, etc)

You need to use inheritance so that base file data is "inherited" were you to change the typing manually. (e.g. check https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/blob/master/mods/gen1/moves.js#L131)
However, you can also use a simple script and loop over every pokémon/move for a batch modification. (e.g. check https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/blob/master/mods/tiershift/scripts.js)
(Answers in bold)

Hey guys, so 2 days ago i got Internet issues. Im on Mac, (macbook pro whatever).

So I have showdown installed on my mac, not on Internet. Et since then i cant launch Showdown, it keeps telling me to restart my internet box and my launcher, which i did numerous times.

So I was like, whatever, lets reinstall.

Except i cant find my teams. I looked everywhere, in the library, in the showdown hidden folder and such, but I cant find my teams.

The only thing i found in the library (in application support) is this :

But inside of this folder, its only weird blanks numbers folder...

It would be okay with me to restart from scratch...

Except Pokemon is part of my work (no kidding). Im doing live streaming and videos on youtube (its french, you dont know it) and each week i have to build new teams to entertain. So i basically lost 60 teams, and id very much like to reclaim them.

So my question is : any idea where the teams you create goes on a MAC. Its an old installation of showdown i never updated, so i didnt even have the game directory in documents, with "logs" and "teams"

Thank you very much if you can help me,

Fildrong
My Games/Pokemon Showdown/Teams in your Documents folder. If it isn't there, it isn't anywhere.
Also, you don't need to update the downloadable client. It's a single version and will stay like that unless something really exceptional happens. And no, a new Pokémon generation being released is not "exceptional".

Slayer95, your answer is weird to me, because i can't find any other "pokemon showdown" folder on my whole computer.

Is there a (sad) possibility that installing and launching another PS version replaced and erased the older "pokemon showdown" i may not have noticed before, hence deleting all my teams and replacing them by a blank "team" folder?

ok i investigated more, by checking a saved copy of my computer from 2 months ago. So thats the problem i had a hunch about : the old showdown version i had didnt have ANY "pokemon showdown" folder in my documents, so no "Teams" folder as well... So where the heck did go the teams at that time?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
ok i investigated more, by checking a saved copy of my computer from 2 months ago. So thats the problem i had a hunch about : the old showdown version i had didnt have ANY "pokemon showdown" folder in my documents, so no "Teams" folder as well... So where the heck did go the teams at that time?
I was able to find it perfectly fine, so let's try diagnosing the problem by making a random team manually (I still have that app). Go to your Documents folder and make a folder called "My Games". Inside that folder, make another folder called "Pokemon Showdown". Inside this folder make 2 others called "Logs" and "Teams" (All of the folder names are without quotes). Open the teams folder and make a new text document with TextEdit. Call it whatever you want, and make it a plain-text document with a txt extension. Inside of this text file, paste the following code:
Code:
Waluigi @ WAAAAAAAAAA
Ability: WAAAAAAAA
EVs: 13 HP / 37 Atk
Adamant Nature
- WAAAAAAAAA
- WAAAAAAAAA
- WAAAAAAAAA
- WAAAAAAAAA
What's the point of this code? There is none, but it will load as a 1-Pokemon team with an undefined Pokemon anyway if you set it up right (This has been tested via import/export and loading the app itself). If the team loads, make a new one inside the app, close and reopen the app, and tell us your results.

Last edited:
Well, there we get to the big center of the problem. I cant launch this "old app" anymore. It keeps telling me my internet box is disconnected and I cant seem to find how to launch it again. I cant even access teambuilder. Thats why i had to download the latest version of showdown in fact.

I may try my trump card. I will backup the old showdown i have on my external disc on another computer and hope it will be able to launch... More to come soon.

edit : nope, no teams in the showdown, sadface

Last edited:
Well, there we get to the big center of the problem. I cant launch this "old app" anymore. It keeps telling me my internet box is disconnected and I cant seem to find how to launch it again. I cant even access teambuilder. Thats why i had to download the latest version of showdown in fact.

I may try my trump card. I will backup the old showdown i have on my external disc on another computer and hope it will be able to launch... More to come soon.

edit : nope, no teams in the showdown, sadface
Can you screenshot the error message?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)